Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should TS4 come to an end and make place for TS5?

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I don't share most of the same complaints of some of the people who are unhappy with TS4. By that, I mean, sure, I'd been willing to see more reactiveness in certain situations from Sims but I really like being able to have a more open-ended sandbox and I've set up my game so that I have story progression when I want it.

Sure, I liked the color wheel and I played with the open world. I had a good time with TS3 but I'm also having a good time in TS4 with a different playstyle. I prefer the TS4 art style and I find the worlds to be pretty immersive.

I'm not in the hurry to switch to a different playstyle such as one centered around a single sim where everything else is story progression around that one sim.

I do figure that TS5 will happen at some point and it'll depend on whether I have the computer for it and whether the specific content interests me. Maybe I'll go to it, maybe I won't. Maybe I'll wait until some packs come out and then join in which is my usual style.

For now, I'm still interested in this game and I think it can be a lot of fun. I share some criticisms with others about bug fixes, adding more hobbies, adding new adventurous play (some of which has been happening recently), overhauling romance, adding memories (ideally as a patch), allowing more traits and adding better reactions. Sure, I'd like to see some stronger personalities though I actually also think that is happening.

I do not have a problem with having some happy sims in happy moods whose lives go pretty well, though I do throw some chaos in there periodically.

I don't feel the need to impose my playstyle on others but at the same time, I also don't want to lose my sandbox.

If they end this shortly after university, I'll honestly stick with the game I have and take a break. I don't need to buy Seasons and Pets again soon. I want new content and I don't think starting all over right now is the way to do that.

I have a fast computer and I'm not bothered by the loading screens. There are certain bugs that annoy me a bit but mostly, I have a good time and my game is getting more fun. I just need some "wow factor" content to make it really fun.
    No matter how short a loading screen will be, it will never solve the issue I have with it. Because it’s not time that bugs me (I actually love how my sims in TS3 have to travel everywhere, for me that’s part of the immersion), it’s the unwelcome side effects. A sim arriving in a completely different envirionment within two sim minutes..., how!? Or the way I can only control family members I follow and not the ones elsewhere for instance. Playing a household, leaving some to their own devices with a couple of things to do first and following just one to control is so much fun and delivers so many unexpected surprises. Sims I care about and want to control, hanging at the other end of a loading screen doing absolutely nothing while the clock ticks, for me that’s the problem.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    thecatsred wrote: »
    My only hope is that they take all the issues with Sims4 and iron them out for Sims5 to make Sims5 have more depth and challenge where needed (everywhere). Base game Sims5 should feel like a Full, Complete GAME.

Focus should be lifted off Young Adult sims and refocused on ALL ages. The game should have the same level of depth that Sims2 and Sims3 had. The sims should focus on PERSONALITY over EMOTIONS. Emotions are short-term situational feelings, whereas Personality is something that will drive a sim for their entire life. Wants, Fears, Memories, Whims, Likes/Dislikes, etc all need to be Present and have a Purpose.

I also strongly believe that the devs should NOT cater to those with poor, outdated computers. It only holds the rest of us back in terms of the core strength of the game - how many sims to a family, the size of neighborhoods, open world?, customization options, graphic options, sims in-world or on a lot, etc. If I want to overload my game because my computer can handle it, that SHOULD be an option. Right now I'm forced to conform to the same standards as those playing on 7 year old laptops.

I totally agree with you. I think they should take all the time they need and make sims5 amazing, not hurried. Truthfully I don't like sims4 and can't wait for it to end, but I don't have another outlet for my stories. But if it takes a few years to do sims5 right, I'm good with that.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I don't share most of the same complaints of some of the people who are unhappy with TS4. By that, I mean, sure, I'd been willing to see more reactiveness in certain situations from Sims but I really like being able to have a more open-ended sandbox and I've set up my game so that I have story progression when I want it.

Sure, I liked the color wheel and I played with the open world. I had a good time with TS3 but I'm also having a good time in TS4 with a different playstyle. I prefer the TS4 art style and I find the worlds to be pretty immersive.

I'm not in the hurry to switch to a different playstyle such as one centered around a single sim where everything else is story progression around that one sim.

I do figure that TS5 will happen at some point and it'll depend on whether I have the computer for it and whether the specific content interests me. Maybe I'll go to it, maybe I won't. Maybe I'll wait until some packs come out and then join in which is my usual style.

For now, I'm still interested in this game and I think it can be a lot of fun. I share some criticisms with others about bug fixes, adding more hobbies, adding new adventurous play (some of which has been happening recently), overhauling romance, adding memories (ideally as a patch), allowing more traits and adding better reactions. Sure, I'd like to see some stronger personalities though I actually also think that is happening.

I do not have a problem with having some happy sims in happy moods whose lives go pretty well, though I do throw some chaos in there periodically.

I don't feel the need to impose my playstyle on others but at the same time, I also don't want to lose my sandbox.

If they end this shortly after university, I'll honestly stick with the game I have and take a break. I don't need to buy Seasons and Pets again soon. I want new content and I don't think starting all over right now is the way to do that.

I have a fast computer and I'm not bothered by the loading screens. There are certain bugs that annoy me a bit but mostly, I have a good time and my game is getting more fun. I just need some "wow factor" content to make it really fun.
    No matter how short a loading screen will be, it will never solve the issue I have with it. Because it’s not time that bugs me (I actually love how my sims in TS3 have to travel everywhere, for me that’s part of the immersion), it’s the unwelcome side effects. A sim arriving in a completely different envirionment within two sim minutes..., how!? Or the way I can only control family members I follow and not the ones elsewhere for instance. Playing a household, leaving some to their own devices with a couple of things to do first and following just one to control is so much fun and delivers so many unexpected surprises. Sims I care about and want to control, hanging at the other end of a loading screen doing absolutely nothing while the clock ticks, for me that’s the problem.

My problem with it is that it creates a gameplay interruption. As a result, I’m glued to my lot and never really want to go out, especially if other lots don’t truly feel unique.

For instance, being able to quickly have my Sim run down to the gym to work out and then come back home is really nice. And experimenting with various fishing spots around town without bumping into 4 loading screens makes me want to actually level up the skill.

I don’t necessarily need an open world like TS3 (as much as I would love to see a flawless upgraded version of it). However, I do think TS4’s model is a bit outdated. At the very least, entire neighborhoods should have been opened.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Well EA owns the domain through Sims 10 - they bought it in 2002 and pay for it every year. Don't suspect the Sims is going anywhere in our lifetimes. But those records are public accessible and nothing new. Even with all the griping the games sells as well if not better than it ever did - so not likely to end no matter what. I think it helps their bottom line that EA caters to younger people as they are always going to be younger people waiting in the wings to be enticed into the fold. The gripers do not really phase them at all from what I can see - they just think we are all pining for the earlier Sims game too much to see how good this one is. If you read the post - well it does really look like that if you think about it.

I noticed the kids nowadays are not all that impressed with Sims 2 as many of us still are. Seeing that game was made before most of them were born, I can see why they disagree with the older players. I really wouldn't have realized what I've seen in a few posts until my neighbors kids remarked about my Sims two game I had on my pc - about the way the kids were playing. My neighbors kids are 8 and 10 and they really had no idea what my Sims 2 kids were playing (they were playing Marymack first and I think tag and MyShuno later) and of course neither game kid had cell phones. These kids thought that weird.
    On Twitch, I've noticed the opposite. Many viewers of all ages are interested to see all the things the Sims 2 offer and impressed at how the artstyle is so similar to the Sims 4. Sims 2 does have cell phones and one of the first games to introduce them and the MP3 players and handheld game system and console system for Sims to use. I've noticed a lot of Game Changers that still stream Sims 2 and 3. Not too many play the first Sims game of course because impossible to play on Windows 10 without some illegal means. I guess it is all a matter of perspective, but according to polls even on forums most Simmers started on the first game. I think customer retention is just as important to business as gaining new customers. Obviously there would have never been a Sims 4 if previous iterations weren't sold and funded the project. Sims 3 and Sims Freeplay and Sims Mobile are still making quite the profit too, so Sims 4 alone won't fund the future for the series. If anything the Sims games as a whole are funding other EA games that have ended up in financial failure like Titanfall as financial records and conference calls have confirmed.

However after reading this provided by someone who had worked at EA and hearing how bad it was working for EA in the past, it does question at what cost do the gaming companies have to go to sell their games? Makes me wonder that even pushing Sims 4 packs out faster than any Sims 2 and Sims 3 pack is harming the Gurus more than it is helping them. It would sadden me to know if crunch is still happening and learning that gaming industry isn't even unionized from friends in the industry horrifies me. This was from a spouse of a Sims 2 employee:
    https://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html So I do think it is understandable for customers to be wary if life simulation games should only remain in EA's hands or be opened up to other companies too. I do think some of these new customers will drop the Sims 4 when it is done like mentioned in posts above. That is why customer retention is so important because if there is a Sims 10, then there needs to be customers still around to see it instead of dropping a game once it is finished with an iteration. I do have a feeling that old customers will return for the Sims 5 to fill the void of some of the new customers who leave with the end of the Sims 4. But I do know how hard it is to think of the future when time may not permit it. It is a hard reality to accept that the community may change again with a new iteration, but such is the life of the franchise and I do hope that I am still around if the Sims 10 does come in my lifetime. I guess that is why people say the only thing constant in life is change. Something I've had to learn being uprooted from where I was born and meeting a whole new group of people with established history. I know it's not easy entering this community as a new Simmer whether they started with the first game or not. I just hope that those that do decide to, stick around for the future.

I too have noticed many of the younger generation enjoying the sims 2. My nephew who is almost fifteen tried the sims 4 for the first time. He didn’t enjoy it, he called it boring as there was no consequence for his actions. He then played the sims 2 and loved it because there was consequences. Even his little sister who is eleven prefers the sims 3 over the sims 4.

That was an interesting read about working conditions. My Husband is a game developer, not for EA but for another AAA studio and much of what was written in that blog post I could have written myself. It is long hours and in my Husband’s case, sometimes a lot of travel. But I’m pretty sure Grant said they don’t really do crunch with the sims 4, I’m positive he said that’s one of the reasons the game is successful or words to that effect.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2019

I too have noticed many of the younger generation enjoying the sims 2. My nephew who is almost fifteen tried the sims 4 for the first time. He didn’t enjoy it, he called it boring as there was no consequence for his actions. He then played the sims 2 and loved it because there was consequences. Even his little sister who is eleven prefers the sims 3 over the sims 4.

That was an interesting read about working conditions. My Husband is a game developer, not for EA but for another AAA studio and much of what was written in that blog post I could have written myself. It is long hours and in my Husband’s case, sometimes a lot of travel. But I’m pretty sure Grant said they don’t really do crunch with the sims 4, I’m positive he said that’s one of the reasons the game is successful or words to that effect.
    Awe that is cute the next generation are enjoying those games. Sorry your husband has to deal with a lot. I hope so. Crunch time making games always worries me. Hard enough dealing with it with the financial industry. I keep looking for jobs so I don't have to put that 60 to 80 hours a week doing accounting and taxes a week, so looking towards the more public sector than the private which is known not to follow equal opportunity rules and state regulations.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    Well EA owns the domain through Sims 10 - they bought it in 2002 and pay for it every year. Don't suspect the Sims is going anywhere in our lifetimes. But those records are public accessible and nothing new. Even with all the griping the games sells as well if not better than it ever did - so not likely to end no matter what. I think it helps their bottom line that EA caters to younger people as they are always going to be younger people waiting in the wings to be enticed into the fold. The gripers do not really phase them at all from what I can see - they just think we are all pining for the earlier Sims game too much to see how good this one is. If you read the post - well it does really look like that if you think about it.

I noticed the kids nowadays are not all that impressed with Sims 2 as many of us still are. Seeing that game was made before most of them were born, I can see why they disagree with the older players. I really wouldn't have realized what I've seen in a few posts until my neighbors kids remarked about my Sims two game I had on my pc - about the way the kids were playing. My neighbors kids are 8 and 10 and they really had no idea what my Sims 2 kids were playing (they were playing Marymack first and I think tag and MyShuno later) and of course neither game kid had cell phones. These kids thought that weird.
    On Twitch, I've noticed the opposite. Many viewers of all ages are interested to see all the things the Sims 2 offer and impressed at how the artstyle is so similar to the Sims 4. Sims 2 does have cell phones and one of the first games to introduce them and the MP3 players and handheld game system and console system for Sims to use. I've noticed a lot of Game Changers that still stream Sims 2 and 3. Not too many play the first Sims game of course because impossible to play on Windows 10 without some illegal means. I guess it is all a matter of perspective, but according to polls even on forums most Simmers started on the first game. I think customer retention is just as important to business as gaining new customers. Obviously there would have never been a Sims 4 if previous iterations weren't sold and funded the project. Sims 3 and Sims Freeplay and Sims Mobile are still making quite the profit too, so Sims 4 alone won't fund the future for the series. If anything the Sims games as a whole are funding other EA games that have ended up in financial failure like Titanfall as financial records and conference calls have confirmed.

However after reading this provided by someone who had worked at EA and hearing how bad it was working for EA in the past, it does question at what cost do the gaming companies have to go to sell their games? Makes me wonder that even pushing Sims 4 packs out faster than any Sims 2 and Sims 3 pack is harming the Gurus more than it is helping them. It would sadden me to know if crunch is still happening and learning that gaming industry isn't even unionized from friends in the industry horrifies me. This was from a spouse of a Sims 2 employee:
    https://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html So I do think it is understandable for customers to be wary if life simulation games should only remain in EA's hands or be opened up to other companies too. I do think some of these new customers will drop the Sims 4 when it is done like mentioned in posts above. That is why customer retention is so important because if there is a Sims 10, then there needs to be customers still around to see it instead of dropping a game once it is finished with an iteration. I do have a feeling that old customers will return for the Sims 5 to fill the void of some of the new customers who leave with the end of the Sims 4. But I do know how hard it is to think of the future when time may not permit it. It is a hard reality to accept that the community may change again with a new iteration, but such is the life of the franchise and I do hope that I am still around if the Sims 10 does come in my lifetime. I guess that is why people say the only thing constant in life is change. Something I've had to learn being uprooted from where I was born and meeting a whole new group of people with established history. I know it's not easy entering this community as a new Simmer whether they started with the first game or not. I just hope that those that do decide to, stick around for the future.

I did not say there were no cell phones in Sims 2 they came with Uni town in kiosks - but what I did say was these boys saw my sims kids with no cell phones and thought it was nuts. Keep in mind this is an 8 year old and 10 year old neighbor of mine who dropped in on me to just say hi and see how I was doing - they saw the sims 2 on my pc and asked about the game and I showed them some of it. I never told them the game had cell phones - but they asked why didn't my kids call their mom on their phones to see if dinner was ready and I said the kids didn't have phones - and even if they had they could not have called their mom to ask about dinner. We never got back to the issue of the phones though - as they were asking questions about everything faster than I could explain. They asked a lot of question about why Sims 4 had things this game didn't -( that really surprised me) like the vamps we have and the new spellcasters. They asked a lot of things some of which Sims 2 did have but these kids seem to like Sims 4's style better. I was surprised actually as people here always say the opposite - as you can see people are doing that right here, right now. These were live kids standing next to me looking at my pc and game - not kids making a rant on YOUtube or twitter - but kids seriously curious why I was playing the old version that day instead of the new one.

They didn't hate the game and I even found a few things they like, like kite flying and jump rope, having their dog not run away they liked better. They liked the toy making machine and my sim that was a super hero and flew off to work. They loved all the video games and playing in the park when friends showed up better than playing in Sims 4 parks. They liked the fact the kids played games in the park and did things together - the older boy says Sims 4 has it wrong - that kids do not sit around and just talk as much as they do in Sims 4 - they play. I told them I have always felt like that too.

But things like memories and more lots to build on, cars to build, things like that did not impress them - the older boy said he would skip all that stuff and he did not understand what good any of that was. He did like having burglars and police and fire departments - so yes some things many said here he could see but definitely not everything. He also liked school buses and taxis as those are things he was used to. They moved here from the city - so having cars is new to them. They still have school buses here so not having them in the game is weird to the older boy in particular.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options

I did not say there were no cell phones in Sims 2 they came with Uni town in kiosks - but what I did say was these boys saw my sims kids with no cell phones and thought it was nuts. Keep in mind this is an 8 year old and 10 year old neighbor of mine who dropped in on me to just say hi and see how I was doing - they saw the sims 2 on my pc and asked about the game and I showed them some of it. I never told them the game had cell phones - but they asked why didn't my kids call their mom on their phones to see if dinner was ready and I said the kids didn't have phones - and even if they had they could not have called their mom to ask about dinner. We never got back to the issue of the phones though - as they were asking questions about everything faster than I could explain. They asked a lot of question about why Sims 4 had things this game didn't -( that really surprised me) like the vamps we have and the new spellcasters. They asked a lot of things some of which Sims 2 did have but these kids seem to like Sims 4's style better. I was surprised actually as people here always say the opposite - as you can see people are doing that right here, right now. These were live kids standing next to me looking at my pc and game - not kids making a rant on YOUtube or twitter - but kids seriously curious why I was playing the old version that day instead of the new one.

They didn't hate the game and I even found a few things they like, like kite flying and jump rope, having their dog not run away they liked better. They liked the toy making machine and my sim that was a super hero and flew off to work. They loved all the video games and playing in the park when friends showed up better than playing in Sims 4 parks. They liked the fact the kids played games in the park and did things together - the older boy says Sims 4 has it wrong - that kids do not sit around and just talk as much as they do in Sims 4 - they play. I told them I have always felt like that too.

But things like memories and more lots to build on, cars to build, things like that did not impress them - the older boy said he would skip all that stuff and he did not understand what good any of that was. He did like having burglars and police and fire departments - so yes some things many said here he could see but definitely not everything. He also liked school buses and taxis as those are things he was used to. They moved here from the city - so having cars is new to them. They still have school buses here so not having them in the game is weird to the older boy in particular.
    That is so interesting and thanks for sharing that experience. Fun what little kids say about the game. I am not going to allow my nephew to play until he is 13. He has to focus on his school work anyways right now. Kite flying and jump rope are fun. I loved the toy making machine too. LOL true about kids how they are represented in the game. They do play more. I guess it will show even the next generation of Simmers will play their games differently but it does vary from person to person. I had an interesting discussion today about generalization of generations. Like according to Millennials which I am apart of it is also called the Generation Me by Psychologist Jean Twenge that wrote the book Generation Me: Why Today’s Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled – and More Miserable Than Ever Before. She refers to the Generation X as Generation Me too.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Then sociologist Kathleen Shaputis labeled my generation the Boomerang or Peter Pan Generation because of living with parents and taking longer to grow up. Also says, "Millennials are the most highly educated and culturally diverse group of all generations, and have been regarded as hard to please when it comes to employers." So interesting seeing a few of the generations echoed in the Sims community, but yes I agree with the beginning of the reference, "The characteristics of millennials vary by region and by individual, and the group experiences a variety of social and economic conditions". I know because I am so different from generalization makes it often hard to understand people my age in the Sims community and vice versa. Some like to follow the crowds and sadly it often leads to generalization of generations. But my friend and I agreed there is a Generation Me person in every generation. Was interesting relating our experiences on Twitch with her chat.

I don't know why kids and Sims don't play more. Probably doesn't help with all these generalizations that my generation and younger only thinks about themselves, so there is no need for group activities. I really hope that Gurus go beyond the generalizations and offer game play that Simmers can enjoy more than a single YA Sim that just like to talk and do nothing else. Hard to tell what the future holds for the Sims and how it will grow when the Sims 4 does come to an end. I do know I don't want it rushed and I don't want another online attempt done to ruin the base game again like the Sims 4 had been switching from online to offline. I hope when the time does come for the Sims 5, time is taken to make the engine more modern, use more modern technology, and hopefully not repeat the mistakes that all the Sims games have made in the past. Might be wishful thinking having high hopes for the future, but knowing how much I still hate horror games, I do like seeing simulation games progress over time. I like how Sims does creepy without giving me jump scares even though Sims 1 burglars still do to this day. It would be neat to see more NPCs return.

I'm glad those kids are keeping you amused too and checking out your game. Fun experiencing things with people.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Number one Sims 5 would have needed being built over the last 4 or so years and it has not - so until they have a Sims 5 ready to go Sims 4 will continue. They never just stop the present one until the new one is within months of being ready. No one wants a Sims game that has not been built on for 4 or more years - we saw what thaT WAS LIKE.

I also believe the next rendition will not be ready to use until EA has completed the project they have already put 7 years into for the future of all EA games and last i had heard that is not set to reach that stage for another few years yet. I do not believe they would make a Sims 5 usable until they have completed that project as they have a lot of (a thousand) people working on it for a long time - and I feel until it is ready we wait.

It really does not matter what I think or want - anyway - I am losing my health battle anyway - but I do have to look at it logically and what EA itself says about the future of ALL their games and the system they have put so much time and money into that is still being worked on as we speak. It's all their triple AAA games not just the Sims - keep that in mind.

I'm sorry your not doing well as for the sims are any thing else none of us really know whats gonna happen
    I wish you well @Writin_Reg and I hope your health turns around

Thank you - but looking real bad for me. I was so hoping to see Uni but not looking good. On a good note I brought 5 former simmers who are now nurses at the hospital back to the sim during my time at the hospital this week. Showed them how easy it is to get back in Simming and all about Sims 3 and 4. All 5 hadn't played since Sims 2 and did not know they were still around or had a mobile version. Now they do. LOL.

Very sorry to hear you are not doing well. You have been Simming longer than I have, and you have always been a valued member of this community. I send prayers, and support to you and your family during this health challenge. <3
  • Options
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    Number one Sims 5 would have needed being built over the last 4 or so years and it has not - so until they have a Sims 5 ready to go Sims 4 will continue. They never just stop the present one until the new one is within months of being ready. No one wants a Sims game that has not been built on for 4 or more years - we saw what thaT WAS LIKE.

I also believe the next rendition will not be ready to use until EA has completed the project they have already put 7 years into for the future of all EA games and last i had heard that is not set to reach that stage for another few years yet. I do not believe they would make a Sims 5 usable until they have completed that project as they have a lot of (a thousand) people working on it for a long time - and I feel until it is ready we wait.

It really does not matter what I think or want - anyway - I am losing my health battle anyway - but I do have to look at it logically and what EA itself says about the future of ALL their games and the system they have put so much time and money into that is still being worked on as we speak. It's all their triple AAA games not just the Sims - keep that in mind.

I'm sorry your not doing well as for the sims are any thing else none of us really know whats gonna happen
    I wish you well @Writin_Reg and I hope your health turns around

Thank you - but looking real bad for me. I was so hoping to see Uni but not looking good. On a good note I brought 5 former simmers who are now nurses at the hospital back to the sim during my time at the hospital this week. Showed them how easy it is to get back in Simming and all about Sims 3 and 4. All 5 hadn't played since Sims 2 and did not know they were still around or had a mobile version. Now they do. LOL.

Very sorry to hear you are not doing well. You have been Simming longer than I have, and you have always been a valued member of this community. I send prayers, and support to you and your family during this health challenge. <3

Thank you - I very much appreciate it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited October 2019

That is so interesting and thanks for sharing that experience. Fun what little kids say about the game. I am not going to allow my nephew to play until he is 13. He has to focus on his school work anyways right now. Kite flying and jump rope are fun. I loved the toy making machine too. LOL true about kids how they are represented in the game. They do play more. I guess it will show even the next generation of Simmers will play their games differently but it does vary from person to person. I had an interesting discussion today about generalization of generations. Like according to Millennials which I am apart of it is also called the Generation Me by Psychologist Jean Twenge that wrote the book Generation Me: Why Today’s Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled – and More Miserable Than Ever Before. She refers to the Generation X as Generation Me too.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Then sociologist Kathleen Shaputis labeled my generation the Boomerang or Peter Pan Generation because of living with parents and taking longer to grow up. Also says, "Millennials are the most highly educated and culturally diverse group of all generations, and have been regarded as hard to please when it comes to employers." So interesting seeing a few of the generations echoed in the Sims community, but yes I agree with the beginning of the reference, "The characteristics of millennials vary by region and by individual, and the group experiences a variety of social and economic conditions". I know because I am so different from generalization makes it often hard to understand people my age in the Sims community and vice versa. Some like to follow the crowds and sadly it often leads to generalization of generations. But my friend and I agreed there is a Generation Me person in every generation. Was interesting relating our experiences on Twitch with her chat.

I don't know why kids and Sims don't play more. Probably doesn't help with all these generalizations that my generation and younger only thinks about themselves, so there is no need for group activities. I really hope that Gurus go beyond the generalizations and offer game play that Simmers can enjoy more than a single YA Sim that just like to talk and do nothing else. Hard to tell what the future holds for the Sims and how it will grow when the Sims 4 does come to an end. I do know I don't want it rushed and I don't want another online attempt done to ruin the base game again like the Sims 4 had been switching from online to offline. I hope when the time does come for the Sims 5, time is taken to make the engine more modern, use more modern technology, and hopefully not repeat the mistakes that all the Sims games have made in the past. Might be wishful thinking having high hopes for the future, but knowing how much I still hate horror games, I do like seeing simulation games progress over time. I like how Sims does creepy without giving me jump scares even though Sims 1 burglars still do to this day. It would be neat to see more NPCs return.

I'm glad those kids are keeping you amused too and checking out your game. Fun experiencing things with people.

The Sims 4 is their first Sims game. I told them next time they come by I will load up my Sims 3 and let them check that out - and how it too is very different in many ways then Sims 2 or 4 is. I did not tell them about the open world - so I can surprise them and see what they think. Besides I think it would be hard to explain to the 8 year old without seeing it first. I do bet they will like cars a lot more in Sims 3 and should get a kick out of motorcycles as their dad has one. So I look forward to the next visit as it is fun to share the games with people of all ages that have never seen them all. They are sweet boys and very smart for their ages. The older boy only got the Sims 4 for his birthday back in the Spring - so they are still pretty new to it. He does most of the playing and his younger brother sort of sits there and suggest things to do. It's cute how they play really. I understand mom helps when she can but she also has a newborn and works too.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

The Sims 4 is their first Sims game. I told them next time they come by I will load up my Sims 3 and let them check that out - and how it too is very different in many ways then Sims 2 or 4 is. I did not tell them about the open world - so I can surprise them and see what they think. Besides I think it would be hard to explain to the 8 year old without seeing it first. I do bet they will like cars a lot more in Sims 3 and should get a kick out of motorcycles as their dad has one. So I look forward to the next visit as it is fun to share the games with people of all ages that have never seen them all. They are sweet boys and very smart for their ages. The older boy only got the Sims 4 for his birthday back in the Spring - so they are still pretty new to it. He does most of the playing and his younger brother sort of sits there and suggest things to do. It's cute how they play really. I understand mom helps when she can but she also has a newborn and works too.
    That is so sweet. <3 I hope you share with them the fun jelly bean tree too. That was always one of my favorite parts about the Sims 3 was that silly tree. I'm curious what they will think about the imaginary friend too. Sounds like a really nice family and glad you are sharing your passion with them.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    @JoAnne65 - I'm definitely not going to bash TS3. I remember really not wanting to switch from TS2 but when I did, I enjoyed it. Sunset Valley is probably one of the best sims worlds in the series.

It sounds like the style favored by TS3 is just a different playstyle. It favors having one or several sims that are the focus of attention while the rest of the world goes on around them. I remember being disappointed when I couldn't follow a sibling when she moved out whereas I could with TS2. It was disappointing to have to pick a favorite child to be the heir. I know a lot of people like to do that, but not everyone.

I rebooted the game about 3 times and always had a good time other than when the bugs got out of control. By bugs, I mean game-breaking stuff. For example, all of the bartenders disappeared in my game and all the community venues became empty. It became impossible to send my famous sim out to bars at one point so I quit the game for a while.

I'm definitely not without criticisms of TS4 but it's great for rotational play and for sandbox play. I say that though I also think it needs more "to happen" which is what I'm hoping to see. I also agree that some of the packs have been a little disappointing but not all of them.

I think there are just a lot of different playstyles and the challenge for the developers is to make a game that appeals to all of them. I do think they cater a little heavily to the very young audiences right now which is one of the sources of complaints.

For my own playstyle, I never make a simself ever because that would weird me out. My life is happy enough. I like developing my own characters and seeing what happens to them in a bunch of different settings. I like to come up with their back stories and then get surprised by what they do. Yes, I think they need more hobbies, better reactions, more romantic chemistry that is more selective and more surprise aspects though I also think they are trying.

They aren't going to change having a loading screen when you walk in a door but at least you can walk in that door a lot. (Yes, I'd love it if they were to expand how many doors you can open).

I'm sure I'd like a well-performing open world especially if it still had the open sandbox and easy ways to play rotationally. I'm also ok with story progression for unplayed households though as someone else said, it can put limits on what then happens. I also think there are some cool mods out there and while I don't play with them, they are kind of as much a part of the game as anything.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2019
    @ChampandGirlie Yes, Sims 3 doesn’t really cater rotational players. The franchise is 20 years old and with 4 different versions it’s logical different playing styles were catered and players developed their own preferences. I actually tried Sims 1 in 2001 but quit. Sims 3 for me was the game where it all fell into place. For others that will be Sims 2, for others Sims 4, the lucky ones find something in all of them (though I think we will all have our favourite).

It would be amazing if they’d cater both open world (or neighborhood) fans and rotational players next time. I wouldn’t mind different neighborhoods seperated by loading screens, as long as they’d be much larger than they are in Sims 4, if those neighborhoods would work like a Sims 3 open world (with roads and travelling and houses the way they work in 3 and buildings for rabbitholes) and - very véry important, this is why I reacted - all sims in your household being controllable in some way at all times.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Sims 5 is already being worked on but I'm not ready for Sims 4 to end yet as it's still missing too many features,objects and animations.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    The 20th anniversary of The Sims (which is next year) would be the perfect time to announce the next base game.

I really think The Sims 4 has run its course. With that said, I don’t think The Sims 5 will automatically solve all of this franchise’s problems, especially if it’s going to be made by the same people with the same mindset. I’m just incredibly unimpressed with how things are going right now though. The Sims 4 has made me go from preordering every pack for years to skipping out purchasing packs altogether. I didn’t think a Sims game would manage that.

Exactly, like I said in another thread, what a shame to waste such a technology we have today to just make the bare minimum. Will Wright would have done something amazing with everything we have nowadays.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2019
    Sims 5 is already being worked on but I'm not ready for Sims 4 to end yet as it's still missing too many features,objects and animations.

I can understand that. However, the problem for me is in five years (if it last that long) it will still be missing too many features, objects and animations. I think this merry-go-round is set in the twilight zone. It's never going to be 'full' no matter how many years it continues. It's like my dad always said, there is a stopping place. And I am ready to get off the ride but the ticket operator won't stop the merry-go-round. ;)
  • Options
    MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    edited November 2019
    I don't believe, but I'm not an expert, that they can had to this game for more then two years. I'm on i5 4th generation, ASUS mother board, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphic card, which is an average not too bad machine I think, with all the DLCs added and my game has started to lag a bit lately. If they don't come up with good fixes for the bugs and fleshed out gameplay features or free adds to what is alreaddy offered but shallow in the game, I guess they'll end up having to rush the Sims 5 in to keep the players interest. And for me that means heading up towards the Sims 5 and rolling into the same troubles again.

There are some good features in the Sims 4, the CAS, the Build mode, the Household management, I just hope for the bugs fixes at this point. With University comming, I guess I will have to satisfy myself with this.

At this point, really, Sims 5 is no no for me. I'll go on playing Sims 4 as long as I can, and may be Sims 5, if, and only if they make it right for me.

Edit: for orthographic corrections.
    Post edited by Melpomena on
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    There's a lot of stuff I feel TS4 needs that TS3 had. Unfortunately, the mechanics and engine of TS4 are very limiting. In part, I feel those things simply need to just be added to what will become TS5. But, will the new game possibly miss the mark even worse than TS4? In other words, again, even being more stripped without the purchase of DLC/Packs and possibly dependent on an online connection? I hope not.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    cody6268 wrote: »
    There's a lot of stuff I feel TS4 needs that TS3 had. Unfortunately, the mechanics and engine of TS4 are very limiting. In part, I feel those things simply need to just be added to what will become TS5. But, will the new game possibly miss the mark even worse than TS4? In other words, again, even being more stripped without the purchase of DLC/Packs and possibly dependent on an online connection? I hope not.

Heck, there are things in TS2 that TS4 is still missing. Slow dancing, non-object play for Children, werewolves (yeah, I'll keep harping on that), cars, burglars, firefighters...TS4 has a lot of holes. Now, if they could just get that frog DNA to fill in the holes and complete the code...(A pretend candy bar to all who get that reference.)
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    cody6268 wrote: »

Heck, there are things in TS2 that TS4 is still missing. Slow dancing, non-object play for Children, werewolves (yeah, I'll keep harping on that), cars, burglars, firefighters...TS4 has a lot of holes. Now, if they could just get that frog DNA to fill in the holes and complete the code...(A pretend candy bar to all who get that reference.)

lol, that's a good one.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited November 2019

Stay strong. Stay with us. <3
    I don't think she knows how much I'll miss her or others will miss her in the Sims community. She plays a very pivotal role in the Sims community with her wisdom about the Sims and how it has impacted others in improving their lives. I hope that university comes by next month too for Writin_Reg. I love hearing stories on how people introduce Sims to more people.

Yeah... how about we not speak like she isn’t right here. @Writin_Reg, I just lost my dad to cancer, pretty much ravaged him (stop smoking people) as it was masked by arthritis, my heart is with you and your family in this time. I do not know the specifics for you, I know it is not good, but you seem like a real strong lady, I wish you all the love and strength you can manage.

On topic, I do not care for Sims 5. I will no longer be supporting EA or Maxis, period. They killed it for me. I’m waiting for Paralives, or nothing at all. As far as I’m concerned TS4 is the end for me.

A good game is only half of the problem, when you have a company like EAxis it is also about the passion, the service, the effort they put into it. They don’t have that anymore. They don’t even visit here, the official place for the game, yet I remember a time I was able to directly message a Guru and actually get a response in a few minutes.

I was waiting for a magic pack, which we got, and now I’m bored again. So I’m done. 5 years is too long to now be expecting them to fix anything. They won’t.

—T
    Post edited by To7m on
  • Options
    hotshocolatehotshocolate Posts: 15 Member
    This is my personal opinion - I really wish they would finish up TS4 and make space for 5, although it might already be in the works. it takes a good few years to develop a new game from scratch. my all time favorite game was TS2, and then TS3 (even though it had its problems). Sims 4 was just a disappointment to me from the get-go. I tried to love it. I really tried to convince myself it was great. But it is lacking in a few areas. Minimal gameplay, empty sims, bugs etc. I have a few reasons why i dont enjoy it but that would be an essay. I barely play sims anymore because of this. I am happy for people who do enjoy sims 4 though, I really wish I could enjoy it too. I cannot play without mods and even with mods i'm still bored. I do believe that with all of the feedback from TS4, if they do make sims 5, there is great potential for it to be a huge comeback for the franchise if they take into account everything players have said about sims 4 and improve on the areas that are the most criticized. As sims 4 just lost me, I really hope sims 5 will bring me back to being in love with the game again. the things that prevent me from enjoying the sims 4 unfortunately i dont see being fixed with other packs. i hope that i am proved wrong though and that future sims 4 packs are epic, but i've been waiting for that to happen for years now and the releases are still lacking to me.
  • Options
    If there is a TS5 I wonder if it will include any of the older OSes this time or be built just for Windows 10 this time. The reason I ask this is because when they started it (if true) then they knew MS was ending support for W7 and not going to support W8 forever either. But knowing that I wonder if they still made a game that says yes, you can play this on an old OS. (Like they did for TS4 and it even includes XP :o )
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Win7 support (extended support, that is) completely ends early next year, so I doubt that will be supported. As for Win8, I think that depends on when TS5 comes out. Regular support already ended, extended (aka security patches) will go until 2023.
    XP was honestly an outlier because of how many people were still on it. Many still are, because it runs a lot of software used in various industries (medical at the very least). & XP's main support ended only a year before Win7, extended one stretched until earlier this year.

I'd say chances are pretty high that it'll be Win10/whatever comes next.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on