Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    My complaint is that we got used to getting tidbits of information pre-pack release and pre-live stream and now we are just told to sit tight and wait! (with the one exception of the info on bicycles).
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    I doubt that anyone of the Sims team has ever really played the game, I mean REALLY play the game. And I bet that therefore they haven‘t really seen what the real customer game players see - Heck, the team doesn‘t even have all the packs installed when „testing“ new packs or when on livestream showing off a new pack. Therefore they can’t really see what most of us, with most packs installed, see - Bugs, glitches and more and more missing details.

And I also believe that they no longer care for the older generation players anymore, we, the ones who actually kept the Sims games alive. They now rather focus on the younger generation who mostly know nothing about TS1 TS2 and TS3. You can tell by the way TS4 is done. Mostly nothing but party hardy. And if you really look at it, most complains come from the older generations. Youngsters barely complain because they don‘t know any better. We, the older generation know how great the sims game once was, and we hate to see how our beloved game slowly but surely gets dragged down the drain. That is the main reason why we tend to compare TS4 with the previous ones most of the time, because with each new pack something else is missing/left out or tuned down, and that is indeed very depressing to see, when we do know how good it could’ve actually been which TS2 und TS3 has proved.

And that is also why we are complaining/sharing our thoughts now before we even know what this new Uni pack actually holds up for us. We are simply afraid that it will end up in another dropdown. Complaining/sharing thoughts of possible upcoming disappointments now is because of past experiences and is also a good way to be better prepared for the final touch(let)down 😉
    We are fine with new stuff and „new gameplay“ but please don‘t take everything away that once made our pixel people so unique, special and precious. Give us back the unique details and we all are happy 😊

I think it’s fairly obvious watching the live streams that the Gurus don’t play the game.
    I’ve played the sims since the original game. My niece and nephew have played the sims 4. They are 14 and 11. They both prefer the sims 2 &3 and enjoy the game play much better. For them it’s not about graphics but game play and the sims 4 leaves them bored as according to them the sims don’t do anything.
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    I doubt that anyone of the Sims team has ever really played the game, I mean REALLY play the game. And I bet that therefore they haven‘t really seen what the real customer game players see - Heck, the team doesn‘t even have all the packs installed when „testing“ new packs or when on livestream showing off a new pack. Therefore they can’t really see what most of us, with most packs installed, see - Bugs, glitches and more and more missing details.

And I also believe that they no longer care for the older generation players anymore, we, the ones who actually kept the Sims games alive. They now rather focus on the younger generation who mostly know nothing about TS1 TS2 and TS3. You can tell by the way TS4 is done. Mostly nothing but party hardy. And if you really look at it, most complains come from the older generations. Youngsters barely complain because they don‘t know any better. We, the older generation know how great the sims game once was, and we hate to see how our beloved game slowly but surely gets dragged down the drain. That is the main reason why we tend to compare TS4 with the previous ones most of the time, because with each new pack something else is missing/left out or tuned down, and that is indeed very depressing to see, when we do know how good it could’ve actually been which TS2 und TS3 has proved.

And that is also why we are complaining/sharing our thoughts now before we even know what this new Uni pack actually holds up for us. We are simply afraid that it will end up in another dropdown. Complaining/sharing thoughts of possible upcoming disappointments now is because of past experiences and is also a good way to be better prepared for the final touch(let)down 😉
    We are fine with new stuff and „new gameplay“ but please don‘t take everything away that once made our pixel people so unique, special and precious. Give us back the unique details and we all are happy 😊

I think it’s fairly obvious watching the live streams that the Gurus don’t play the game.
    I’ve played the sims since the original game. My niece and nephew have played the sims 4. They are 14 and 11. They both prefer the sims 2 &3 and enjoy the game play much better. For them it’s not about graphics but game play and the sims 4 leaves them bored as according to them the sims don’t do anything.

Since Sims5 is already in development I doubt that there will be very much more detail and effort input to Sims4 no matter what else packs they come up with next. They all will be cut/tuned down which we, the older generation will know again Immediately.
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited October 2019

I said something similar in another thread. That's exactly why it's so childish and dumbed down because it's obvious they want to aim for the young generation. The older generation expects too much because they know what a good game is. Most younger player have not played the older ones so they think this is everything. As I said in the other thread,I myself didnt realize how bad it was until I got frustrated not being able to do basic things like walking a baby in the stroller or seeing basic reactions from sims etc. So I went investigating into the older ones and was shocked at what they could do!!! Kids running around playing acting like kids, not glued to the pc or sitting around talking with adults. Babies/toddlers you can walk in strollers, all the detailed animations they tend to skip over now. The cuddling that actually looks like cuddling etc etc all kinds of things had me like 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱
    Then I look at TS4 and go☹☹☹☹

I see everyone screaming for TS5 but if they still want to aim it at the younger generation (which I'm sure they do) then...🤐🤐🤐🤐
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I honestly wish I can get excited for University but after Island Living turned out to be one expensive GP, my hopes are not high. I want my sims to have degrees that will make SIGNIFICANT impacts on their careers, but I feel as though its just going to do slight increases on their pay and different random chance cards.

I dont want my sims to be immediately accepted into college. I want to see rejection/acceptance letters and minimum skill requirements to get in. I want my sims to WORK for their spot in college. And I dont want them getting in for absolutely free. But seeing how the game is against any sort of meaningful challenge, I can already see that applying for college amounts to just picking up the phone and saying "Hello I want to go to college. Bye."

Im already expecting bikes to just be limited to campus. Teen+ only since you know, kids riding bikes? That's stupid and makes no sense.
    Kids will probably get nothing. No new clothes, no overhaul for schools, no reason to remember they exist.
    Sims doing poorly in school? No you wont get kicked out, you'll just have a sad moodlet all day.
    Want new lot types and buildable dorms? Well I want a million dollars, but we dont always get what we want.
    Rabbit holes rabbit holes rabbit holes. Cant get enough of them!
    $20 says there wont be an actual graduation ceremony. Just sims standing around in robes and caps, dancing in circles and crowding the bartender instead of receiving their diplomas.
    Forget paying for college! Free tuition for everyone! As great as that would be in the real world, its not what I want for my sims. Student loans please. And high interest rates.

I honestly want to be proven wrong. The last EP I legitimately enjoyed was Get Famous. That's the only EP I paid full price for and havent regret it. I really want University to be good and gameplay heavy. I dont want pretty things to look at but you can't use. I dont want my sims to breeze through college doing nothing and still graduate. I want degrees to mean something. But Im not getting my hopes up with this pack.

Don't think bikes are campus only...least..
    The real question that should have been asked is not the campus but are bikes usable in all worlds or just the new one.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    The real question that should have been asked is not the campus but are bikes usable in all worlds or just the new one.

Yeah, that answer was kind of (intentionally?) vague

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    jooxis wrote: »

It doesn't matter what question you ask or how you ask it, if they don't want to answer (or, IMO, are afraid to answer) then their answer will be vague.

Someone asked if the Aqua Zips could be used in other worlds and they replied "If you have a big enough pool".
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    jooxis wrote: »

It doesn't matter what question you ask or how you ask it, if they don't want to answer (or, IMO, are afraid to answer) then their answer will be vague.

Someone asked if the Aqua Zips could be used in other worlds and they replied "If you have a big enough pool".
    Sadly that answer was true.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    If you don't like even before you buy why can't you complain about it. Without getting jumped on
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I honestly wish I can get excited for University but after Island Living turned out to be one expensive GP, my hopes are not high. I want my sims to have degrees that will make SIGNIFICANT impacts on their careers, but I feel as though its just going to do slight increases on their pay and different random chance cards.

I dont want my sims to be immediately accepted into college. I want to see rejection/acceptance letters and minimum skill requirements to get in. I want my sims to WORK for their spot in college. And I dont want them getting in for absolutely free. But seeing how the game is against any sort of meaningful challenge, I can already see that applying for college amounts to just picking up the phone and saying "Hello I want to go to college. Bye."

Im already expecting bikes to just be limited to campus. Teen+ only since you know, kids riding bikes? That's stupid and makes no sense.
    Kids will probably get nothing. No new clothes, no overhaul for schools, no reason to remember they exist.
    Sims doing poorly in school? No you wont get kicked out, you'll just have a sad moodlet all day.
    Want new lot types and buildable dorms? Well I want a million dollars, but we dont always get what we want.
    $20 says there wont be an actual graduation ceremony. Just sims standing around in robes and caps, dancing in circles and crowding the bartender instead of receiving their diplomas.
    Forget paying for college! Free tuition for everyone! As great as that would be in the real world, its not what I want for my sims. Student loans please. And high interest rates.

I honestly want to be proven wrong. The last EP I legitimately enjoyed was Get Famous. That's the only EP I paid full price for and havent regret it. I really want University to be good and gameplay heavy. I dont want pretty things to look at but you can't use. I dont want my sims to breeze through college doing nothing and still graduate. I want degrees to mean something. But Im not getting my hopes up with this pack.

Yep that is the magic question and I am going to throw an wrench into it, if bikes can be used I am thinking cars can be done too. ;)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Yep that is the magic question and I am going to throw an wrench into it, if bikes can be used I am thinking cars can be done too. ;)

Apples and oranges. Here's why I think bikes will not work in a world other than Britechester. Britechester is a new world being released in the same pack that introduces bicycles. Therefore, Britechester was created in a way that incorporates the riding of a bicycle on the sidewalks of Britechester. Older worlds don't have that routing, some don't have sidewalks, some have nothing but sidewalks, but none have the routing. I would be greatly surprised (pleased, but surprised) if bikes could be ridden in any other world.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    In my opinion, the gameplay is going to definitely be limited by the mechanics of TS4. Even if there are bicycles, it isn't gonna work like TS3. In TS3; after your save game loads, there are rarely any other load screens, unless you go into Create a Sim or something. Yet in TS4; I get loading screens when I go to visit the house across the street and you teleport, not walk/drive/ride to wherever you're going.
    cody6268 wrote: »
    In my opinion, the gameplay is going to definitely be limited by the mechanics of TS4. Even if there are bicycles, it isn't gonna work like TS3. In TS3; after your save game loads, there are rarely any other load screens, unless you go into Create a Sim or something. Yet in TS4; I get loading screens when I go to visit the house across the street and you teleport, not walk/drive/ride to wherever you're going.

That is what bugs me about the trailer showing those two students riding to class. The normal programing is that your sim travels to another place by teleporting from the very spot they are standing in and appearing outside the building that you wanted them to travel to. So, if my sim gets a message stating that it's time for science class and you click OKAY, what's to keep my sim from teleporting to class instead of riding their bike to class? Will there be a RIDE BIKE ALWAYS the way there is a RIDE BROOM ALWAYS command? And what happens if you travel to another neighborhood and go through a loading screen? Will they appear somewhere in that neighborhoods edge on the bike or standing in front of the building as they do when we teleport? I'm not sure riding a bike is going to be all that immersive or satisfying.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Apples and oranges. Here's why I think bikes will not work in a world other than Britechester. Britechester is a new world being released in the same pack that introduces bicycles. Therefore, Britechester was created in a way that incorporates the riding of a bicycle on the sidewalks of Britechester. Older worlds don't have that routing, some don't have sidewalks, some have nothing but sidewalks, but none have the routing. I would be greatly surprised (pleased, but surprised) if bikes could be ridden in any other world.

Maybe and maybe not but unless EA/Maxis changes that you may be right.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Let's bring this back on topic please and leave it out with the arguing, that's not what this thread is for.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Guys, could you please read the rules before commenting here. I would like this thread to stay what it is intended for. It is a thread to complain. If you feel happy with the game, this is a nice thread for you to join: Goodbye ;)
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    cody6268 wrote: »

That is what bugs me about the trailer showing those two students riding to class. The normal programing is that your sim travels to another place by teleporting from the very spot they are standing in and appearing outside the building that you wanted them to travel to. So, if my sim gets a message stating that it's time for science class and you click OKAY, what's to keep my sim from teleporting to class instead of riding their bike to class? Will there be a RIDE BIKE ALWAYS the way there is a RIDE BROOM ALWAYS command? And what happens if you travel to another neighborhood and go through a loading screen? Will they appear somewhere in that neighborhoods edge on the bike or standing in front of the building as they do when we teleport? I'm not sure riding a bike is going to be all that immersive or satisfying.
    I think your assessment is probably going to be correct. Bikes that only go to the edge of the neighborhood and then you teleport without the bike. I'd be surprised if the bikes are even usable outside of the new world. So sims will 'lose' their bikes on the way to willow creek or newcrest, and when you load those lots, the sims will stand there as usual. Not very immersive, now is it?
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • QuaayQuaay Posts: 557 Member
    rudolpha wrote: »
    My complaint is that we got used to getting tidbits of information pre-pack release and pre-live stream and now we are just told to sit tight and wait! (with the one exception of the info on bicycles).

Same. I hate when the devs are quiet about new content because it makes me worry more.
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    edited October 2019
    Also thank you for making this thread, it seems here we can't really voice our concern without getting people angry.

So much for this eh @KaeChan2089? :lol:

If I were to have a complain it would be about the validity of this existing as an EP at all.

I haven't purchased an University EP since The Sims 2 and even then, I maybe took handful of Sims through uni in total. The added functionality doesn't factor in as important to my gameplay whatsoever. The (then new) Young Adult age bracket has stayed in the game no matter what.

You could argue that YA Sims as a matter of course should have to study degrees to enter into the Medicine career, or at least a particular path on it. It could have been included in the Employment mechanisms rather than a whole separate game.

It's a bit confusing that other members are getting as upset as they are about bunk-beds as frankly Sims are at their least interesting when sleeping so I'm not convinced it really matters in the grand scheme of things.
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    I have removed a bunch of off topic comments from here. Remember that everyone is free to share their opinions as long as they respect the forum rules. @FurSimsOfficial chose a very clear subject when they opened this topic so let's respect each other and keep this discussion on topic.
    Thanks!
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2019
    What I know is that bikes used to be a BASE GAME feature! Just that...
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »

Ok...let's ignore the elephant in the room that is the fact that stalls are exclusive to this EP lmao.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Renato10 wrote: »

Ok...let's ignore the elephant in the room that is the fact that stalls are exclusive to this EP lmao.

oh! they are...
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I am baffled. Why is everyone happy about toilet stalls? Of all the things that could have been added, why add toilet stalls? Especially now when there is so much missing that should have been in the base game or an earlier pack. And doesn't the fact the town is just set dressing bother anyone else? Even the university buildings look fake, and are probably where our Sims go to attend rabbithole lectures or go to rabbithole classes. Sure, it all looks nice, but it wouldn't hold my attention for very long. I guess that's why I like the larger worlds we used to get, over these smaller worlds the teams fill up with fake buildings we can't interact with. In Willow Creek and the earlier worlds, we were able to add residential and community lots so the world felt, and looked, like a small city. Now, in these smaller worlds, we barely have enough space to build two or three homes then add a spa, a restaurant or bar, or anything that might be a fun place for my Sims to go. After the small worlds in Get Famous, StrangerVille, Island Living and RoM, I think the teams owe us a Willow Creek sized world in an update. And I'd prefer it to be a totally empty world, rather than one filled with Maxis-made builds I almost always delete. When one of the gurus tweeted there will be a few buildable lots in the DU world, my heart sank a little bit more. Really? Another new world with just a couple of empty lots?

One other little gripe I have is about how huge the telescope and the analyzer are. This would have been the perfect time to downsize those and make them fall into line with what we used to have. Why are some of the toddler and kid items so large we can't place those on a family lot? Especially when we have so many 30x20 lots we can barely use for building homes for families. Since this pack is about college life, having smaller objects would make sense. The devs made a mini fridge. Why not a mini telescope? Or a microscope?

And while watching a YouTuber today as he shared his thoughts about DU, I saw the drone from Get Famous was reskinned and is making another appearance in another pack. They're getting a lot of mileage out of that drone. In RoM it was transformed into a Familiar. So I wonder how the drone will fit into college-based gameplay? The girl using it was holding a remote control so who knows what that drone will be capable of being. Weaponizing it might be fun.