Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is so Interesting About a Farming Pack?

Comments

• BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    For me it's the idea of new activities/skills that involve harvestables, like making preserves/nectar (basically more things to do with food. The idea of herding cattle/livestock doesn't appeal at all.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • GrouchybeastGrouchybeast Posts: 149 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    **DISCLAIMER** Please do not take this thread as me trying to be rude to people who want a Farming pack. I'm just wondering why people find something interesting.

But seriously, what? Farming? I understand that a lot of you want new hobbies that might come with it, like sewing and nectar making. I can understand sewing- but nectar making? What's so fun about your sims jumping barefoot on grapes? And horses, I can also understand, as I can see why having more pets would be fun. Cats and Dogs is great, so I expect Horses would be too. But... I don't know how exciting sheep, cows, pigs, and chickens can be. And growing crops sounds so boring, again. Most of the aspects that people say they want in a farming pack (that I have seen), seem so ridiculously boring to me that I can't understand why on earth anyone would want it!

So please. Explain to me, why you think a Farming pack would be fun.

Everybody has different tastes I guess.

The only answer this question really needs.
    "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
  • Eefje96Eefje96 Posts: 32 Member
    I am allergic to almost every animal.. thank god not for dogs!!! But i would like to live on a farm, harvest Some things have Some animals.. that would never happen.. so thats Why i cant wait for farming expansions or more animals or even a zoo with exotic animals i dont care as long i Can taste a little bit of the live as a farmer.
  • Light511Light511 Posts: 16 Member
    edited October 2019
    We need farmers market !
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    For me it is the whole living rural with growing crops, tending to livestock, making your own produce that I can sell on in my sims retail store as a farm shop really appeals to me. Plus I love all the country build/buy and cas that came in sims 3 pets which there is some of it lacking in sims 4. Personally this has more appeal to me then other packs such as university and future time travel packs as I live in the countryside in the uk and love that sort of lifestyle and want it in my sims game.
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    As some people have already said, how the OP and several others feel about farming, or a rural / countryside pack, is how I feel about a university pack. But - it's about so much more than looking after animals and growing plants, although that is part of it and I am looking forward to it. There are all the other activities, new recipes, places to go, farmers' markets, new hobbies, skills. Lots of interesting things that could be added. Of course we have different opinions about what sort of world we would like it to be, some of us would like it to reflect the landscape around us that we know, others would like to experience something new - including something new within the game. This argument has also cropped up with university, people want all sorts of different university experiences. If that is the next pack then the likelihood is that some people will be pleased and some upset that their wishes aren't evident in the outcome - but sadly that's life. No one pack can be all things. However, while they are in discussion stages we can certainly voice our opinions, they might have an influence. Afterwards we can still voice those opinions, but the decisions have been made.

I just really feel that it is high time the game had something new. And absolutely a good proportion of that must be addressed to other age groups within the game than YA and A.
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    pretty much I would let OP know that some people want something of a more exciting theme other than university. other players have been asking for a carnival game pack as well which i truly do not mind at all cos who am i to cross out one's wishlist, a'ight.

some of us aren't setting unrealistic expectations or being delusional here, so if that's the case, let people have options for llama's sake, so anyways, that's the tea.
    y'all got bread?
  • mordarlarmordarlar Posts: 38 Member
    edited October 2019
    For me, farming in The Sims is appealing because of the way it will integrate the game...(hopefully) The lack of farming leaves a gap in the game. I prefer to have a game that offers a bit of farm to table. I want to be able to market goods that others professions use to produce their own goods. I love this version of the game but one area it always feels lacking for me is the market system and produce upcycling. I want my flower shop owners to go to a market and buy flowers, that were grown and sold by another Sim, and not just flowers placed haphazardly all over a table, for use in their bouquets. I want markets with bountiful displays that showcase individual, home grown or made products in a realistic way. I want my chef to go to a market and purchase meat, as they are able to do with fish now. I want wool production and sales followed by upmarket production options. I want my bakers to purchase home produced milk and eggs and homemade cheese. I want a mechanic freelance option and i want my farmer to call in a mechanic to fix his broken machinery. I want my off grid people to truly live off their own labors. I want my wealthier sims to participate in show riding. I want livestock shows and breeding for traits. Farming is such a foundational aspect of society, especially old world style farming. The lack of this in the Sims, over so many years, has really limited the play of The Sims as life simulation game IMHO. I know that much of this is wishful thinking, and that production of a game like this is probably already well underway. But if ever a game could offer what The sims already does very well, with this weaker, or missing, aspect included, i would be very happy.
  • mordarlarmordarlar Posts: 38 Member
    One added thing....I find that there is a gap. Sims who run a store, must produce the things to sell in that store or purchase them through a limited yard sale type of sale. Sims shouldn't have to be an established farmer, with all the time that involves, and run an actual shop. The missing link of farm to store sales of famed goods is frustrating and is something i REALLY hope a farm pack would correct.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @TheIntrovertSimmer update pt. 2: you really made me go back down the stardew rabbit hole xD I've been playing it almost non-stop since I said I'd fire up my Vita again lol. And since I'm sincerely considering to finally cave and get a switch I might have to start a new save all over again :fearful: (bye, life)
  • LuxuryLuxury Posts: 127 Member
    I just want my sims to be able to live a simpler life. I already have an idea for a family I'd like to play if there's ever a farm pack.
  • RosemaryStarRosemaryStar Posts: 43 Member
    For me, gardening gameplay is wish fullfillment. I've tried to maintain a garden several times. I either forget to water or I'm too tired to weed and so my garden dies. I love looking at plants though.
  • WorramotWorramot Posts: 52 Member
    > @RosemaryStar said:
    > For me, gardening gameplay is wish fullfillment. I've tried to maintain a garden several times. I either forget to water or I'm too tired to weed and so my garden dies. I love looking at plants though.

That’s what The sims as whole is to some people. Wish fulfillment. 👍
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Thumbnail_688x336.jpg

Chickens!

I would really like to have that in the game. Could use that is so many places and with so many households. Both my parents grew up in super-small farming communities but moved to the capital for studies and jobs. I just grew up with their stories of farmlife. Would be fun to live it out in the Sims.

Chickens would be awesome! We could raise baby chicks, play with them and collect eggs! I also want to be able to breed farm animals like we can with cats and dogs. And livestock shouldn‘t be objects, but roam around.
    Farming would be an amazing EP!
    a256aFi.gif
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    A "farming" pack would be a completely new EP for the series.
    It would provide different activities and hobbies and a different way of playing the game. It could/should focus more on families and legacies and not only on YA. It will bring an alternative lifestyle to the ubiquitous yuppie/hip young adult that we have so far. It could introduce things like home schooling, real off the grid lifestyle, things to do with all the family members, elders siting on their porch on a rocking chair, new landscapes and large lots, many crops, animals, etc

There was this board that @SimGuruGraham posted when the community was voting and "deciding" on a stuff pack:
    WhiteBoard.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg
    and I basically want EVERYTHING on that list that isn't in the game yet.

All this if well done, of course.
    It is my most wanted theme at the moment and it has been for many many years but I am still sceptical as to how it will look and what will be really included if they do it.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I would love it if they did it right.

I would want to raise sheep, cows, pigs, turkeys and chickens. I would want to be able to send to them to the slaughterhouse and get meat back in the mail to make special dishes or simoleons if that is your preference. Raising animals should be work and I should have to breed them and when they are at that perfect age, to slaughter they go.

I would want to be able to make nectar and I would love a canning station. I would want to make all sorts of jam that could be included in some dishes. I would love to make fresh butter and fresh cheese for new recipes. Maybe even a special butter cake. Sheeps could be sheared and wool could be used to make clothing or special blankets that sims could wrap themselves in. Milking cows should be a thing. Special fattening feed could be a reward trait..lol

I would want to be able to go to the town square or park for a farmer's market event(maybe like the flea market in city living but better) where I could sell my produce or meat as well as buy items from other sims.

Butcher could be a new career, farmer could be a self-employed career, nectarmaker could be an active career or self employed.

The possibilities are endless but they would probably half-plum is making it a boring mess. If they cannot add an offscreen slaughterhouse bleh boring. If I am stuck with the same animals and not have to breed them BORING.

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    A "farming" pack would be a completely new EP for the series.
    It would provide different activities and hobbies and a different way of playing the game. It could/should focus more on families and legacies and not only on YA. It will bring an alternative lifestyle to the ubiquitous yuppie/hip young adult that we have so far. It could introduce things like home schooling, real off the grid lifestyle, things to do with all the family members, elders siting on their porch on a rocking chair, new landscapes and large lots, many crops, animals, etc

There was this board that @SimGuruGraham posted when the community was voting and "deciding" on a stuff pack:
    WhiteBoard.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg
    and I basically want EVERYTHING on that list that isn't in the game yet.

All this if well done, of course.
    It is my most wanted theme at the moment and it has been for many many years but I am still sceptical as to how it will look and what will be really included if they do it.

YES!! That list works too!!!

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

42975682-little-boy-watering-plants-in-the-garden-kids-working-in-garden.jpg

I just really really hope that they would allow children to just water plants at that point. Water a plant, tend a plant. Sometimes getting it wrong perhaps.

There has been so many more new things that Teens and older can do but not that many new things for children and I would be really sad if we had an entire expansion on farming and growing crops and all children can do is twiddle their thumbs and just look at the rest of the older family doing stuff. I don't need the kids to be able to get to gardening lvl 10 but just water plants. Do something with the plants and take part in the life with the yard.

Don't know why but I feel really strongly that I want them to interact with plants in some way. We can protest for the environment, become little eco-warriors out in Sulani actively working to save the environment and I just feel that the "green thought to protect the environment and care for it" is missing from the kids point of view.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    42975682-little-boy-watering-plants-in-the-garden-kids-working-in-garden.jpg

I just really really hope that they would allow children to just water plants at that point. Water a plant, tend a plant. Sometimes getting it wrong perhaps.

There has been so many more new things that Teens and older can do but not that many new things for children and I would be really sad if we had an entire expansion on farming and growing crops and all children can do is twiddle their thumbs and just look at the rest of the older family doing stuff. I don't need the kids to be able to get to gardening lvl 10 but just water plants. Do something with the plants and take part in the life with the yard.

Don't know why but I feel really strongly that I want them to interact with plants in some way. We can protest for the environment, become little eco-warriors out in Sulani actively working to save the environment and I just feel that the "green thought to protect the environment and care for it" is missing from the kids point of view.

Signed.
  • RosemaryStarRosemaryStar Posts: 43 Member
    Thumbnail_688x336.jpg

Chickens!

I would really like to have that in the game. Could use that is so many places and with so many households. Both my parents grew up in super-small farming communities but moved to the capital for studies and jobs. I just grew up with their stories of farmlife. Would be fun to live it out in the Sims.

Chickens would be awesome! We could raise baby chicks, play with them and collect eggs! I also want to be able to breed farm animals like we can with cats and dogs. And livestock shouldn‘t be objects, but roam around.
    Farming would be an amazing EP!

I love that premium content from the store. I use it a lot when playing the sims 3. No need to go across town to buys eggs plus you can get higher quality eggs.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    I think a farming pack could be challenging if they built it correctly. For instance cows need milked or you risk harm to them. The player would learn shortly what happens to cows if they aren't milked on time. It should be more than the farm assets from the TS3 store. Having to get up at 5:00 A.M. to milk cows for grumpy Sim could add some interesting twists. Or if your Sim over sleeps. And or has to rush home to milk those cows since TS4 time continues.

Chickens could be a great learning tool to teach some players don't have a rooster if you are going to eat or sell eggs. No one wants fertilized eggs. And what happens to chickens and eggs if you don't gather them on time. Life is hard.

How to have chicken for dinner if you own a chicken farm or a few chickens...life's lessons. They aren't just going to hop into that pan.

How to get your wheat, flour, vegetables and fruits to market before they spoil on the trip. Teaching players why the need for fast travel of how to get them there. The masses can't wait on a home garden. Nor can the farmer afford a year's worth of work down the drain.

What it means to have too much rain, or too much drought. And what happens to the cost and masses when things don't go well. Life's lessons.

What Scruvy is and why it's important to get to the masses the food before it spoils or if it's too raw and not rippened enough. The whole town could get scruvy.

How cute little moles can spoil a year's worth of work.

Why horses need excersise. Why mules are better for plowing than horses. Having to get up and or go back home to excersise your horses. Sorry, gotta leave the bar the animals need tending.

How to smoke ham, pigs aren't going to volunteer. How meat ( beef) is better for iron and protein than any vegetable. Why liver matters.

Why drinking egg plant juice is poison.

It could change gameplay for the entire game if they want to really get into reality.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • my2pinksmy2pinks Posts: 11 New Member
    > @AlbaWaterhouse said:
    >
    >
    > There was this board that @SimGuruGraham posted when the community was voting and "deciding" on a stuff pack:
    > (Image)
    >
    > and I basically want EVERYTHING on that list that isn't in the game yet.
    >
    > All this if well done, of course.
    > It is my most wanted theme at the moment and it has been for many many years but I am still sceptical as to how it will look and what will be really included if they do it.

This list would be incredible!

I have been playing Sims since the beginning. I played SimCity in high school and college. I remember seeing the TV commercials for The Sims just after I got married and was enamored with the idea of being able to play "the people" from SimCity. Most of my cities were AG-based rather than industry-based because I have always loved Little House on the Prairie style gameplay, they were my favorite book series growing up. That being said, I have been waiting for a farm-based, off-the-grid, prairie style pack for the Sims for a really long time.

I have certainly enjoyed the packs and expansions that have come out with all 4 of the Sims franchises but Farming is where my heart lays as that is where my interests lay.
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    At first, I didn't get why the farming pack. But then I took a break, and played a bit of Ts3, and tried the farmer life (with the store objects), and really enjoyed it. I also played Stardew Valley during that time.

I would love to run a corner grocery store with my sim, and definitely agree with all the posts that we need a break from the tech/ya type gameplay, which is what I hope a farming pack might bring. (hopefully with more activities for kids and toddlers as well).
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    **DISCLAIMER** Please do not take this thread as me trying to be rude to people who want a Farming pack. I'm just wondering why people find something interesting.

But seriously, what? Farming? I understand that a lot of you want new hobbies that might come with it, like sewing and nectar making. I can understand sewing- but nectar making? What's so fun about your sims jumping barefoot on grapes? And horses, I can also understand, as I can see why having more pets would be fun. Cats and Dogs is great, so I expect Horses would be too. But... I don't know how exciting sheep, cows, pigs, and chickens can be. And growing crops sounds so boring, again. Most of the aspects that people say they want in a farming pack (that I have seen), seem so ridiculously boring to me that I can't understand why on earth anyone would want it!

So please. Explain to me, why you think a Farming pack would be fun.

A farming pack would also probably add tractors,hayrides and actual greenhouses with a ceiling sprinkling system.
  • VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    edited October 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think a farming pack could be challenging if they built it correctly. For instance cows need milked or you risk harm to them. The player would learn shortly what happens to cows if they aren't milked on time. It should be more than the farm assets from the TS3 store. Having to get up at 5:00 A.M. to milk cows for grumpy Sim could add some interesting twists. Or if your Sim over sleeps. And or has to rush home to milk those cows since TS4 time continues.
    Making the farming pack challenging isn't something I would've considered, but it got me interested. I might actually be tempted to buy something that adds in difficulty, plus if they overhaul gardening a little bit so you can't just plant something in the ground and make tons of cash it would be nice.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    How to have chicken for dinner if you own a chicken farm or a few chickens...life's lessons. They aren't just going to hop into that pan.

How to smoke ham, pigs aren't going to volunteer. How meat ( beef) is better for iron and protein than any vegetable. Why liver matters.
    Yeah I don't think they would allow animals to be butchered, they would probably do it the "Stardew" way of just having cows for milk, chickens for eggs, and pigs for mushrooms (I guess?).

Might be an uproar if people see a sim head into a coop with a knife and come back with a sack of meat.
    EMrBkJP.png