Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    Simlie20 wrote: »

I’m also afraid we yet again aren’t able to build the dorm rooms just like with the apartments from city living this to me is a huge disappointment just as the apartments were

The second thing i’m affraid of is the number of majors so far we’ve heard of 4 with one being rather unrealistic not that i’m against it but if your going to have only 4 majors atleast make them common ones

Wait so is it confirmed that we are getting only 4 majors? Like what if I wanted my sim to become a fashion designer or teacher what's the best major for her? Art history?? I hope they can add more majors, like 10 so that there's more choice.

Not at all confirmed.

Humanities? :s What job can a Sim in TS4 get with that degree? No social worker, I assume, but another way to live out, yet again, Friend of the World? What are the new aspirations to go along with Humanities? None, I bet....we have already played Politician.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2019
    My complaint will always be with end user customization or the ability to build your own dorms as looking at the workings of CL you may be stuck with EA/Maxis ideas. However beyond that I am waiting to see how this EP plays out as I do not blame players for showing negativity prior to coming out as with each release most was disappointed with the pack. Sadly I do not get peps with any Sims 4 pack release as I am looking for something that Sims 4 cannot provide for me true customization that is at my finger tips and not just at EA/Maxis finger tips.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited October 2019

LMAO considering that it’s what I do for a living, I find it so brain-wracking with The Sims 4 marketing materials don’t ever seem to line up with what the devs know the game actually does.

Like does anybody on the marketing team play or look at the game first? Do they listen to, or talk to the devs? Why don’t marketing and engineering properly engage with one another?

Why do they release these hollow game descriptions and music video-style game trailers devoid of actual play content? It’s pretty lazy just to make things up that are absolutely nowhere near how the game works.

It’s not even like some video game trailers where they use some of the highly artistic, non-gameplay cut scenes. Sims trailers are literally made up.

Can someone from EA please explain why you don’t have anyone that knows how to advertise and market the actual product you are selling?

Because people working jobs such as "public relations" or "marketing" usually aren't the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. Not to offend anyone, there are, of course, exceptions (who prove the rule), and of course, I don't know anyone doing marketing for EA, so I am not directing this to any person in particular. Please don't get me wrong.

But: I worked at a small, but really successful PR agency as well as at the marketing department of a big German car company while I was at University (part time) and boy, these people, they made me want to stay away from these kind of job branches like for the rest of my entire life. NEVER. AGAIN. The jobs themselves can be really interesting and complex, but the people, oh boy, oh no, please, just no. It kind of traumatized me with all the bullying going on there too. I am currently getting a third degree (I got 2 the first time I went to Uni) because - nope, never. again. Just no! I thought the people I worked with were awful, all of them. And it was awful to the point that I don't want to find out if it were just these 2 companies because, no, just no. Just never again.

I never had these kind of problems in other job branches I tried out in internships or worked at (so it's not me). So now I am going to get a job in a field I feel more comfortable working in.
    Post edited by SimKonfetti on
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited October 2019
    After reading through some comments here, I am also concerned about dorms that seem to work only like CL apartments, classes with no meaning, no job overhaul, no content for other life stages, no school overhaul and bikes being restricted to that one world. I mean, they said that swimming might be fixed for all worlds, but months later and still nothing. I feel the value of that 'possibility' means nothing anymore by now and it would have been better if they never gave us that word: maybe.

I do not get why we can not just get a lot type: apartments. What is blocking this possibility? In TS2 is was way more complicated with those silver balls for a community area, blacked out apartments etc. In the sims 4 it seems a loooot more simple to build one yourself. If they set a limit for just 3 functioning apartments on the same floor, I would be fine actually. Better than the game always deciding everything for us.
    We could just have the ability to build a apartment block however we want and then select/divide apartments into a maximum of 3 or so. That is it! This would be somewhat the same for dorms as well. If they gave us elevator just like TS3, it would work like charm for high apartment buildings.

I am genuinely tired of these pre-sets of worlds, buildings, lots etc. It is insulting to my creativity.

I’m also afraid we yet again aren’t able to build the dorm rooms just like with the apartments from city living this to me is a huge disappointment just as the apartments were

The second thing i’m affraid of is the number of majors so far we’ve heard of 4 with one being rather unrealistic not that i’m against it but if your going to have only 4 majors atleast make them common ones

Wait so is it confirmed that we are getting only 4 majors? Like what if I wanted my sim to become a fashion designer or teacher what's the best major for her? Art history?? I hope they can add more majors, like 10 so that there's more choice.

Not at all confirmed.

LMAO considering that it’s what I do for a living, I find it so brain-wracking with The Sims 4 marketing materials don’t ever seem to line up with what the devs know the game actually does.

Like does anybody on the marketing team play or look at the game first? Do they listen to, or talk to the devs? Why don’t marketing and engineering properly engage with one another?

Why do they release these hollow game descriptions and music video-style game trailers devoid of actual play content? It’s pretty lazy just to make things up that are absolutely nowhere near how the game works.

It’s not even like some video game trailers where they use some of the highly artistic, non-gameplay cut scenes. Sims trailers are literally made up.

Can someone from EA please explain why you don’t have anyone that knows how to advertise and market the actual product you are selling?

In my theory: Marketing team has a very different motive when it comes to selling video games. They focus on a certain agenda and whatever goes in trailers is more of a reflection of that. There is barely a connection between marketing and developers, cause developers are passionate, more understanding of the community and work on motives that contain a voice of the community.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Not at all confirmed.

Humanities? :s What job can a Sim in TS4 get with that degree? No social worker, I assume, but another way to live out, yet again, Friend of the World? What are the new aspirations to go along with Humanities? None, I bet....we have already played Politician.

The humanities can be described as the study of how people process and document the human experience. Since humans have been able, we have used philosophy, literature, religion, art, music, history and language to understand and record our world. These modes of expression have become some of the subjects that traditionally fall under the humanities umbrella. Knowledge of these records of human experience gives us the opportunity to feel a sense of connection to those who have come before us, as well as to our contemporaries.
    Stanford University

College undergraduate programs typically include humanities classes as part of general education requirements, even for majors such as engineering. So hopefully our sims' will be required to take a couple of humanities classes to get their degree.

As for what job our sims' would be able to get Law is a new career and plenty of lawyers have undergraduate degrees in English, Philosophy, History, etc.

• GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    The name is gross. "University" is simple and flows better. I don't understand Sims 4's obsession with changing things for no reason, for the sake of being different (and usually worse.) It's one of the better titles of this generation, but I still don't care for it. The Sims 4 has bad pack names.

I'm not steaming over the name, but it's a gripe.

TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    edited October 2019
    Gordy wrote: »
    The name is gross. "University" is simple and flows better. I don't understand Sims 4's obsession with changing things for no reason, for the sake of being different (and usually worse.) It's one of the better titles of this generation, but I still don't care for it. The Sims 4 has bad pack names.

I'm not steaming over the name, but it's a gripe.

I agree. It looks like trying to be different, but for the worse. I would love to see quirky and funny names with a pun. I get that they should be short and non-copyrighted, but I believe they should invest in a team and department that comes up with better names. Discover is not bad imo, it is just a random word dropped in front of university, but has no context to what the EP actually holds.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    edited October 2019
    Honest question - Why do people expect bunk beds in a University EP? I don't know any university student who has a bunk bed. In my country they're mostly for children and in TS3 they were only usable by children as well. I do want them in TS4, but I always associated them with a family/children pack (Parenthood would have been perfect).
    Are bunk beds really that common for adults where you guys live? It's so uncommon for me.

Same. For me, bunk beds should have been the main feature of the Kid's Room Stuff Pack - instead of that oversized and awkward puppet show thing.

Cinebar wrote: »

Not at all confirmed.

The humanities can be described as the study of how people process and document the human experience. Since humans have been able, we have used philosophy, literature, religion, art, music, history and language to understand and record our world. These modes of expression have become some of the subjects that traditionally fall under the humanities umbrella. Knowledge of these records of human experience gives us the opportunity to feel a sense of connection to those who have come before us, as well as to our contemporaries.
    Stanford University

College undergraduate programs typically include humanities classes as part of general education requirements, even for majors such as engineering. So hopefully our sims' will be required to take a couple of humanities classes to get their degree.

As for what job our sims' would be able to get Law is a new career and plenty of lawyers have undergraduate degrees in English, Philosophy, History, etc.

I do hope we get lots of majors to choose from. It would suck though if the only classes our Sims could take were in biology, computer science, art history or villainy (how ridiculous is that anyway, others have said it already). What about music or literature?
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I don’t have a lot of complaints but I do hope there is a good balance between school and other activities like parties and club. I’m curious to find out more about the system involved in university. I don’t enjoy playing a ton of party aspects I just like them occasionally in my gameplay. So that’s why I hope studying is still a strong aspect like it was in 3. I don’t mind no active classes but at least want good stuff to do with the different majors involved.

No bunk beds or even loft beds is kind of disappointing. I’d at least have liked lofted beds desks could fit under.

I can’t say overall though I’m disappointed or unenthusiastic about what I’ve seen and read so far. I’m very excited just very curious how it all will work.
  • CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    I'm here to whine about it's americaness.

Couldn't they have designed a more global friendly version of uni?

Yeah, I don't really want to complain about something I've not experienced yet, but this is definitely something I agree with.
    BTW - I know this is a complain thread, but I really hope they have different levels of academic studies this time! I want my Sim to be able to do his PhD or his Master's.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    Honest question - Why do people expect bunk beds in a University EP? I don't know any university student who has a bunk bed. In my country they're mostly for children and in TS3 they were only usable by children as well. I do want them in TS4, but I always associated them with a family/children pack (Parenthood would have been perfect).
    Are bunk beds really that common for adults where you guys live? It's so uncommon for me.

My bed in university was a lofted bed. I put my desk under it to give my roommate and I more space for a futon.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Vaida wrote: »
    I'm really disappointed with lack of drums and electric guitars in the game. Hoped forming a band thing would return, or at least more instruments (it seemed like a perfect fit, since we had drums back in TS2 University), but noooope :(

SAME! I've always felt they could have added those with Get Famous though.
    giphy.gif
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    lexus20 wrote: »
    My complaint at the moment is where are the pool tables and bunk beds? I've created such a high expectation that these two items would be in this pack, and I was waiting for a University EP mainly because of these two items that I really miss, but apparently they aren't in it (unless they are but weren't show in the trailer/promotional images, which is what I hope).

I was SO looking forward to pool tables..UGH
    I've already said it before. My main complaint is that I think the last thing TS4 needed at this point was another young adult party pack. This entire year has been nothing but giving young adults more clothing and more gameplay, while every other life stage has been ignored. If anything, an education pack that added nursery for babies, pre-school for toddlers, and overhauled school system with new gameplay for kids and teens would have been a much better addition. But no, let's just end the year off with more young adult only gameplay. :/

And it doesn't help that this 'university' pack gives the vibes of yet another pack focused on friends, partying, and random 'fun' stuff over actual schooling. The first trailer showed barely anything of sims actually gaining an education. Nothing about new careers that one can attain with a degree. No actual university elements.

Also, bikes for adults to roam around a campus, while kids and toddlers don't have them for fun...just ridiculous.

omg right even if it is to just ride them around the neighborhood.
    Not a complaint but I"m worried cause I didn't see any photobooths and vending machines.

Yeah I was expecting these two items as well.
    Oh I will be annoyed if I have to load screen into the dorm room right next to my Sim in the same DORM.
    So far this is feeling like a wait for the 50% off and then buy pack. I am worried about getting robbed again after island living.

I really hate that the college town looks like willowcreek\newcrest with the same pink trees. Also, I was hoping one college with be lush and the other one a desert just to give it different landscape...not sure if this is the case but I see no evidence that it is so far.
    edited November 2019
    Oh one more thing...

I am most worried about ROTATIONAL PLAYERS. I hope I can send all my sims teens to college at the same time. This is so huge for me.
    Post edited by keekee53 on
  • doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    it'll be a partying pack like get together except with a different coat of paint and more reused objects/gameplay mechanics. with a bit of corner cutting like they usually do in EPs, and have been for years. all i want are just the basics at this point, like bunk beds, yet they can't manage to do that because its too ~hard~ to animate or too expensive, which i call bull because all these packs have been selling really well. maybe ea should try giving the team a bigger budget to one of their biggest cash cows.

i ended complaining about the game in general but i've really had it, eps were never that great but i feel like they've been dropping the ball lately, because even a lot of art direction is sloppy and that used to be the highlight of ts4.