Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 on Mac

Can you guys please make all The Sims 3 games available for mac users? I would love to play it again because I miss it so much! That would be great!

Comments

• Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @nessatay1920 According to this: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/An-announcement-for-The-Sims-3-players-on-Mac/m-p/8271641#M5813, a 64-bit version is coming early 2020
    Not a free version though. If you're not on Catalina, I believe the regular version is playable on Mac.
  • Options
    nessatay1920nessatay1920 Posts: 459 Member
    @nessatay1920 According to this: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/An-announcement-for-The-Sims-3-players-on-Mac/m-p/8271641#M5813, a 64-bit version is coming early 2020
    Not a free version though. If you're not on Catalina, I believe the regular version is playable on Mac.

Yea I’m on Catalina but in 2020 will it be through origin?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2019
    If you were not yet on Catalina, TS3 for Mac would still require an Origin install. The discs haven't been usable since before El Capitan was the current macOS as they refuse to be authenticated. The current version (again, not on Catalina) only requires Origin for Mac to install, not to actually run/ control/ startup the game.

From all accounts, the newly patched version coming in 2020 will require Origin control just as the Windows version (when installed through Origin and not disc or Steam) currently does. What we don't yet know is if the new Mac patch will lift the draconian 2 GB RAM restriction that has plagued Mac users since the beginning of this game. We don't think EA is really producing a 64-bit version of the game for Mac users, we think they are compatibility patching/tricking out the existing game so it can run on Catalina, which is a 64-bit only environment. A subtle but still kind of an important difference.

I still play TS3 on my Mac, but by having Bootcamped Windows onto it and I play the Windows version isntead (through Steam, not Origin) so as not to have to put up with the still restricted Mac version. But we are waiting and hoping to see what EA comes up with. Making requests of them through this forum isn't likely to get results though, as your audience here is really your fellow players and not the decision makers at EA.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    nessatay1920nessatay1920 Posts: 459 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    If you were not yet on Catalina, TS3 for Mac would still require an Origin install. The discs haven't been usable since before El Capitan was the current macOS as they refuse to be authenticated. The current version (again, not on Catalina) only requires Origin for Mac to install, not to actually run/ control/ startup the game.

From all accounts, the newly patched version coming in 2020 will require Origin control just as the Windows version (when installed through Origin and not disc or Steam) currently does. What we don't yet know is if the new Mac patch will lift the draconian 2 GB RAM restriction that has plagued Mac users since the beginning of this game. We don't think EA is really producing a 64-bit version of the game for Mac users, we think they are compatibility patching/tricking out the existing game so it can run on Catalina, which is a 64-bit only environment. A subtle but still kind of an important difference.

I still play TS3 on my Mac, but by having Bootcamped Windows onto it and I play the Windows version isntead (through Steam, not Origin) so as not to have to put up with the still restricted Mac version. But we are waiting and hoping to see what EA comes up with. Making requests of them through this forum isn't likely to get results though, as your audience here is really your fellow players and not the decision makers at EA.

Well hopefully I will be able to get it on my mac. Thanks for the insight.