Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it normal for cache file to be too big?

My compositorCache.package and simCompositorCache packages both get big during one play like within 2 hours..
The compositorCache. package get more than 500 MB in one play within 2 hours, I'm not sure if that is normal?

I have all expansions except WA and 2 SPs and some store content (about 1.5 GB) and I only have like two mods like no censor and opportunity fix and the rest are few hair cc and my setting are on high-ultra..I have a mid-range gaming PC

Is it normal to for that cache file to get that big in 2 hours? Someone told me before its not..and I'm worried

I always use save as and try to keep my game as clean as possible..

Comments

• TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    Looks about alright. Just delete it from time to time. Personally, I do it once or twice a day.
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    Turjan wrote: »
    Looks about alright. Just delete it from time to time. Personally, I do it once or twice a day.

I delete this cache everytime before playing sims 3 but leave the rest cache since they dont get as big..
    I heard it's related to buy and build objects and I'm assuming because I have all EPs and some some store content..generally alot of content in buy mode it gets big? I'm not sure

Hoping someone more expert on this can help me because I'm trying to keep sims 3 as stable as possible and sick of occasional lag..
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    Compositor cache is related to build/buy mode items
    Simcompistor cache is related to new sims, default skins
    script cache are related to mods.

These are three I make sure to delete each game.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2019
    The entire caching system exists to make the game work more smoothly by providing faster access to the temporary data they hold, not to slow it down and increase lag. By deleting the caches before every startup, certainly the two compositor caches and the CasPartCache, we are actually making the game work harder to re-create them as needed. For those of us on strong enough systems, we should barely notice the difference.

The reason for the cache file deletion is not to keep the cache files smaller than a few hundred MBs each, but to help ensure that they don't get clogged up with stale data. That's why they certainly need to be deleted whenever we introduce new content to or remove content from our games and more like periodically otherwise. And that's also why many of us do not recommend clearing the WorldCaches or other such files like Thumbnails unless there is a specific problem we are trying to solve or we have removed an entire world from the install and have no intention of ever playing it again.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I'm of the opposite opinion concerning the 'World Cache' files. I do delete these files once they reach a certain huge file size. It hasn't hurt my game. However, the loading of textures and other things happen a bit slower on the next start up until the file is rebuilt. If you lack patience or if seeing those grey texture-less objects bothers you, don't delete these files. Once everything has been 're-written/re-loaded', there is no need to 'clean it' again until it reaches that certain huge file size. What that huge file size would be depends entirely on you and your machine.

Deleting the thumbnail package is a big no-no for me as it can play havoc with the images of installed content, even content which is hardwired into the game and not store bought or otherwise installed. I leave this one alone at all costs.
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    The entire caching system exists to make the game work more smoothly by providing faster access to the temporary data they hold, not to slow it down and increase lag. By deleting the caches before every startup, certainly the two compositor caches and the CasPartCache, we are actually making the game work harder to re-create them as needed. For those of us on strong enough systems, we should barely notice the difference.

The reason for the cache file deletion is not to keep the cache files smaller than a few hundred MBs each, but to help ensure that they don't get clogged up with stale data. That's why they certainly need to be deleted whenever we introduce new content to or remove content from our games and more like periodically otherwise. And that's also why many of us do not recommend clearing the WorldCaches or other such files like Thumbnails unless there is a specific problem we are trying to solve or we have removed an entire world from the install and have no intention of ever playing it again.

Thank you @igazor ! I know leaving them make everything loud faster which I try not to delete them if they dont get big..but they get about half 1 GB (the Compositor cache one specifically) in one play season (2-3 hours) so is that normal? I'm getting concerned whether I should delete them everytime becus they get huge fast or leave them for a while?
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited October 2019
    That's what I meant with my first answer: half a GB for simCompositorCache.package sounds about right after several hours.
    Edit: Except if you really meant compositorCache.package, which should be considerably smaller.
  • FreerthyFreerthy Posts: 4 New Member
    Delete it from time to time and everything will be fine.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    A few hundred MB to somewhere around 500 MB (but certainly less than 1 GB) each is not uncommon or to be considered too large for cache files. They cap themselves and shouldn't grow much larger than what has been described.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    @graventhe - I don't think you have anything to worry about, the sizes of your Cache-files seem perfectly normal. This is how mine looked after a couple of hours play in a new Sunset Valley save:

8QZhQpY.png

@GraceyManor - Not only to mods, since I get them too, and I don't use mods and never have. It is almost always 2978 kB for some reason.
    edited October 2019
    SuzyCue72 wrote: »
    @graventhe - I don't think you have anything to worry about, the sizes of your Cache-files seem perfectly normal. This is how mine looked after a couple of hours play in a new Sunset Valley save:

8QZhQpY.png

@GraceyManor - Not only to mods, since I get them too, and I don't use mods and never have. It is almost always 2978 kB for some reason.
    I am going by what modthesims listed and what others have told me when troubleshooting .I am at work right otherwise I would post a link
    you don’t even use mods like overwatch, etc?
    Don’t know why yours is big then but I was told to always clear that one after installing/removing mods and modthesims cache guide lis5 it as being mod related
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    About the script cache - I played this game from June 2009 to late 2014 without any mods or CC and I always had ScriptCache.package.

But I know that mods add ScriptError files that can provide useful information if you know how to read them. I presume mods also probably write to the ScriptCache.package
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    I am going by what modthesims listed and what others have told me when troubleshooting .I am at work right otherwise I would post a link
    you don’t even use mods like overwatch, etc?
    Don’t know why yours is big then but I was told to always clear that one after installing/removing mods and modthesims cache guide lis5 it as being mod related

@GraceyManor - No, I don't use any mods, and never have. My TS3 game is pure vanilla. :)

Karritz wrote: »
    About the script cache - I played this game from June 2009 to late 2014 without any mods or CC and I always had ScriptCache.package.

But I know that mods add ScriptError files that can provide useful information if you know how to read them. I presume mods also probably write to the ScriptCache.package

@Karritz - Nice to see someone else with the same experience as me, it confirms that I'm not just fantasizing. :)
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    @SuzyCue72 @GraceyManor Being mod related doesn't mean it is only there if you have mods. I haven't looked at what Mod The Sims says about it.
    I always had the script package to.But modthesims lists it as mod related and that was what’s i was told when I had issues with mods so I just assumed