Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why I'm not excited for University (worst case scenario)....

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    I would only buy university if sims with akready-established lives could do uni courses part time (like evening classes). If it's as it has been in the past - young adult only, living away at uni etc then I'm not interested as none of my sims do/will fit that profile.

While I would love classes at night, this version will probably only have rabbit hole classes so night school won't be much of an experience, at least not liked I hoped it would be. And while (hopefully) helpful to our sims career, on-line classes would not offer much game play either.

The best part of the educational part of Uni (for me) was always the lab work where your sim got to DO something related to their field of study.

If you google S2 and S3 uni packs, you'll see that a lot of objects and actions that came in those packs, we already have.

Sims 2 new Uni careers:

Artist.............New Camera (which we got in Moschino SP)
    Science..........Cowplant (came with the base game)
    Fame.............Plastic Surgery Station (not yet, but hopeful)
    Paranormal....Ressurect-O-Nomitron (phone to Grimmy,) spellcasters can bring ghosts from the nether world and bring them back to life.

New life state: zombie
    New musical instruments (most of which we have)

Sims 3 new Uni careers:

Communications.........Radio Station (not yet but we have the Social media equipment from City Living)
    Business.....................Workforce Warrior Business Planner (I don't remember this one at all)
    Science/Medicine.......Anatomy Skeleton (have a decorative Base game skeleton and others came in Jungle Adventure)
    Technology................Cerebralizing Brain Enhancing Machine (not yet)
    PhysED.......................also uses Anatomy Skeleton
    Fine Arts....................Sketch Book ( came in a patch)

Added:

Social Groups (nerd/jock/rebel).....got groups in Get Together
    New life state: plantsims
    Street Art: got in City Living

There are other objects and interactions that we got in the past that we have already gotten in one form or another.

I wonder what's left (other than the campus/world and classes) to be added in a Uni pack.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    My fear is that it will be another excuse to add more drinking/piping ECT. to the game, which we have had in the base, Get together, and City Living. Not interested in the party scene at all. Was hoping it would be an education pack. After seeing the name, whether it's a place holder or not, I am pretty sure that's not happening. That's a shame, because many animations would've been the same. Concentrating on education preschool, grade school, highschool, and university, while correcting the buildings from City living would've made an awesome pack. Plus, one thing you are forgetting is that they've dropped the 32 bit part of the game since City living ECT came out. So, perhaps they can do more, now.

Unlike many, I like the content lately, although I think they missed opportunities like adding hammocks with Island Living, for example. I don't care for witches, but love the new REM world and much of the build/buy/CAS which is huge, because stuff is what I like the most about all packs. Stuff that causes game play. I wasn't happy about the witches GP, but because they made sure that there was more than just witches, I was really excited about it.

Discover University? If it is juiced college, I will wait for a huge sale. The only bar in S4 I even use is the Tiki one, because it's so nice looking. I also loved the pool bar to use with pools from S3. But, that's it. Maybe a goth one.

Only thing that would have me very interested is great schooling system, energy drinks, bunk beds, Murphy bed, neat hair/clothes, bringing back body hair, piercings, belly rings/diamonds, and likes. Favorite color, music,and food like in S3. Sims having signs,other likes, and the attraction system. I miss the the irresistible trait they had in the Sims3 or whatever it was called. I gave many of my Sims that trait after it came out. Hope it makes a return.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    .Plastic Surgery Station (not yet, but hopeful.
    Would love this!!! Also, we got a video game maker on something in the Sims3 that I really liked for a rabbit hole game.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    The only thing that is certain is that a good part of the community will be bitterly disappointed. If it's like previous university packs, family players will be annoyed at yet another YA pack, and those whose 'university' experience isn't American middle-upper class will be left out. If they leave out some features from previous university packs to add features for other life stages and experiences, American YAs will gripe about the pack being 'watered down'.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    The only thing that is certain is that a good part of the community will be bitterly disappointed. If it's like previous university packs, family players will be annoyed at yet another YA pack, and those whose 'university' experience isn't American middle-upper class will be left out. If they leave out some features from previous university packs to add features for other life stages and experiences, American YAs will gripe about the pack being 'watered down'.

There’s no way they will make everyone happy, so I agree with you. There’s going to be lots of rants anyway.
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • Options

I don't think FAMILY players will be upset with a Uni pack. Going to Uni is a very important part of most families lives. The prep, the anticipation, the worry about finances, etc.
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    davina1221 wrote: »
    Not interested in the party scene at all. Was hoping it would be an education pack. After seeing the name, whether it's a place holder or not, I am pretty sure that's not happening. That's a shame, because many animations would've been the same. Concentrating on education preschool, grade school, highschool, and university, while correcting the buildings from City living would've made an awesome pack.

Only thing that would have me very interested is great schooling system, energy drinks, bunk beds, Murphy bed, neat hair/clothes, bringing back body hair, piercings, belly rings/diamonds, and likes. Favorite color, music,and food like in S3. Sims having signs,other likes, and the attraction system. I miss the the irresistible trait they had in the Sims3 or whatever it was called. I gave many of my Sims that trait after it came out. Hope it makes a return.

I'm with you, I could care less for my party aspects in gameplay. I'd like a pack that's focused on actually Education, we can party enough already.

I hope piercings, favorites and an attraction system comes in the game. I'm also hoping for a banking system. I mean it seems fitting for a sim to get a bank account in college. I mean it happens in real life.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options

I don't think FAMILY players will be upset with a Uni pack. Going to Uni is a very important part of most families lives. The prep, the anticipation, the worry about finances, etc.

If it's like previous university packs, we won't be able to play our families at all while playing the YA at university. And my families do just fine without a university phase - I'm more interested in raising the toddlers and kids. I usually age up my teens early to start the next generation - the last thing I want to do is spend time partying at a university with my YA. (I think I played an actual student for half a day in S2 or S3 - it was horribly linear and very stressful for my 'loner' Sim.)

I'd much rather have an education pack that provides options, such as night school and online classes - that would fit in much better for family play. And, of course, I want features for my kids and teens, who haven't had much in recent packs. (Homeschooling!)
  • Options

If it's like previous university packs, we won't be able to play our families at all while playing the YA at university. And my families do just fine without a university phase - I'm more interested in raising the toddlers and kids. I usually age up my teens early to start the next generation - the last thing I want to do is spend time partying at a university with my YA. (I think I played an actual student for half a day in S2 or S3 - it was horribly linear and very stressful for my 'loner' Sim.)

I'd much rather have an education pack that provides options, such as night school and online classes - that would fit in much better for family play. And, of course, I want features for my kids and teens, who haven't had much in recent packs. (Homeschooling!)

Firstly. previous packs were stand alone, S4 worlds are all connected. So, I see no reason that switching from one to the other wouldn't be possible.

Secondly, if that's how you feel, why would you even buy this pack in first place?

Thirdly, with every remake of past packs being smaller but more focused, I don't see a huge EDUCATION pack coming in November. That's far too much and I'd rather have all that data space for Uni. Grade school and High school are boring compared to college anyway. There is a possibility that a lower grades education pack might come later, maybe with a home schooling option, but I don't see it being a part of the Uni pack. If it was added, both Uni and lower grades would suffer and have little game play and it would have been a waste because no one will get what they want.
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    TS4 is just disappointing, there is always so much hype for the new packs that are coming out and then you get bored of it within like five minutes and then the cycle repeats itself sksksksksk and i oop
    y'all got bread?
  • Options

Firstly. previous packs were stand alone, S4 worlds are all connected. So, I see no reason that switching from one to the other wouldn't be possible.

Secondly, if that's how you feel, why would you even buy this pack in first place?

Thirdly, with every remake of past packs being smaller but more focused, I don't see a huge EDUCATION pack coming in November. That's far too much and I'd rather have all that data space for Uni. Grade school and High school are boring compared to college anyway. There is a possibility that a lower grades education pack might come later, maybe with a home schooling option, but I don't see it being a part of the Uni pack. If it was added, both Uni and lower grades would suffer and have little game play and it would have been a waste because no one will get what they want.

That's exactly my point - either they would have to take away some things from previous university packs to please players who want something different from previous university packs, or it would be similar to previous packs, and disappointing for people who aren't into the YA party life. You really can't play both at the same time, unless you're a rotational player, which I'm not.

There are some things in previous university packs that I think should be eliminated and replaced with less American options - Greek societies and mandatory dorm life are two big ones. That would allow for a Sim to attend school on a daily basis (preferably with a rabbit hole option), online classes, etc. I have no desire to follow my kids to school, either, but I'd kill for homeschooling and private school options. (Disclaimer - I'm a huge supporter of publicly-funded schools. My Sims, however, are snobs.)
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I'll be interested in seeing how they handle communal living in this pack
    Depending on how they do it I wouldn't be surprised if we see a hotel/motel GP following closely behind this
    Seems to me all they would need would be a front desk and maybe and a bellhop.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Can I make a correction to number 2?

The Sims 4 absolutely can handle all those Sims. The Sims 4 could handle Apartments without loading screens if it wanted to. The Sims 4 itself is fine however, they are tailoring to people with crappy computers. That is why they are making these decisions. MC Command Center allows you to have dozens and dozens and dozens of Sims on a single lot and people handle it just fine. the only reason we're getting these bad builds with barely any Furnishing as well is because they're trying to keep in mind people with low and PCs that can't handle all those furnishings.

It's incredibly frustrating in my opinion even more so because the fact is that the Sims 4 can handle it they just choose not to.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Wasn’t Magnolia Promenade originally supposed to be part of Willow Creek or something? It seems a little unfair to judge it based on that.

Anyway lectures in TS3 were boring, so I really don’t care if classes are rabbitholes.

Community Colleges and online classes would be super cool though. Get a degree with it becoming your entire life! It was honestly really frustrating to have to put the rest of your sim’s lives on hold to get your sims through school.

I would love a community college and online classes option. I just hope they don't replace regular university with community college and online classes, which is something I'm a bit worried about. They need to have both.

Also, if Magnolia Promenade was supposed to originally be a part of Willow Creek, doesn't that sort of prove my point? We either get a small/ no new world, or we get lots of gameplay. There doesn't seem to be anything in between, like getting a nice big world and lots of gameplay. The only pack I can excuse this for is Seasons, because they had to repaint each new world and STILL added lots of gameplay.

Get to work also had the police station, the hospital, and the huge Science center besides the retail.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Movotti wrote: »
    Worst case scenario: we're forced to suffer greek houses, mascots, and cheerleaders. And forced to have our student sims live on campus.

It's about time they gave us more flexible university options.

Sims 3 gave you the college of lifelong learning
    LiELF wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of your points. I feel like this version is going to be a lot tamer than previous versions, it's going to cater to the extremist American social politics of modern youth, and it's going to be positivity focused without challenges. I think they will give it a few modernized bumps, like the ability to take online courses, which will essentially be just another reason to have to watch your Sim sit on their butts at the computer. I can't imagine what benefits that education will bring to careers, except to maybe start your Sim off at a higher level and make them even easier. In a game with very little challenge to begin with, it won't make a significant difference. I don't even think they'll have on site dorms this time, and if they do, they'll be like apartments except smaller, with single rooms, and there won't really be dorm activities because they won't behave like housemates, they'll be all living completely separate lives unless you invite them.

I loved Sims 2 University so much, it was one of my favorite packs. There's no way this is going to come anywhere close to it, especially when personalities and Fears have never been improved/introduced. I'd like to think this would be a perfect opportunity for such improvements, but then, I thought the magic pack might finally be cause for a Fear patch and we still don't have anything like it.

So I'm not hyped in the least. Feeling more dread than anything, I suppose.

It's still my favorite. I go back and play Sims 2 just to send 8 more kids to college when ever I can. I enjoy those Universities the most. It is just like when I went to University. I also later in life went back to college to earn some more degrees and I can tell you community college and college of life long learning is no where as good in real life as going to a full University. Even the education factor rots comparing the two which is not right because both are quite expensive.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited October 2019

I just want teens and ya's going. Maybe have computer classes and night school for players who don't want real colleges of higher learning. Or those who just prefer community college. All that can easily done at home on a sim pc - that way they can leave Uni for the serious college student wanting doctrines and specialties, etc.

I do hope if they choose just one though they do the full University. But it would be better and give players choices if they choose both - stay at Uni the 4 years or home pc choices for the rest.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    @Writin_Reg Long live Sims 2! Lol. I used to have three dorms and two Greek Houses nearly filled with my Sims in one of the University worlds - the French sounding one. I really weighed down my game with so many Sims. What a blast! Wish I could still play that save but I think I destroyed it with cheats and overloaded giant households in the Downtown. :D

One day I'll figure out how to get Sims 2 to play on Windows 10. Good times! <3
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    edited October 2019
    bixters wrote: »
    There will probably only be one new trait, something ridiculously specific like "college savvy," where you get a positive emotional buff from being on campus.

Ouch. That kinda hurt to read because it seems so likely to be true. I really hope it won't be...

• Options
    AlexSimmermanAlexSimmerman Posts: 80 Member
    Unfortunately, University is probably going to get a backlash for two reasons:

1- Because it's the most highly anticipated expansion, hype is super-high so the reality of the game is most likely going to fail to meet everyone's expectations.

2- Most of us agree; the Sims 4's game-play is very limited and superficial compared to previous games. We won't get the content in terms of re-usability, large world, detailed interactions so after a day or two; the community are going to run-out of things to do like we did with Island Living, Real of Magic etc.

I'd really love EA to listen to what game-changers are saying about not getting enough content from their packs
  • Options
    It's a shame that one of the most requested EPs will drop 10 days after Planet Zoo. If Uni doesn't meet expectations, it may signal the end of the Sims.
  • Options
    peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    Universities expansion will probably be okay at best.
    Here is what I think will happen based on previous packs.
    1. Thew new world will be medium-small sized because EA will state that they are focusing on gameplay.
    2. Player can create dorms, or at least place down the shells because EA got major back lash from apartments. NPC will not fill other dorm rooms (you have to move sims there yourself if you want to see other sims).
    3. sims in Fraternities and sororities are able to unlock perks to help them with things like faster homework gain, etc (like with clubs, vampires, witches).
    4. only 1 or 2 new aspiration and traits. Sims 4 never had expansions or gamepacks that added a lot of new traits.
    5. They will finally bring back the pool table.
    6. Classes will be done like acting career in get famous. You can either go to a rabbit hole or attend class with your sim and have to complete goals in a certain amount of time.
    7. Sims who are young adult and older can go to university from any world (they just travel off lot or you follow them to work when its time for class). You don't get dorm experience unless you live in a lot with the dorm lot class.
    8. Sims who are in university unlock the ability to study either from a bookcase or computer (reused animations)
    9. Most new socials created will be reused animations from the base game. Especially socials that involve talking such as talk about teachers, talk about major, etc.
    10. There will be no new content for toddlers and kids except for maybe one or two pieces of CAS clothing. This will most likely be a shirt with a logo on it.
    11. Other than CAS items, since they are the same height as adults, teens will get little or no new content exclusive to them.

I do hope however that the pack is actually decent.
    A few things that I would like to see in this pack are as follows.
    1. bring back pillow fight without restrictions (i.e. kids can pillow fight with adults, etc). Option for 3 way pillow fight, and adults are a lot less likely to do pillow fights autonomously unless they have certain traits (i.e. childish) or if they initiate it with their child or grandchild, etc.
    2. Bring back the ability to play instruments together. Allow kids to also play instruments together with others as well (piano and violin). Sims teen and older could form bands. Add new instruments such as drums and electric guitar instrument.
    3. Add some gameplay for kids and teens. This would be the perfect time to expand on the school system they already have. Even if they don't add the ability to go to class with them they could enhance gameplay with writing papers for extra credit. Studying for tests that appear every certain amount of days. More events/chance cards while at school. Ability for teens to take SAT test and get scholarships for college. Add more after school activities for kids and teens.

True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    sorry just adding my 2 cents here to me university is not a priority on my list that sort of expansion back i would of seen as the last ep before going to sims5 i would much rathere see a retro content expansion pack 1950 to now with clothes furniture and appliances from 1950,1960,1970,1980,1990,2000 to now, and alot of players would love a farming ep me the use of a farming ep while still giving my sims a modern way of life would be to home grow fresh vegetables and fruit fresh laid eggs fresh milk from a cow ect, would also love to see cars added resort hotels and true vacations including sims going on a cruise list is kind of long
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    NevonaNevona Posts: 32 Member
    I think it would be cool if there were 2 different universities that are opposing eachother and sometimes there are sims so invested in their university that they hold a grudge against those who attend their "enemy" uni
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    It's a shame that one of the most requested EPs will drop 10 days after Planet Zoo. If Uni doesn't meet expectations, it may signal the end of the Sims.

But... It hasn't been confirmed. o:)
  • Options
    Actually Maxis has had a huge drive for jobs for the next big Sims game - go to Maxis Careers and see for yourself. That's for Sims 5 looking at all the jobs being offered. So Sims is not going anywhere and until that one is closer to being done neither is Sims 4 going anywhere.

In dreams - I LIVE!