Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Homeless Sim Abandons Child to Active Household

@Karritz and @TroyTalks - The talk of Babysitters taking babies (in this thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/966726/the-sims-3-babysitters-yay-or-nay-lets-vote#latest) reminded me of an incident which happened a long time ago in my game, which I happened to get screenshots of. I had to dig around, but I found them. This is not a new event. It happened back in 2017 while I was training my Sim, Mason to be an athlete. It shows how easy it is for a Townie Sim to steal your kids when your Sim is otherwise distracted. In my case, things took a different turn when I had my Sim intervene.

Here's What Happened:

It must have been 'Toddler Night' at the stadium because it seemed all the fans had their children in tow. While Mason was talking to Clair Ursine, his brother was socializing with a total stranger. The man had his son with him whom he sat down so he and Joachim could chat. Boyd Wainwright was reading his book and not trying to talk to anyone. Unexpectedly, Boyd decided to just pick up the Sim's toddler and just began to walking away with him.
069oq31qwna17526g.jpg

I had my Sim end his conversation abruptly to stop Boyd from leaving the lot with the child. Joachim introduced himself and began talking with Boyd. I racked up things for Joachim to talk about to give the boy's father time to get to him. Imagine my surprise when he just walked right past his son and off the lot.
wpkjxtf5ynphdtx6g.jpg

He got into his car, giving his kid a backwards glance, the Sim drove off!
elbjukrpmcsjheu6g.jpg

I stopped Joachim from talking with Boyd in an effort to get him to stop that car from leaving the area. But was too slow. Boyd was gone as soon as Joachim stopped talking with him and Mason's conversations had all ended. Mason arrived just in time to see the tail lights of the car disappear around the bend. I didn't know what to do. So I had Joachim pick up the little boy. I had them wait on that lot in hopes the man would come back for his kid. He didn't. So, I sent them home.
37d8jr631y5q1vy6g.jpg

At home as Joachim talked with Mason as I tried to figure out what to do. The kid had a first and a last name but no family which lived in town.
dwjx9tbx5dpsepv6g.jpg

It was too late to call anyone, so after doing some quick shopping for necessities, I settle the three in for the night.
t24x3xu8m70qdtp6g.jpg

In the morning, Mason fed the kid and probably thought about punching his brother for getting him into this situation. Since Joachim has spoken to the kid's father, I knew he should still be in his relationship panel. I had him call him and invite him over. He said he would come but he didn't show.

It was the toddler's mother who came for him! We had not seen her before so I had Joachim talk with her for a bit. Looking at her dialog balloon, I imagine she was telling him that her family was new to this world (which they were). Whatever she said, Joachim seemed to understand. Mason was just happy someone had come for the child.
1aebq7xwaxoohmn6g.jpg

In the end, the game moved all five of them into the single bedroom house directly across the street, making my Sims and their family literal neighbors.
o3trbqok95f3v6k6g.jpg

Comments

• NabrilNabril Posts: 179 Member
    How strange! I'm glad that you were able to see such a strange story to its completion. Thank you for sharing!
    sig.jpg
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    Cool! What a happy ending...
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    @Nabril - You're welcome. I didn't know how that event was going to play out. I'm just glad my Sim didn't have to become an adopted Dad :).

@rubyskywalker - I was really glad things worked out the way they did also.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Interesting story :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    So I read this post this morning before I started my day playing TS3. Now, 6? hours later, I have had something similar happen. I just rotated out of one family into another. The family I started playing had two babies - one 3 days old and one newborn. I didn't notice that apparently while I wasn't playing them, another of my families came for a visit with their toddler. It was around 1am and the family was exhausted. I quickly built two bedrooms with doors, moved one crib from the living room into a bedroom and bought another crib for the new baby, and put the babies to bed.

THEN I noticed that there was someone in the house with their toddler. I asked them to leave and went to bed. The toddler seemed to vanish. BUT, now the new baby's bedroom door is stuck open. I tried to delete the door but it said it was in use by the visiting toddler.

Since he is invisible, what can I do? Do I rotate out to the family the toddler belongs to? They are in the caste so in theory the toddle won't age but will he die??
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    Go into NRAAS Debug Enabler, click on the object, choose "Object..." in the menu (not "Door" for some reason), click on "Reset".
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2019
    I would recommend a Master Controller object reset of the door (MC Cheats add-on module required). The DE one should work too but it seems to crash my game more often than be helpful when it comes to doors stuck in use. Others don't seem to have this issue and use them both interchangeably.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    @Rhiannon58 - That's terrible! Please let us know if you are able to get your toddler back.

@king_of_simcity7 - It was definitely something to experience ;) . Thankfully, I haven't had another incident like that one. Since then, I have learned if someone is holding your toddler, if you make the toddler active they can ask the Sim to put them down (I forget what the actual choice is but that's the result).
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    My doors have been stuck open quite often. Doesn't a sim know better than to leave the front door open? Why, a robber could sneak in and steal our hand painted paintings... thankfully a little help from the Door Repairman, M.C Nraas, fixes it nicely!
    I mean, a reset with Master Controller from Nraas, since last I knew Sim Island didn't have Repairmen, Construction Teams, or Engineers. That'd be interesting if it did...
    Actually, I was about to make a sim based off a friend, which made me wish Engineer was a career option... I suppose it'll have to wait...
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Actually, I was about to make a sim based off a friend, which made me wish Engineer was a career option... I suppose it'll have to wait...

@rubyskywalker
    I don't see Engineer specifically here, but you might find something else:
    https://missyhissysjobcentre.wordpress.com/the-job-board/

I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Not sure what type of engineering career you might be looking for, but there's one for a mechanical engineer here: https://richardnanquil.wordpress.com/2014/05/05/the-mechanical-engineering-career-2/

I haven't tried it myself, but I like that the first level uses negative earnings so you're paying for your education.
  • thebriamonthebriamon Posts: 377 Member
    That's crazy. I don't know if I've ever had a situation like that in my own game. Usually the nraas mods I have in place seem to take care of any stranded toddlers. At least, I assume they do. I've never been stuck taking care of a random one like that.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    Sorry I'm late seeing this, but that was quite an insightful, and humorous, story to read. :grin: I had no clue Sims could steal other Sims children on community lots and... That's bothersome to me. :grimace: I'll be keeping my eyes peeled when there's toddlers at my community lots now.

Oh and I can't help saying that was one dead beat sim dad there....... :unamused:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    I just saw this for the first time now too. I haven't noticed a sim abandon a toddler in my games. I suspect the toddler would have been kicked out of town at 3 am or 5 am if it hadn't been rescued.

This makes me wonder if something similar happened to a townie family in Barnacle Bay. In my Big Game I had a sim, I think it was Bart Inkbeard but not sure. They were at boarding school that I play and when I returned him to his family I found an extra child living with them. They were all fair skinned with blonde hair and the extra child was very dark with blond hair. I took her to the boarding school so I could control her and investigate. She was the only sim in her family tree. Her family name was different. I have no idea where she came from. The household she was living with didn't really have room for her so I've kept her at the boarding school and played with her ever since. She just became a teen in the most recent episode of Oscar's Childhood - or the first episode of Oscar's Teen Years because he aged up in the same episode.

• fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    Wow that is crazy! I wish my game would take me in an adventure like this one lol.