Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The I'm Bored Thread

Comments

• NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited January 2020
    Lukas11xxf wrote: »
    plum I cant edit my comments to add more context. Freaking hell.

It took me a while to find it but the edit is actually hidden in the cogwheel in your post in the top right corner. If you click, you'll see the option to edit.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I really..really just wanna move on TS5 that it's almost killing me...
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Might want to consider changing your wanna. Unless there is a major change in Sims management and/or the team for the better, TS5 - if it omes out - will be just as bad as 4 and quite likely worse.
    Might want to consider changing your wanna. Unless there is a major change in Sims management and/or the team for the better, TS5 - if it omes out - will be just as bad as 4 and quite likely worse.

Sadly I love this series so much I still have hope TS5 might not suck.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited January 2020

Same.

I have nothing against a Sims game lasting more than 5 years (although I’d say 7 years is the absolute most one Sims game should last). My problem is more so that The Sims 4 just isn’t engaging or innovative enough to keep me playing and paying. I look at the game and I’m just bored. It’s been, pretty much, 5 years of waiting for them to finish playing catch up to the other games with lots of disappointment thrown in every so often. The game lacks sensible design at every corner, and is just a headache to fight its problems/bugs to enjoy it.

They really need to do better with the next base game to differentiate it from the predecessors, too. It feels The Sims 4 is just too similar to the other games that it feels we are just playing a stripped down version of what we already got, with some tiny improvements here and there. And I really don’t think minor improvements warrants shelling out 100s and 100s of dollars for the same content.

I really hope the next Sims game wows us all. I do think by now, it should be possible for us to drop our Sims in vast, evolving, open cities that we can even create ourselves. Worlds should be open, and big enough to the point where we, ourselves, can get lost and have to navigate around through our Sims and maps. At the same time, Sims should be far smarter than they are in TS4, and also evolve as we play them. Ship all of that in a game with good life Sim design and goals that aren’t grindy checklists, and you have a major hit.

With all of that said, judging from the quality of The Sims 4 and the latest packs, it’s just so unrealistic to even expect half of that, it seems. I really hope I’m proven wrong.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2020
    It’s not hope that’s failing me, it’s expectation. I don’t see it happening, because this concept clearly works for them. I wouldn’t mind a game lasting 5-7 years either (I recently celebrated my personal 10 years Sims 3 anniversary, still playing, still constantly discovering new stuff and it’s not like I hardly played the game during those 10 years, understatement). But not when it concerns a real poor/bare/lacking basegame with a boring, badly thought through gameplay setup for the sims and expansion packs that got “we’re tied to some really annoying limitations here so this is all we can give you” written all over it.

ETA: and I fear EA doesn’t find those limitations annoying themselves, they seem quite comfy with them and they can totally focus on nice decoration now, which must be real fun to do; developing the game I suspect is more fun now than playing it, they’re sort of doing what us players should be able to do. Didn’t a dev declare developing for Sims 3 was a pain sometimes? Sorry about that but I’m still so very very much enjoying what you did back then.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2020
    It's not just seven years they have in mind. I thought SGDuke said they are planning five more. That would equal ten years not seven. I'm not sure I can survive ten years of TS4. I have barely been able to bear the first three. Now that the major packs are released (which most of us always expect) I don't think there is anything left I would want to see since TS4 always supplies a watered down version of some previous ideas. Maybe that's not their fault it happens that way, but I have to think it is, because they have meetings of what they want to do, what is feasible and what they like and don't like about a feature. That determines what goes into a pack and let's face it even it if something is feasible but the developing team may feel it's too hard and even if it's not too expensive to do, if they don't like it, it doesn't get into a pack. Five more years of content for TS4 seems overboard to me. It's not WOW. :o
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Oh indeed, I'm convinced they'll drag it on to ten years, that wasn't the point. Like Sk8rblaze however I'd say 5-7 yrs would be an acceptable amount of years for this game. If it would be a good and strong game, which Sims 4 most definitely is not.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Well, I agree five years to me is ok, I sure did want TS2 to go on one more year, I had some ideas I never did get in that version, like carnaval rides, Makin Magic, but witch potions in TS2 were pretty good, but I wanted the magic town back, and I wanted some of the content that wound up in TS3's Roaring Heights for TS2 before TS3 was ever released. I guess the same things happens when TS5 comes out. It will probably have something in it that people will be wishing was in TS4. It never fails. :/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited January 2020
    If they are gonna drag this boring game out...why couldn't they keep a year of TS2?! I mean my god...
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Same.

I have nothing against a Sims game lasting more than 5 years (although I’d say 7 years is the absolute most one Sims game should last). My problem is more so that The Sims 4 just isn’t engaging or innovative enough to keep me playing and paying. I look at the game and I’m just bored. It’s been, pretty much, 5 years of waiting for them to finish playing catch up to the other games with lots of disappointment thrown in every so often. The game lacks sensible design at every corner, and is just a headache to fight its problems/bugs to enjoy it.

They really need to do better with the next base game to differentiate it from the predecessors, too. It feels The Sims 4 is just too similar to the other games that it feels we are just playing a stripped down version of what we already got, with some tiny improvements here and there. And I really don’t think minor improvements warrants shelling out 100s and 100s of dollars for the same content.

I really hope the next Sims game wows us all. I do think by now, it should be possible for us to drop our Sims in vast, evolving, open cities that we can even create ourselves. Worlds should be open, and big enough to the point where we, ourselves, can get lost and have to navigate around through our Sims and maps. At the same time, Sims should be far smarter than they are in TS4, and also evolve as we play them. Ship all of that in a game with good life Sim design and goals that aren’t grindy checklists, and you have a major hit.

With all of that said, judging from the quality of The Sims 4 and the latest packs, it’s just so unrealistic to even expect half of that, it seems. I really hope I’m proven wrong.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member

@Camkat wrote:
    I miss the burglar. Actually, everything you've been mentioning! I miss my adreneline rush! Now you've said it, that's what I've been missing in TS4 all along.

I used to actually WORRY when my adult sims (if I was playing a legacy) didn't produce at least 2 heirs by the time they reached the end of young adult, (an heir and a spare) because the threat of death was very real. Especially in TS2 but also in TS3 as well. I worry about nothing in my game now. I'm sure if I left a family on all night and went to bed all I would find in the morning was a couple of dirty teens on their way to school in their jammies and probably unpaid bills.

This is why I get bored in Sims 4 - I used to actually CARE about my sims in 2 and 3 because there were consequences and 'bad' things that could happen and struggles and memories. Without that - I do not care about my sims, so I get bored and keep starting new saves all the time.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    @Camkat wrote:
    I miss the burglar. Actually, everything you've been mentioning! I miss my adreneline rush! Now you've said it, that's what I've been missing in TS4 all along.

I used to actually WORRY when my adult sims (if I was playing a legacy) didn't produce at least 2 heirs by the time they reached the end of young adult, (an heir and a spare) because the threat of death was very real. Especially in TS2 but also in TS3 as well. I worry about nothing in my game now. I'm sure if I left a family on all night and went to bed all I would find in the morning was a couple of dirty teens on their way to school in their jammies and probably unpaid bills.

This is why I get bored in Sims 4 - I used to actually CARE about my sims in 2 and 3 because there were consequences and 'bad' things that could happen and struggles and memories. Without that - I do not care about my sims, so I get bored and keep starting new saves all the time.

This x1000.

If there's no meaningful failure states or consequences then all of the positivity and success becomes meaningless as well. It's a point I've brought up a lot in the past when talking about the issues with The Sims 4. Another thing I've also pointed out is that Will Wright himself back in 2000 literally said this exact thing regarding the failure states.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,861 Member
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    @Camkat wrote:

This x1000.

If there's no meaningful failure states or consequences then all of the positivity and success becomes meaningless as well. It's a point I've brought up a lot in the past when talking about the issues with The Sims 4. Another thing I've also pointed out is that Will Wright himself back in 2000 literally said this exact thing regarding the failure states.

I have to disagree with this. At least in my case. I've been playing since the beginning and I've never been a fan of failure states. No aspiration failures, no meteor strikes, and no death, just to name a few off the top of my head. And if they did occur there's always the option to exit without saving. Probably sounds boring but it's how I've always enjoyed playing.
    edited January 2020
    Which is why also Sims 4 has an audience that genuinely loves the game. But for me it's also like that: no feeling of fun or success when everything just goes sunshine and rainbows all the time. Like for example school, where I really miss that skipping class all the time and not doing their homework has no other consequence for the sim than not having the ability to choose a trait (I don't know what that's like in Sims 4 by the way). The next day he was invited to come over to the city hall to get his diploma. Sorry..? What diploma? His status was deeply red. I clicked that away and the diploma ended up in his inventory anyway.

And as for not choosing his last trait, the one he got wasn't that bad at all. And I changed it because having the game decide my sim's traits is not my idea of having fun or things being more in depth. He's got some pretty poor traits and some good ones. Traits that suit a guy who couldn't be bothered by going to school (or having a proper job for that matter). I manage to work around it with my imagination, turn my sim into the 'failure' I want him to be (then showing the world you can also live a valuable life without diplomas or a 9 to 5 job), but it would be so much better if the game supported this. In my view, obviously.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,861 Member
    Haha, my sim kids would never skip school so that's not an issue. :p I do recognize many players want consequences.
    Mine neither so far to be honest, he was the first :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited January 2020
    Camkat wrote: »
    The longer TS4 goes on now, the worse it gets. You'd think with everything added it would only get better? I don't remember musical chairs while eating, I HATE that's a thing now. Just sit the fork down and eat already! Nevermind the dog and that hug couldn't wait until after dinner?! I know multi-tasking was supposed to be a selling feature but now with the game so large, it's nothing short of an annoyance. You can't q up anything anymore while they're eating or else they'll take their plate of food out to weed the garden. *eyeroll*

The dishes are annoying now too. They can be standing right next to dishwasher but yet they'll go outside to the other building and upstairs to wash them in that bathroom, nevermind there was also a sink by said dishwasher. *more eyerolls* They drop everything to dance or pushups and they don't/can't even dance together. I can't even have a stereo on the lot anymore or else they will all just dance until they wet themselves then wet themselves and now shower forever and never get clean because of that bug now too.

Situational outfits don't need to be in the game. That's just an unnecessary eye sore. I could live with it if sims actually ever changed out of them, but since they don't, once they are in them the entire town becomes consumed in them and it ruins the immersion completely.

TS4 looks pretty but it is simply the worst installment yet, it started off incomplete and now it's a buggy mess. I don't know how ANY of this is supposed to help us tell better stories and these are certainly not the smartest sims yet (as advertised). I was all for waiting to see how it goes, but this past year it seems there's been more bugs added then ever before. There was a time period in there, about just after Get Famous where I thought this game wasn't so terrible, but it's just gone on a down hill slide since then. Keep pushing out them buggy packs! Don't bother fixing them! At this point, if they make a sims 5, they can keep that too, multi-player or not. No one should NEED mods to enjoy THEIR game and the way TS4 is right now, you basically need them to fix everything they've borked up.

Yeah. I predicted the problem with bugs a long time ago. So said, so done. When EA keeps cranking out pack after pack, there's bound to be bugs and lots of them. The more moving parts that there are, the more likely it is that something will break. TS4 has more moving parts than any prior game in the series. The era of 'at least it works' is long past.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It's not just seven years they have in mind. I thought SGDuke said they are planning five more. That would equal ten years not seven. I'm not sure I can survive ten years of TS4. I have barely been able to bear the first three. Now that the major packs are released (which most of us always expect) I don't think there is anything left I would want to see since TS4 always supplies a watered down version of some previous ideas. Maybe that's not their fault it happens that way, but I have to think it is, because they have meetings of what they want to do, what is feasible and what they like and don't like about a feature. That determines what goes into a pack and let's face it even it if something is feasible but the developing team may feel it's too hard and even if it's not too expensive to do, if they don't like it, it doesn't get into a pack. Five more years of content for TS4 seems overboard to me. It's not WOW. :o

Agreed. Also, am so tired of reading about what they can't do with this game. Every time I hop into a thread, I'm reading about how the devs didn't add a feature because it was too hard or for whatever reason they just couldn't do it. What do you mean you can't do the one thing that your job as a video game developer entails? This probably goes back to building this game on an improper engine; and when they reflect back on their work for TS4, the SimGurus should remember how often they had to turn around and tell their fanbase/paying audience that they screwed up so royally bad that they couldn't deliver on things in the fourth iteration of the game that had been included in previous generations. (Also don't even get me started on how SimGurus sound like they're throwing the rest of the animation/development team under the bus every time they say something can't be done...) And to think they would want to continue this game for a few more years only to present watered down content because of the aforementioned reason of not being capable of carrying out a task...the audacity.
    edited January 2020

Agreed. Also, am so tired of reading about what they can't do with this game. Every time I hop into a thread, I'm reading about how the devs didn't add a feature because it was too hard or for whatever reason they just couldn't do it. What do you mean you can't do the one thing that your job as a video game developer entails? This probably goes back to building this game on an improper engine; and when they reflect back on their work for TS4, the SimGurus should remember how often they had to turn around and tell their fanbase/paying audience that they screwed up so royally bad that they couldn't deliver on things in the fourth iteration of the game that had been included in previous generations. (Also don't even get me started on how SimGurus sound like they're throwing the rest of the animation/development team under the bus every time they say something can't be done...) And to think they would want to continue this game for a few more years only to present watered down content because of the aforementioned reason of not being capable of carrying out a task...the audacity.

It's going to be really interesting how they market TS5 next time, lol. I wonder will their own developers who are so proud of it right now, (and they should be, even in it's sorry bugged state, it's made millions and millions) will they put down TS4 like they have TS2 and especially TS3 and tell players no they shouldn't like those games anymore (TS4) because TS5 is the real deal. lol
    I can't wait to see how that all works out once the game is released and someone complains that TS5 doesn't have something TS4 does have, then listen to them (devs) put down TS4 and say things like we have never seen emotions like this before, or smarter Sims. lol It's going to be a hoot to watch the 180% turn around. Every reason they have defended TS4 now will be a bashing of TS4 after TS5 gets released. And the company will start to bad mouth their own product to get people to buy TS5. lol

And even funnier, I have no doubt players will also do a 180% turn and agree with devs for some odd reason of how poorly TS4 was executed and TS5 is the best game eva. lol But good thing we have print screen on some machines. lol I mean when they said TS2's emotions were not emotions (said we didn't have emotions) but they were good at selling that fiction; I have to wonder what the excuse will be next time. lol TS4's emotions were not real emotions? after beating that drum for years.

It's going to be really interesting how they market TS5 next time, lol. I wonder will their own developers who are so proud of it right now, (and they should be, even in it's sorry bugged state, it's made millions and millions) will they put down TS4 like they have TS2 and especially TS3 and tell players no they shouldn't like those games anymore (TS4) because TS5 is the real deal. lol
    I can't wait to see how that all works out once the game is released and someone complains that TS5 doesn't have something TS4 does have, then listen to them (devs) put down TS4 and say things like we have never seen emotions like this before, or smarter Sims. lol It's going to be a hoot to watch the 180% turn around. Every reason they have defended TS4 now will be a bashing of TS4 after TS5 gets released. And the company will start to bad mouth their own product to get people to buy TS5. lol

And even funnier, I have no doubt players will also do a 180% turn and agree with devs for some odd reason of how poorly TS4 was executed and TS5 is the best game eva. lol But good thing we have print screen on some machines. lol I mean when they said TS2's emotions were not emotions (said we didn't have emotions) but they were good at selling that fiction; I have to wonder what the excuse will be next time. lol TS4's emotions were not real emotions? after beating that drum for years.

Honestly, I'm interested in the marketing too. What are they gonna try to sell us on next time? If it has anything to do with Sim personalities, I'd give a big judging eye because they've done that twice now. I need innovation innovation innovation.
    edited January 2020
    -sees the new stuff pack and facepalms.- They could have easily added this to Discovering University...but...sometimes I am really wanting the urge to hit these gurus over the head with a guitar.

ALSO : Added this reply that I noticed...
    but, I worry that they put in that "knitting" ref. in this, which just kinda confirms my suspensions that the poll was rigged and knitting was gonna win regardless -shrug- I can't help but feel that way.
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    @KaeChan2089 I know, right? It feels as though EA tricked us. I don't like it when anyone doesn't tell the truth.

It doesn't sit with me the right way.....like....they worked for this stuff pack for less than a month? Because the results are THAT old?!?!
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2020
    -sees the new stuff pack and facepalms.- They could have easily added this to Discovering University...but...sometimes I am really wanting the urge to hit these gurus over the head with a guitar.

ALSO : Added this reply that I noticed...
    but, I worry that they put in that "knitting" ref. in this, which just kinda confirms my suspensions that the poll was rigged and knitting was gonna win regardless -shrug- I can't help but feel that way.

I felt the same way after seeing this new stuff pack. A lot of this stuff could have easily been added with DU. Gives me MFPS vibes all over again. Also the knit stuff definitely has me thinking that this community pack vote was rigged in some way. It's all a little too convenient for my liking.
    Post edited by fruitsbasket101 on
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Exactly. As for the first part I bolded: I even think sometimes the fact I have to use workarounds (and am allowed to use workarounds, like creating apartments with roommates) makes it more fun even. Same with the mall I built. My sim's a poor guy, so I created some furniture for him to buy there on sale. Yup, it's cheating in a way, "oh you lucky plum, got your bedroom in a 60% sale, what are the odds", but within limits that's just real fun. He's going to the mall and he's buying his stuff there. It's less advanced than in Sims 2 and 4 apparently, but I don't actually need to run a shop. I'm fine with it this way (and I actually hate it the shelves in the bakery are empty after a while because sims bought everything, just leave it all there please, I don't want having to refill shelves with pies each and every generation :weary: ).

The second bolded part is really recognizable as well lol. I sometimes open my game to take a picture or whatever, or indeed build something. Then test it and before I know it I've been sitting there and played for an hour or so. Sad to say but with Sims 4 it's the other way around. I planned to play, then quite often quit after 20 minutes. Not always, but that has happened a lot. I should add that also Sims 3 could have been so much better in this respect. I'm having so much fun with Mastercontroller, that allows me to adjust details. Get my sim's sister and her boyfriend with child for instance, or change outfits when they're still in their party clothes, or (in IP) their swim wear. Mastercontroller hands the player control over what they want to control. It shouldn't have been a mod, it should have been something EA came up with.

The bolded part I agree with especially. I had hoped that sort of detail would start making it's way to The Sims by the game makers instead of the game modders. I expected it not to but I didn't quite expect just what The Sims 4 would bring to the table and what it'd leave at the kitchen or even the grocery store. To me, at this point certain options Mastercontroller allowed should've been officially added like controlling population of species, controlling family funds, adding skill levels, gender preference, increasing or decreasing starting family funds, and much more. Those are the kind of things that make it easier to set the story I want to tell. I can either dive right in and play as is, I can weaken them more, or strengthen them more. I still hope for something close to that in Sims 5 but at this point I don't expect much.

I'm not surprised they want to carry on for a total of 7 to 10 years with a Sims game. Although I don't have a problem with a new game every 5 years or so, if it's done right and they stay on top of bugs then I could see a game deserving to last at most 7 years. Sims 4 however, no. I feel like if they're going to try and go that far with a Sims game they should start over from scratch. And they should reevaluate how they do packs and put out content, where it feels less like we're piecing together several packs to add up to what used to be 1 pack.

I've read that it's supposedly going to be a huge year for The Sims and they have exciting new things coming up in 2020 and to expect the unexpected and it's also the 20th anniversary of The Sims but I don't know. Unless there's a base game overhaul I think they may have a few things that genuinely surprise some of us and may make us smile but so much has been a let down that I expect whatever they have up their sleeve to ultimately be a let down as well.

At least it'll be fun for those who love the game as is but I really hope that whatever they have planned for a 20th anniversary involves all the games. Maybe a limited time release of the complete Sims 1 and Sims 2 and Sims 3 can finally gets some more discounted store pricing and a re-release of the branded content (a long shot but I can dream lol). Please don't let it be that our sims in Sims 4 can play all 3 previous Sims games on all their devices and that's the only nod to games before.
    KqGXVAC.jpg