Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should TS4 come to an end and make place for TS5?

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Win7 support (extended support, that is) completely ends early next year, so I doubt that will be supported. As for Win8, I think that depends on when TS5 comes out. Regular support already ended, extended (aka security patches) will go until 2023.
    XP was honestly an outlier because of how many people were still on it. Many still are, because it runs a lot of software used in various industries (medical at the very least). & XP's main support ended only a year before Win7, extended one stretched until earlier this year.

I'd say chances are pretty high that it'll be Win10/whatever comes next.

They knew MS would not support W7 and it would be more vunerable to attacks without anymore security patches, but knowing that they would go ahead and offer it on that OS? Knowing in advance, before they even started developing a game? It seems to me it should only be offered for Windows 10 because of the online requirements we know it will have through Origin if not multiplayer and online all the time.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    Morning Simmers! and everyone at maxis, i love the sims4! and hope it continues, as for sims5, i prefer that the devs take the time to make it right, i realize that the devs work hard, but at the same time we need new young blood with new ideas, suggestions, to help the team at maxis. i will always like the sims! still waiting for more exciting packs such as.. farming, amusement park pack, packs focusing on more things for the elderly, and teens, and preteens. thank you, hope this gets read :) have a great day!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I really would like for somone to leak something about TS5. :) I might not even like what I would read about TS5, but after five years of a game I'm not all that hung up on, I would like to see what I might like in a different game. But honestly I bought them all, maybe not all EPs or GPs in all of them, but I like to keep going forward to see what new technology can make The Sims more life like. With each iteration, we gained something (maybe we lost a lot, too, from one to the next) but The Sims movements are a far cry from the movements of TS1 and I like to see how they make things work, and make a Sim move and behave in a more human, realistic way. Granted TS4 is a bit over the top, ok, a whole lot, with exaggerated animations and expressions, most of the time, but they do move smoothy with body movements and I would like to see how TS5 can advance that even more. It's a pity really I had to wait almost fifteen years to see a Sim be able to put their legs in a pool while seated on the edge. Those are the type things I want to see in the future games, what new tech has made it possible for Maxis to make even more exciting human movement and behaviour? Such as sitting while using a phone. I had to wait fifteen years to see that.

I'm still waiting on the day the mom can carry a toddler, hold a phone at her ear and stir a pot on the stove. ETA: Still waiting on the day Sims can just jump over that flower bed fence. Or just put a hand on the fence and hop over it. (Had a mod in TS2 that could do that) Human behavior. You know I still have some big dreams of what Sims should be and how they move and act.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Win7 support (extended support, that is) completely ends early next year, so I doubt that will be supported. As for Win8, I think that depends on when TS5 comes out. Regular support already ended, extended (aka security patches) will go until 2023.
    XP was honestly an outlier because of how many people were still on it. Many still are, because it runs a lot of software used in various industries (medical at the very least). & XP's main support ended only a year before Win7, extended one stretched until earlier this year.

They knew MS would not support W7 and it would be more vunerable to attacks without anymore security patches, but knowing that they would go ahead and offer it on that OS? Knowing in advance, before they even started developing a game? It seems to me it should only be offered for Windows 10 because of the online requirements we know it will have through Origin if not multiplayer and online all the time.

W7 gets extended support until 2020. W8 until 2023. Security patches during that time are free and covered by said support. TS4 launched in 2014, 6 years continued support for the OS is plenty of time.
    At the time of TS4 launch, a huge amount of PC users were likely on W7 (because, off topic, but W8 was a disaster and a half) and W10 didn't even exist outside of Beta.

And yes, I did say that TS5 will very likely not be for anything other than Win10 (plus whatever OS comes next, if there is a new one when TS5 launches).
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

W7 gets extended support until 2020. W8 until 2023. Security patches during that time are free and covered by said support. TS4 launched in 2014, 6 years continued support for the OS is plenty of time.
    At the time of TS4 launch, a huge amount of PC users were likely on W7 (because, off topic, but W8 was a disaster and a half) and W10 didn't even exist outside of Beta.

And yes, I did say that TS5 will very likely not be for anything other than Win10 (plus whatever OS comes next, if there is a new one when TS5 launches).

I use Win7 because the others are CRAP and hardly get any sims games to play on them.
  • Options
    jj_____jj_____ Posts: 167 Member
    SHOULD TS4 COME TO AN END AND MAKE PLACE FOR TS5?

My answer for this is NO. Simply because I enjoy playing TS4 and there are so many things that could be still added to that game. I'm just happy that there is at least some years still left for TS4, wouln't mind if more than that 3 years(?). I'm not interested buying TS5 any time soon at all. I don't have even enough time to play games that I currently have, so I don't need new ones at any time soon. TS5 is welcome though, and I would like to know more about it for sure.. when that time comes.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Should TS4 come to an end now and make way for TS5? Only if TS5 is ready and that they were very careful and thoughtful about its development so that it follows after in the same fun, innovative and detailed spirit of the first three iterations. So I can wait. I don't want the devs to do a horrible rush job on the engine like they did with TS4. If TS5 is amazing, I'll practically throw all my money at them - especially if they add a Sims 5 Store!

The only thing I want right now is some official news from EAxis about TS5 and to have periodic updates on its progress and what features they're working on. Something to look forward to and be excited about is what I miss these past five years. The only time I ever got excited about TS4 was when news of the Island Living GP EP was leaked and then announced....only to have my excitement dashed when I learned of what wasn't included. *Sigh* I still feel a little brokenhearted about that. :'(

Anyway, I still have TS3, TS2 and other video games to keep me happily occupied in the meantime.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2019
    cody6268 wrote: »
    There's a lot of stuff I feel TS4 needs that TS3 had. Unfortunately, the mechanics and engine of TS4 are very limiting. In part, I feel those things simply need to just be added to what will become TS5. But, will the new game possibly miss the mark even worse than TS4? In other words, again, even being more stripped without the purchase of DLC/Packs and possibly dependent on an online connection? I hope not.

Heck, there are things in TS2 that TS4 is still missing. Slow dancing, non-object play for Children, werewolves (yeah, I'll keep harping on that), cars, burglars, firefighters...TS4 has a lot of holes. Now, if they could just get that frog DNA to fill in the holes and complete the code...(A pretend candy bar to all who get that reference.)
    There are things TS1 had that TS4 is missing too. Like NPCs and pond tools and dark humor. I admit I did enjoy writing a 145+ list of things the Sims 4 will never get. It felt a lot more motivating than having hope that any entertaining game play would actual come to this series this iteration. CAS is still the main focus for the franchise and still for females and I don't see it changing in 5, 10, 20 years from now.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Princess_07xPrincess_07x Posts: 926 Member
    BRING BACK SIMS 2.... BUT AS SIMS 5 (WITH MRS CRUMPLE BOTTOM AND THAT TRAGIC CLOWN
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    This is my last iteration of the Sims. Been through 4. That's enough. I've watched it devolve since 2. I have no interest in 5 or what it brings. I don't think they want to go back to the likes of 1 or 2.

People change, times change. Sometimes not for the better. As we've seen in the last 2 versions of this game. I've no interest in the future of the Sims. lol, I've little faith in the future of people either. Not if this is a reflection of it.
  • Options
    AtomicSimmerAtomicSimmer Posts: 1,133 Member
    The Sims 4 was half baked from the very start. It is just now starting to come together. I feel like a TS5 can wait for several more years yet.
    ATOMICSIMMER
    Sims Fanboy
    Play with Life
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    The Sims 4 has lasted enough years now. Wanting it to last just because you happen to like it, even when it’s clear that doesn’t apply to many other simmers, is in my view not defensible (as a general argument; that it can be a personal reason is obvious).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Technically, literally, yes. If anyone takes the time to read the Nov. 12 patch notes I experienced De ja vu. Some of those notes tell the tale of repeating fixes for the game. Problems I know I had before, way back in 2017 and were stated as fixed a few times and obvivously some of them keep returning. So, while reading the patch notes I noticed things already been fixed a few times, so starting to repeat the same fixes over and over, yes, the game should end even if it's just for the sake of preserving code and game integrity in the long haul. Who wants to keep downloading some same bug fixes they downloaded three years ago or longer. Peat And Repeat.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    Technically, literally, yes. If anyone takes the time to read the Nov. 12 patch notes I experienced De ja vu. Some of those notes tell the tale of repeating fixes for the game. Problems I know I had before, way back in 2017 and were stated as fixed a few times and obvivously some of them keep returning. So, while reading the patch notes I noticed things already been fixed a few times, so starting to repeat the same fixes over and over, yes, the game should end even if it's just for the sake of preserving code and game integrity in the long haul. Who wants to keep downloading some same bug fixes they downloaded three years ago or longer. Peat And Repeat.

Yeah - and? It's the way of video games. We didn't stop manufacturing cars and appliances because they have the same issues they've had since conception. You fix the issues and move on. People that don't want to do not have to. The rest of us move on. Life repeats itself - do we all stop living?

The way it's always worked when the new game is ready to launch the old game stops production - that's all it stops. Those who want the new game move on to it and all the ever new customers that happen with every new thing.

Sims prove that - we have way more players today than we ever did with Sims 1,2, and even 3.... The mighty automobile still gets flat tires, still needs a new battery and tune-up and oil change. Daja vu or actually requirement for the vehicle. Life is a repeat - do we stop living because our grandparents had the same things and life had the same problems. It's still a video game we have here and to logically be expected. They get newer and faster but they are still basically the same design they have been and as with all things in life improvement is slow but ever slightly changing.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I mean, as of now, Discover University is out, and there hasn't been a single hate thread posted since it's release... so sure, The Sims 4 can keep going!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2019
    That's cause five years in, smart simmers understand that hate threads are futile, as, no matter how well constructed they are, they fall on deaf ears. And even if the game was so good, that never means there's no room for improvement. A five years run is a very long tenure; the longest of the 4 entries if I'm not mistaken. But the'll only listen to themselves when it will be time to move towards a fifth entry, or stopping TS4 altogether. From a sales standpoint, I think they solidified their new fanbase enough to be optimistic about a new entry.
  • Options
    EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited November 2019
    I really love TS4 and, while there is a lot I would like to see added and improved on, I feel it has some a long way since release and it still has a lot of potential. If TS4 ends before it feels 'complete' to me, then I'm not sure I would want to move on and start over with TS5. I have no guarantee that TS5 will be an improvement or move in a direction that I would want.

I agree with this comment. There still needs to be werewolves in the game as well as cars, dishwashers,werevamps, fairies and elves too. There also needs to be superheroes, and those with disabilities in "The Sims 4". And have disabled superheroes too. Also the "Legacy Edition" to be fixed so that the "Legacy Edition" doesn't wipe out all the sims families that have been made and people worked hard on. We also need food processors and garbage compactors.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2019
    I mean, as of now, Discover University is out, and there hasn't been a single hate thread posted since it's release... so sure, The Sims 4 can keep going!
    Because apparently it’s an good expansion for those who love the game and those of us who don’t love the game couldn’t care less and don’t have an opinion. It’s actually pretty telling that no hating is considered a good sign now.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited November 2019

Oh, idk.
    Some of the things I’ve seen so far; sims from all neighbourhoods showing up on campus and in dorms. No cooking allowed, at all. No potion making, it’s considered cooking. No kids riding bikes. Rabbit hole classes. Sims not going to class.

And that’s just on here. You should see twitter and reddit.

—T
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    To7m wrote: »

Oh, idk.
    Some of the things I’ve seen so far; sims from all neighbourhoods showing up on campus and in dorms. No cooking allowed, at all. No potion making, it’s considered cooking. No kids riding bikes. Rabbit hole classes. Sims not going to class.

And that’s just on here. You should see twitter and reddit.

—T

Well to be fair at least here in the states cooking isn't allowed in University unless you get private rental or off campus. You can't even have a hot plate. So we don't find it odd.

Also since before Sims 4 came out the devs and Rachael said there was no end time planned for Sims 4 - it would go longer than previous games and this game engine had a much longer shelf life. She said it would be developed "as long as it was feasible to do so" - so it was planned from before it came out to have at least twice the life of other Sims games - and we are not even there yet.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    The Sims 4 was half baked from the very start. It is just now starting to come together. I feel like a TS5 can wait for several more years yet.

Wow, that's a left-handed compliment if ever I heard one, basically "The game was junk, but hey! Let's throw more money at it!" SMH I'm ready for TS5 if it's a complete reboot and not the usual "Bland base game, put up with unfixed bugs, wait 5 years for pets, and so on." This game needs serious competition so badly.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited November 2019
    There are many things I love about TS4 but there are also a lot of things about it I really don't wish to see return in a 5th instalment. I expect a little more in this day and age - and I say that despite being able to get lost in it for hours. I don't think it should end on the spot to make room for TS5 though. I'd rather they take their time, learn from their mistakes and the feedback we and even many game changers have given them time and time again over the years. If it is on par or worse than 4 I won't make the jump, that'll be it for TS. And I don't think I'm the only one. So let's hope they heard it all, loud and clear, and make something that wows at least 80% of us, on a better engine, and that they release it only when it's actually ready to be released. ;)
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited November 2019
    Every time I wanted the iteration I was playing not to come to an end but just get better and keep going but it was not to be. I'll make Sims 4 my last one as I am tired of paying out for gaming computers to run my games better.

Sims 4 does seem to be getting better so I'll stick with it. I play slow so there's lots I haven't got round to yet.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

Well, we all know what happens at the start of a release if anything bad is said about a new pack. People get banned. :)

The criticisms will come though the farther away after the release date. Just wait for it.

• Options
    Well we know it won't be too soon - no matter what - we have the new community pack coming - the last one took over a year or year and a half - and a regular pack or two as well, so either way a few more years....

In dreams - I LIVE!