Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

am i the only that thinks the sims 4 looks empty?

Comments

• Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 451 Member
    Also for double the price, they aren't done milking the cow just yet.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    kaylin205 wrote: »

Well they have a long way to go to catch up to Sims 3 - I own everything made by Maxis for sims 3 and It comes to 3600 dollars and that is just things I bought - not including content I was gifted. Now was that milking too - and I don't regret anything and love all the choices I have. I enjoy using all my Sims 3 content, and Sims 2 content and Sims 4 content. Keep in mind no body but each of us makes us buy anything. So a bit hard to call it milking when we are the one who decides to buy the content. Maxis doesn't even go out of their way to show us how much we should want this stuff or need it - so really we decide for ourselves we have to have it. That's not milking where I come from. No one is forced to buy anything. Be glad they make it - it is our choice to buy it or not.

Oh and not double the price Sims 3 eps were 39.99 and sps were 19.99 when the game was being developed and we almost never had all the sales Sims 4 gets. Even one of the sps in Sims 3 was 30.00 when it came out. I bought them all because I liked them - it was my choice - and I never considered that milking either.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    glad to see alot of people agree with me here. the sims 4 feels cheaper than the sims 3 which is the biggest part of the problem and i honestly lost hope for the sims 4 at this point being better than sims 3 :/ i mean how dont we have cars yet???
    edited November 2019
    adamzaid wrote: »
    glad to see alot of people agree with me here. the sims 4 feels cheaper than the sims 3 which is the biggest part of the problem and i honestly lost hope for the sims 4 at this point being better than sims 3 :/ i mean how dont we have cars yet???

So your problem with Sims 4 feeling empty is not all the stuff some think are missing but the fact it is just missing cars. Do you feel the same way over Sims 1 seeing it not only did not have personal owned cars, it had no days off from work or school, was missing entire life stages, I don't believe it ever had Seasons - although you could vacation in a seasonal place, it never had personal cars either and it actually had real roads which Sims 4 doesn't have - it has paths made to look like roads in fx and walking paths only. It would have been easier to have personal cars in Sims 1 and it never did. So do you dislike that Sims game too? Just curious, not trying to be rude - if you would call that one empty and it was missing a lot that Sims 4 is not, yet is the game that launched and started our love of the Sims games.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Do you know, I'm totally baffled by the obsession with cars lately? I can't help wonder if it's only because you haven't got them that you want them...
    I'm actually quite pleased cars aren't in the game - I'm seeing the sims walking around town, not taking a car to drive 30 yards down the road and get out again.

Where I live, I'm in the centre of town so we walk everywhere. We don't take a car, or a cab just to go to the shops. We walk it and that's why I prefer not having cars in Sims 4. The sims in 3 just got obsessive about them and used them, or cabs, to go everywhere. It feels more realistic, for me, to have sims walking around the neighbourhood.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    okay 1. what do some of ya'll have against walking? with the way the game's set up we don't need cars

and 2. i think how "empty" the game feels depends on how you play. if you're constantly playing the same sort of thing (family, single sim, occult, etc), or playing the game a lot in general, then mix it up a little. play a style you wouldn't usually play. try a challenge if you don't usually do them. take a step back from the game for a month or two and then come back to it. and if you still truly feel it's "empty", then there's no one forcing you to keep playing
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • kittykat97kittykat97 Posts: 61 Member
    Honestly I think the engine was the biggest downfall of the Sims 4. TS4 feels a lot closer to TS1 than any of the others in terms of built-in limitations, and don't get me wrong, I love TS1, it's clearly outdated. To me, it seems like EA was much more concerned with having a game that LOOKED like it ran smoothly, even when it didn't, than they were with making a game that actually ran smoothly and was enjoyable to play.

Mods are its only saving grace, in my opinion, and even then, with the constant updates, I get fed up with having to keep my mods up to date. I truthfully can't wait for The Sims 4 to be FINISHED. I don't even necessarily care if they start on TS5 (which they most likely will, because $$$). I just want it to be over with so that I can shop for mods and know that anything uploaded after a certain date is compatible, and use them to make the game I wanted TS4 to be from the get-go.
    Kat | 25 | they/them | KatJustice97 on the gallery (check CC enabled) | I have 3700+ hours logged in the Sims 4, well over half of it in CAS
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    There is not necessarily something wrong with a game just because its layout doesn't appeal to everyone's tastes. When that happens, you go and play something else - like a previous iteration or a Grand Theft Auto game, or whatever.

Whatever this alleged emptiness covers, the very basic design of the game world won't likely get revamped. And then just to have the complainers complain again about something new a couple of weeks later? That is sadly often the nature of these things ;)

Perhaps The Sims 5 will be an open world. I would accept The Sims 4 for what it is and move on.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited November 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Well they have a long way to go to catch up to Sims 3 - I own everything made by Maxis for sims 3 and It comes to 3600 dollars and that is just things I bought - not including content I was gifted. Now was that milking too - and I don't regret anything and love all the choices I have. I enjoy using all my Sims 3 content, and Sims 2 content and Sims 4 content. Keep in mind no body but each of us makes us buy anything. So a bit hard to call it milking when we are the one who decides to buy the content. Maxis doesn't even go out of their way to show us how much we should want this stuff or need it - so really we decide for ourselves we have to have it. That's not milking where I come from. No one is forced to buy anything. Be glad they make it - it is our choice to buy it or not.

Oh and not double the price Sims 3 eps were 39.99 and sps were 19.99 when the game was being developed and we almost never had all the sales Sims 4 gets. Even one of the sps in Sims 3 was 30.00 when it came out. I bought them all because I liked them - it was my choice - and I never considered that milking either.

The store isn’t essential. And lots of people got items for free through watching ads and registering expansions. I’ve never paid for store content and I have a lot.

Try playing sims 4 without any stuff packs. It will be boring. Sims 3 is playable without store content.

Sims 2 expansions for me were £19.99
    Sims 3 expansions are 29.99 (even now)
    Stuff packs are 12.99 when I bought mine.

Sims 4 expansions are 34.99
    Stuff packs are cheaper but game packs are 17.99. I have all dlc for all three sims games and just missing two or three packs from sims 4 and it’s is the most expensive to date if you own it all, that’s a fact.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member

The store isn’t essential. And lots of people got items for free through watching ads and registering expansions. I’ve never paid for store content and I have a lot.

Try playing sims 4 without any stuff packs. It will be boring. Sims 3 is playable without store content.

Stuff packs are cheaper but game packs are 17.99. I have all dlc for all three sims games and just missing two or three packs from sims 4 and it’s is the most expensive to date if you own it all, that’s a fact.

For you maybe. I've had plenty of enjoyable simming sessions where I didn't interact with any stuff pack content.
    edited November 2019

Well I guess it depends on where you live but the prices I gave is the prices I paid at Origin or Amazon. I did not care much for most of the rabbit holes that were not essential so I bought the working businesses from the store. They are a lot of fun and you can physically go into them and make stuff and buy stuff. If you preferred rabbit holes then I guess you didn't need the store. I also love the Unique worlds in the store - the game had very few like them - so I bought them as well - if you didn't like them well I see your point in not paying for them either but my choice was I had to have them. Back in those days I had less time to be here and less time to watch ads for tiny bits of money for hours. I did get some good deals in that machine they had that would finish a package if you had part of it, especially furniture and clothing sets. Eventually I had the whole store. But the prices I gave are the prices I paid in the USA.

You say Sims 4 eps are 34.99 but my husband just pre-ordered and pre-paid for Discover University and paid 42.99 for it - that includes taxes of 3 dollars. That's what I paid for every Sims 4 ep that I have bought. I have been gifted some as well. Thank goodness seeing I don't have the kind of money I had during Sims 3 days - illness like mine takes care of that. But I am not missing any packs and enjoy them all. I do not find the game empty or boring - believe me it is a good thing as it keeps me smiling and my mind busy when other wise I couldn't do anything else between treatments. Maybe I have good reason to like it because of my situation - I can't say - I just know that I do and it just makes me happy.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    for the people that is enjoying the game, good for you? let people have different opinions

We are. We're just expressing our opinions, too. Because not everybody feels like they're having to settle. Some of us don't feel the quality has dropped. So those statements don't apply to everybody - just those who don't approve of the directions to developers have chosen to take.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Prink34320V2Prink34320V2 Posts: 156 Member
    I'll be honest, I actually feel the opposite.

I tried to play The Sims 3 last week, and to me it felt empty, fun but not as enjoyable, and honestly easier than The Sims 4. I didn't really experience any bugs either, despite having all packs and a tonne of store content installed, which made me love my laptop more lol I just didn't enjoy it as much as The Sims 4, heck, The Sims 2 had more playtime from me despite owning it for a shorter period of time.

Don't get me wrong, The Sims 4 definitely has infuriating problems, but I think when it comes to enjoyability, difficulty, and content it largely depends on how you play and your preferences.

Here's hoping The Sims 5 can give us a game we can all enjoy without EA trying to cut even more corners. Seriously though, please stop shortening Sim animations thanks.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Here's hoping The Sims 5 can give us a game we can all enjoy without EA trying to cut even more corners.
    There is no pleasing everybody and business sometimes dictates corners be cut. I'd say it would be naive to expect otherwise, and I predict there will continue to be issues for people to complain about. Perhaps just different ones :)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    You are not alone at all! Im surprised you thought that.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    I don't feel The Sims 4 is empty - far from it. I also don't compare it to The Sims 3, as the two games were made very differently. I grow weary of this neverending comparison game between the two. A lot of things were not right with The Sims 3. People tend to forget that in their glorification of it. Just saying :)
    So, in short: “I don’t like comparing two games but one of them is not right but people forget that.”
    That’s more than just comparing, that’s comparing plus telling everybody with a different opinion they’re delusional.
    Just saying.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited November 2019

That’s like calling Ikea an expensive store because when you add up everything you can buy there, you’d be bankrupt. When you list all the EP’s, you have everything you really need for the Sims 3 experience. Most of the Store doesn’t add much else than paint, most of the SP’s as well. It sure was milking, it sure wasn’t necessary to complete your game though.

In the meantime each and every pack for Sims 4 adds gameplay and therefore each and every pack will have something in there that makes it essential for players to buy. Which is exactly why they do. A highly praised fact, in reality of course nothing else than a very smart move.

So, if we add it all up, disregarding the paint (sorry but as addicted as I am, I never spent €3600 on Sims 3 which actually includes a lot of paint), that’s a basegame + 11 EP’s for Sims 3 = € 500,-. That’s what it took to have the content comparable to everything Sims 4 needs to have a remotely similar gameplay experience. I stopped counting, but how much will it be when University will be released? Have we reached € 700 already? I’m quite sure we have.

Sims 3 was a milk cow. Sims 4 is a perfected milk cow. Sims 4 will last about ten years, will cost a lot more than its predecessors and about everything in it is inferior to comparable content in its predecessors.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I don't feel The Sims 4 is empty - far from it. I also don't compare it to The Sims 3, as the two games were made very differently. I grow weary of this neverending comparison game between the two. A lot of things were not right with The Sims 3. People tend to forget that in their glorification of it. Just saying :)
    So, in short: “I don’t like comparing two games but one of them is not right but people forget that.”
    That’s more than just comparing, that’s comparing plus telling everybody with a different opinion they’re delusional.
    Just saying.

"there are things not right with X" =/= "X is not right"

just saying.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Just saying.

"there are things not right with X" =/= "X is not right"

just saying.
    Point is, nobody claims everything about Sims 3 was right, nobody ‘forgets’ that in their ‘glorification’. And point is, if you don’t like comparing, don’t compare. Instead of doing it yourself anyway and on top of that tell others their comparison isn’t valid because they’re forgetting things.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    People are always going to compare both games whether anyone, even EA, likes it or not. They all share the same name, despite having a different number at the end.

I think EA hasn’t really changed the core of the game too much, and has just been replacing fun, working systems with ones that are just changed for the sake of it (biggest example are Wants replaces by Whims and recycling traits in a game where they don’t really belong there). It does feel like I’m playing the same game I’ve played twice before, minus the things that made each great.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Well I guess it depends on where you live but the prices I gave is the prices I paid at Origin or Amazon. I did not care much for most of the rabbit holes that were not essential so I bought the working businesses from the store. They are a lot of fun and you can physically go into them and make stuff and buy stuff. If you preferred rabbit holes then I guess you didn't need the store. I also love the Unique worlds in the store - the game had very few like them - so I bought them as well - if you didn't like them well I see your point in not paying for them either but my choice was I had to have them. Back in those days I had less time to be here and less time to watch ads for tiny bits of money for hours. I did get some good deals in that machine they had that would finish a package if you had part of it, especially furniture and clothing sets. Eventually I had the whole store. But the prices I gave are the prices I paid in the USA.

You say Sims 4 eps are 34.99 but my husband just pre-ordered and pre-paid for Discover University and paid 42.99 for it - that includes taxes of 3 dollars. That's what I paid for every Sims 4 ep that I have bought. I have been gifted some as well. Thank goodness seeing I don't have the kind of money I had during Sims 3 days - illness like mine takes care of that. But I am not missing any packs and enjoy them all. I do not find the game empty or boring - believe me it is a good thing as it keeps me smiling and my mind busy when other wise I couldn't do anything else between treatments. Maybe I have good reason to like it because of my situation - I can't say - I just know that I do and it just makes me happy.

I have all the worlds, I bought three and the rest I got with sim points. I was gifted Lunar lakes. I have the toy shop and the bistro too. The latter which I admit I don’t use too often, I do really enjoy many of the sets but I wouldn’t pay for store content other than the worlds I paid for. I played the game for years without.

I’m really glad you enjoy the sims 4 and I hope you love university.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

I do not think people forget anything as you cannot speak for me or anyone else but yourself. Let's be real Sims 4 will always be compared to Sims 3 or even Sims 2 as it was supposed to be the next step in the Sims series and for me I am sorry Sims 4 missed the boat. You may enjoy and that is good for you but maybe not for others. As far as things not being right with Sims 3, I can say the same about Sims 4.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • kittykat97kittykat97 Posts: 61 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    It does feel like I’m playing the same game I’ve played twice before, minus the things that made each great.

I wholeheartedly agree. The biggest improvement made between TS3 and 4 in my opinion was in Create-A-Sim, and only regarding the actual genetic features of the sims, not even clothing.
    Kat | 25 | they/them | KatJustice97 on the gallery (check CC enabled) | I have 3700+ hours logged in the Sims 4, well over half of it in CAS