Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Are Laptops So Clunky?

Sims 3 laptops are better still.
For example you cannot close them, they're always on and open. The mouse is always out too. You cannot sit on the ground and use them either. You also have to place it on a counter, table, or desk by click and dragging it out of your Sim's inventory. You cannot select it from the inventory and Sims will not autonomously use them from their inventory. You have to click and drag it from the surface to your inventory and vice versa. Its a hassle and showcases how god awful Sims 4 laptops are in comparison to a 2009 game. They really just shoehorned in laptops at the last minute which act just like normal desktop computers in The Sims 4 with Strangerville.

In Sims 3 you can use them anywhere and Sims can pull them out of their inventory whenever. Also depending if you're sitting down on the ground or sitting on a chair at a surface like a desk, table, counter, etc. you had different interactions with the laptop. Your Sim would actually pick it up, set it down, open it up, close it, hear the sounds of the laptop powering on and off. So much detail for a 2009 game compared to a 2014 game.

TL;DR
Sims 3 laptops are laptops while Sims 4 laptops are reskinned desktops.
1. The Sims 2
2. The Sims 3
3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
4. The Sims 1

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,873 Member
    edited October 2019
    Let’s see if with University we can take laptops everywhere.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Let’s see if with University we can take laptops everywhere.
    Doubtful, the trend lately has been "make disappointing gameplay and never come back to it."
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    They aren't really laptops. They're desktops made to look like laptops. I want real laptops that sims can carry around in their inventory and take out anywhere they want.
  • karieebokarieebo Posts: 24 Member
    Yeah, I really hope the developers change the way laptops function. I don't mean an exact copy from TS3, but something similar (and more functional).
  • BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 638 Member
    Yeah I agree, I think the laptops should be thinner, maybe even function like both a laptop and a tablet.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I don't really care. I don't need my sims to use it on the floor, and I can take it to a Karaoke Bar if I want! That's all I need to be satisfied, personally.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I don't mind the clunky look, kind of fits the cartoony style which is also found in the telescope and such. But I do hope sims will be able to use them on the floor or on a couch one day. The restriction to tables/desks limits the use of laptops immensely.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'm more interested I'm the floor use aspect because I limit my sims computer use severely.
    But sims in 2019 I feel should be able to sit anywhere on the floor. With or without laptop.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I like that sims can carry their laptops around, to me that's the top priority. Sitting on a floor using them could be nice too, but I miss more writing journals on a floor.
  • lilleefslilleefs Posts: 52 Member
    isn't the point of a laptop literally that you can take it wherever you want :D Did whoever made them forget I wonder :D :D
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited October 2019
    I hope they will be improved with uni or int he patch before. Hope they can still work on that if they did not come up with this themselves.