Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 Babysitters: Yay or Nay? Let's VOTE

Comments

• ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Yay! - I can always rely on a babysitter in TS3 to get the job done.
    Always is a pretty strong word, lol! Sometimes though. I've definitely had a lot of good luck in that area. I've had ok-ish to good babysitters. I often use them and can only recall two or three who were horrible.

I remember one who would not feed the one crying toddler bawling his eyes out in the floor because he was hungry but would only deal with the quiet ones whose needs were all stable. He took the other toddler, whose needs were all stable or good except for energy, put said toddler in a high chair, and gave him a meal while the toddler who was actually hungry was still crying in the living room. Then when that toddler inevitably made a mess, just left him there in the high chair throwing tantrum. Then he went up stairs to the baby who just woke up, took him out the crib, and want down stairs, walking right past the hungry toddler and sat the baby in the swing and turned it on high. All those kids were upset. I got rid of him.

That was the worst one I ever had. The rest were decent. I just had one recently who took such good care of the kids I gave him a small makeover (still need to finish that) and saved him to use again. And even though he was already a good babysitter I changed a few of his traits to make him even better. He was also mumbling to himself occasionally and freaking me out, lol. I think originally he was neurotic or insane, maybe both. But as I was changing the undesirable trait(s) it occurred to me that I could've been doing that with the mediocre or those few bad babysitters instead of just sticking with them or firing them.

His name is Igor. Took care of 3 toddlers at once at one point and neither toddler's mood ever got lower than yellow and became friends or good friends with every kid he babysat.

45h3ps8.jpg

XmDhzJq.jpg

0qhxpBr.jpg

My problem is usually maids. It's so hard to find a good maid. :tired_face:

I recently had one who started out alright and eventually just showed up, did one thing like put dirty clothes in a hamper or make one bed, then left for the day. I had actually forgot I hadn't fired her until this moment.

LeaUwAc.png

She bolted out the building so fast! :joy: I forgot that could happen.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • EarcatEarcat Posts: 461 Member
    Nay - They're so useless I'd sooner trust my child with Countess Snypes or Agnes Crumplebottom!
    Babysitters are useless and overpriced. I wish I could fix the sim's TV so when the babysitter ignores the screaming baby and watch TV instead, they'd get a big shock.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Nay - They're so useless I'd sooner trust my child with Countess Snypes or Agnes Crumplebottom!
    They're just so useless. Right now in my current game if I do use a babysitter they go play with the oldest kid who is perfectly capable of taking care of himself. And just ignore the youngest as she screams for food. Or did I guess thankfully I'm past the babysitter stage now. Or they'll just.stand there like "it's crying what do I do with it?" Maybe pick up a paper route instead of babysitting then, kid. Sometimes they don't even come into the house the whole time they're there. I've seen them just like stand on the lawn and maybe take a dip in the pool.

Oh and how they either bolt away when you're like a block from home. Or they never leave, ever. Like you little brat who just neglected my children for hours get lost. I don't want to see you because I don't like you because you're useless. And you're in the way while I'm trying to fix your mess. Just go home.

Thankfully with my CAS addiction and the fact that I usually plop whatever sims I make into my current household until I can be bothered to kick them out to be in their own there's almost always somebody in the house who can look after the littles.

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    I've never had an issue with babysitters. It's usually Candy or Davy and they take great care of the children. And haven't stolen anything (that I've noticed).
  • SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    I don't really like taking care of kids, so when I hire babysitters I don't really pay attention to what they do. HOWEVER, I noticed that when my sims left the kid's social need is in the red and when they came back it's still in the red. So basically the babysitter only feeds and changes diapers, but don't take care of its social needs. So.. when I come back I still have to deal with a screaming toddler and threats from the social workers.
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I have never noticed klepto babysitters. Whoops.

Babysitters are better than sims 2 nannies, all they do is make jello and ignore the kids pretty much and apparently they don’t know when to leave. Believe me sims 3 babysitters are a dream compared to them!

I guess TS2 nannies and TS4 ones are very much alike then. I feel like all they ever do is cook as well unless my toddler actively requests proper child care.
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 816 Member
    I have had Babysitters who arrive at my lot then decides they would rather go to the park, play video games, watch television or raid the fridge than babysit a screaming and crying baby or toddler. One time I had hired a Babysitter for one day to babysit an alien child while the alien's stepmother, half-siblings and father was at work and school. The Babysitter arrived, and as soon as he turned up he decides he would rathe be at the park; I had to send the oldest child home just to babysit his half-brother as the Babysitter had decided being at the Spring Festival was better than babysitting an alien toddler. I only hired a Babysitter once more after that. I try to avoid Babysitters at the best of times (I have avoided Babysitters in The Molyneux Redux even when Daphne was a toddler; I simply kept Rhea, the mother, at home until her youngest aged up to child; plus I had the father and the oldest son to help out with taking care of Daphne. Nobody have interacted with the Babysitters at all even at Prom; that was a reason why I hated Prom as my teens always get the Babysitters and Babysitters at Prom was the reason why the first attempt at The Oakley Legacy failed on the heir's generation. Marcus, the heir, was supposed to go with a redhaired female Sim named Naomi while his sister Rose was supposed to go with a male Sim named Percy. Story Progression decided to pair Naomi and Percy up and the heir and his sister with Babysitters). Nowadays, if I have to hire a Babysitter, I make sure the toddlers have learned the basic three toddler skills and a few toys to play with, and sometimes I use a Sim who works in the afternoon to take care of the toddlers as by the time the Sim leaves for work the family starts to return home and the toddler has been dealt with.
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Wow! It's amazing to see so many Simmers have had negative experiences with their babysitters. Of those who voted 'Nay', I wonder how many actually spent time with their sitters or got to know them.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    Well, usually you hire a babysitter because you don't have time to spend with your child, let alone with the sitter. The sitters usually leave as soon as you set foot on your lot. The reason why I know the klepto sitter who is on call at the moment is because the game glitched out. He was hired automatically, although the butler was at home. He didn't have anything to do, and when the family came home, my sims engaged him in conversation to keep him from stealing anything.

Anyway, from a certain point on, the butler is even the cheaper option, especially if you also call for a maid from time to time.
    I wasn't suggesting getting to know them while they are 'in service'. Although, that is a possible thing to do if your Sim isn't in a hurry and doesn't run off of the lot before or immediately after the sitter has arrived. I meant getting to know them in social ways, invites over, phone calls that sort of thing.

I've also had the sitters with the klepto trait who didn't steal a single thing. I know they have the potential to do it, but none have actually walked off with any of my Sims stuff and I don't change NPCs traits. Then again, maybe I'm just luckier than most when it comes to getting great babysitters.

I personally don't use maids or butlers, just not into the whole servant thing. So, I have no opinion about what kind of job they could do with the children.
    Given they are all clones in my game, no, I have no interest in socializing with them. They are homeless and only exist the moment they are needed.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,921 Member
    Some babysitters are good. Others do nothing useful and still others kidnap the babies.

However, if I do come across a good one I'm tempted to kidnap them myself and add them to the household as a playable sim.

Right from the beginning of my playing Sims 3 back in 2009 I have made my own babysitters as live in nannies. I carefully choose traits that I think will make a sim suitable for the task. I can never remember what these traits are so there is probably a bit of variety in the traits my various live in nannies have. I find, doing this ensures there is always someone to help with the toddlers and babies - most of the time at least.

In one of my current households, the mother made her Imaginary Friend real and the Imaginary Friend has stayed in the household as a live in babysitter.
    @Karritz - I do 'free' the sitters once they are no longer needed. Sometimes, I wait for them to age up and other times I just add them to my household as teens. For the most, they just keep their friendships with my Sims going. I still invite them to the birthday parties of the kids they used to watch. Other than that, they just move on with their lives and I get to see them now and again out and about in town.
  • TroyTalksTroyTalks Posts: 103 Member
    Someone mentioned kidnaping. I didn't know babysitters could do that! Ironically, I think they would bring my twin toddlers roght back after 5 minutes of being alone with them.
    giphy.gif
    @TroyTalks Years ago there used to be a lot of posts about babysitters kidnapping babies. Once, I actually caught the babysitter heading off home (leaving the lot) with the baby. I managed to get that one back.
    @TroyTalks and @Karritz - I may be wrong but, I thought the issue with that was the sitter's que being canceled while holding the child when the parents returned. That's why I won't let the parents step a single foot on the lot until I see that the sitter isn't holding the child.

Still, It may surprise some to know that babysitters aren't the only ones who will walk off with your kid. I don't know how often this happens but, if your Sim isn't paying attention to their infants and toddlers on community lots, sometimes the townies will make off with them.
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    I guess the store baby monitor has helped me a lot. Getting the baby/tot stuff from the store was a high priority for me early on. My babysitters do OK, even with the Dislikes Children trait.

However, I recently began to have random/new adults do the job because I set up babysitters for inactives (I "needed" it probably due to other mod settings) which means I need more babysitters. Now those teens won't be babysitting during school hours, which felt wrong and happened a lot. I theoretically like the teens though, and they did OK.

It's probably all thanks to the baby monitor. I set those up all through the relevant houses.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    Nay. I always make sure someone is home with the toddler. Thank God for the daycare in TS4.

When I played TS4 and sent a toddler off to daycare, his needs were not met at all, but that was before daycare was patched. It still bothers me thinking of little aged-down Alexander neglected so and his parents charged money for nothing. They then got Nanny Nakamura. Ahhhh, another TS4 quirk, so many Nakamuras.

I prefer TS3 babysitters. :D;)
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I don´t often use babysitters (always big families), but I guess I always got lucky - they were all decent. I did make sure the toddler (never let a baby be sitted) was potty trained at that point and their needs were up, so there wasn´t actually that much that could get wrong.

Screenshot-x248.jpg
    I kidnapped this one because he was so endearing. He actually married that toddler. Um. Later.

Sims 2 nanny is creepy and my sims always have to hunt her down to make her acually leave.
    Sims 4 nannies more often than not glitch out on me. Daycare is okay, but is lost time for skill building.
    So Sims 3 wins (as usual).
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    I didn't vote because I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle, between the 2 alternatives. Some babysitters are good, some are useless and the rest are mediocre.

Karritz wrote: »
    @TroyTalks Years ago there used to be a lot of posts about babysitters kidnapping babies. Once, I actually caught the babysitter heading off home (leaving the lot) with the baby. I managed to get that one back.

@Karritz - Did that happen before or after the first patch, which was supposed to fix that horrible bug? I have been playing TS3 for almost 8 years now, and so far I've never seen it in any of my games.

quOsgTl.jpg
    mw1525 wrote: »
    @TroyTalks and @Karritz - I may be wrong but, I thought the issue with that was the sitter's que being canceled while holding the child when the parents returned. That's why I won't let the parents step a single foot on the lot until I see that the sitter isn't holding the child.

Still, It may surprise some to know that babysitters aren't the only ones who will walk off with your kid. I don't know how often this happens but, if your Sim isn't paying attention to their infants and toddlers on community lots, sometimes the townies will make off with them.

@mw1525 - NOOOOO!!! :cold_sweat: That's terrible! :rage:
    @SuzyCue72 I can't remember when it happened exactly. But it was after I started playing my Big Game which I couldn't do until after I added mods to my game and I didn't start adding mods until after Sims 4 was released. I'd never seen it happen before. I've been playing regularly since June 2009.
  • TroyTalksTroyTalks Posts: 103 Member
    @mw1525 Wow. Kidnapping babysitters - that takes "kleptomaniac" to a whole new level. And also reaffirms that I made the right vote. :D It's actually strangely interesting for storytelling purposes. Like would the children just disappear or simply be taken to the NPC's home - assuming babysitters live in the town and aren't homeless?
    giphy.gif
    They are homeless, which is the issue. Children in town are easy to recover, homeless ones not so much.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2019
    The babysitter "kidnapping" issue is an example of poor programming. Yes, it was fixed by a patch early on but from player reports we can only conclude that a later one broke it again. The babysitters aren't stealing the toddlers and babies on purpose or due to kleptomania, but whatever it is that is supposed to be gating them (a programming term) from leaving the lot while they still happen to be carrying the toddler and/or not realize that they are no longer in charge of taking care of the toddler does not always function.

NPC babysitters are always homeless teens, so there isn't any "home" for the toddlers and babies to arrive at even if we have LN apartments set up to emulate what only looks like "homes" for the homeless NPCs to hibernate in. The homeless virtual household cannot accept toddlers or babies, so the issue becomes game-breaking when the player needs to get their sims' kids back and cannot.

Then again, we could look at the glitch as a requirement of good parenting on the part of the player. Don't let babysitters leave your home lot until you do a head count of your kids and examine what might be in the babysitter's arms at the time. We all have plenty of tools to stop them from doing so once we notice in time, even if players without mods have to resort to a quick resetsim cheats console command.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @SuzyCue72 - Yep, townies will on occasion pick up a kid that isn't theirs and leave the lot. I don't know what happens to the kids or if their parents come for them. I accidentally screenshot Boyd Wainwright making off with a child that wasn't his in one of my games. I posted it in this thread to show that it can happen.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/967339/homeless-sim-abandons-child-to-active-household#latest

@TroyTalks - I have not had a babysitter try to walk off with my kids so I can't speak on that one. I have had a few townies get overly 'attached' to my toddlers. I learned when this happens, if you make the toddler active, you can click on the Sim and ask to be put down. As far as babysitters go, I agree with igazor, just peek in and see where your kids are before having the parents step foot on the lot.