Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    The more I watch the trailer the more disappointed I get. Where are the classes? They better not be rabbit holes because what‘s the point of university when there are no classes? It would be like „Get To Work“ without jobs. The Sims 4 is all about young adults, friendships, parties, and drinking and I‘m getting sick of it. Sims are definitely taking some illegal substances secretly. They are just too unrealistically happy and carefree all the time. I really hope they botched the trailer and there will be a ton of studying and education in this pack. Sims need some responsibilities and hardships.

Also I‘m only seeing young people in the trailer. I‘m in university currently and we have many students 55+. Mothers who go back to school after their children are grown, grandpas who don‘t enjoy retirement and want to challenge their brains,... .

The only things from the trailer I‘m excited about are the mini fridge and cubicles.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    No pool table.
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited October 2019
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Oh I will be annoyed if I have to load screen into the dorm room right next to my Sim in the same DORM.

Oh now I'm scared! This would not be good. I really enjoyed TS2 University's experience with the dorms and even the restricted access to campus -- meaning your sims' parents (or any other adults/elders) weren't likely to show up uninvited. I do hope that adults and elders are welcome to take classes/occupy the dorms this go round, but just having randos creep on campus would be immersion-breaking for me.
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,826 Member
    jooxis wrote: »
    Honest question - Why do people expect bunk beds in a University EP? I don't know any university student who has a bunk bed. In my country they're mostly for children and in TS3 they were only usable by children as well. I do want them in TS4, but I always associated them with a family/children pack (Parenthood would have been perfect).
    Are bunk beds really that common for adults where you guys live? It's so uncommon for me.

Same. For me, bunk beds should have been the main feature of the Kid's Room Stuff Pack - instead of that oversized and awkward puppet show thing.

I like the puppet show thing but the pack should have definitely included bunk beds
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    I love the bikes. But the pessimist in me says they'll act like the brooms in ROM's. Hop on the bike and and then poof, you're at the spot you want to go to instead of you actually riding the bike to the destination.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Honest question - Why do people expect bunk beds in a University EP? I don't know any university student who has a bunk bed. In my country they're mostly for children and in TS3 they were only usable by children as well. I do want them in TS4, but I always associated them with a family/children pack (Parenthood would have been perfect).
    Are bunk beds really that common for adults where you guys live? It's so uncommon for me.

Bunkbeds will probably come in a Generations type Gamepack.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Wrenry wrote: »
    I love the bikes. But the pessimist in me says they'll act like the brooms in ROM's. Hop on the bike and and then poof, you're at the spot you want to go to instead of you actually riding the bike to the destination.

The trailer showed sims riding bikes for a good distance.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Take this with a grain of salt and some laughter. This is in NO way a joke to the community ranting, giving critics or whatsoever and if anything.. I am standing first in line if it comes to giving my honest critics to this game which is 90% negative. I am sorry, TS4 is just not good.

What I do mean with this thread, is an actual place for us simmers to ONLY be negative, complain, worry or whatever you want to call it about this new upcoming EP and be freed from other simmers who then 'complain' about the complainers. Got it?
    So everything goes here. It does not matter whether we have all the information or not, the fact that we just only saw the trailer or that we are just a bunch of 'whiners' as others like to call us. You are free to say whatever you want here. Get rid of what's on your chest and share your dark moments with other simmers. We DO NOT attack each others opinion no matter what it is or no matter how 'ridicule' or unconfirmed it may be. Let your frustrations on the loose :)

Here are some of my careless thoughts:

- The blank page and cricket sounds around bunk beds are making me think that there won't be any. I also feel EA or the devs will just stay silent about it as long as they can. There was a picture shown with regular beds, so it gave me more anxious feelings towards this.
    - Why were no any live classes or education material shown in the trailer? It looks like classes are rabbit holes and if there would be any open ones, I feel it would barely outdo TS3. A university trailer without showing off actual classes and study-related stuff? How? Also nothing to be found in the blog.
    - I barely felt any new gameplay tbh. Normally with Packs in previous games, there was a main theme or feature that would define everything. I have not felt any of this about this EP. It worries me, cause when EA stays silent = not included.
    - How about kids riding bikes?

They are doing a live stream on November 8th.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

I've come to accept that what you see is what you get with Sims 4 reveal trailers. My only complaint is that the "two universities" don't appear to be two separate worlds. Also I'm pretty sure the dorms will be the same as the apartments from City Living, which means we will never have real apartments in this game. I hope I'm proven wrong though.

Lots of Universities share campuses - the University I went to shared a campus with Yale and my University was on 122 acres in New Haven Connecticut - but it and Yale still had some shared places.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Dakota88 wrote: »

LMAO considering that it’s what I do for a living, I find it so brain-wracking with The Sims 4 marketing materials don’t ever seem to line up with what the devs know the game actually does.

Like does anybody on the marketing team play or look at the game first? Do they listen to, or talk to the devs? Why don’t marketing and engineering properly engage with one another?

Why do they release these hollow game descriptions and music video-style game trailers devoid of actual play content? It’s pretty lazy just to make things up that are absolutely nowhere near how the game works.

It’s not even like some video game trailers where they use some of the highly artistic, non-gameplay cut scenes. Sims trailers are literally made up.

Can someone from EA please explain why you don’t have anyone that knows how to advertise and market the actual product you are selling?

Because people working jobs such as "public relations" or "marketing" usually aren't the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. Not to offend anyone, there are, of course, exceptions (who prove the rule), and of course, I don't know anyone doing marketing for EA, so I am not directing this to any person in particular. Please don't get me wrong.

But: I worked at a small, but really successful PR agency as well as at the marketing department of a big German car company while I was at University (part time) and boy, these people, they made me want to stay away from these kind of job branches like for the rest of my entire life. NEVER. AGAIN. The jobs themselves can be really interesting and complex, but the people, oh boy, oh no, please, just no. It kind of traumatized me with all the bullying going on there too. I am currently getting a third degree (I got 2 the first time I went to Uni) because - nope, never. again. Just no! I thought the people I worked with were awful, all of them. And it was awful to the point that I don't want to find out if it were just these 2 companies because, no, just no. Just never again.

I never had these kind of problems in other job branches I tried out in internships or worked at (so it's not me). So now I am going to get a job in a field I feel more comfortable working in.

They don't work for Maxis - they work for EA.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Aine wrote: »
    I wonder where the heck the gameplay is???!!! Do we actually get more than reskinned clubs and empty 'degrees'? Wouldn't they advertise depth, if the pack had it? Seems so shallow. What's the actual point of going to university, and does it DO anything. I'm more interested in that than any 'party' objects.

You'll learn more November 8 during the 2 hour live stream - well I think they said 2 hours... It was posted on twitter

In dreams - I LIVE!

• MekoSharkMekoShark Posts: 161 Member
    I disapointed that it seems like the elementary and highschools aren't going to be developed in this game. I would have loved to watch my sim kids go to school and make friends, then watch them attend prom and graduation with their peers prior to going to college. 😦
    Sharks need love too 🦈

• TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    i still struggle to see where the actual 'expanding' game play is, cos if that's the case, i feel it'd be another island living. what i saw are just sims trying out some new things and get eventually bored for like five minutes. nothing new, nothing lit, same old gimmick.

tbh, i got more excited seeing the leaked description than the official trailer itself.
    y'all got bread?
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    So far this is feeling like a wait for the 50% off and then buy pack. I am worried about getting robbed again after island living.

I really hate that the college town looks like willowcreek\newcrest with the same pink trees. Also, I was hoping one college with be lush and the other one a desert just to give it different landscape...not sure if this is the case but I see no evidence that it is so far.

I hate the pink trees, they're so unrealistic.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Take this with a grain of salt and some laughter. This is in NO way a joke to the community ranting, giving critics or whatsoever and if anything.. I am standing first in line if it comes to giving my honest critics to this game which is 90% negative. I am sorry, TS4 is just not good.

What I do mean with this thread, is an actual place for us simmers to ONLY be negative, complain, worry or whatever you want to call it about this new upcoming EP and be freed from other simmers who then 'complain' about the complainers. Got it?
    So everything goes here. It does not matter whether we have all the information or not, the fact that we just only saw the trailer or that we are just a bunch of 'whiners' as others like to call us. You are free to say whatever you want here. Get rid of what's on your chest and share your dark moments with other simmers. We DO NOT attack each others opinion no matter what it is or no matter how 'ridicule' or unconfirmed it may be. Let your frustrations on the loose :)

Here are some of my careless thoughts:

- The blank page and cricket sounds around bunk beds are making me think that there won't be any. I also feel EA or the devs will just stay silent about it as long as they can. There was a picture shown with regular beds, so it gave me more anxious feelings towards this.
    - Why were no any live classes or education material shown in the trailer? It looks like classes are rabbit holes and if there would be any open ones, I feel it would barely outdo TS3. A university trailer without showing off actual classes and study-related stuff? How? Also nothing to be found in the blog.
    - I barely felt any new gameplay tbh. Normally with Packs in previous games, there was a main theme or feature that would define everything. I have not felt any of this about this EP. It worries me, cause when EA stays silent = not included.
    - How about kids riding bikes?

Exactly. And really why are there going to hide it if it was a major selling point for a lot of simmers?
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

My old college dorms have, to this day, bunk beds in smaller rooms. I've had a loft bed at home all through my uni years.

It's not so much expecting them to be in the pack as much as hoping for their inclusion for all age groups. Maybe not so much bunk beds (which would still be usable for YA Sims in university dorms) as much as that it opens the field for loft beds that have usable space underneath for things like desks or dressers.
    Another thing is the tiny house angle. Those are pretty popular nowadays and the use of high-sleeper or loft beds opens the space in smaller areas. It's just that, possibilies, especially for building. Also, they're fun :D
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    In all honesty, I was hoping this pack would be delayed just to stop people from ranting and raving about wanting it. But that's just me. Anyway, I'm in a "wait and see" camp because the trailer that was dropped was only a teaser, so it makes sense that there's very little on show. So I think those who are getting salty about not "seeing much" in the trailer should clam down a little before they start to sound like an anti-hype train, but that's just me.
    Personally, after my own IRL experiences with University and being jerked around I'm not overly thrilled with this pack, but I'll wait and see, reserving judgement until I know all the facts.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    A quick reminder to not disallow people to think, worry or feel about certain ways EVEN though we have not seen it all. This thread is not a look-forward or comfort-zone to more information that is about to come, but it is to express how we feel right now no matter how 'quick' we may judge. This thread is exactly the place to just say whatever you feel at the moment with the information and experiences we have gotten till now.

Move along :)
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I am really scared about more info coming on bikes. I fear they will be tied to the new world and most dissapointingly kids won't be able to ride them.
    This is genuinely something I need to know ASAP. Not knowing if I'm right about my gut feeling or not is driving me crazy.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I’ve saw a few trailer “reactions” now and people discussing the game in general. One thing that did strike me is that EVERYONE lost their heads over a toilet cubicle. A toilet. Is this how easily pleased we are that we get excited for toilets?? In a pack about university?

Only one video I saw commented that for a pack about university there is no mention of degrees. It’s all partying. AGAIN.

Yes I know there’s a live stream but the focus of this trailer is partying, aesthetics like tattoos and piercings and I think two new objects. As someone said elsewhere, this could easily be Get Together 2.0

I am starting to think I am sorry if this sounds rude, but a lot of the people doing trailer reactions and getting excited over a toilet...are alot of people that just blindly follow TS4 like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread....not really surprise at this moment...

Most (if not all) of those people will get the pack for free anyways, so they can be excited if there was only just a toilet. The rest of us have to be a bit more objective. ;)
    Origin ID: Peapod79