Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Generating new townies vs using existing Sims

So when Realm of Magic was released a lot of people complained that the game turned existing Sims into spellcasters and used them as NPCs at the Magic Realm. Well, if the game wasn’t allowed to use existing Sims, then it would need to generate brand new Sims to fill these NPC roles. At the same time, many players seem to hate the fact that the game always generate an endless number of townies. So the question is: do you prefer the game generating as many Sims as possible, or using existing Sims as much as possible?

qidpmcvgek8y.png

Generating new townies vs using existing Sims 66 votes

Generating as many new townies as possible to fill NPC roles
33%
MeteoraStormalanmichael1LizzychicagoMissyHissyAlwe1507graventheLissyK9CheiriPixieSelinaKylesFelicity1169fiercephoenix91EnkiSchmidtOldeseadoggeFurSimsOfficialHopeyStarraleki_ShadimeNorthDakotaGamerPeppermixBobisbaeSERVERFRA 22 votes
Using existing Sims as much as possible to fill NPC roles
66%
Akl500PjeepjeepcatimhappySleepycatDSLBloosmooasimbsimelanorbretonloubyloulouAmj1995RebeccaThurstontaydevduhboy2u2phantasmkissfallenangel66AlourraBabykittyjadeQueenEcheveriaLoriTSpColey666EdieAppleby 44 votes

Comments

• Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I'd prefer the use of existing townies.
    With the caveat that they stay in that same role. So like, if Katrina Caliente shows up at a celeb lounge as a bouncer, let her be the bouncer as her job. If Johnny Zest becomes a spellcaster, let him be one and don't rotate in another townie the next time my Sim visits the Realm. Same for all the other NPC jobs (obviously replacing the Sims if they happen to die) And flag the RoM Sages to not be getting random jobs around town.
  • Options
    fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    The problem is that most feel that ROM should have had its own NPCs instead of appropriating sims from other packs.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I mean, I don't care if it takes from my pool of homeless sims and makes them bartenders or waiters, but spellcasters?
    I already got around this by disallowing any sims apart from the sages from going to the magic realm though, so I'm satisfied.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited November 2019
    I want the game to use the already existing random townies that are in my game and stop generating new ones. Do not use premade families that are living in homes, I don't care if they're currently unplayed, I might have plans for them farther down the line. I play with the premade families a lot. I have made over many of the random townies and I keep them in my game for a purpose, use them.

I had to roll back my game to an earlier backup and download mods when realm of magic released in order to have my premades left untouched by the expansion. I was overall very annoyed about it.

Currently I have NPCC mod installed in order to keep the generation of random townies at a minimum. The game was driving me bonkers generating so many every day I played. I couldn't possibly keep up with them for makeovers and deleting them just resulted in more and more being generated. It's an absolutely horrible design to have the game just keep generating new townies at the rate it does endlessly.
  • Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    The game does both and it's a problem. It pools from existing sims for npc roles while still generating random townies. ROM seems to have just exacerbated the problem. I'd rather we generate sims only for new npc roles and only allow premades to fill these roles if the player sets it up that way.
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    don't care. i don't have RoM so i don't know how spellcasters work, but for bartenders/entertainers/caterers/waiters/etc, i don't give a rat toot who they use
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I want the game to use the already existing random townies that are in my game and stop generating new ones. Do not use premade families that are living in homes, I don't care if they're currently unplayed, I might have plans for them farther down the line. I play with the premade families a lot. I have made over many of the random townies and I keep them in my game for a purpose, use them.

I had to roll back my game to an earlier backup and download mods when realm of magic released in order to have my premades left untouched by the expansion. I was overall very annoyed about it.

Currently I have NPCC mod installed in order to keep the generation of random townies at a minimum. The game was driving me bonkers generating so many every day I played. I couldn't possibly keep up with them for makeovers and deleting them just resulted in more and more being generated. It's an absolutely horrible design to have the game just keep generating new townies at the rate it does endlessly.

This!
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I love it when the game uses existing Sims, especially my own Sims! Sometimes I stop playing a Sim for a bit so I can watch another of my Sims who was randomly generated in a scene.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    I’ve seen Eliza pancake as a bouncer. I’d prefer newly generated sims for npc roles. I’ve seen other ppl had Vlad as a receptionist at the hospital as well. I wish it weren’t like this
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited November 2019
    I don't care what randomly generated townies the game is using for spellcasters, as long as it won't use premade Sims. I really don't want to see Sims like Geoffrey Landgraab or Bob Pancakes etc casting spells.

On my first RoM game play there were no one else but sages and premade Sims in realm. I had to delete that save and grab a bunch of spellcasters from the gallery and add them to the new save before I started the actual game. It worked, I haven't seen any premades in realm, yet.

I wish that they'd tag the premades so that they couldn't become spellcasters unless the player wants to take them to realm and do it.
  • Options
    aleki_Shadimealeki_Shadime Posts: 27 Member
    I have a lot of families set up in my saves and when I see someone that's supposed to be snobby and rich being a waiter or bouncer it is really annoying.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    The only reason I don't pack my saves with self-made Sims is that the game still makes and uses randomized townies. Gaaame, stahp. No mas, por favor. I semi-regularly stop playing just to go into manage households and delete as many as possible.

I haven't played RoM yet, I'm waiting for a sale and a special occasion, but if it wants to randomly make spellcasters out of game-Sims, it can go right ahead. I'd much prefer that over yet more weird random townies.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I don’t often use occults, but if a sim is generated as one or is introduced via a pack, I prefer that. What I don’t like is when existing sims are suddenly changed from who they’ve always been.
  • Options
    RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    edited November 2019
    I don't really pay much attention to I would say 95% of the npc pre-made sims so even though I voted for existing sims, it really doesn't matter. It actually makes sense to introduce new ones as it's opening up a whole new area. With something like spellcasting though I think it also makes sense that you would see preexisting sims there too because they may have had hidden magical talent they kept hidden until now and are drawn to the area just as our sims are in the stories we create for them.

EDITED TO ADD: I do agree that some sims should be exempt from taking npc roles. If it is a sim I created then no they shouldn't be taking on any npc roles. I seen one of my own sims as a bouncer in a club. She is a writer and for her it just didn't make sense in any way for her to be doing that. I guess my line in the sand would be if they are from a played household or not. If it is a played character it is usually for a reason and the game shouldn't mess with those ones. Any other ones though are fair game.
  • Options
    Amj1995Amj1995 Posts: 4,068 Member
    I actually created a bunch of spellcasters for that reason and every time I create a new game, I’ll add them to fill in those spots.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I find it plausible that Travis Scott or Johnny Zest would want to try their hands at magic. Why not? I don't feel Sims should be locked in their basegame roles.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited November 2019
    I would have preferred it came with preexisting spellcasters rather than pulling from other sims or generating new ones.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited November 2019
    Amj1995 wrote: »
    I actually created a bunch of spellcasters for that reason and every time I create a new game, I’ll add them to fill in those spots.

I'm doing something similar for my police sims, but the game still thinks it needs to introduce its own sims. In addition to my (currently) five played cops I have sixteen unplayed ones for the game to choose from as co-workers. One would think this is enough, but it obviously is not.

I really wish we could click somewhere to see the exact role requirements (skills, career level, traits) so that we can create sims to meet those requirements. For example the forensic lab workers at the police station are always either game generated sims OR my lowest ranking played police cadet. So I assume the forensics role requires a rookie, but what else would this sim need to be have? I can only guess.

Anyway, on topic: Hands off already existing sims. Even if they are unhoused, unplayed and even unfavorited, they have a specific place in my game that I do not wish to get changed.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I prefer they use existing sims, but make all favorited families exempt. That way I can easily indicate per save whose fates I want to control and who I'm ok with the game making decisions for.

Since they didn't do that, I'll have to go into every premade family I have long term plans for and make sure I've played them for at least a few sim hours so the game flags them as played and they don't get turned into spellcasters. That's not a huge inconvenience, since because I couldn't afford to buy RoM right away I have advance warning and cane make plans to get that done before I install it. But just marking them as favorites would be much faster, if favorites were protected.
  • Options
    CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    Some where in between, I'd rather the game used "currently not in world" sims to fill these roles, rather than pulling from premade families, that I might not have played yet, but form my sims wider circle of friends (neighbours etc) Its jarring to see Bob Pancakes practising magic when I didn't tell him to!
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Sims that are regular domestic premades (Goths, Pancakes, Caliente, etc.) should be allowed to remain in thier human roles, not be poached for making magic world NPCs. Flip side of same coin, the magic realm folks (especially the sages!) should not be tagged for NPC roles in the normal realms.
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    i feel like even when the game generates sims for roles it never seems to be "satisfied". e.g. i edit 5 bartenders, the game generates 10 more ugly ones that i also need to edit. so idk... it's annoying either way.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @poltergeist Live and let live? :)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    @poltergeist Live and let live? :)
    save myself the headache and just enjoy my game? ridiculous idea, never. 😨
    i am throwing every townie in the trash can where they belong.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    I don't mind them doing this with homeless sims but it annoys me to no end to see sims from the neighborhood or gallery assigned roles and jobs. Gunther Goth should not be a bar tender at the Stangerville bar for example the same way the Pancakes shouldn't be turned into spellcasters out of nowhere.