Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting a new PC might try TS3 again maybe

RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
Hi my laptop died due to old age last legs

I plan to get the NZXT Starter Plus due to tower budget (Parents' decision)

I plan to play TS2-TS4 (which all three are on origin) along with other games on steam and origin

I fear about TS3 eating this PC since there's only one storage besides the game possibly nuking my new pc early on and I do plan to get packs I've missed since the terrible pc I had as a tween nuked due to poor tech (thought it was TS3 for the longest time which struck a giant paranoia in me with sims 3 for years)

I'm aware I need stuff like NRAAS and the nexus gpu tool to identify newer cards, is the pc alright and there's anything to soothe my anxiety with making sure the game runs extremely smooth and not storage hungry?
= Sims Player for 17+ Years =
tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2019
    Is this the build we are taking about, the second one being displayed on this page?
    https://www.nzxt.com/news/108

If so, those specs are way above what any of the sims games need to run. It should all be fine. The biggest favor you can do TS3 in particular, this is actually not optional, is make sure to cap the fps rates on that Nvidia GTX 1660 card for TS3 once you have it installed as otherwise it will tend to run way too high with wildly fluctuating frame rates. TS3 being an older game has no functional built-in fps limiter and this is what has the potential to damage hardware. TS4 has one built in already in its game options, and I don't believe that TS2 would really run in such a way to cause these issues. For TS3, we usually recommend vertical sync on the Nivida Control Panel and then add Nvidia Inspector as needed to explicitly cap the frame rates to the refresh rate of your monitor.

Storage (hard drive) space is only one attribute to be concerned about, but this one comes with a 1 TB SSD. Unless you plan to have a library of full length movies or some other huge element of file storage in addition to sims games, that would be more than enough to work with.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited October 2019
    igazor wrote: »
    Is this the build we are taking about, the second one being displayed on this page?
    https://www.nzxt.com/news/108

If so...

Yep that's the Starter Plus the $999 one

For now I'm just sticking to TS2 and TS4 though I might just wait for the 64 bit for TS3, I'll look into the required vertical sync too

For storage it will mostly be pictures, some mp4 videos nothing too big, and other games on steam and origin besides the mentioned sims titles

I could go for better but I'm more comfortable with a prebuilt and due to strict budget this will have to do for now

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Looks like a pretty good value to me, overall.

Just to clarify something, there is no 64-bit version of TS3 in the works that we know of. There was a recent announcement about how TS3 for Mac is being compatibility patched to allow it to run on the new macOS, which is a 64-bit environment only. But that doesn't mean they are changing a thing about the game files themselves, how they operate, or are doing anything with the Windows version.

Or...now this is possible I guess, have I missed some other kind of announcement?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Looks like a pretty good value to me, overall.

Just to clarify something, there is no 64-bit version of TS3 in the works that we know of. There was a recent announcement about how TS3 for Mac...

Yeah though the most I'm expecting if there will be one for windows is just better ram usage
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Hi my laptop died due to old age last legs

I plan to get the NZXT Starter Plus due to tower budget (Parents' decision)

I plan to play TS2-TS4 (which all three are on origin) along with other games on steam and origin

I fear about TS3 eating this PC since there's only one storage besides the game possibly nuking my new pc early on and I do plan to get packs I've missed since the terrible pc I had as a tween nuked due to poor tech (thought it was TS3 for the longest time which struck a giant paranoia in me with sims 3 for years)

I'm aware I need stuff like NRAAS and the nexus gpu tool to identify newer cards, is the pc alright and there's anything to soothe my anxiety with making sure the game runs extremely smooth and not storage hungry?

The excessive frame rates must be taken care of, but other than that I don't think you have anything to worry about. I have played TS3 for almost 5 years on my Asus gaming desktop, and it's still alive and kicking. :)

"Need"? I'd rather call them entirely optional, since some TS3 players use them, others do not.