Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coats in doors!

SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
It drives me crazy seeing sims indoors with their coats on during fall and winter and it got me wondering how everybody else deals with it. Do you just live with the coats in doors or do you have some kind of work around? So far in my game I've been setting two outfits for cold weather the main one a coat and the second one a warm looking sweater but I'm finding it really tiresome always telling my sims to change into the correct outfits. I'm actually considering just not using coats for my sims anymore. I wish it worked like it did the the Sims 2. I remember they would change automatically when they went indoors.

Obviously the ideal choice is to use the thermostat but sadly a lot of my sims can't afford it since it makes the bills triple.

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I use the thermostat.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Little Miss Sam has a mod for changing back into everyday after being outside in the cold, as I've found even the thermostat doesn't always work for that.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I wear coats inside actually, so it doesn't bother me.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I use mccc dresser. Or the thermostat.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,381 Member
    On my games thermostat doesn't help much because my Sims won't take off their cold weather outfits when they go outside and then come back in. It doesn't matter if there is a thermostat, they will just continue wearing their jackets and gloves and beanies inside.
    I usually make them change back to everyday wear, but sometimes it's annoying because they like to go outside a lot and it becomes a chore to try to keep them wearing proper clothes.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Never bothered me like at all
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    It’s really weird. I live in Canada and I’ve never known anyone to come in from a snowy day in the winter, leave their big parka on, and sit down on the couch as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

Thank god there’s a mod that solves the issue.
  • Maus652Maus652 Posts: 226 Member
    If you taught in the classroom I do, you'd wear your coats indoors too :lol:
    moPdFIb.jpg
    📷Photographer | Lexophile | 📚Book worm | ❄✊🐭
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I'm a bit ocd so I always outfit them with one really cold outdoor coat, hat, mittens etc for when it's snowing, then one slightly warmer one with coat but no hat and gloves for when it's cold but not snowing, then the remaining slots are filled with warm indoor outfits for when it's cold in the house. So I make them change according to the situation.

I don't mind doing this. What does bug me is my teens going off to high school in their pyjamas and bare feet.
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Little Miss Sam has a mod for changing back into everyday after being outside in the cold, as I've found even the thermostat doesn't always work for that.

I just started using this mod as the thermostat was not helping with this problem at all and it was starting to make me crazy. I also got her automatic thermostat mod. Once you "upgrade" your thermostat it will automatically get warmer or cooler depending on the weather.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    RedShoe7 wrote: »
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

I just started using this mod as the thermostat was not helping with this problem at all and it was starting to make me crazy. I also got her automatic thermostat mod. Once you "upgrade" your thermostat it will automatically get warmer or cooler depending on the weather.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll give these two mods a try.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I hope we'll get a proper script for changing clothes. It was implemented in TS3 after all. I like immersion :)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    My main sim is a vampire, so I'm always having to manually change his hot/cold weather outfits anyway. Temperature extremes can't kill him of course, but my vampire still likes to feel comfortable (poor baby is always room temperature since he's well...dead) and wouldn't live anywhere without a thermostat. :D I tend to be ridiculously particular in CAS and like to make sure I have both indoor and outdoor outfits for hot/cold weather to suit different temperatures/seasons. I change them manually as appropriate.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    I hope we'll get a proper script for changing clothes. It was implemented in TS3 after all. I like immersion :)

One of my minor peeves. If they can change clothes when going outdoors in the cold, they should have enough sense to change back when they come inside and the heat is on (or not needed, as when the temperature is 'low blue'). It also annoys me that they almost inevitably change into regular clothing - not warm weather clothes - after showering, even if it's already hot. I tend to forget, and then I've got to interrupt whatever they're doing because they're suddenly broiling. ('Well, my silly Sim, if you'd paid attention to the calendar, you wouldn't have this problem, would you? But no, you chose to wear your turtleneck on a day when a heat wave was predicted.") On the other hand, it's just as well on those 'mystery' days, since it's usually better to just wait out the weird weather than to bother with changing clothes.

You can turn off temperature effects in the game, or give your Sim the impervious to heat and cold traits, but I'm not that fond of these solutions. It's sort of the whole point of Seasons, after all. I'd rather make them change into the proper clothing.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    I use normal clothes for outdoor, since I don't like the look of most of the outdoor stuff. You can untick the "outdoor" tag on CAS and there's a perk you can buy to avoid getting freezing cold.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    On my games thermostat doesn't help much because my Sims won't take off their cold weather outfits when they go outside and then come back in. It doesn't matter if there is a thermostat, they will just continue wearing their jackets and gloves and beanies inside.
    I usually make them change back to everyday wear, but sometimes it's annoying because they like to go outside a lot and it becomes a chore to try to keep them wearing proper clothes.

Same for me. It doesn't matter if I have a thermostat and/ or fireplaces, lots of the time sims don't change back from cold weather clothes after being outside.
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »

Same for me. It doesn't matter if I have a thermostat and/ or fireplaces, lots of the time sims don't change back from cold weather clothes after being outside.

Same for me too. That's why I usually don't use the outdoor clothes, because I don't like how they look and most of the time they just keep them indoors, and I find it really annoying.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I do nt understand how this could not be fixed? I have a thermostat and STILL my sims wear their coats inside the house everytime they came from outside. This is insane. Who visits someones houses and leaves their coat on?! It is actually poorly mannered.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    The two mods mentioned above work great. Thank you so much for suggesting them.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I've been using a mod of some kind for this problem since Seasons was released for Sims2. I'm not kidding. This issue has been attached to Seasons since having weather became a thing in a Sims game. Three different iterations, all with a Seasons EP, and all three iterations need a mod because our Sims won't change back into normal clothing after coming inside. Of all the things the devs could have brought into Sims4 from Sims2 and 3, this irritation managed to sneak into Sims4. For the third time! :D The funniest part of this is, the devs have never been able to fix it. :D
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I just get my sims to change back to everyday outfit.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    edited November 2019
    Sharonia wrote: »
    It drives me crazy seeing sims indoors with their coats on during fall and winter and it got me wondering how everybody else deals with it. Do you just live with the coats in doors or do you have some kind of work around? So far in my game I've been setting two outfits for cold weather the main one a coat and the second one a warm looking sweater but I'm finding it really tiresome always telling my sims to change into the correct outfits. I'm actually considering just not using coats for my sims anymore. I wish it worked like it did the the Sims 2. I remember they would change automatically when they went indoors.

Obviously the ideal choice is to use the thermostat but sadly a lot of my sims can't afford it since it makes the bills triple.

I, too, in CAS make two cold outfits using the sweaters as one (I love sweaters in RL), and a coat, hat, gloves, snow boots as the other.
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I use the thermostat.

I saw that my Sims were all walking around totally bundled up indoors. I checked ye olde thermostat and it was set to Warmer. Plus the fireplaces were ablaze. What is up with that? It used to work.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I'm a bit ocd so I always outfit them with one really cold outdoor coat, hat, mittens etc for when it's snowing, then one slightly warmer one with coat but no hat and gloves for when it's cold but not snowing, then the remaining slots are filled with warm indoor outfits for when it's cold in the house. So I make them change according to the situation.

I don't mind doing this. What does bug me is my teens going off to high school in their pyjamas and bare feet.

Or my teens, especially the one girl, who wears her spaghetti strap sun dress out in the frigid air!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Well, you guys, the modder LittleMsSam has made a mod that fixes this dressing issue.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• NannoAnnoNannoAnno Posts: 1 New Member
    > @Sharonia said:
    > The two mods mentioned above work great. Thank you so much for suggesting them.

What are these specifically called? I can find the auto thermostat but I have a hard time finding the "automatic change out of outdoors wear" mod