Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Baking By Death | Book Two - On Hiatus

Comments

• FeroshaCoutoraFeroshaCoutora Posts: 142 Member
    @DeafSimmer oh yes, partying too hard, engaged in vast and ancient supernatural shenanigans, you know 😉
    Dark Family Comedy & Paranormal Romance

r0AD3AN.jpg
  • Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member
    Ok, hear me out:
    kickz.jpg

This should be the ship name, please and thank you.
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead
    @Dollyllama108 THIS IS CANNON NOW. Oh my gosh you've given me inspiration for an AU project that I 100% don't have time but now must start lolololololol

r0AD3AN.jpg
    New Chapter!

(Am I posting this link somewhat on time? Yes!)

VxuHSZi.jpg

Chapter 41, Part 1: The Fate of It All

Alice learns something startling about herself, Akira and Titania ponder their latest acquisition, and William and Morgyn return to a post-wraith Windenburg.

r0AD3AN.jpg
    @DeafSimmer Thank you! And don’t worry, I’m sure it won’t be a terrifyingly powerful monster or anything, I say, ::evil laughter:: haha I kid, I kid. I’m not gonna spoil anything for the future.

Also P.S. - I’m about to run into your forum post with all sorts of (probably wrong) theories. I DON’T TRUST BRAEDON. That is all :-)

r0AD3AN.jpg
    Work/life has been super hectic and I'm sorry this is so late, but new chapter!

Actually, two new chapters if you haven't been on WordPress in a while (I don't even think I posted the last one).

Chapter 43, Part 1: The Owl of Ascension

Anastasia pulls off the ultimate heist with a member of the Martin family, but the prize is not what she expected. Morgyn has secrets, and they are haunting their dreams.

oh and if you missed the last one, Chapter 42, Part 2: The Fate of it All: Alice and Gwendolyn spend some quality baking time together, Penny shares a dangerous secret and may not live to regret it, William plays spy, and Vlad shares his fears about fatherhood.

r0AD3AN.jpg
    It's taking everything I have to finish this first story! New Chapter is live:

Chapter 43, Part 2: The Owl of Ascension

The Martin family adjusts their plans with help from William and Untamed Magic. Miko dreams of being put out of her misery, and The Fates intervene, as usual.

Only two more chapters to go...

r0AD3AN.jpg
    I continue crawling towards the finish line:

Chapter 43, Part 1: A Different Path to Victory (yes, I totally messed up my chapter numbering lol)

Akira and Titania soak up some sun while Miko decides to take control of her fate. We get a peek at the crisis Morgyn has inadvertently created in the Magic HQ basement, and we find out whether godhood will truly be decided by a baking contest or grand magical battle.

r0AD3AN.jpg
    edited May 2021
    IT IS FINISHED. The last few chapters all in one fell swoop. See how it ends:

Chapter 43, Part 2: A Different Path to Victory

Chapter 44: Sweet Ascension

Epilogue

BBD Returns Fall 2021 with Underworld Summer Vacation (after I take a muchhhhhhh needed break)

r0AD3AN.jpg
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    Wow, great chapters.

Thank you! It’s a huge relief to be done with book one. Now I can happily binge all the stories I’ve been falling behind on. And take some time to refill the tank :-)

r0AD3AN.jpg
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,768 Member
    Saw this on Snuffy’s recs page and the premise sounds interesting, so giving it a shot.
    I love all the illustrations in the book excerpt. Ooh, ancient sages! - and a fallen god who’s been stuck in your brain since you were a kid. What could go wrong? : p I think the Strangerville location is an interesting one for a story involving supernaturals. Scientific weirdness and magic weirdness is a great combo.

An interesting curse, forced to feel intense guilt for the past. Alice’s experience of an old woman thinking everything is on sale, and questioning her knowledge, was too relatable XC ohh so that’s why Alice didn’t want to see Mark again. I was initially just thinking it was an awkward breakup. This seems good so far and the heavy worldbuilding and lore is something I’m a sucker for : 3 Awesome stuff!
    they/them or she/her
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    Saw this on Snuffy’s recs page and the premise sounds interesting, so giving it a shot.
    I love all the illustrations in the book excerpt. Ooh, ancient sages! - and a fallen god who’s been stuck in your brain since you were a kid. What could go wrong? : p I think the Strangerville location is an interesting one for a story involving supernaturals. Scientific weirdness and magic weirdness is a great combo.

An interesting curse, forced to feel intense guilt for the past. Alice’s experience of an old woman thinking everything is on sale, and questioning her knowledge, was too relatable XC ohh so that’s why Alice didn’t want to see Mark again. I was initially just thinking it was an awkward breakup. This seems good so far and the heavy worldbuilding and lore is something I’m a sucker for : 3 Awesome stuff!

OMG Thank you! Enjoy the totally bonkers wild ride hahahaha.

Oh, Alice is not immune to an awkward break-up lol. Stay tuned!

r0AD3AN.jpg
    I'm up to Chapter 20.
    I really like that you've made this story a proper homage to the romance genre as a whole, and I like the way you play on the common tropes of the genre without making them cliched or too cheesy. I also loved the descriptions during the fight scenes with the vampires, the descriptions of the attacks and inflictions were horribly visceral (in a good way!) and Vlad's black-winged form is awesome.
    they/them or she/her
    I'm up to Chapter 20.
    I really like that you've made this story a proper homage to the romance genre as a whole, and I like the way you play on the common tropes of the genre without making them cliched or too cheesy. I also loved the descriptions during the fight scenes with the vampires, the descriptions of the attacks and inflictions were horribly visceral (in a good way!) and Vlad's black-winged form is awesome.

Ahhh! Squee! Thank you! I really love romance (paranormal romance in particular) and I really just wanted to write fluff and monsters. Haha, I've written so many romance genre in-jokes and every time I'm like: will anyone but me laugh at this? Anyways, I'm so delighted you're enjoying the story! And I'm just about to start posting Book Two so this has made my day!

r0AD3AN.jpg
    Up to Chapter 30.
    I love the portrayal of the Sages and their mannerisms, it’s very fitting for each of them and their respective schools. It’s very close to my own outlook on them. Especially Morgyn, sophisticated accent and swirling the wine glass, so fitting : p Also laughing at Vlad’s complete misunderstanding of phones and phone numbers, bless XD ‘Of Course I Can Help You Find That Item That’s Right In Front Of You” smile’ is so relatable.

Found the scene with Ben worrying about losing Alice kinda sad, and all the ofher Conduits dying and her seemingly being his favourite one so far. Let’s hope Alice survives! If they really have stuck Ben in some kind of time loop, that sounds like Hell X_X And later on there’s mention of a time loop repeating over 999 times IIRC? I can’t imagine anything worse. So if I am correct (I rarely am) Morgyn also has the same sort of ‘time loop’ power as Miko was talking about earlier? If so- The sage of incredible destructive power also being able to somehow control time, is terrifying X_X
    they/them or she/her
  • PurpleThistlesPurpleThistles Posts: 618 Member
    Read all chapters to the end and just wanted to say you are a very talented writer. Your writing style reminded me of Terry Pratchet, one of my fave authors. Fantastic.
    Up to Chapter 30.
    I love the portrayal of the Sages and their mannerisms, it’s very fitting for each of them and their respective schools. It’s very close to my own outlook on them. Especially Morgyn, sophisticated accent and swirling the wine glass, so fitting : p Also laughing at Vlad’s complete misunderstanding of phones and phone numbers, bless XD ‘Of Course I Can Help You Find That Item That’s Right In Front Of You” smile’ is so relatable.

Found the scene with Ben worrying about losing Alice kinda sad, and all the ofher Conduits dying and her seemingly being his favourite one so far. Let’s hope Alice survives! If they really have stuck Ben in some kind of time loop, that sounds like ❤️❤️❤️❤️ X_X And later on there’s mention of a time loop repeating over 999 times IIRC? I can’t imagine anything worse. So if I am correct (I rarely am) Morgyn also has the same sort of ‘time loop’ power as Miko was talking about earlier? If so- The sage of incredible destructive power also being able to somehow control time, is terrifying X_X

YOU ARE ASKING SO MANY GOOD QUESTIONS AND ITS TAKING EVERYTHING I HAVE NOT TO ANSWER AND SPOIL IT ALL, LOL. Okay, I am obsessed with every Simlit's version of Morgyn. I think we all see them with fancy clothes and drinking expensive wine, and yet, everyone has a slightly different take on them. I have a dream of reading every simlit with Morgyn in it just to see. They are one of my favorite characters to write because I aspire to their level of pettiness.

Oh Vlad, poor simple Vlad. Dragging him into the modern age has been a complete delight.

r0AD3AN.jpg
    Read all chapters to the end and just wanted to say you are a very talented writer. Your writing style reminded me of Terry Pratchet, one of my fave authors. Fantastic.

Whoa, that is high praise ::ducks head:: and thank you! I also love Pratchett. He manages to do this thing where his books are funny, heartwarming, horrifying, serious, and not serious at all—all the same time. I love all the witches books, I literally re-read them every Halloween.

Gah, I'm just so stoked you read it and enjoyed it! I hope you come back for Book Two. It will be another wild ride hahaha.

r0AD3AN.jpg
    edited August 2021
    @FeroshaCoutora Same, for me I just think the Sage of nearly-uncontrollable magic is best driven to excess in one way or another, it just has to be done. And what's more fun then taking wild supernatural stuff up to eleven? :p I love your portrayal of all the premades though, you even breathe life into some premades who I wasn’t previously bothered about before I read this.

I really love that one theme that ties most portrayals of Morgyn together is that they are often someone who is either already scarily powerful, or otherwise wants to be scarily powerful. IDK why I'm drawn to characters like that, probably because so much can go wrong for a character with that sort of thing: P They were the main character of the last SimLit I just finished writing, they were a side character in one story and I got obsessed and made a sort of prequel, and honestly they have been one of my favourite premades to write about as well as to read others’ interpretations. Anyway ramble over, now for…more ramble?

I’ve just finished Chapter 37.
    Liking the sword fight scene between Morgyn and William; ‘infinite magical power’ sounds alarming, definitely, but I can only see Morgyn as someone who would want to be as powerful as possible even if they have to use Vlad ‘for nefarious purposes’ as they put it. ‘I could crush a world, Aurelius. Would do. Have done. Might do it again.’ Honestly this line gave me a chill, it’s just so brutal and yet so casual at the same time. X_X and if Simeon is seemingly unnecessary to the pair of them now, will L or Morgyn be the one to get rid of him?

I feel for Alice, and that she wants to deal with the situation with as little a body count as possible but seems to feel like she’s not being listened to. It’s no fun trying to be a pacifist when others are trying to antagonise you. And even then it seems the vengeance overtakes her when the purple fire stuff comes up…

The scene where the snakes wrap around the pleasants was really eerie and cool, this story gives me sort of DnD vibes and I love it. Ohhhhh my gosh the even darker Vlad is so darn awesome and the close up of his face was terrifying but the good kind of terrifying.

I laughed so much at ‘she’s a nine year old kid!’ ‘SHE’S A DEMON!’ Vlad defaulting to sword fighting as a hobby : p Somehow I feel like he’s enjoy painting. Think he’d have a secret artsy side he wouldn’t show anyone or talk about : p

Now I’m wondering exactly what happened at the Solstice where Penny lost her family… And to see Vlad unleash Phobos as well. Seems like he’s burying himself back into his old woodworking, but burying yourself in a hobby will only do so much to ease whatever you’re trying to escape from. (Take my word Vladdy, I know this from experience!)

The Artbreeder pics were cool! Alice and Vlad were my favourites from that, although real life Vlad looks scary haha, would not want to cross him : p Interesting revelation with the timeline’s’ as well and I like how seemingly, Miko has been so obsessed with controlling time and events, she’s seemingly not realised that she can’t do that for every unconceivable amount of alternate timelines that there are. Oh gosh, and Alice was killed off in every one where she wasn’t necessary…

Okay, so with what happened with both Morgyn and what happens with Alice’s convo with Ben in the void- it seems like all the magic from every timeline is merging? Maybe even the timelines themselves merging. The same for them both then? So Alice is going to be like …1000 Alice’s worth of power? : O You’ve heard of horsepower, now get ready for 1000 units of Alicepower : p

Trust Morgyn to dress for fashion rather than practicality in the deep jungle!
    Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
    I’ve finished ;-; Sorry my notes are a mess.
    I doubt Morgyn would want to share a massive deal of their power, but then less power, more time with William- what matters more to Morgyn I wonder, the power of Untamed magic or the power of love?

I really loved when they found the pictures of the gods in the library, before we saw the images I was picturing all these very archaic, etchings or Victorian-style paintings of people’s imaginings of them. Elmyra looks really cool TBH. I love how each god has their own little story, and like most stories of gods, full of excess and desire for control. Elmyra erasing a child’s face to ‘recreate’ them in her own image sounds horrifying, them you remember how many parents live vicariously through their children in real life and see them as nothing more than extensions of their own wants and needs. I wonder why Morgyn’s beating around the bush a bit later though? I can’t tell if Morgyn’s ‘I am Untamed magic!’ Response is literal or egotistical if that makes sense. Oh, so it is literal. So a God can’t die ‘directly’ but they can become mortal and die that way. A literal embodiment of Untamed magic- would not want to mess with that. NGL the kiss was pretty cute, but I can’t shake the feeling that falling in love with the Untamed is not a good idea. I laughed when Gwen called Alice her favourite bluntly calling Vlad otherwise XD Loved the reaper shots at the end of Ch40Pt2.

Woah gosh, so Alice is pregnant. I wonder if that will throw a spanner in the works of all the planning going on in the previous chapters? Will the child be some kind of demigod I wonder? ‘freedom from death is not freedom from pain.’ I really like this line. In a dark way it means there’s not really much escape from pain. You like with the guilt about your actions, or trauma etc. For the rest of your days. Immortality isn’t the gift it seems at first. Yikes, who would have thought the Practical sage would have been up to some shady stuff too…But there is hope, if Penny’s family are still alive. Maybe with the timeline merge of the earlier chapters they may be somewhere in ‘this’ timeline?

Ben with the huge horns and claws is horrifying, but it’s cool seeing all the gods and magic embodiments all these years ago! The last chapter with Vlad and Morgyn was a fun one. Normally Vlad can get what he wants through fear and vampiric powers, but how do you get what you want from an ages-old embodiment of Untamed magic, who wouldn’t likely be afraid of such a thing? (coming back to this after reading Ch43Pt1, I realise Vlad wins out.) It’s mad to think that the baking contest, which at first I assumed would be a sort of ‘meet cute’ location for Alice and Vlad to hook up, was actually part of the Elders’ plan hundreds of years ago.

Nothing like quick funeral home Woohoo : p That explosion at the end was awesome, and the shot of Vlad’s stern face bathed in red was unnerving, it’s awesome. I’m with Plumb on the Epilogue echoing the start of the story thematically.

So I went into this expecting a sort of fluffy yet dark romance , and came out with a fluffy yet dark romance, multiverse plotlines, magic, supernatural stuff and something that felt like reading an awesome DnD campaign, very impressed and reading this has given me serotonin for the past two weeks. I really enjoyed it!
    they/them or she/her
    @SnowBnuuy GAH WHERE DO I BEGIN? My reply is also all over the place.

First of all, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Haha "dark romance, multiverse plotlines, magic, supernatural stuff" is high praise. I have a regular D&D game I've been playing with friends for like 13 years so that side of my nerdery definitely influenced this story! Umm, let me put the rest under a spoiler tag in case someone new starts reading!
    Morgyn/William - is falling in love with Untamed Magic a good idea? Is it even love? I definitely wanted to explore what a relationship would like for an eternal being who desires love and companionship but is so traumatized from losing it in the past they cannot help but try to control it in ways that might be damaging. I've got so much planned for these two in Book 2 but yeah, Morgyn is going to have to make some decisions about having complete control/power or love. William is a bit of a mess too. He is younger than Morgyn (LOL, gosh, 600 years is the "young") but he has not had a relationship since he lost his husband like 500 years ago so...you know...stay tuned.

Yassss! Immortality is great, but also not great, as proved by all the characters in BBD. That is definitely a theme I wanted to play with. And umm yes, Vlad is very scary which makes it all the better when Gwendolyn/Alice give him a hard time.

This is going to be explored in Book 2 but I'll just say that the child of the God of Death and Fear Itself is gonna be exactly as scarily powerful as you would think. So that's gonna be fun. And maybe terrifying for all the other gods who did not plan for this at all.

I'm glad this fluff gave you everything you needed! Come back anytime! I am definitely going to dive into your simlit! I want prequel Morgyn. I agree, their power obsession/scarily powerful thing is part of what is so intriguing. Stay tuned for me nerding out about that lol

r0AD3AN.jpg
    @FeroshaCoutora Ooh just noticed your new banner! I like it B ^ )
    Things have been tough ATM so I appreciate having your story as something to look forward to and distract myself, so thank you! I will look forward to Book Two! I'm gonna look at the character pages in the meantime! And thank you so much, that means the world ;o;
    they/them or she/her