This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Why disable Commenting?

TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
I am very much enjoying looking at the creations of others, and exploring all there is out there to see and learn. But, I don't understand why so many people disable commenting, in their Catalog. I find it difficult to care to spend the time going through their creations and to try to communicate, when they lock their doors and seal their blinds, to not let anyone in, when there are so many others who are so kind, talented and who communicate back and forth.

Am I alone? Why do people do this?

Comments

• Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    because they don't want to see the comments lol, they don't really need any other reason
    the gallery isn't moderated and there are a lot of children, trolls, and spammers using it
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    Cupid wrote: »
    because they don't want to see the comments lol, they don't really need any other reason
    the gallery isn't moderated and there are a lot of children, trolls, and spammers using it

Maybe I have not experienced the more hateful among us. It seems to be easy enough to delete those comments or simply ignore them and move on. I enjoy communicating with other builders and it just seems a hassle, when they are anti-social.
  • Options
    And, you can report hateful idiots? Can you not?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Taoron wrote: »
    Cupid wrote: »

Maybe I have not experienced the more hateful among us. It seems to be easy enough to delete those comments or simply ignore them and move on. I enjoy communicating with other builders and it just seems a hassle, when they are anti-social.

Maybe it's easy for you to ignore things and more difficult for others. Maybe some people just don't want to be bothered with it at all. We're all different, right? It might not even have anything to do with hate comments; some people might just honestly not care what anybody thinks about their uploads, positive or negative.

And if someone is "anti-social," they probably don't want anybody to try and communicate with them in the first place - which is something I think I would try to respect
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    Then, why upload it for public consumption? I think if people are going to make negative comments on a build, they are going to make it on that build, and not on the wall, at least from what I have seen. It's more specific that way. "This sucks' would make more sense, on an individual item, which you cannot turn off the commenting for.

I do understand taking the negative personally. I do, too. Trust me. I take a lot personally. But, again, you cannot turn off comments on a specific build, so, turning off comments on your wall, will save you no pain. Nor will it stop people from commenting positive or negative. The only way to do that is simply to save it to yourself.

So, I still don't understand. I will say, I have mentioned it to more than one person who did not even know they were doing it. It's not off by default. Most have turned it back on, not knowing that they turned it off, but some have responded as you have, that some people are mean, but, 'beating a dead horse', you cannot turn off commenting, positive or nagateive, on a specific upload, if you share it to the community at large. So, turning off commenting on the wall saves you from nothing. No?
  • Options
    Then, why upload it for public consumption?

To contribute to the community. I don't really think anyone would argue that they rather these people stop sharing their creations entirely rather than just turn their comments off if that's what they wanna do.
    I think if people are going to make negative comments on a build, they are going to make it on that build, and not on the wall, at least from what I have seen. It's more specific that way. "This plum' would make more sense, on an individual item, which you cannot turn off the commenting for.

I do understand taking the negative personally. I do, too. Trust me. I take a lot personally. But, again, you cannot turn off comments on a specific build, so, turning off comments on your wall, will save you no pain. Nor will it stop people from commenting positive or negative. The only way to do that is simply to save it to yourself.

So, I still don't understand. I will say, I have mentioned it to more than one person who did not even know they were doing it. It's not off by default. Most have turned it back on, not knowing that they turned it off, but some have responded as you have, that some people are mean, but, 'beating a dead horse', you cannot turn off commenting, positive or nagateive, on a specific upload, if you share it to the community at large. So, turning off commenting on the wall saves you from nothing. No?

I don't really get the point you're making here. If it's all the same regardless of whether you're commenting on their profile or their builds, why not just leave your comments on one of their builds?

I personally don't see it as the same thing - considering you have to look at your wall more often than you have to look at any one particular build. And like I said, it might not have anything at all to do with positivity or negativity. If I were someone who used the gallery I would probably turn it off, too. Not because I take anything personally, just because I don't want the burden of thanking or responding to people who post comments on my wall (and I'd feel rude to just ignore them.) I know some people use the gallery as a social tool and that it has its own sort of community, the same way the forum does. Not everyone wants to be part of that and that's completely fine.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    Agree with you both @Taoron and @Cupid. While it annoys me personally when someone's commenting is off (especially, if they have commented on my creations or wall first), I do also understand, if someone doesn't want comments on their wall. Not only does it slows down rest of the Gallery and game, if there are tons of comments on your wall, but it's a time taking matter to individually delete comments and to thank and comment back. Since ppl typically expect polite behavior such as replying or thanking back, not being able to do so can give excessive feeling of guilt and/or discomfort.

Another matter entirely are those who use Gallery sharing as their game world save cloud/backup because shared content will remain in Gallery, if your hard-drive breaks down and you loose everything. The content that was only uploaded/saved in your library (catalog) will be lost.

There are plenty of other reasons as well like trolling, bullying, spamming etc. and for a young person it can be as destructive as typical bullying in school is. Of course there are also those who don't know they've turned it off or maybe (for a young player) their parent has turned it off.... Just my thoughts of the matter :)
  • Options
    Okay. Those reasons make sense @Gwiniel. I was not aware that if it was only in your own Library, that it would be lost. I never, in a million years, have dreamed that would be so, as you are still uploading it, to their servers and it is your account. That seems rather odd, but okay.

I also did not realize that having excessing comment slowed the game down. Again, I never would have dreamed that would be a thing, as it is their servers and the game fiules reside on your PC, or so I thought. Again, odd, but okay.

Now I need to check those things out. LOL I am a tech guy and NEED to know.

The negative comments, bullying etc, I don't get. as they can do that on the build, in the Gallery and the wall being off, is a sheet of paper as far as defense from that is concerned, if someone wanted to mess with you. Maybe the better question I should have asked, is 'why is it set up the way it is', as if it is set up for privacy, it's a window. A big, plate glass window. It makes no sense as a protection barrier, as you can simply, with the clever use of a mouse click, walk right past it. There is a good chance that most people who purposefully do it, to avoid those sorts of things, or have smaller children, don't realize that making it "private" does no such thing, in reality.

All I saw, was an artist opening an Art Gallery, inviting people to come view their art, taking comment on said art, good or bad, as long as people were in the Gallery and once they walked out the door, ignoring those patrons and refusing to speak to them and pretending that they did not exist. That's what made no sense to me.

Not being argumentative, at all. Just a need to understand why. Thank you for adding some light to it.
  • Options
    GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    Okay. Those reasons make sense @Gwiniel. I was not aware that if it was only in your own Library, that it would be lost. I never, in a million years, have dreamed that would be so, as you are still uploading it, to their servers and it is your account. That seems rather odd, but okay.

I also did not realize that having excessing comment slowed the game down. Again, I never would have dreamed that would be a thing, as it is their servers and the game fiules reside on your PC, or so I thought. Again, odd, but okay.

Now I need to check those things out. LOL I am a tech guy and NEED to know.

Well I certainly am not a tech person in anyway, just told you what I've "heard" (read) others say within a year in Gallery and/or here on forum. Sending you a pm about the matter.
    The negative comments, bullying etc, I don't get. as they can do that on the build, in the Gallery and the wall being off, is a sheet of paper as far as defense from that is concerned, if someone wanted to mess with you. Maybe the better question I should have asked, is 'why is it set up the way it is', as if it is set up for privacy, it's a window. A big, plate glass window. It makes no sense as a protection barrier, as you can simply, with the clever use of a mouse click, walk right past it. There is a good chance that most people who purposefully do it, to avoid those sorts of things, or have smaller children, don't realize that making it "private" does no such thing, in reality.

99% agree with you there. There's 1 thing though... it's much easier to constantly bully someone on the wall, than go through the trouble on commenting on a specific creation, when bullying in most parts rely on public shaming and belittling. You and I are mature/old enough not to care about such anymore but for someone like a 11 year old it's a whole another matter, when belonging and being part of community or a group is a major part of their young lives (see it as seeking their place and acceptance in the world). Some are very vulnerable in that sense. It also apply to more sensitive adults. At least that's how I see it.

I know you don't ask these questions etc in desire to argue - I too have a similar yearn to understand various things.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited October 2019
    It may have to do with a post I saw on Twitter. It stated there was a simmer on the gallery who is targeting people on the gallery and bullying and harassing them through the comments section on their submissions. From what I understand the person is quite relentless and has caused quite a bit of upset.

ETA:

Here’s the post. The Twitter user wrote is out on notepad and then put the screen cap on Twitter.

1MkJi4u.png
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I think there are plenty of reasons. Bullying is definitely one - people might have been subjected to it and chose to shut the doors to the possibility of a repeat, or they might be turning off commenting as a preemptive measure.

Another is anxiety. It's one thing to put creations on the gallery for others to see and a whole another to get comments (good and bad) and deal with those. Not everyone is built to be able to deal with that. It may seem easy and awesome to want to encourage someone or send praise (and thank you everyone who does that) but for some people, it comes with the feeling of obligation to respond to those comments which can be hard. (I've had a few comments on mine and I inevitably a) don't know whether I should or shouldn't reply since you can't @ users on there to notify them, b) felt guilty when I didn't. It's complicated.

But I'm sure there are some people who just don't want the comments, don't care for them, don't want the notifications (since it's only a "everything on or everything off" option on the gallery).

The reporting tool on the gallery also needs a major overhaul, honestly. It's been misused way too much.
  • Options
    wendyologywendyology Posts: 395 Member
    I'm now reminded that I need to go on the gallery and thin out the comments for my builds.

Overall I feel like comments sections just aren't adequate as a tool to build community. At least on the forum it's easier to have conversations and I can see how people are progressing in their build knowledge. When they get to a Sims 5 gallery I feel like a fave and download button is enough.
  • Options
    wendyology wrote: »
    I'm now reminded that I need to go on the gallery and thin out the comments for my builds.

Overall I feel like comments sections just aren't adequate as a tool to build community. At least on the forum it's easier to have conversations and I can see how people are progressing in their build knowledge. When they get to a Sims 5 gallery I feel like a fave and download button is enough.

I agree. I often ask people either to come here or Facebook, when they want to actually talk about something, or need help. Bouncing back and forth is a bit of a pain.

@Pamtastic72 Wow. That person sounds like they could use some help. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that.

@darrenfroggy I get that. I get that way too. I'll see things here that I don't comment on right away and I feel bad, even though I'm sitting here and I can see it. I might be in a build at that moment. I might have my feet up on the desk and watching a show or a movie. I do try to get to it, eventually. Same in my Catalog. If people comment, I feel compelled to go say HI and reciprocate. It may take me a day or two, but I get around to it.

I think the community at large is great, compared to some, in some games. Of course, in any large gathering of humans, there will always be a few who just can't go with the flow and have to be difficult, hateful, mean spirited, whatever. I've played a lot of games over the past 20-some-odd years, with some pretty awful communities. Some were great. Most were pretty bad. I didn't even bother with the forums here until recently and I'm glad I did. It's led me to other resources like the Facebook Builder's Group which is wonderfully active and I created an Instagram account (I didn't even know what that was until then) and picked up a bunch of new followers and have been able to share with even more people; taught me a lot about building, got to be able to meet and chat with a lot of really cool people (that would be you guys) and, of course, given my ego a little pat on the back from time to time too, which after falling into a deep, dark pit of depression a couple of years ago and eventually climbing back out, could use a little pat every now and again. So, all in all, so far, over the past couple of months, the experience has been a major positive.

I really appreciate all of the feedback. I've learned a lot. Thank you!
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I don't know how many lots I've downloaded from the gallery where the only (recent) comments are line after line after line of song lyrics or memes, and nothing helpful regarding the lot itself, not even a "Thanks so much! I love this restaurant/house/park/etc!".

I can understand why some creators don't want to enable comments.