March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Thread for Tara2018

igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
This is a new thread for @Tara2018 as the original discussion has since been locked up for having started with a necro post. We are now talking about desktops (not laptops as prior) to play TS3/4 in the $600-700 USD range.

I would suggest starting with this model on Amazon which I am currently seeing for $632 as I don't think we're going to be able to work an SSD, especially one of sufficient size, into a desktop while staying under budget. Let's see if we get any suggestions from those with more refined shopping skills. :)
o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
NRaas has moved!
Our new site is at http://nraas.net

Comments

• Tara2018Tara2018 Posts: 14 New Member
    May I ask how that will play the sims 3(graphics, lag, etc.)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The processor and graphics card will run the game on high settings as well as most upper end desktops can. We always advise keeping Lot Draw Distance on 2 and Water/Mirrors on one of the medium settings on most systems because the benefits the higher settings provide are usually, for most players, not worth the drag on resources.

An SSD (Solid State Drive) would be better for TS3 when it comes to CAS and Build/Buy Category displays, caching, starting up and save times. For actual gameplay and for TS4 the drive type will make no difference or at least not much of one. Admittedly the graphics card could be stronger, but a 1050Ti already has more strength and video memory than TS3 can really use. Future proofing a system for other games would require a stronger graphics card and possibly more RAM, but those would drive up the price tag considerably and would most likely take us out of the $600-700 range. Although on the RAM point, more can usually be added to such a system later as needed without too much bother. TS3 can only use up to around 4 GB of RAM itself, so where having more than 8 GB helps is when one wants to run other programs like web browsers alongside of the game without having to keep quitting the other programs to avoid resource overload. On 8 GB I did have to keep quitting my web browser when I was ready to return to a paused game, on 16 GB I never feel the need to do that unless my browser is getting carried away with everything it was trying to display in too many tabs.

To be fair, all we can really provide are reasonable expectations. Every player has their own style of play and collections of must-have CC and mods that are going to behave differently on the exact same system. I don't actually own this computer, but have recommended it and others in its product line a few times and have not yet had a player return to beat me over the head with it because their games won't run as they wanted (not that such is really much of a testimonial, I guess).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Thank you so much!
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I smell catnip.

@Tara2018 The single biggest determining factor for how a computer will run Sims 3 or 4, assuming all its hardware is sufficient, is the strength of the graphics card. An Nvidia 1050 ti will currently run both games on ultra graphics settings, but Sims 4 is of course still in development—future expansion packs may raise the requirements for the highest settings a bit. So you may want a stronger card for the sake of futureproofing, or if you like using lots of custom content, or if you're considering playing other games.

The other major consideration in this category of desktop is the primary hard drive. Sims 3 will load everything (startup, CAS and Build/Buy, travel transitions, etc.) much faster if it's installed on a solid state drive; Sims 4 will initially load faster on an SSD but otherwise run just as well if it's on a mechanical drive. Windows will also run faster on an SSD, as will many other apps. But SSDs are more expensive than HDDs, so the options usually end up being a single large HDD, a single small SSD, or a combination even smaller SSD and large HDD.

Which option is best for you will depend on your plans for this computer. A 500 GB drive will fit TS3 and TS4 comfortably, all saves included, plus plenty of small apps like browsers. If you wanted to play other large games though, or store large amounts of data (music, photos, etc.), you might start to run out of space. On the other hand, both internal and external HDDs are cheap, and it's easy to install a secondary internal drive if you decide you need one later.

On that note, I found a few options that have better graphics cards, and stronger processors as well, than the one listed. This is as low as I'd go, at $560. It has a single 1 TB HDD and a card that should always run TS4 on ultra.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-N50-600-UR12-Desktop-i5-8400-Graphics/dp/B07GXJGHM8

This one is on sale for $600, but that might be short-lived. (It supposedly expires tonight, but sometimes newegg renews sales.) It has an equivalent processor to the one above, the same graphics card, and a 500 GB SSD.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883289036?Item=N82E16883289036

If you don't catch the sale, this Cyberpower model is $620 with the same listed specs, although I would guess this one has a better power supply and motherboard than the one above.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Ready-To-Ship-GAMER-MASTER-ET9919

If you really need the extra storage, this has the same graphics card and a slightly stronger processor than the others, plus a 240 GB SSD/2 TB HDD combination. It has a better motherboard but a cheaper power supply than the other Cyberpower, which you might care about if you plan on doing upgrades later. (You can always get a better PSU if you're good with organizing cables, but getting a new mainboard basically means rebuilding the entire PC.)

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Ready-To-Ship-GAMER-MASTER-ET8830

Finally, for $710, this one has the same strong processor as in the previous model, and a faster graphics card as well. Neither Sims game should ever need the extra power, but others might.

https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-Blaze-Gaming-Computer-Desktop/dp/B07RHBLV7F

In the above link, Amazon also lists two Skytech models with an Nvidia 1060 3 GB and a slightly weaker (although stilll strong) processor. The graphics card is equivalent to the AMD Radeon 580 in the other models, so the $650 option would be fine but not any better. The $700 model comes with 16 GB RAM, which is great for multitasking, although neither game will need it either. The other computers all only have 8 GB memory, but you could add that too if you want—it's as easy as buying a matching RAM stick and clicking it into a slot.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I smell catnip.

[...]

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
    I have a question. Is there a preferred brand of catnip we should set out to generate a faster and even more thoroughly researched and thought out response? Probably not, but I just used the generic store brand and it did seem to produce perfect results.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited October 2019
    LOL, the store bought stuff certainly did the trick. I'd like to say that I only go for organic, locally sourced, small family farm options, but it turns out I'm not nearly that discerning.

Besides, as long as the active ingredient is still present and potent, what else do I really need?
    Both of you have been super helpful! Thanks again
    I do have one more question though, does it matter what type of monitor you get to go along with them, or is it kind of a guessing game or doesn’t matter?
    What matters is whether you enjoy looking at the monitor for long periods of time. I mean, it's more complicated than that, but how the screen looks is a huge factor. For example, Dell makes high quality monitors, but I would never buy one for myself because I don't like how they look no matter how the colors are adjusted. Other people like them just fine.

In terms of screen quality, IPS is the best, with the brightest colors and the widest viewing angles; it's also the most expensive. TN panels are the cheapest and don't always look great. They also often have higher refresh rates and therefore are favored by gamers playing first person shooters. Framerates don't make a difference to Sims games, although some people can tell the difference between a refresh rate of 60 Hz and something higher. VA panels are in the middle in both price and quality, and they often come with higher refresh rates.

In terms of resolution, most everyday monitors are 1920x1080. That may well be enough for you, but if not, you could go to 2k, which is 2560x1440. The thing is, playing at a higher resolution will make your graphics card work harder, meaning that all else being equal, your in-game framerates will drop by a significant margin at the higher resolution. (Whether you care about the difference will depend on your personal preference.) Of course, you could always play at a lower res and use the higher res for other tasks. If you do want to play at 2k though, and you want to maintain high fps, the system with the Nvidia 1660 would be a better option.

The biggest favor you can do for yourself is to go to a store and take a look around at the different brands. All monitors by a given company in a given category of monitor (i.e. IPS or TN) will look pretty much the same, so you don't need to see the exact models you're considering in person. Best Buy usually has a good selection of monitors on display, if you're up for a field trip.
    Awesome, Thanks!!