Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why I'm not excited for University (worst case scenario)....

124...Next

Comments

• JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    edited October 2019
    somewhsome wrote: »
    McDonald's has different menus in different countries :) for example, there are a lot of vegetarian food in India and no beef.
    However, I think Sims 4 is quite diverse at this point, we're getting different worlds and styles, and Britechester gives me some strong British vibes (except for toilet stalls, of course 😁)

I'm definitely with you on this one. Definite British vibes from Britechester, the UoB looks Oxbridge inspired with the stone buildings and the redbrick buildings are very common over here. Also getting some Amsterdam vibes from one of the views of Britechester. Foxbury could be a modern university from anywhere though, including the UK, but it's not traditionally British even though we have buildings like that over here. The lack of Greek houses and bunkbeds would also play into that, as they're pretty American as well. Bunk beds are for kids here really, as students rarely share rooms (and would have twin beds if they do) and we don't have Greek houses. I'm probably the only person who's happy that there's no bunk beds though! The only bits that stick out as not very British/European are the toilet stalls - the toilet cubicles we have over here are actually cubicles without all the gaps so you actually have privacy. I'm just waiting for the world map with lot details on it, that's probably what will disappoint me the most with this pack.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I'm super bummed that there's no gameplay apart from Uni (except the new careers).
    I don't think I will buy it except if it's on sale... and even then...
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yeah I'm worried too.
    • Max 20 sims per lot, will there be any sims walking around the campus?
    • There are very few activities that require multiple sims in the game, so how are classes going to work?
    • You can only edit lots that you visit or own, so how are dorms going to work?
    • You can already reach the top of all careers without much effort, so what is the point of going to the university?
    • The game will just pick random sims or generate them, so can I play with multiple students?
    • Sims don't really react much to what you do (mermaid, casting spells, infected etc.) so can we even do presentations like in the trailer?
    • You can fast travel to any lot everywhere, unless you need to go to a shop or something, what is the point of using a bike?
    • The game has no "degrading" over time function. So does that mean that studying will just be a bar that you need to reach 100% in order to pass?

• JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    edited October 2019
    Anyone else notice in the trailer there were no classrooms with students interacting with a teacher? I went back to watch The Sims 3 university and noticed it in their trailer. Folks I think classrooms are rabit holes. They may throw us a bone with the robotics and art classes. Shrugs.
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    i dunno this pack looks meh for me tbh it has some cool stuff and will get it but it looks disappointing :(
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Classes (I hope) are just rabbit holes: "Sally has Economics class in one hour. Don't be late" kind of thing. The debates and lectures and labs and dorm life will be where the excitement can be found. Classes, in general, are boring anyway. Who wants to watch academic paint dry?
  • orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Classes (I hope) are just rabbit holes: "Sally has Economics class in one hour. Don't be late" kind of thing. The debates and lectures and labs and dorm life will be where the excitement can be found. Classes, in general, are boring anyway. Who wants to watch academic paint dry?

I won't be upset if classes are rabbit holes, but to me classes are the most exciting part of University. Learning is fun! (Although, I am saying this as someone that's never been to college... so maybe it isn't as fun as it seems...)
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd rather watch my Sim do something over waiting for them to get out of a rabbit hole.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do than watch my sim sit in a classroom and take notes (if they would without falling asleep). Why would anyone want the most boring part of college to be active. This is why we'll never get grade/high schools. There just isn't enough interesting game play in active schools to be worth the time and effort. Plus, it would probably rank right up there with MFP.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    I’m from Denmark. Over here all education is free and I just finished my Master degree. Everyone can go to university here.

I think our education system is very different from the American one...at least based on what I have seen in movies. But I don’t really mind if the game is based on the American system. The Sims is American after all and I will learn something about your culture, I suppose. :)

But I do like when Maxis are making worlds inspired by other countries and cultures like Sulani etc. Those are often more beautiful.

I’m hoping for a Scandinavian inspired one in the future. Would be fun to see how Maxis would interpret and show our culture. :)

It would be nice if they allowed us to build our universities and choose their available classes & etc similar to the way we build restaraunts

Even as an American I agree that The Sims is far too Americanized.

That's like saying McDonald's is too Americanized. If it began in a different area such as Europe I could see a more Europian influence on the game. But it began in America with American ingenuity, and spread across the globe. It would be like seeing Anime cartoons and games with Japanese culture and graphic designs and say they are too Asian and need to change. Or saying the game cricket (does anyone still play) should have goal posts and nets like the European game of soccer or American football. It would be like (to me) saying a game about the north pole in the heart of nothing but ice and snow should have sun lounging chairs and sun umbrellas. That might break immersion for some.

America itself is an amalgamation of other cultures from other countries and has nothing truly unique or original to it. Everything here is copied or imported from elsewhere. I would know as an American who has seen my parents (who are not American) distinct culture replicated and diluted here. Your comparisons aren't the same. The Sims is too American imo and should be more neutral.
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    @Cinebar yes, people most certainly do still play cricket. All over the world. Fantastic game, especially a test series, five days per game, coming down to the last over, rain stopped play. Fabulous. That's between GB and Australia. But lots of other countries also play.

Sorry, I know it has nothing to do with this pack but since I didn't notice it being addressed I couldn't leave it. Have a little google, you will be surprised. :smiley:
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited October 2019
    I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do than watch my sim sit in a classroom and take notes (if they would without falling asleep). Why would anyone want the most boring part of college to be active. This is why we'll never get grade/high schools. There just isn't enough interesting game play in active schools to be worth the time and effort. Plus, it would probably rank right up there with MFP.

In other video games they make activities that are boring in real life fun by adding fun stuff to them, like fishing in adventure games for example. They add collecting, minigames, or goals that makes these activities fun to do, I wish the sims could do the same for more things in the game.
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    I am just going to wait for more info and take it from there. It is FAR too early for me to be thinking about negatives and positives.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    LMcGE wrote: »
    @Cinebar yes, people most certainly do still play cricket. All over the world. Fantastic game, especially a test series, five days per game, coming down to the last over, rain stopped play. Fabulous. That's between GB and Australia. But lots of other countries also play.

Sorry, I know it has nothing to do with this pack but since I didn't notice it being addressed I couldn't leave it. Have a little google, you will be surprised. :smiley:

That's really cool to know. Where I live no one ever broadcasts any of the games. I like it, lol.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    Jerrello wrote: »
    Anyone else notice in the trailer there were no classrooms with students interacting with a teacher? I went back to watch The Sims 3 university and noticed it in their trailer. Folks I think classrooms are rabit holes. They may throw us a bone with the robotics and art classes. Shrugs.

Interactive classes in TS3 was one of my favorite things about that pack. Some TS3 players didn't care for it but I thought handson classes were great. I hope that sort of gameplay is in this game. One of my Sims was always teaching others and I never got tired of some falling asleep. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited October 2019
    Welp this discussion topic didn't age well

hahahahahahaha
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I don’t get the appeal of watching sims sit in class and raise their hand etc. I hated it and wished it was a rabbit hole. Open lab day, I loved that because the sim was actually doing something but even then, they could have made it more interesting. I found Sim 3 University boring and I was really annoyed that I could not send all my teens at the same time because that is where the fun is for me. After a while, University looked like a retirement home because all the students were elders. It got to a point where my sim couldn’t even develop a romantic relationship there. I stopped sending them to college.

I am very concerned once again I will not be able to send all my teens to University at the same time again. This will kill my rotational playstyle. If they put no thought into this, I will be waiting for a sale for sure because I will never send my sims to college unless I figure out a way to work it in my rotation.
  • JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    edited October 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Jerrello wrote: »

Interactive classes in TS3 was one of my favorite things about that pack. Some TS3 players didn't care for it but I thought handson classes were great. I hope that sort of gameplay is in this game. One of my Sims was always teaching others and I never got tired of some falling asleep. lol

If we can’t actually experience classes, lectures, or have any type of active career then are we just going to be watching rabbit holes all day and use objects until we get bored of them? Active lectures, and careers would actually add replay value. If they miss the mark with this one they might as well throw in the towel and focus on Sims 5.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    troshalom wrote: »

hahahahahahaha

How does this post not age well? You saw one trailer, and have learned nothing else about this pack. Nothing in that trailer disproved what I said.

Actually, their current silence about the actual gameplay is quite alarming, and might even confirm my suspicions....
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited November 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg Long live Sims 2! Lol. I used to have three dorms and two Greek Houses nearly filled with my Sims in one of the University worlds - the French sounding one. I really weighed down my game with so many Sims. What a blast! Wish I could still play that save but I think I destroyed it with cheats and overloaded giant households in the Downtown. :D

One day I'll figure out how to get Sims 2 to play on Windows 10. Good times! <3

Did you try to reinstall the Sims 2 that EA gave us. It was updated to play on Windows 10. I play it on windows 10. I did have to use an app to make it see my video card and I turned it to medium graphics so it got rid of this weird black square shadow under the sims feet - and it works fine.

I'm not sure but I think you can use graphic rules or something like that to remove those shadows & still play in a high resolution. If we can call it like that since it's TS2.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited November 2019
    bixters wrote: »
    troshalom wrote: »

hahahahahahaha

How does this post not age well? You saw one trailer, and have learned nothing else about this pack. Nothing in that trailer disproved what I said.

Actually, their current silence about the actual gameplay is quite alarming, and might even confirm my suspicions....

I'm 100% with you. It doesn't seem impressive at all. Can't believe they are wasting like that such a technology we have today. Will Wright would have done something amazing with everything we have nowadays.
    Lu4ERme.gif