Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

am i the only that thinks the sims 4 looks empty?

Comments

• Options
    silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    I feel the sims 4 is really empty too, but rather than content, I think the blame lies in the coding of the sims themselves. There are a lot of great items in s4, like the woodworking bench, the jungle adventure statues, and the wishing well, but unless directed, my sims never want to try these items on their own. Instead, they gravitate towards the tv, bookshelf or computer, regardless of traits, making every sim feel like a clone.

This clone-type behaviour makes s4 feel emptier to me, because there are no unique crazy characters (except maybe vlad??) that your sim can meet, so I've yet to be surprised by another sim. While s2 is just as closed off, sims and pets that walk past the house all act differently eg. some will knock, mess up your garden or rant at nothing. It makes the world feel full, because it's filled with different personalities.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Nope. A lot of Game Changers admitted the base game is empty too. I think it was eye opening to a lot of Simmers with the Extra Life stream how much fun the older Sims games were and how much more content and fun they had.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    kaylin205 wrote: »
    Also for double the price, they aren't done milking the cow just yet.

Well they have a long way to go to catch up to Sims 3 - I own everything made by Maxis for sims 3 and It comes to 3600 dollars and that is just things I bought - not including content I was gifted. Now was that milking too - and I don't regret anything and love all the choices I have. I enjoy using all my Sims 3 content, and Sims 2 content and Sims 4 content. Keep in mind no body but each of us makes us buy anything. So a bit hard to call it milking when we are the one who decides to buy the content. Maxis doesn't even go out of their way to show us how much we should want this stuff or need it - so really we decide for ourselves we have to have it. That's not milking where I come from. No one is forced to buy anything. Be glad they make it - it is our choice to buy it or not.

Oh and not double the price Sims 3 eps were 39.99 and sps were 19.99 when the game was being developed and we almost never had all the sales Sims 4 gets. Even one of the sps in Sims 3 was 30.00 when it came out. I bought them all because I liked them - it was my choice - and I never considered that milking either.

The store isn’t essential. And lots of people got items for free through watching ads and registering expansions. I’ve never paid for store content and I have a lot.

Try playing sims 4 without any stuff packs. It will be boring. Sims 3 is playable without store content.

Sims 2 expansions for me were £19.99
    Sims 3 expansions are 29.99 (even now)
    Stuff packs are 12.99 when I bought mine.

Sims 4 expansions are 34.99
    Stuff packs are cheaper but game packs are 17.99. I have all dlc for all three sims games and just missing two or three packs from sims 4 and it’s is the most expensive to date if you own it all, that’s a fact.

For you maybe. I've had plenty of enjoyable simming sessions where I didn't interact with any stuff pack content.

Me too, but I've bought content to flesh it out more so not every session is base game and I'm sure not all of your sessions are either. ;)
    I bought packs rather quickly too (I was late to the TS4 party because I was still playing TS2 and TS3) because the base game does get boring quickly. It lacks a lot. (Which is why I was late to the party because I didn't want to play without toddlers, a base game feature of both TS2 and TS3).

TS4 you definitely get a lot less for your money than ever before and people have a right to be upset.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Camkat wrote: »

Well they have a long way to go to catch up to Sims 3 - I own everything made by Maxis for sims 3 and It comes to 3600 dollars and that is just things I bought - not including content I was gifted. Now was that milking too - and I don't regret anything and love all the choices I have. I enjoy using all my Sims 3 content, and Sims 2 content and Sims 4 content. Keep in mind no body but each of us makes us buy anything. So a bit hard to call it milking when we are the one who decides to buy the content. Maxis doesn't even go out of their way to show us how much we should want this stuff or need it - so really we decide for ourselves we have to have it. That's not milking where I come from. No one is forced to buy anything. Be glad they make it - it is our choice to buy it or not.

Oh and not double the price Sims 3 eps were 39.99 and sps were 19.99 when the game was being developed and we almost never had all the sales Sims 4 gets. Even one of the sps in Sims 3 was 30.00 when it came out. I bought them all because I liked them - it was my choice - and I never considered that milking either.

The store isn’t essential. And lots of people got items for free through watching ads and registering expansions. I’ve never paid for store content and I have a lot.

Try playing sims 4 without any stuff packs. It will be boring. Sims 3 is playable without store content.

Stuff packs are cheaper but game packs are 17.99. I have all dlc for all three sims games and just missing two or three packs from sims 4 and it’s is the most expensive to date if you own it all, that’s a fact.

For you maybe. I've had plenty of enjoyable simming sessions where I didn't interact with any stuff pack content.

Me too, but I've bought content to flesh it out more so not every session is base game and I'm sure not all of your sessions are either. ;)
    I bought packs rather quickly too (I was late to the TS4 party because I was still playing TS2 and TS3) because the base game does get boring quickly. It lacks a lot. (Which is why I was late to the party because I didn't want to play without toddlers, a base game feature of both TS2 and TS3).

TS4 you definitely get a lot less for your money than ever before and people have a right to be upset.

I agree that people have the right to be upset if they think they're getting a lot less for their money. Some of those simmers have stopped buying but others continue to buy and continue to complain. And they use a variety of excuses to explain their behavior. They have to complete the series. There are no other comparable simulation games available. If you're unhappy with S4 just say no. At the least wait a sufficient amount of time after release to be fully informed of what content is available.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

I agree that people have the right to be upset if they think they're getting a lot less for their money. Some of those simmers have stopped buying but others continue to buy and continue to complain. And they use a variety of excuses to explain their behavior. They have to complete the series. There are no other comparable simulation games available. If you're unhappy with S4 just say no. At the least wait a sufficient amount of time after release to be fully informed of what content is available.

I agree with you here. I don't understand the continue to buy but complain bit. I especially don't understand the need to collect them all either (if you don't actually like it. People collect all kinds of things but because they actually like those things.)

EA does need the feedback though, even if I don't believe they listen or care, maybe one day it will sink in and we can see a change. It does also help other people doing research to make their choices on purchases to know all sides. It's not always a bad thing.

• Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I agree with you here. I don't understand the continue to buy but complain bit. I especially don't understand the need to collect them all either (if you don't actually like it. People collect all kinds of things but because they actually like those things.)

I've never understood that either! I buy the packs I like the sound of. I enjoy Sims 4 but I don't need to complete the collection. Complaining but continuing to buy and then make excuses doesn't make sense.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2019
    I have to agree with this post. TS3 is still overwhelming to me. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad. But if I compare TS4 to TS3, there is so much to do, succeed at, play and buy for TS3 I never could get it all done, never did buy all of it, and it was such a huge game, that it sometimes scares me to play it. It's Huge.

I never had some problems other people had. Like the error 12 crashes or a travel bug (didn't ever buy WA), etc. I did have a slow scrolling time in Bridgeport, but loved that world. Absolutely loved it. I also loved the world in Ambitions. Comparing it to TS4's WC is almost a joke. That brige in that world where my Sim could go under it and pretend he was hiding out to stalk a suspect, lol. The marshy type scrub grasses that moved with the wind. I felt all that was amazing. It was so life like to me. There was one house in that area where a premaid lived and it was all piled up with his junk, and the junk yards! I had a lot of fun in that world. Then look at the boardwalk and the extra stuff from the store. Amazing stuff.

I don't know, TS4 seems like a little MySim game compared to TS3. It's more modern and updated than TS2, but still feels like there was so much in TS2 for me to do and create I am still waiting on TS4 to knock my socks off and it hasn't in five years. I don't 'hate' TS4 I just don't get into it or get lost in it and time fly by when I played it. It just doesn't happen. It's more like o.k. what can my Sim do next that would fit their personality and or fit the way I play..not much. There isn't even a Mrs. Crumplebottom who might stop by and throw everyone out of the hottub. Sort of boring in my opinion to be all happy all the time. No one ever walks down the street and just starts fighting, lol, like Benjamin and Goopy or Marsha and someone. It's a litteral snooze fest to me. It's all about the snapchat or something.

Even after all the EPs and GPs (which I refuse to buy some of them) it's still a tiny game and unfortunately we were promised big personalities and bigger and better Sims themselves and I just don't see it. It's slim pickin to try to create eight different Sims for a household when we have had the same aspiratons, skills, and or hobbies and interests and careers these past five years. And duplicate tasks over and over and over and the same overlapped requirements no matter what type of Sim or type of aspiration or career. Boring.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    If you look at purely just TS2, TS3 and TS4 base games and what those offer, TS2 wins hands down for the most value for your buck. You got so much stuff with that base game. They've added onto TS4 over the years but it's still half what TS2 was. TS3 was the start of the down slide, still a lot more on offer at the base, but I think it's when they realized they could hold a lot more off and put it into packs and the store. That said though, they actually had a lot of things crammed into the packs to make it worth the $40 asking price. Now it's like they don't even try to put it in a pack. TS2 had simple things (that likely weren't so simple to make) but simple actions that made it more endearing too. Like opening a drawer to get a spoon when cooking. Going to the store and having a shopping basket with shopping appearing to be in it! TS4 everything just poofs in and out of our sims hands and they poof themselves off to work. Even TS2 had them getting in a car or helicopter even to go to work.

The big excuse for TS4 is smarter sims, but they're not so smart. TS2 sims acknowledged their children when they came home from school. The kids showed off report cards and played with each other. TS3 they did the same sorts of things but I think generations added a lot (probably because people complained they were shallow when compared to the TS2 children). My TS4 sims don't even look at each other anymore! At least my TS3 sims would wave or nod when they walked past someone in the family. So we have less intuitive sims. Less items per pack. Less game play. Same price.

I can find a lot of things I do like about this game, but I'll stick to buying my packs on sale, if even then, depending what's in them.
  • Options
    Yeah, I almost laugh hystericaly when I see a $40 price tag on TS4's EPs. O.K. I actually do, just like an evil Sim.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    It doesn't look, it is.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options

Couldn't agree more.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

I agree. There is also no shame in trying packs when they go 50% off, which they always do, sometimes even weeks after release.

I've stopped buying TS4 DLC altogether because it has begun to feel even 50% off hasn't justified getting some packs (cough* Island Living *cough). I still very much like The Sims, and am eagerly awaiting EA putting some actual care, thought, and complexity into gameplay so I can feel better about buying packs and supporting them again.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2019

Yes, people do complain but some of those complainers are not paying what EA/Maxis wants them to pay and I have no problems with complaining as I never pay what the developer wants me to pay as I pay what I feel it is worth. Complaining is an form of feedback even if EA/Maxis pays no mind. I also do it to other developers as well even if I like it. Sometimes the wait is long, I am an very patient person and have an lot of games on standby.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Do you know, I'm totally baffled by the obsession with cars lately? I can't help wonder if it's only because you haven't got them that you want them...
    I'm actually quite pleased cars aren't in the game - I'm seeing the sims walking around town, not taking a car to drive 30 yards down the road and get out again.

Where I live, I'm in the centre of town so we walk everywhere. We don't take a car, or a cab just to go to the shops. We walk it and that's why I prefer not having cars in Sims 4. The sims in 3 just got obsessive about them and used them, or cabs, to go everywhere. It feels more realistic, for me, to have sims walking around the neighbourhood.
    Your Sims are not walking anywhere they poof into a loading screen.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    edited November 2019

I've never understood that either! I buy the packs I like the sound of. I enjoy Sims 4 but I don't need to complete the collection. Complaining but continuing to buy and then make excuses doesn't make sense.

I might agree with you here. But I'm not one of them. I haven't bought anymore since 2017 not even if it went on sale. My tastes are very particular and it's hard to make me buy something I see as subpar even if on sale. But what I see just as passive agreesive are the statements like: I didn't buy the EP for gameplay but the CAS....$40 for a few more pieces of clothes (which males are rarely included in those pieces of clothing). OK, I guess, that's worth it to them. Ignore the bugs, ignore the subpar gameplay, ignore the tiny towns and give Maxis $40 for a few more clothes. I sort of can't understand that logic, either, all the while saying TS4 is the best game ever but have mods installed so they can stand it. I sort of don't believe that when I know why some buy all the packs just for some more pieces of clothing and keep this thing going telling me it's the best game ever, knowing they use mods or they wouldn't be able to stand it As Is.

On your other comments about cars, that's great you live somewhere where all your shops and entertainment are located on a few close knit streets and you can just walk there. But it's not reality to many of us. The closest major department store or grocery store for me is at least fifteen miles or more. I need a car. Public Transit doesn't run out in rural country. I can't just click M and get a map popup and teleport there.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »

I might agree with you here. But I'm not one of them. I haven't bought anymore since 2017 not even if it went on sale. My tastes are very particular and it's hard to make me buy something I see as subpar even if on sale. But what I see just as passive agreesive are the statements like: I didn't buy the EP for gameplay but the CAS....$40 for a few more pieces of clothes (which males are rarely included in those pieces of clothing). OK, I guess, that's worth it to them. Ignore the bugs, ignore the subpar gameplay, ignore the tiny towns and give Maxis $40 for a few more clothes. I sort of can't understand that logic, either, all the while saying TS4 is the best game ever but have mods installed so they can stand it. I sort of don't believe that when I know why some buy all the packs just for some more pieces of clothing and keep this thing going telling me it's the best game ever, knowing they use mods or they wouldn't be able to stand it As Is.

On your other comments about cars, that's great you live somewhere where all your shops and entertainment are located on a few close knit streets and you can just walk there. But it's not reality to many of us. The closest major department store or grocery store for me is at least fifteen miles or more. I need a car. Public Transit doesn't run out in rural country. I can't just click M and get a map popup and teleport there.

And I'm entering your club. Didn't buy since IL and I won't buy anything more for TS4 until they fix these personalities. I'm having so much fun with TS2 at the moment. I'm kind of bored of TS3 too, but the difference it took me 7 years to get bored versus a few month with TS4.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member
    I feel like it's lacking A LOT. I don't know something about this game just feels empty and uninspired. I DO compare it TS2, didn't play TS3 so I can't compare it to that game, but I don't feel like there's anything wrong with comparing TS4 to the other three iterations, it's common sense to do so. You should want more out of each new game than what was in the previous games, if you get a new phone, car, ect you of course you're going to compare it against previous models, so why wouldn't you do the same with the sims games? One of the thing I really miss is being able to customize things. We can't customize our neighborhoods our apartments and we won't be able to customize our dorm rooms, I'm not talking about redecorating. I also hate the recycling of animations. The sims have less interactions in this games than previous iterations especially the children and the babies are a huge step back. There's not much that makes TS4 feel unique imo everything about it feels half done. TS4 is just O.K. when it could have been outstanding.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

The ones walking around the neighbourhood, I'm talking about. It feels a lot more real than if they're driving past. That's why I prefer it but that's just my opinion. :)
    Cinebar wrote: »

I never said it was. I simply mentioned why it felt more real for me, personally and why I prefer not having my sims hop in a car to drive 30 yards down the road, or get the school bus for the school that's across the road. That's all I was saying. :)
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Do you know, I'm totally baffled by the obsession with cars lately? I can't help wonder if it's only because you haven't got them that you want them...
    I'm actually quite pleased cars aren't in the game - I'm seeing the sims walking around town, not taking a car to drive 30 yards down the road and get out again.

Where I live, I'm in the centre of town so we walk everywhere. We don't take a car, or a cab just to go to the shops. We walk it and that's why I prefer not having cars in Sims 4. The sims in 3 just got obsessive about them and used them, or cabs, to go everywhere. It feels more realistic, for me, to have sims walking around the neighbourhood.
    Plus you can make a sim in TS3 walk anywhere you want to. When I played a homeless sim, of course he automatically wanted to take a cab everytime I sent him somewhere. It's a game though, I just ordered him to walk. So, he walked.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited November 2019
    I personally don't see a need for cars in this particular sims game. Our sims teleport places via loading screen so it seems pointless to have cars. I know some people want them for decoration or an animation of them getting in to the car before it loads but I just don't see the point. Making that animation could be time taken away from making/fixing something else that might make this game more playable. If they want to bring back semi open worlds or fully open worlds in the future though i'm all for it. If not, I say wait for the next one.

Edited for phrasing.
    Post edited by fruitsbasket101 on
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    It will stay as shallow as it is until they fix personalities.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    EuckfaEuckfa Posts: 4 New Member
    I would love to play Sims 3 but it runs like a garbage disposal on 64 bit Windows whereas Sims 4 runs smooth as silk.

Also, quality over quantity. I like that I can redo a sim's look in just a few minutes on TS4 whereas it might take me 10 minutes just to find a proper shirt in TS3 since there's so many choices.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2019
    Euckfa wrote: »
    I would love to play Sims 3 but it runs like a garbage disposal on 64 bit Windows whereas Sims 4 runs smooth as silk.

Also, quality over quantity. I like that I can redo a sim's look in just a few minutes on TS4 whereas it might take me 10 minutes just to find a proper shirt in TS3 since there's so many choices.
    I love to play Sims 3 and it runs smooth as silk. And the reason it takes me ten minutes to redo a sim’s look is CASt. Quality over quantity indeed, love it I can give my sims self designed clothes that way. Not having much to choose from doesn’t define quality.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    For me, the major things that make TS4 feel empty are the lack of the ability to create your own world to play in, start a game with all worlds empty (without save manipulation and reserve saves), or add more lots to worlds; the lopsided emotion system; how poorly integrated traits are; and the length of time it's taken, on average, to add new supernatural content to the game.

All of these things make the game feel smaller by limiting replay value, making our sims feel far less emotionally complex than in TS2 and TS3, and severely limiting the storytelling options for supernatural players for insane lengths of time. Seriously, for two years, if I wanted a non-human sim, all I had was aliens and ghosts. Then, vampires came along and for the next two years I had a whopping THREE options for the NEXT two years (two in CAS, one from going through the arduous process of killing a sim [a real chore in this game without cheats], then re-recruiting them into a household!). TS4 has the best CAS and Build Mode, but content and gameplay wise it's...messy...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    the reason i think the sims 4 is like this to me at least is because the game feels like not alot of love and care was put into it like previous sims games. the dlc always feels rushed and they rehash alot of content with small changes and overall i just feel like there wasnt alot of care put into it like the sims 3 where i can see that the devs really made everythink with care although yes they did rehash content especially on the store but it was better made