Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Discover University Expansion Pack - Orientation video

Comments

• davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited October 2019
    I am happy about the content that has come out. With the island, magic realm, and now college the game finally has what it's been lacking, choices. I use to open up Sims3 and unless there was new content started figuring out which way I wanted to go because there was just a huge amount of choices. Finally, Sims4 has started getting new destinations that broaden the game, but unlike Sims3, sims are able to go anywhere mapwise easily. Love the look of this new hood. Having a choice in two colleges, bikes, and shower woohoo are my favorite things so far. It would also be nice to get some of the Sims in the video. I love the main character (female), the black female sim with short hair and with the long sleeve blue and green shirt, and girl with the short black hair and the number 3 on her shirt. Was wanting farming, but have to say that just like with ROM's world, you gave us some interesting new things in a choice of schools, bringing back some things simmers have been asking for, and hopefully more things we've been wanting.😃
    Post edited by davina1221 on
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It looks great. I hope it won't disappoint.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Imagine if they’re going to hold off bikes for children for a different school pack for kids. Like MFP was to C&Ds. I wouldn’t be suprised if they do.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Oh wait bunkbeds might be in the update before the release.. Now that is still an option and could be the reason why they are not shown in this EP. Let's hope for that. Cause if EA stays silent about bunkbeds in the trailer, then you should not expect them to be in the actual pack revealed a little later since bunkbeds are heavily asked for and a big sales point.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @FurSimsOfficial Agreed on the requests for bunk beds. They'd make more sense to be in a pre-pack patch (or just a general BG patch). Since it's new routing/animations/etc and build/buy can be used outside of the specific worlds, it'd mean they'd need to change the whole game. Unless they'd only be in specific prebuilt dorms, which seems unlikely.

I'm not holding my breath but it's definitely a possibility.

About the school side of Uni, I'm thinking classes and study will be kind of like the jobs that have a "work from home" option or active careers maybe? One of the descriptions mentions "go to lessons OR work on presentations and projects", which to me means that it's either an active class attendance or rabbit hole for classes, or Sims can "study from home" and they'll have tasks to do during the class time/before the next class starts.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    And that line, "Bet you didn't see this coming?" Is that a poke at the fact that this pack's existence was revealed by data-miners almost a month before the official reveal, or a bad joke referring to how "University" was basically guaranteed because it's been a staple pack since TS2 and most simmers enjoy what this theme has to offer for YA sims...? Either way, it was neither clever nor funny. Sorry, marketing team

I thought the exact same when I heard the song, just a true facepalm-moment...

Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2019
    I have to say I'm not impressed. Didn't see a lot of new gameplay in the EP.... although it's just the first trailer. I might buy it but only on sale. And the whole Villainy class....was that seriously needed? Why do they insist on making these ridiculous things no one asked for....

I wonder though, can children even ride bikes with this pack?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • 2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member
    > @AgentJulia said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > (Animation major here!) Just a friendly reminder that animation is a LOT of hard work and also time and money! While there are always things to hope for we should remember that EA is a company with a budget and a limited amount of time so they have to figure out the best way to distribute their money and labor. Look at the beautiful new world and all of the other cool features for example! (It's probably not a, oh they don't want to take the time, but rather they don't have the time to take). They're trying to fit everyone's wishlists!
    >
    > Otherwise I am very excited for this pack and I can't wait to put it on my Christmas list this year! :blush: The crab mascot is so funny 😂

OK but in TS2 we had drums and electric guitars. I'd still rather have animations for drums than a keg stand, but I get that they can't do everything for everyone. I'm not doubting that animation is a lot of hard work or money, but compared to the other two games TS4 has far less detailed animation. In fact it has a lot less animations that it's predecessors, and a lot of the animations are recycled. I get that recycling is a smart move business wise, if EA doesn't have the money or resources to make new animations fourteen years later that's a problem. I mean we are getting bikes so yay for that, but as I said it's been fourteen years since TS2 university came out, up your budget EA. Not really feeling the crab mascot I'll never use it in my game, but to each their own.

> @Sindocat said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Bands seem to me to be a great pick for Game Pack treatment. I actually like better how TS4 gradates content release, and they have said they already have ideas for years to come. I wouldn't give up hope.
    >
    > Remember also that this is just the announcement reveal. Loads more detail on things like Law, Education and Engineering careers, specific classes and majors, precise deliniation of what Britechester offers compared to Foxbury, etc.
    >
    > The trailer reveals enough features that I know I will enjoy playing at University that I am excited for this pack. I have also wanted an Education career for a long time.

I don't want a music pack. I'm sick of paying for stuff in packs that came standard in other games especially when those packs are usually underwhelming. Honestly bands and a singing career should have came with Get Famous not in a separate pack. Why have a pack dedicated just to music when that could have been accomplished in Get Famous? There are (imo) too many one off packs in TS4 already. At any rate I'll sure that University will be one of my favorite EP's and I'm still looking forward to sending my sims to college.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,547 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    It launches the day after my birthday - awesome timing! I'm going to consider it a present that I'm gonna gift myself :blush:

Awesome. It comes just before my hubby's birthday, how can I work a gift for me out of that? :D
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I have to say I'm not impressed. Didn't see a lot of new gameplay in the EP.... although it's just the first trailer. I might buy it but only on sale. And the whole Villainy class....was that seriously needed? Why do they insist on making these ridiculous things no one asked for....

I wonder though, can children even ride bikes with this pack?

Because it's funny and just the sort of oddity and strangeness that The Sims is known for. It ain't that deep.
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Bicycles!

Next step - driving cars!
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Looks too american.
    Somewhat disappointing.
    They could have replaced the beer pong with cricket, and had proper pub crawls instead of the keg. :/
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • aureliaalessioaureliaalessio Posts: 5 New Member
    I have been looking forward to a university pack since I had got the base game, and now I am even more excited! Cannot wait to see what the robot will be able to - maybe it will be as autonomous as the robot in the sims 2? I am also crazy excited about the piercings (because now I have to use modded) and abou what seemed as robotic body-parts (I saw a girl with a robotic arm). Hopefully we'll get more tattoos and activities (I mean also afterschool activities).😁😁🤞
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Looks too american.
    Somewhat disappointing.
    They could have replaced the beer pong with cricket, and had proper pub crawls instead of the keg. :/

What's cricket?
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    And then some people would have said it’s too British I guess ?
    Looks too american.
    Somewhat disappointing.

• Anfernee93PAnfernee93P Posts: 42 Member
    Blaring editing errors in this trailer. For one the female sim riding the bike, there’s clipping with the bush and fence. Second, the Sims walking out of the lab are laggy/glitching.

Do you seriously not notice these things in a teaser for a game you’re trying to sell? Or if they do they choose to ignore it, they assume we (the consumer) won’t notice?
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Blaring editing errors in this trailer. For one the female sim riding the bike, there’s clipping with the bush and fence. Second, the Sims walking out of the lab are laggy/glitching.

Do you seriously not notice these things in a teaser for a game you’re trying to sell? Or if they do they choose to ignore it, they assume we (the consumer) won’t notice?

Oh wow I never noticed....:O...
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Looks too american.
    Somewhat disappointing.

What's cricket?

That British sport where they hit a ball on the grass with a paddle. Or is it while they hit a ball on horses...one of the other.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Looks too american.
    Somewhat disappointing.

What's cricket?

Probably the most popular summer sport in the southern hemisphere. It originated in England, and is played in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan, Ireland... to name just a few.
    Dianesims wrote: »
    And then some people would have said it’s too British I guess ?
    Looks too american.
    Somewhat disappointing.

Pub crawls are aussie traditions too. And as for cricket, about half the world plays it. It's certainly more popular in far more parts of the world than 'beer pong' or 'keg stands'.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • aureliaalessioaureliaalessio Posts: 5 New Member
    Reply on: SimsLovinLycan
    >>
    I can't believe it took THIS LONG to get proper bathroom stalls in the game...We've be doing makeshift stalls with tiny rooms and normal doors for, like FIVE YEARS now...and we FINALLY have proper stalls for public toilets. Why did it take this freaking long? That should have been in the base game, and ya'll know it. And that line, "Bet you didn't see this coming?" Is that a poke at the fact that this pack's existence was revealed by data-miners almost a month before the official reveal, or a bad joke referring to how "University" was basically guaranteed because it's been a staple pack since TS2 and most simmers enjoy what this theme has to offer for YA sims...? Either way, it was neither clever nor funny. Sorry, marketing team.

Ahem! Anyway, looking forward to robotics and bikes. Really, that's the only stuff I'll be buying this pack for, since I doubt all of the social interactions and activities shown will actually be as fun and exciting as advertised. Now...Werewolves, when?
    >>

I agree... And I am also wondering when we will get the "basic" stuff we should have had a long time ago - like vehicles and helicopters🤞😅, more apartments/possibility to build apartments, werewolves and other magical creatures, etc...
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I thought the song was really fun. 😁

I wish there had been musical instruments, but I am still thrilled with this pack! I can't wait!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • 2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    AgentJulia wrote: »
    2fab4uboo wrote: »
    No drums or electric guitars. That means no bands, welp color me disappointed. I feel like we'll never get them now. Guess EA doesn't want to take the time to do those animations. I'd rather have bands than "juice pong" Oh well it is what it is. I am a little more than mildly excited for this pack. I just wish EA would add something new instead of recycling what's already been done in TS2 and TS3. Of course I haven't seen everything yet so hopefully there will be something that makes TS4 university stand out from the previous two versions.

(Animation major here!) Just a friendly reminder that animation is a LOT of hard work and also time and money! While there are always things to hope for we should remember that EA is a company with a budget and a limited amount of time so they have to figure out the best way to distribute their money and labor. Look at the beautiful new world and all of the other cool features for example! (It's probably not a, oh they don't want to take the time, but rather they don't have the time to take). They're trying to fit everyone's wishlists!

Otherwise I am very excited for this pack and I can't wait to put it on my Christmas list this year! :blush: The crab mascot is so funny 😂

Sure, it's not like they're a major AAA company who's entire job it is to make a simulation game. And it's not like we pay A LOT of money for whatever they put out. Not disagreeing that animation is a a good amount of work, but they should definitely be MORE efficient 5 years into a game, not less. I simply cannot agree with that kind of excuse that 'it's hard'. For someone starting out it might be, but it shouldn't be for a major company like EA - not with such a gigantic audience the game has.

A well managed gaming company will develop tools that will enable them to make animations faster and cheaper - especially if they're planning to develop the game for a longer period of time. If they can't bother to develop these tools, that's on them, not the customers that only want the best game possible.

Yeah it always baffles me when people act as if EA is some struggling indie company. If you want an idea of how EA is doing here are some facts: Electronic Arts reported its fiscal year 2018 revenue at over $5.1 billion USD, a record-breaking year for the game-maker. That figure represents an increase of about $305 million over EA's FY2017 numbers. You're telling me with those profits that EA can't budget for new animations? As for time limits who is setting those besides EA? I'd rather wait for a fully fleshed out bug free game, rather than to have a rushed half put together pack that we'll have to end up patching two weeks later. Obviously I still enjoy TS4 or else I wouldn't be playing it, and I'm sure I'll enjoy University well enough, but EA needs make the TS4 more of a priority for their customers and less of a cash grab.
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    This might be the very first pack I won't buy, but, to be honest, I was never really into university. (Also, I hate studying in real life. lol) The only things which really caught my attention are the facial piercings and the shower woohoo. Still not worth 40 bucks, though, especially since there's a huge variety of CC and mods providing similar content. However, I'm happy for those who are excited for this pack. :)
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    It launches the day after my birthday - awesome timing! I'm going to consider it a present that I'm gonna gift myself :blush:

I just noticed that it launches on a holiday in my country, so I'll have more time to play it!