Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The I'm Bored Thread

Comments

• thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    What next? Is Sims 5 just going to have our sims go to "Another Dimension" at the end of their lifespans?!

Pfft dead sims get sent off to "the shadow realm" in Sims5 where "nothing bad ever happens ever at all never definitely not"

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited October 2019
    Just I'm... boring. I mean I told so many stories since The Sims 2, I've got the blank page syndrome.

I still enjoy the game but my imagination is gone, I can't build a new house, create a new sim or tell a new story.
    Right now I'm in "Tell me a story" mode, I still want to control the story like Life Is Strange but not everything like The Sims... I'm lazy.

Tired of being God ? Maybe.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    LOL. Sometimes, now and then it would be cool if the game actually threw me a curve ball that I would have to deal with, rather than handing me a pink sheet of paper, and a stylist/pen and then tossing me some sparkles and telling me, we are creating a creative space...maybe I just want to actually play the game, if there was one.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    To be honest, was hoping ROM magic users would be more like Merlin or Galdalf that Harry Potter. Crum, even Zatanna would be better. They have taken away the game's soul, and when the soul is gone all that remains is a lifeless body.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2019
    To be honest, was hoping ROM magic users would be more like Merlin or Galdalf that Harry Potter. Crum, even Zatanna would be better. They have taken away the game's soul, and when the soul is gone all that remains is a lifeless body.

I feel like RoM was rushed like hell. I don't like it....it seems very uninspired, repetitive, it lacks gameplay, ahem....new gameplay, and it doesn't make playing sims with magic fun. It just makes everything too easy, it doesn't feel like they made it to be played with, and to have fun with it but to serve as some sort of mega cheat code. In TS1 I still had to take care of my sim's needs even though they did magic. It helped a lot but it didn't make them massively OP.

Makin Magic added so many spells that you had to get ingredients for...and it took time, the animations were funny, the spells were funny, the gnomes and the pet dragon were funny. It was such a fun take on the whole magic thing. But wadduya know, they had to go with the dumb "Harry Potter" style because teenage girls. It doesn't match the game.....it doesn't match this game. I complained about it when Supernatural came out, many people did, and yet, they did it even worse this time. And when you put that together with bad game design, boy do we have a recipe for terrible. And the BG doesn't help. They could have made a spell combat system that works like in Makin Magic where you need the right combinations or counter spells to beat the opponent but...nope, probably too hard and expensive.

I don't know, I don't see the point in prolonging this game's life if they are going to deliver worse content compared to 3 years ago and even then it wasn't astounding. Here's hoping the next year will have some actual good content after all the criticising some influencers have done. It's clear that they do not read the forums or even reddit, only twitter. Not sure any hope can be put into University. If I was a guru I'd be beyond frustrated with my job knowing how rushed things have to be released. The RoM patch introduced so many bugs it's crazy.

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited October 2019
    This generation of players wouldn't play Makin' Magic, it would be too hard. Not an opinion, just look at facts of what people say. Any time there is something a bit more complicated than just clicking on something, we see complaints, it's too hard, too annoying, too mean, abusive and time consuming.

There were complaints in TS4 that something (skill) I can't remember which one, (C&D pack) was taking too long. I can't imagine they would want to play a pack where you had to sit and spin a golden thread more times than just once, just to be able to trade it for something else in Magic Town, in order to work on a different skill so your Sim could 'practice' dueling so you could earn one or two gold coins, just so you could have like a million gold coins to buy a home in Magic Town.

I don't think they would survive it. :o Good times, especially the duels.

I also don't believe they would enjoy (like I did) finding out if you tried to put a spell on a townie in the main world you got a surprise,... they had magic, too, and turned your Sim into a frog even before you get the wand out, don't mess with townies, lol.

I can imagine I would read, 'that mean townie knew magic and turned my Sim into a frog. That's not fair! I was going to zap their Sim with spell but they got my Sim first! that's not fair!.' :'(

I also don't think they would enjoy the mean gnomes old man Lum was building. 'That mean gnome ruined my garden! I hate that Makin Magic pack!' :p

Easy Street is where TS4 lives.

Oh, and yeah, I don't think they would churn butter several times just to be able to spin a golden thread to be able to do the other stuff I stated. I have no doubt I would see complaints 'Why are you making it so hard, I just want to duel!'. lol

And the answer would be, go ahead and duel but your Sim will die. 'What? The game killed my Sims, waaa, that's not fair! I made my Sim duel without any skills and they died! Waaaa, the game killed my Sim.' I took no responsiblity for their life, and the game killed them. :'(>:)

More complaints I know would happen, 'I took my Sim to Magic Town, I wanted to play putt putt, but my Sim was hungry so they had to eat that green, creepy goulish, stew....then they were tired and comfort was too low, but the toad stools only gave 1 point comfort, :'( Waaa Maxis that's not fair! I just want to see my Sim dressed up in a special magic outfit, but I have to take care of them...that's not fair! It's too hard! I don't want my Sim to be human, but super human and never need to eat and or sit down....Maxis build TS4 where I never need to do much for them.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited October 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »
    This generation of players wouldn't play Makin' Magic, it would be too hard. Not an opinion, just look at facts of what people say. Any time there is something a bit more complicated than just clicking on something, we see complaints, it's too hard, too annoying, too mean, abusive and time consuming.

There were complaints in TS4 that something (skill) I can't remember which one, (C&D pack) was taking too long. I can't imagine they would want to play a pack where you had to sit and spin a golden thread more times than just once, just to be able to trade it for something else in Magic Town, in order to work on a different skill so your Sim could 'practice' dueling so you could earn one or two gold coins, just so you could have like a million gold coins to buy a home in Magic Town.

I don't think they would survive it. :o Good times, especially the duels.

I also don't believe they would enjoy (like I did) finding out if you tried to put a spell on a townie in the main world you got a surprise,... they had magic, too, and turned your Sim into a frog even before you get the wand out, don't mess with townies, lol.

I can imagine I would read, 'that mean townie knew magic and turned my Sim into a frog. That's not fair! I was going to zap their Sim with spell but they got my Sim first! that's not fair!.' :'(

I also don't think they would enjoy the mean gnomes old man Lum was building. 'That mean gnome ruined my garden! I hate that Makin Magic pack!' :p

Easy Street is where TS4 lives.

Oh, and yeah, I don't think they would churn butter several times just to be able to spin a golden thread to be able to do the other stuff I stated. I have no doubt I would see complaints 'Why are you making it so hard, I just want to duel!'. lol

And the answer would be, go ahead and duel but your Sim will die. 'What? The game killed my Sims, waaa, that's not fair! I made my Sim duel without any skills and they died! Waaaa, the game killed my Sim.' I took no responsiblity for their life, and the game killed them. :'(>:)

More complaints I know would happen, 'I took my Sim to Magic Town, I wanted to play putt putt, but my Sim was hungry so they had to eat that green, creepy goulish, stew....then they were tired and comfort was too low, but the toad stools only gave 1 point comfort, :'( Waaa Maxis that's not fair! I just want to see my Sim dressed up in a special magic outfit, but I have to take care of them...that's not fair! It's too hard! I don't want my Sim to be human, but super human and never need to eat and or sit down....Maxis build TS4 where I never need to do much for them.

I'm laughing, but it's so much truth it's sad.. :D:D:/
    Origin ID: Peapod79
    edited October 2019
    The cost of the stew would be too high. I think it's like $18 and Sims only make about $5 a day in a low level career. Maxis that stew doesn't even fill up my Sim (eat at home) and I had to buy it and my Sim was broke. I don't want food, or groceries or stuff my Sim needs to cost more than they have in their pockets. Maxis, make Sims so full and so ful of energy all the time and fill the fridge with free food so I can play dress up. Oh , and remove simulations and just let me click on something to see the FX stars and rainbows and my Sim full and no longer sleepy etc. I have other things to do in the game so, no, don't include any motives like they might be human or something. :s Oh, and just remove the simulation of walking to an object (time consuming) and just let me click on it and get whatever I wanted. Just leave the Sim sitting on the couch. Ok, thanks for TS4, I love a game without simulation, life simulation takes too much time.' (sarcasm off).

(back on), and make sure dirty, broken, cheap beds give as much energy as fancy, fluffy pillowed beds do. Ok, Thanks, no need for my Sim to work up to a better bed for more and faster energy, I have to play dress up. Make sure my Sim is just as happy in a $2 decorated home than they would be in a $1,000,000 home. Oh, and please leave out that mean looking social worker who came to get my Sim kids. I didn't feed them or change a diaper, and it was unfair of the game to take them, but that social worker in her suit and skirt really looked mean to me, and abusive please just give me an FX animation and make sure I can't adopt those kids into a different family. You know, I have to play dress up, I don't need to worry about homeless, foster kids.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree @Cinebar. They wouldn’t play the sims makin magic as it would be too hard. But also because it doesn’t look pretty.
    edited October 2019
    I agree @Cinebar. They wouldn’t play the sims makin magic as it would be too hard. But also because it doesn’t look pretty.

The pack is so immersive and many intricate parts it might take years to actually get gold coins, (replay value) (without cheating) that I don't think today's market of players have that much patience nor that much interest in succeeding in a reward well earned. Instant gratification is what TS4 is all about, minus any simulation that might slow down getting that instant gratification. Those many different colored leaves in Magic Town worlds were beautiful to me, for the time. Today it's about less texture and more flat paint.

And we both know there would be complaints about please stop the scary or suspenseful music when that racoon or burglar showed up, and to stop the random phone calls that made the house flood, in TS1, lol. And or the phone calls that told a player the Sim they were playing liked cool colors better. lol Didn't have to change the colors but just a tip they were not as happy as they could be. Scary music would trigger adreneline, and that's not fun for TS4 players to feel a rush of adreneline and apprehension of what might happen next. Rainbows and lollipops are cuter.

The pack is so immersive and many intricate parts it might take years to actually get gold coins, (replay value) (without cheating) that I don't think today's market of players have that much patience nor that much interest in succeeding in a reward well earned. Instant gratification is what TS4 is all about, minus any simulation that might slow down getting that instant gratification. Those many different colored leaves in Magic Town worlds were beautiful to me, for the time. Today it's about less texture and more flat paint.

And we both know there would be complaints about please stop the scary or suspenseful music when that racoon or burglar showed up, and to stop the random phone calls that made the house flood, in TS1, lol. And or the phone calls that told a player the Sim they were playing liked cool colors better. lol Didn't have to change the colors but just a tip they were not as happy as they could be. Scary music would trigger adreneline, and that's not fun for TS4 players to feel a rush of adreneline and apprehension of what might happen next. Rainbows and lollipops are cuter.

I miss the burglar. Actually, everything you've been mentioning! I miss my adreneline rush! Now you've said it, that's what I've been missing in TS4 all along.

I used to actually WORRY when my adult sims (if I was playing a legacy) didn't produce at least 2 heirs by the time they reached the end of young adult, (an heir and a spare) because the threat of death was very real. Especially in TS2 but also in TS3 as well. I worry about nothing in my game now. I'm sure if I left a family on all night and went to bed all I would find in the morning was a couple of dirty teens on their way to school in their jammies and probably unpaid bills.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

To be honest, I think it’s long overdue that The Sims ships with two different gameplay modes. Simulation mode, where the game plays and functions like a challenging life simulator & sandbox mode, where players create their own rules the way they see fit, can freely cheat, etc. Either that, or we should have more difficulty controls in the settings menu. I’m fine if the game, by default, plays like TS4. Just give me the option to make it more difficult for myself so I’m not just sitting there watching the clock run by as my Sims have nothing to do.
    Camkat wrote: »

I miss the burglar. Actually, everything you've been mentioning! I miss my adreneline rush! Now you've said it, that's what I've been missing in TS4 all along.

I used to actually WORRY when my adult sims (if I was playing a legacy) didn't produce at least 2 heirs by the time they reached the end of young adult, (an heir and a spare) because the threat of death was very real. Especially in TS2 but also in TS3 as well. I worry about nothing in my game now. I'm sure if I left a family on all night and went to bed all I would find in the morning was a couple of dirty teens on their way to school in their jammies and probably unpaid bills.

It’s funny you should say that, there are lots of “I accidentally left my sims 4 game running all night” videos on youtube. The one I skimmed through just had the game keep pausing to offer ear buds and career opportunities, the player had to unpause it. Even after a significant period of time left to their own devices, the sims made a lot of simoleans from going to work. The only bad thing that happened was the fridge broke and the water and power got turned off. Oh and they left plates everywhere.

Now if you did that in the sims 1, 2 or 3 I don’t think you would come back to find everyone still alive and well. I don’t know what it says about the state of the game where we have people “accidentally” on purpose leaving their games running to see what happens.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

To be honest, I think it’s long overdue that The Sims ships with two different gameplay modes. Simulation mode, where the game plays and functions like a challenging life simulator & sandbox mode, where players create their own rules the way they see fit, can freely cheat, etc. Either that, or we should have more difficulty controls in the settings menu. I’m fine if the game, by default, plays like TS4. Just give me the option to make it more difficult for myself so I’m not just sitting there watching the clock run by as my Sims have nothing to do.

Exactly. When they nerfed the difficulty of careers and aspirations in the GTW patch, all I could think was, "Why didn't they just give us difficulty modes?" I mean, I LIKED how challenging the aspirations and careers were before the patch, it made getting them completed so much more rewarding! Now? Now I'll do 3 or 4 aspirations on a sim just for aspiration points with little or no effort at all. Most of them are so easy now that you can complete them practically by accident.

And career advancement? It's a joke! all you have to do is level the skills, and you're good. I liked that there were more requirements than just skill levels and friends like in TS2...and now, it's so easy that you actually have to actively slack off or use cheats to KEEP from gaining job levels! We don't even have an option to turn down promotions. Getting money solely from your job without a side-hustle when you're below the max job level is still slow, but the side-hustles are insanely profitable...so profitable that it just makes more sense for a sim to work from home growing dragonfruit or building bathtubs all day than having a regular 9-to-5 if you want to get rich without cheats.

I don't think a "simulation" and "sandbox" mode are necessary. I think we just need a more robust suite of difficulty settings, like how Bravely Default has settings for experience gain, job point gain, and enemy encounter rates so that players can create their own difficulty settings based on how they want to play the game...or, can do things like turn off exp and turn up enemy encounters so they can grind job points without raising their party's overall level and killing the difficulty of upcoming sections of the game just because they wanted to get their newest jobs up to the same level as all of their others due to mild OCD about such things...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited October 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    They could have made a spell combat system that works like in Makin Magic where you need the right combinations or counter spells to beat the opponent but...nope, probably too hard and expensive
    Was thinking of the same thing. Was simple back then, but a bit of fun as player micromanage rock-paper-scissor game. For anyone disaproving of such idea presumambly cause of "requiring player input", the choice of the 'attack' would be randomized if the player doesn't choose for the selected them within running timer. I feel like dueling in Supernatural and ROM can get repetitive because of that, as it doesn't require player input. Then again, the player who has already figured out the systhematics will always be on a win streak. Oh, I know how that could be(en) solved! As your, and other, spellcaster grow and evolves, overtime gradually more and more choices for elements will be unlocked, making it more difficult to discover and learn which spell win to what and lose to what element.

NNpYlHF.jpg
    edited October 2019

It’s funny you should say that, there are lots of “I accidentally left my sims 4 game running all night” videos on youtube. The one I skimmed through just had the game keep pausing to offer ear buds and career opportunities, the player had to unpause it. Even after a significant period of time left to their own devices, the sims made a lot of simoleans from going to work. The only bad thing that happened was the fridge broke and the water and power got turned off. Oh and they left plates everywhere.

Now if you did that in the sims 1, 2 or 3 I don’t think you would come back to find everyone still alive and well. I don’t know what it says about the state of the game where we have people “accidentally” on purpose leaving their games running to see what happens.

Oh yeah, I forgot about dirty plates! Ha! Likely glasses too. My sims have literally everything fun to do in almost every house (because there's so much money) and what do they do when left alone? They go get a glass of water.

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2019
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    I don't think I could bear to get any more packs. Sims 4 as a whole bores me to tears. I prefer Sims 3, and will definitely choose to play Sims 3 on any given day. I chose to take a break from the legacy challenge in my current Sims 4 save, as I ran out of story ideas for my Simblr. Sims 3 will always be my favorite out of the entire Sims series.

I stopped purchasing packs, too. TS4: Island Living is half off at certain retailers, and I still can't bring myself to buy it. $20 for a world pack that offers nothing more than visuals is still too much. It could be $5 and I'd still have trouble convincing myself to get it.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2019
    I don't think I could bear to get any more packs. Sims 4 as a whole bores me to tears. I prefer Sims 3, and will definitely choose to play Sims 3 on any given day. I chose to take a break from the legacy challenge in my current Sims 4 save, as I ran out of story ideas for my Simblr. Sims 3 will always be my favorite out of the entire Sims series.

I stopped purchasing packs, too. TS4: Island Living is half off at certain retailers, and I still can't bring myself to buy it. $20 for a world pack that offers nothing more than visuals is still too much. It could be $5 and I'd still have trouble convincing myself to get it.

Wish I could have been this smart and saved my money. That pack was a rip off, I didn't wait for reviews at the time because I was so hopeful it would have about the same content level as Island Paradise. I regret buying it so much. This is why I'm not touching RoM with a 10 foot pole.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

3 months old and half off already, that's VERY telling about the state at which this game is in right about now...

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

3 months old and half off already, that's VERY telling about the state at which this game is in right about now...

Or that people don't buy packs in those stores as much anymore.

What does it say about GF that I got it for 5€ in May? Just that the retailer was offloading the last remaining copies they had in store.

The game is on sale constantly across pc and console. That’s not a good sign either. How often do you see the sims 3 on sale? Rarely if ever on origin.

I play lots of games aside from the sims. The sims 4 is the most frequent on sale of them all.
    edited October 2019

The game is on sale constantly across pc and console. That’s not a good sign either. How often do you see the sims 3 on sale? Rarely if ever on origin.

I play lots of games aside from the sims. The sims 4 is the most frequent on sale of them all.

True TS4 is always on sale somewhere.

Why don't they give away to TS3 playes who had a registered basegame, (anyone who does) the whole TS3 EP and SPs like they did TS2, because TS3 is still a cash cow. Some of the stores in my area still have the EPs at the same prices, lol, they were years ago, and sometimes, if Origin has an EP on sale for TS3 (or cheaper) it will be cheaper in the stores in my area. But some of that stuff cost just as much as it always did. That says to me, the reaosn they don't give it away as a legacy game of old, is because it still makes them a heap of money and funds other games for them.
    edited October 2019
    I just thought of something that I'm going to post here. Anyone who played Zoo Tycoon back in the day must remember when a fence would erode and break down the animals would escape. lol Sometimes we didn't hire a maintenance person just so there would be trash and animals escaping. >:) It would take awhile for the one zoo keeper (if you were cheap and or had a really huge zoo/land) to get to the animal to crate it so the lions had torn to shreds some of the visitors and all were running from the zoo and leaving bringing down the reputation and no one was going to stay in a zoo with wild animals escaping and tearing up 'sims'. lol

Then came along Zoo Tycoon2, it was no longer a zoo you could do all sorts of things in, like have elephant rides, ( I rode an elephant once when I was young) but a teaching tool to educate the public (players) on being kind to animals, (elephant rides were now bad) fences didn't break down as much anymore, you could just slap some new fence on it as a patch and not need a maintenance guy to run over and do it. And if animals did escape (with your help) you got a message the visitor was not going to view animals that weren't in enclosures. What? No one ran away screaming, the lion or bear didn't tear anyone to shreds, and the zoo keepers were quicker at crating the animal. The only thing that might happen is your star rating would go down temporarily until it was crated. Easy peasy.

Zoo Tycoon2 had new building tools, (everyone love them/terrain tools) better graphics, but the gameplay was lacking, the game was about teaching you about animal abuse and or how to save them, and how to build a proper enclosure all piled up with every sort of toy any animal would ever want. Clutter in enclosures every where. Heck some animals couldn't even eat the grass terrain anymore (their normal diet) but special food had to be purchased and in bowls.....when we know that isn't what happens in the wild.

TS4 makes me think about those games and how much things have changed and has become the game that needs to teach me some lessons..when I can learn those lessons other places and just wanted to play a fun game like I did back in the original Zoo Tycoon where my choices produced some pretty funny and hilarous consequences. I didn't need PETA to build me a game. Lesson- I played TS1 and Zoo Tycoon, and I turned out ok, even if I did kill off some Sims and some visitors to zoos. I'm not going to do any of that and pixels aren't people, nor me, and aren't my real life dogs or exotic animals I may see in my life time.

True TS4 is always on sale somewhere.

Why don't they give away to TS3 playes who had a registered basegame, (anyone who does) the whole TS3 EP and SPs like they did TS2, because TS3 is still a cash cow. Some of the stores in my area still have the EPs at the same prices, lol, they were years ago, and sometimes, if Origin has an EP on sale for TS3 (or cheaper) it will be cheaper in the stores in my area. But some of that stuff cost just as much as it always did. That says to me, the reaosn they don't give it away as a legacy game of old, is because it still makes them a heap of money and funds other games for them.

True, Grant admitted on twitter that sims 3 is still making them money. I think it was in the context of “the game is from 2009 so it’s an achievement” kind of context. Which it is of course. But there are lots of games from around that time that still sell well. In ten years will the sims 4 still be selling well? I highly doubt it.