This challenge is based on the history of the United States of America. Most of these rules were written by the writers below, but I have added and removed a few. I also made it slightly more clear and did my best to include all the packs.
I'm sure many of you (if not all) have heard of the Decades Challenge before. I have decided to rewrite it for today! The most recent update to the challenge I could find was by kakeru_naruse on Mod The Sims, found here.
That was based on the original challenge for The Sims 4, buy @ZombieCleo
on the forums. I will be going off both of those for this, but making it more historically accurate and taking all packs into account.Updates
- Jan 6th, 2020 ~ Added updates for Eco Lifestyle, Nifty Knitting, Journey to Batuu, and Snowy Escape.
The 1890s ~ Turn of the 19th Century
- You can make up to two sims- but if you do make two, they have to be married.
- The Sims can wear whatever they want, but it's recommended that you download some historical CC to get the feel of each decade.
- Vampires, Spellcasters, Mermaids, and Aliens are not allowed.
- Using the CAS Stories option is not allowed.
- If you own Seasons, you must start in Spring.
- After leaving CAS, you are allowed to live in all the worlds except San Myshuno. However, it is recommended that you live in Newcrest and build a house to your liking or get a house off the gallery.
- When buying a lot, you can only use one that you can purchase using the starter funds.
- Tiny Homes are allowed if you own the Tiny Living Stuff Pack.
- After you're allowed to take vacations they must be no longer than two days.
The 1900s ~ The "Greatest" Generation
- No female heirs are allowed. If there are no male children, then a female's husband may inherit.
- Sims may only have a romantic relationship with sims of the opposite gender.
- Sims cannot have a romantic or friendly relationship with sims of the opposite skin tone.
- Sims cannot "WooHoo." They can only "Try for a Baby."
- Sims cannot "Try for a Baby" anywhere but their bed.
- Teenage sims cannot "Mess Around."
- No electricity can be used.
- Women take care of the children, tend the garden, clean the house, and cook the food. They are allowed to go jogging.
- Men can only have the Entertainer, Criminal, Military (Strangerville required), Docter (Get To Work required), Teacher (Discover University required), Lawyer (Discover University required) and Engineer (Discover University required) careers. If a sim does not wish to work in one of these three careers, they can stay home and make money through painting, woodworking, and gardening.
- Women are allowed to have the teacher career if you own Discover University.
- You are allowed to own a retail store and a restaurant, but only if you can afford it.
- Sims cannot get a divorce unless one sim is caught cheating on the other.
- If a woman is widowed, she can earn money through painting, gardening, or woodworking.
- If a woman is divorced, she can earn money through the Entertainer career.
- Elementary is mandatory, but high school is optional.
- Deduct 1000 simoleans for every teenage sim who chooses to go to highschool.
- Female children cannot move out until they are married.
- If you own City Living, your sims cannot attend festivals.
- Cell Phones can only be used to invite over sims and to travel.
- Sims are only allowed to use bathtubs. Bathtub-shower combos are allowed, but sims are not allowed to use the shower option.
- All plumbing must be in an "outhouse."
- Only "wooden" furniture is allowed.
- Only "wooden" flooring and wallpaper is allowed.
- The only kitchen appliances allowed are the stove and fridge. Buy the vintage version of both. Any counters are allowed.
- Only impressionist and classic paintings can be displayed on the walls or made. Children can make drawings, but they can only be hung in the children's bedroom.
- If you own Get to Work and your sim gets sick, you are not allowed to give them medicine.
- The only event your sim can throw is a wedding.
- Children born cannot be born at the hospital.
- Mother sims can only feed a baby using the breastfeeding option.
- If you can afford it, you are allowed to hire a butler or a maid. No gardeners, pizza delivery, or nannies.
- If you own Cats and Dogs, your sim can have either. But they must be a stray before being adopted.
- If you own Laundry Day Stuff, your sim is allowed to own a washtub and a clothesline.
- If you own Seasons, your sim is allowed to own a bee box.
- Only male sims are allowed to attend University, and they may only select the following degrees: Villainy, Psychology, Language and Literature, History, Fine Arts, Economics, Drama, Physics, and Biology. Your sim MUST go to University from home and if they have to do a term paper, too bad, so sad, can't be done until Computers are invented.
- Murphy Beds are not allowed.
- Vacations are only allowed to either relatives or in your home neighborhood.
- If you own Snowy Escape, skiing and snowboarding are not allowed (yes, I know they were invented long before the 1890s, but not recreationally)
- Your sims are now allowed to leave the home lot for anything but work.
- Sims are allowed to knit.
- All forms of power, such as solar panels, dew collectors, etc, from Eco Lifestyle are NOT allowed.
- I recommend turning Eco Footprint off for this challenge. If you choose not to, set this one via cheats to Industrial.
- Sims are not allowed to climb Mt. Komorebi
The 1910s ~ World War I
- Men may now have the Business (Management branch only), and Culinary (Chef branch only) careers, as well as those listed above.
- Women who are widowed or divorced cannot work in the Business or Culinary careers- only careers allowed for men in the previous decade.
- Electricity in the form of lamps is allowed.
- Indoor plumbing is now allowed.
- The cheapest computer can now be bought, but it can only be used for writing. Everything else is NOT allowed.
- Your house can now have wallpaper.
- The phonograph is now available for music.
- Your sims can now go on vacation.
- By the end of this decade, your cowplant should be fully grown.
- Murphy Beds are now allowed.
- Men may now have all University degrees listed above, as well as Communications and Culinary Arts.
- Optional Eco Footprint is set to Industrial
The 1920s ~ Women's Rights and Prohibition Era
- All males who are aged teenagers through adult, or who become teenagers during this decade, must "leave for war."
- To "stimulate" this wartime, roll a dice one time for each family member after feeding them to the cowplant 1 time. If a sim gets an odd number, feed them to the cowplant again. If a sim gets and even number, they are safe.
- If a sim has experienced wartime, use cheats to give the sim one of the following traits: Gloomy, Hot-Headed, Clumsy, Insane, Mean, Noncommital.
- Men cannot work in their young adult stage and must wait until full adulthood to work.
- Men who are about to go to war have a chance to have a child before leaving.
- Children must go to school. If you choose to send a teenager to school, they must have a C grade or higher.
- Teenagers who get a D or F in school must be sent to another household.
- Men can now work as painters.
- Drywall is allowed.
- Keep the cowplant alive, you'll need it again before long.
- You are now allowed to leave the home lot for recreational activities.
- Industrial Eco Footprint
The 1930s ~ The Great Depression
- Women are now allowed to be heirs, meaning women can now take over as head of household.
- Women can now work in the Entertainer, Culinary (Chef branch only), or the Painter career at any time.
- Women can now attend University (same degrees as the men).
- Your sims are not allowed to order any drinks from a bar.
- Both children and teenagers who go to school must get a C or higher.
- Students who did not get a C or higher must be sent away to another household.
- Young Adults are encouraged to work in the Criminal Career.
- If you own the Movie Hangout Stuff pack, your sims are now allowed to watch movies.
- The radio is allowed.
- The worst quality TV (after the Penguin TV) is now allowed.
- Industrial Eco Footprint
The 1940s ~ World War II
- Everybody in a career loses their job.
- Reduce household funds by 40%, because of the Stock Market crashing and all that.
- To make money, teenagers who do not go to school, young adults, and adult sims must scavenge around the world from 1 day (in-game time).
- Sims can only eat hot-cooked meals once per day. If they get hungry, they must eat food found from fishing, scavenging, or gardening.
- Sims may not join the business career anymore.
- Bills can only be paid after the water has been shut off.
- After one day, your sims may have jobs again.
- Elementary is mandatory, but high school is still optional, though highly encouraged. There is no longer a fee to go to high school.
- All sims who reach Young Adulthood during this decade must have one of the following traits: Gloomy, Mean, Noncommital.
- Your sims are allowed to order drinks from bars again.
- Every sim that "served" in World War I and survived receives a pension of 100 simoleans. Use the money cheat to add 100 for every war survivor.
- Gardening for money is encouraged.
- Sims cannot create medium or large-sized paintings.
- Make sure that cowplant is still in good shape!
- Industrial Eco Footprint
The 1950s ~ The Time When Way Too Much Happened
- Men who are already in the Young Adult or Adult stage when this decade starts must "leave for war."
- To "stimulate" wartime, do what was done in the 1910s. Feed each sim to the cowplant 1 time. Roll a die once for each sim. If a sim gets an odd number, feed them to the cowplant again. If a sim gets an even number, they are free to go.
- Men who become young adults during this decade do not have to leave for war but must get a career.
- If a man survives fighting in the war, you must cheat on one of the following traits: Gloomy, Hot-Headed, Clumsy, Insane, Lazy, Mean, Noncommittal.
- Romantic relationships between sims of opposite skin tones are now allowed.
- Your sims can now have all of the following careers: Athlete (Bodybuilder branch only), Painter, Culinary (Mixologist branch only), Secret Agent (Diamond branch only), and Detective (Get To Work required).
- Sims can still only eat one hot meal per day. All other hunger must be satisfied by scavenging, fishing, or gardening.
- Single women or teenage girls must get a career. If a woman gets married, they have the option of quitting and becoming a housewife.
- Elementary is mandatory, highschool is highly encouraged though still optional.
- Sims can now take medicine when they become sick.
- Every house must have a radio and someone must listen to it for at least 1 hour every day.
- Every house must now have a garden with at least four plants.
- Teenage jobs are encouraged.
- Sims may now get an Art History degree at University.
- Industrial Eco Footprint
The 1960s ~ Civil Rights Movement and Sexual Revelation
- The following careers have been unlocked: Athlete, Writer, and Business.
- Since the Korean War happened during this time, eldest male and eldest female under the age of elder must "leave for war."
- Both children get fed to the cowplant. Roll a die one time for each sim. If a sim gets an odd number, feed them to the cowplant again. If a sim gets an even number, they're safe.
- If a sim has experienced wartime, use cheats to equip one of the following traits: Gloomy, Hot-Headed, Clumsy, Insane, Lazy, Mean, Noncommital
- Since the "Baby Boomer" era was during this time, every sim must have at least two children during the Young Adult life stage.
- If you own City Living, your sims can now live in apartments.
- Sims can now eat unlimited hot meals.
- Elementary and high schools are now both mandatory.
- Your sims can now have the three cheapest TVs.
- There are television restriction times: Your sims can only watch TV from 6 am to 9 pm.
- Showers are now available.
- Adoption is now available (Cats, Dogs, and Children)
- Every sim that "served" in World War II and survived gets a 250 simolean pension.
- You can now hire nannies.
- Having many children and large families is encouraged.
- Houses can now have carpet and brick flooring.
- Houses can now be decorated with any kind of painting.
- Patterned flooring is now available.
- Private pools are now available.
- Recreational Skiing and Snowboarding is now allowed.
- Sims may now climb Mt. Komorebi
The 1970s ~ End of Vietnam War and Environmentalist Movement
- Marriage between sims of opposite skin tones is now allowed.
- The following careers have been unlocked: Secret Agent, Astronaut (Space Ranger branch only), and Scientist (Get to Work required).
- Mothers with careers may take maternal leave during third trimester or after the baby is born.
- Your sims can now "WooHoo." They no longer have to "Try for a Baby."
- Teenagers may now "Mess Around."
- Every sim who "fought" in the Korean War and lived will receive a pension of 250 simoleans.
- Better radios are now available.
- You can now have fancier sofas, beds, tables, chairs, and stairs.
- Tea Brewers are now available.
- You may now go on vacations everywhere except Batuu.
The 1980s ~ The Yuppie Decade
- The first two children to reach Young Adulthood during this decade, regardless of gender, must be sent off to war.
- You know the drill by now, feed them to the cowplant and roll a die, blah blah blah.
- Assuming these sims have been to "war," give them one of the traits from the list you probably have memorized by now.
- Environmentalist Movement ~ Anybody born during this decade must have one of the following traits: Active, Self-Assured, Loves Outdoors, Outgoing.
- Sims are now allowed to have romantic relationships with sims of the same gender.
- Microwaves are now allowed.
- Coffee machines are now allowed.
- Plastic furniture is now allowed.
- You can now have better stoves, fridges, sinks, and showers.
- Dishwashers are now available.
The 1990s ~ Globilization
- The following jobs have been unlocked: Tech Guru (Start-Up Enteurpreteur branch only).
- At least one sim per household must be in the Business career.
- Anybody born during this decade must have one of the following traits: Ambitious, Self-Assured, Materialistic, Snob, Perfectionist.
- Every sim who fought and survived the Vietnam War will receive a 250 simolean pension.
- Cell phones are now allowed with 0 restrictions.
- Computers may now be used for playing games.
- All TVs with NO FLAT SCREENS are now allowed.
- Television has a time restriction still. Your sims can only watch TV between 6 am and 2 am each day.
- Your house can now have marble flooring.
- Sims may now get a Computer Science degree.
The 2000s ~ The Starting Point and 9/11
- All careers that weren't' before have been unlocked.
- Two days before the end of the decade, the family must prepare for the Y2k disaster.
- You must build a temporary safe house/shelter using only the cheapest furniture.
- The entire family will live in this shelter until the next decade begins, starting on Thursday.
- Children are not allowed to go to school during the Y2k time.
- There can not be a computer in the Y2k house.
- Men can now take Paternity leave after their child is born.
- There are no restrictions on how fancy your sinks, showers, fridges, or stoves can be.
- Your sims can now use a computer for socializing.
- Treadmills are now available.
The 2010s ~ We're Here
- Computers can now be used for anything.
- Flatscreen TVs are now available.
- There are no longer any restrictions on the electronics you can own.
- All fitness machines are available.
- There are no restrictions on fancy furniture.
- No restrictions of flooring type.
- No restrictions on the wall type.
- Since the 9/11 terrorist attack happened during this decade, roll a die once for every sim. If the die lands on a 6 for the sim, feed them to the cowplant and kill them.
- If a sim in the household dies during the attack, all other sims that are currently in the household must have the gloomy trait.
To win, you must get one family through all... um... through all the different decades.
- Sims can now marry sims of the same gender.
- No restrictions on anything. You're even allowed to go to Batuu, you won, do whatever you want.