Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your WEIRDEST source of inspiration

SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
I draw inspiration from just about anywhere when building in this game. You know, the usual, floor plan sites, real life houses, etc. but I've discovered lately that I have found inspiration from some of the weirdest things. I mean, of course I've been inspired by haunted houses videos on YouTube, but just recently I built an entire village inspired from a painting. Just when I thought it couldn't get any farther out of the box than that, two of my more recent builds were inspired by...clipart I found on Google. Yes, you read that right, clipart.

So, all of this got me thinking, am I the only one who gets inspiration from odd places? What's the weirdest source of inspiration you've drawn to create in this game? It can be for builds, Sims, or storylines. Heck, even an outfit. Let's talk about it.
Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
Post edited by SweetieWright_84 on

Comments

• HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    When creating the F-J-M House i drew inspiration from a tv series called "The Closer", there was one episode that showed the inside of this house, and i just started creating and it didn't stop until it was complete.

I also drew inspiration from my own dreams while i'm sleeping, that is when my brain is working enough i can remember it on waking up. I got this one design i want to put together, but i doubt with what i got, i can put it together with any good effect from the available build objects.

One time i drew inspiration by staring at a chicken pie i was about to devour. that is what got me started on the recent Damme Green House.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    A chicken pie? Hmm, that's interesting. Where did those two connect?
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited October 2019
    deserted houses and buildings are really rather inspirational so i take a look when i go out because there is plenty where i live

and I also like to watch loads of drama or animations so i sometimes pick up interesting ideas from rooms or backgrounds in them like "oh pretty i wonder if i can create that"

aaand sometimes i just pick a random color theme like aight this nice neighborhood will be clown town and rip sims
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    edited October 2019
    A chicken pie? Hmm, that's interesting. Where did those two connect?

The general design i wanted to look a bit rustic, with sharp lines and an even sharper flavour, but it has to be warm and nice as well, like any good pie and any good house. i didn't put that into words, but it just came like that, simple things that are in front of you, you take for granted, so i see things like that.
    @Simmingal, I agree, deserted houses are a huge source of inspiration.

@Hoverael, that makes a lot of sense. A chicken pie-even though I'm not really a huge fan of them-does have the warm, comforting, rustic feel to it.
  • MetalHeadSixMetalHeadSix Posts: 11 New Member
    I get a lot from TV and Movies.
    I get a lot from TV and Movies.

I think a lot of people do. What's the weirdest or most unconventional inspiration you've gotten from tv shows or movies?
    I think a lot of people do. What's the weirdest or most unconventional inspiration you've gotten from tv shows or movies?

Funny you should ask because one of my sims, Raina Balilovic looks a lot like Cote de Pablo who did Ziva David on NCIS. When i created that sim i didn't realise that at the time but afterwards i sort of scratched my head wondering what that was all about. inspiration through some sort of subconscious level.

GcPunqZ.png

if her jaw line can be brought out a little but i won't do that. better leave the sim as is for creative reasons.
    Hoverael wrote: »

Funny you should ask because one of my sims, Raina Balilovic looks a lot like Cote de Pablo who did Ziva David on NCIS. When i created that sim i didn't realise that at the time but afterwards i sort of scratched my head wondering what that was all about. inspiration through some sort of subconscious level.

GcPunqZ.png

if her jaw line can be brought out a little but i won't do that. better leave the sim as is for creative reasons.

I'm not too familiar with NCIS. I don't really watch a lot of cop dramas...unless they have an unusual twist to them. That being said, and after Googling, I do see the resemblance.

I can relate to not actually meaning to make a sim look like a real life person. I have accidentally made a few sims that looked like real people. My most recent was a sim that reminds me of Phylicia Rashad (a.k.a Claire Huxtable). Oddly enough, before I realized it, I named that sim Sinclaire. Like you said, it must have been a subconscious inspiration.
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    I tend to draw my inspiration from Google images, and if I were inspired by something I remember from my childhood (such as a movie I don't watch anymore), and I was creating a sim, sometimes the sim loosely resembles that character. Oh, and the Sim in my avatar loosely resembles Emma Watson. I guess when I was creating this sim, I might have been thinking about other magical girls for some reason. In the end, I have a Sim who is loosely inspired by Princess Luna, and looks a bit like Emma Watson at the same time. In the same save, there is a young redheaded boy who reminds me of a young Ron Weasley.

Google Images is such a great resource for inspiration. Even outside-the-box inspiration.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I don't know how weird it is, I tend to look at Pinterest and Tumblr a lot more now.
    My building Style is Very Rustic, Earthy, and Neogothic, Neoclassic, and Second Empire Style.

But I tend to look at my other favorite video games and Films
    - Kingdom Hearts
    - Final Fantasy
    - Legend of Zelda
    - Elder Scrolls

- Once Upon a Time
    - Teen Wolf
    - Pretty Little Liars (The first 5 Seasons)
    - Reign
    - Victoria
    - The Crown
    - The Tudors

But it's mostly me, and my life that also heavily influences my game.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    From life itself and having 20 years of the Sims to relive or take from life to direct my game and want things in my present game because they are part of life itself or at least was part of the game at some time in the last 20 years. Simmers come in all ages and many of us have been alive a long time and have experienced more real life and the way things were than many newer simmers. We got our experience in the real world and not from tv or even games - and we liked the options offered - now a days we only get peeks at things we used to be able to experience in the game itself. Why is this?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

MasonGamer wrote: »
    I don't know how weird it is, I tend to look at Pinterest and Tumblr a lot more now.
    My building Style is Very Rustic, Earthy, and Neogothic, Neoclassic, and Second Empire Style.

But I tend to look at my other favorite video games and Films
    - Kingdom Hearts
    - Final Fantasy
    - Legend of Zelda
    - Elder Scrolls

- Once Upon a Time
    - Teen Wolf
    - Pretty Little Liars (The first 5 Seasons)
    - Reign
    - Victoria
    - The Crown
    - The Tudors

But it's mostly me, and my life that also heavily influences my game.

There have been a few games that have inspired me. My husband and sons get a bit annoyed with me when they're playing a game, and I make them walk around a house or building so I can get a good look at the exterior.

This game has completely changed the way I look at architecture. It's somewhat turned me into an architectural nerd.
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    From life itself and having 20 years of the Sims to relive or take from life to direct my game and want things in my present game because they are part of life itself or at least was part of the game at some time in the last 20 years. Simmers come in all ages and many of us have been alive a long time and have experienced more real life and the way things were than many newer simmers. We got our experience in the real world and not from tv or even games - and we liked the options offered - now a days we only get peeks at things we used to be able to experience in the game itself. Why is this?

I'm sorry, I don't think I understand what you're saying. Can you elaborate?
    edited October 2019
    Well when Sims came out in Sims 1 and Sims 2 Will Wright created the game from instances of his real life and the way things were done 15-20 years ago. We played the game with a mix of fantasy along with doses of real life as it was then mixed together. But when Sims 3 came into being it seemed there was a big switch removing any part of real life that could be viewed as detrimental in any shape or form to younger players - real life had to suddenly be less scarey to some younger players and when they started doing that it made the game lose a lot of it's deep hearted feels it had to many players. It seems the game became less about actually living life and more about coddling the masses and the more it does this the more it actually separates the players. It is harder to deplict real life in a game about life when all instances of real life are wraped in protective safe zones.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Well when Sims came out in Sims 1 and Sims 2 Will Wright created the game from instances of his real life and the way things were done 15-20 years ago. We played the game with a mix of fantasy along with doses of real life as it was then mixed together. But when Sims 3 came into being it seemed there was a big switch removing any part of real life that could be viewed as detrimental in any shape or form to younger players - real life had to suddenly be less scarey to some younger players and when they started doing that it made the game lose a lot of it's deep hearted feels it had to many players. It seems the game became less about actually living life and more about coddling the masses and the more it does this the more it actually separates the players. It is harder to deplict real life in a game about life when all instances of real life are wraped in protective safe zones.

Ok, I understand what you're saying now. But how is this related to weird sources of inspiration? Am I missing something?
    edited October 2019

Ok, I understand what you're saying now. But how is this related to weird sources of inspiration? Am I missing something?

Well yes - we are missing the ability to tell those stories because Maxis finds it easier to not make those stories playable because it is apparently easier or something less to cause upset to some players. Instead of letting people deal with things like we always have - they hide potential upsets out of reach - just in case it might upset some one - which in turn does upset players who experienced life differently or even played the game differently because before they could do those things and now we can't/ it created resentment between everyone when they start turning a life simulation game into candy land.

It is sort of like if you were watching a newsreel of a real life war scene happening somewhere and suddenly the tv scene removed all the real guns and replaced them with water guns but all the rest was as it was. That whole scenario becomes a joke and no longer the life or death situation is really was - it is no longer what is really happening in the world but a silly rendition of making it all better.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I build a lot a things inspired by houses in Hitman and Hitman 2.

Well yes - we are missing the ability to tell those stories because Maxis finds it easier to not make those stories playable because it is apparently easier or something less to cause upset to some players. Instead of letting people deal with things like we always have - they hide potential upsets out of reach - just in case it might upset some one - which in turn does upset players who experienced life differently or even played the game differently because before they could do those things and now we can't/ it created resentment between everyone when they start turning a life simulation game into candy land.

I get all of that, and I see your point completely. I think it's the easiest way not offend.

Thst being said, how is this relevant to my original question of "What's the weirdest source of inspiration you've drawn to create in this game?" For example, have you looked at a houseplant, and thought those leaves are an interesting shape, I think I'll build a house in that shape?
    happyopi wrote: »

I've made my husband walk around houses in GTA5 so I could get a good look at the exterior. He just rolls his eyes and waits for me to tell him to move. :D
    edited October 2019
    happyopi wrote: »

Yep you are inspired by another game that deplicts real life - and not the life simulation game that actually should deplict life. I find that odd seeing the Sims did used to simulate a mixture of real life and imagination and now it doesn't really. We should be able to take real life experience and play through it in the game on some level somewhere - life is not Candy land 24 / 7. We should be able to play our own lives a little bit if we so desire like Will Wright made his game using real life with bits of fantasy to lighten it up. Not make it something else entirely because the sound of a burglar alarm might scare one player.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited October 2019
    I've recently created sims inspired by music, specifically songs by Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Willie Nelson and Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. And my avatar sim was inspired by Charles II of Spain, last Hapsburg king of Spain, the classic example of family tree collapse.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
    I've recently created sims inspired by music, specifically songs by the Beatles Willie Nelson and Nick Cave & the bad Seeds

I'm currently listening to Star Trek music for inspiration. while yesterdays efforts were fuelled by Nemesis and Insurrection soundtracks and ahdar ru'afo's comical scream to boost spirits further, yesterday was nice, it kept things flowing. too much music these days is all noise, too much sharp drum beats and guitar riffs going off as one to the point it turns into white noise, so i got to be careful otherwise inspiration turns into boredem in a hurry.
    edited October 2019
    I've recently created sims inspired by music, specifically songs by Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Willie Nelson and Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. And my avatar sim was inspired by Charles II of Spain, last Hapsburg king of Spain, the classic example of family tree collapse.

That's interesting. What songs?

@Hoverael, I assume the Star Trek music is all instrumental? I think that would be a good muse for just about anything. I'm not a Trekkie but I would imagine they characters alone would make for some good inspiration as well. Star Trek was always my mom's thing. I couldn't get into it. I'm more of a time travel enthusiast. Space-themed stuff doesn't really do much for me. I do, however, respect the franchise, even though I know little to nothing about it.