Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The I'm Bored Thread

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    80 mods to play TS4? That's so sad. In all these years I still only have three or four mods in TS2 and none that actually change the mechanics of the game, other than one to stop witches from appearing in OFB owned business lots. The other few I have are just enhancements, such as coat rack to get some free clothes at home, (for video purposes/machinima) and to add more walk bys and traffic. Nothing really that actually fixes anything, not at all, not necessary, and none to change how the game plays.

I would be hitting my head on my desk if I had to use mods to fix a game to play it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2019
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I was actually going to buy Discover University after turning my back on purchasing anything TS4 for the last couple of DLC packs, but even with a retailer offering it 50% off, it was hard to convince myself to and I ultimately purchased another game which I'm having a blast in.

I was hoping the roommate system of DU would add some fun depth, but then I just kind of asked myself... why bother? I have Apartment Life in TS2, with a better roommate system, and an even better apartment system. It's just as much fun to play around with as it was in 2008. 11 years ago. Crazy how that level of quality can't be at least matched nearly a decade later from this studio.
    The roommate system is only enjoyable when you have a game with interesting sims and Sims 4 just is not that game. In Sims 3 it's just really funny to see how roommates are all behaving with all their different personalities, and I bet that's even better in Sims 2. One would expect they'd have focused on improving and refining personalities over the years, but they made other choices. Alas.

Agreed.

It’s unfortunate they didn’t quite reach their goal of smarter Sims with The Sims 4, and more so given that was one of, if not the biggest, selling points they were rolling with.
    Exactly. Their biggest mistake has been to tie the emotions to objects and make it work the very same way for each and every sim, regardless their traits. Which was lazy designing. Mind you, not saying the devs were or are lazy (I'm sure they spent and spend a lot of time and effort on other things), but the way they designed this was. (lazy in the meaning 'easy', not very complex)

And at the end of the day the characters in this game should be top priority. They kind of forgot that when they created Sims 3 and when they tried to fix that when they started developing Sims 4 - because people complained - they completely missed the mark. Everything in Sims 4 is for show and every simmer who plays the game will feel that (whether they mind or not is a different matter). When sims get emotions because of actions or reactions, the game will never get boring because that works like a lighter, it triggers the mind. When they get those emotions just by passing by some aura, that becomes boring pretty quickly because it's predictable and there's no logic in it. There's nothing you can do with that other than 'use' it. Which you don't always feel like, especially when the emotion doesn't make sense.

"Smart" is an interesting term by the way. How smart do we want them to be? Not too smart afaic, I need this to be a game, not a television show where all the characters can manage everything on their own. We need them to be smart in the sense that they link things happening to them or how other sims treat them. When a neat sim makes their bed autonomously, that's smart because it suits their character. They'd do that. If they all do it, that's not smart. That's some programmed game mechanic.

(wonder how that mod people mention works by the way, how they managed to give those sims their personality back)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    @Cinebar Yep, eighty mods. I use mods that stop many, many of the autonomous actions such as the constant hugging and flirting, toddler glitches, grabbing glasses of water, a few for the pets to stop their fears and allow shorter walks for the dogs, stops the spawning of homeless pets, one to stop sick and dirty pets from roaming around Brindleton Bay. I use a lot of those kinds of mods because those features make me nuts after seeing them for four years. I also use quality of life mods that add more to the features I do like but now those have more purpose such as adding fun and hygiene to swimming, to name one. I use ten mods just to help the restaurants work as they should. Another group of mods so I can choose which Sims I want to fill certain NPC jobs and make sure these Sims have the skills they need to perform those jobs. It also cuts down on the number of random Sims the game generates to fill those jobs and I have the ability to create my own NPCs in CAS then add them to the game. It's nice seeing those familiar faces behind the bar making drinks or serving food to my Sims in a restaurant. From stopping the crazy clothing choices the townies always wear, to making the basketball games last longer, I have mods that nuke a lot of stuff that irritates me, fix what the devs broke but can't, or won't, do anything about, or expands on a feature that wasn't done very well.

I didn't use but maybe five mods with Sims2. Sims3 needed a lot of help just so I could play it with as many glitches as it had. Sims4 is a different case because we've lost some of our control over what happens, and the gameplay features were not fleshed out so they feel incomplete. But it is a bit of work to make sure these mods play together nicely. That's why I won't be buying RoM or DU this year. I lost weeks of playing time after IL was released, and I am not going through that again. Once the teams or the modding community have fixed the bugs and put an end to what I find irritating, I will buy those packs. At half price and not a penny more. We have a number of top notch modders for Sims4, and I am very grateful to them because I doubt I'd be playing Sims4 without their mods. Right now my game is in a good place, and I am having a lot of fun playing again. But it needed a lot of help to get to this point.
  • FantasytalesrusFantasytalesrus Posts: 17 Member
    I'm a gazer, I tend to play the game for a short while, stop playing for a few years then check out what's happening in the Sim's world. Then it gets super fun
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Eighty mods??! No game should need that amount of mods to make it fun and to stop annoying behaviours.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Eighty mods??! No game should need that amount of mods to make it fun and to stop annoying behaviours.

I agree. Though sadly I have found that this game does need an excessive amount of them to be played the way a lot of people want to play it.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn

I agree. Though sadly I have found that this game does need an excessive amount of them to be played the way a lot of people want to play it.

I agree there. I have a friend who cannot play her game without at least five or six mods. Were I still a regular player I would need mods too to make it fun. I don’t need mods to make it fun in sims 2. I have none. I have three performance mods in sims 3 but none that change game play.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I have 0 mods in TS2 and it runs and plays just fine for me thank you. I do have oodles of CC, mostly to enable playing in various time periods prior to the built in TS2 time setting. The thought of 80 mods to make TS4 work is horrifying, and don't doubt that one bit. To make TS4 play like TS2 does for me could well take that many, including some that likely have not been made yet.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    I have 136 mods in my Sims 2 game. About 80% of them are mods to stop autonomous annoying behaviors. Behaviors that are funny or cute the first few time but become increasingly annoying over time. Toddlers playing in the toilet, shoppers throwing shopping bags, sims jumping on the bed, playing hacky sac, water balloon fights, nougies and many more. Of course the level of annoyance will vary for players as evidenced by the fact that I only have one mod in my Sims 4 game and that's UI Cheats to cheat motives.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    I have over 800 mods (yes, mods only, CC I have only around 7Gb) in my TS2. Some "essential" , like all anti-corruption mods (creaturefixes and nounlinkondelete beeing the most important ones). Rest are either fixing lots of bugs and added gameplay mods.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    edited December 2019
    I have 136 mods in my Sims 2 game. About 80% of them are mods to stop autonomous annoying behaviors. Behaviors that are funny or cute the first few time but become increasingly annoying over time. Toddlers playing in the toilet, shoppers throwing shopping bags, sims jumping on the bed, playing hacky sac, water balloon fights, nougies and many more. Of course the level of annoyance will vary for players as evidenced by the fact that I only have one mod in my Sims 4 game and that's UI Cheats to cheat motives.
    Being annoyed about autonomous behaviour is not the same thing as having to fix gameplay. And besides, please don’t tell me Sims 4 doesn’t have an overload of autonomous behaviour ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited December 2019

Lol! Does the fact that sims constantly take selfies, browse their phones, read books and dump the books on the floor(regardless of traits) get glasses of water, drop to do push ups and sit ups, taking their dishes to to the bathroom to wash them, get up to hug random people, interrupt perfect strangers in restaurants, leaving the kitchen to dump dirty plates in the next room NOT bother you?

I’m impressed. Because when I played the game seriously I needed mc command to get rid of annoying behaviours like that like i need food to survive. The sims 2 behaviours you describe which annoy you is dependent on personality and if their aspiration is low. (Toddlers playing in the toilet for example) a lazy, non playful sim would not initiate water ballon fights or any kind of fun activity. My current sim is a lazy grouch, his favourite activity is watching sports. Hell hath no fury if I actually make him play sports.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

I just find this post amusing because it implies The Sims 4 is devoid of these autonomous interactions which interrupt gameplay.

And, what's worse, TS4's autonomous interactions require you to sit there and watch them play out completely before you can control your Sim. In The Sims 2, my Sim might stretch or yawn, but the moment I queue up an interaction, they quickly stop and do what they're told.

To me, that's extremely important in a game like The Sims. I don't want my game playing itself. The autonomous interactions are a nice touch, but when I want to do something, my Sims should be responsive. And they are in The Sims 2.
    Being annoyed about autonomous behaviour is not the same thing as having to fix gameplay. And besides, please don’t tell me Sims 4 doesn’t have an overload of autonomous behaviour ;)

I wasnt commenting on mods that simmers have to fix gameplay, although I don't use any in my game. I also didn't say Sims 4 doesn't have an overload of autonomous behavior. Simply that they don't annoy me to point of requiring mods. Specifically I was responding to the comment that no game should require that many mods to stop annoying behaviors.
    edited December 2019

I wasnt commenting on mods that simmers have to fix gameplay, although I don't use any in my game. I also didn't say Sims 4 doesn't have an overload of autonomous behavior. Simply that they don't annoy me to point of requiring mods. Specifically I was responding to the comment that no game should require that many mods to stop annoying behaviors.
    Since you didn’t quote, it wasn’t clear to me what exactly you were reacting to, but scrolling up what was said about this subject (mods) was:

“No game should need that amount of mods to make it fun and to stop annoying behaviours.”

“I have found that this game does need an excessive amount of them to be played the way a lot of people want to play it.”

“Were I still a regular player I would need mods too to make it fun. I don’t need mods to make it fun in sims 2. I have none. I have three performance mods in sims 3 but none that change game play.”

Behaviours is mentioned just once, the rest was about making it fun, how you want to play it and changing gameplay. So people were clearly not just referring to annoying behaviour.

As for me, installing mods that suppress certain autonomous behaviour I wouldn’t call an unacceptable necessity. If it annoys you then it’s good they exist. The white outlines in Sims 4 have annoyed me from the start and I downloaded a mod for that the minute I could. I wouldn’t say Sims 4 needed that mod though just because I was annoyed by it. I’m annoyed by the constant smile sims have in Sims 4, I also have a mod for that. I consider that, again, my issue, not so much the game’s (apparently a lot of simmers love their sims happy all the time, they like a smiling face). If there would be a mod that would stop sims to constantly hug or take selfies or make their bed, I’d download it in a flash, you obviously wouldn’t. If you hate toddlers playing in the toilet all the time, that’s you, not the game. I’ve often seen that animation being praised and being presented as something people miss even in Sims 3.

When people say Sims 4 needs mods, they are - I think - strictly referring to the mods that make it enjoyable. Like the one that gives sims a personality. The ones that change gameplay into something the game wasn’t meant to be like.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited December 2019

Since you didn’t quote, it wasn’t clear to me what exactly you were reacting to, but scrolling up what was said about this subject (mods) was:

“No game should need that amount of mods to make it fun and to stop annoying behaviours.”

“I have found that this game does need an excessive amount of them to be played the way a lot of people want to play it.”

“Were I still a regular player I would need mods too to make it fun. I don’t need mods to make it fun in sims 2. I have none. I have three performance mods in sims 3 but none that change game play.”

Behaviours is mentioned just once, the rest was about making it fun, how you want to play it and changing gameplay. So people were clearly not just referring to annoying behaviour.

As for me, installing mods that suppress certain autonomous behaviour I wouldn’t call an unacceptable necessity. If it annoys you then it’s good they exist. The white outlines in Sims 4 have annoyed me from the start and I downloaded a mod for that the minute I could. I wouldn’t say Sims 4 needed that mod though just because I was annoyed by it. I’m annoyed by the constant smile sims have in Sims 4, I also have a mod for that. I consider that, again, my issue, not so much the game’s (apparently a lot of simmers love their sims happy all the time, they like a smiling face). If there would be a mod that would stop sims to constantly hug or take selfies or make their bed, I’d download it in a flash, you obviously wouldn’t. If you hate toddlers playing in the toilet all the time, that’s you, not the game. I’ve often seen that animation being praised and being presented as something people miss even in Sims 3.

When people say Sims 4 needs mods, they are - I think - strictly referring to the mods that make it enjoyable. Like the one that gives sims a personality. The ones that change gameplay into something the game wasn’t meant to be like.

Gotcha. I must admit I can't wait to try out all the game play mods once the series comes to an end.
    I think those who play with many mods installed which might actually remove all the annoying stuff and or make the Sim Fine, and or change how the game mechanics work might not remember how shallow and annoying this game can be. I played the vanilla game for three years, and it never did get any better with the constant hugging, dropping commands out of queue, never able to queue up eight things at one time, they cancelled most things, never able to cancel an action, like where are you going?! Anoying stuff like losing all stuff in inventory, or returning bugs such as in the detective career, or annoying things like not wearing the outfit we spent time creating, or played Sims working as vendors or at least dressing as a vendor, or things not working such the very features of a game pack or EP, and or previous packs getting all bugged out like vampires were broken for a few years, might still be, or removing cheats and never saying a thing about it, and or Origin freaking out might not know what other people actually go through with the packs they already spent money on, and if one never sends a Sim to a cafe over and over (as a way to not cook often) they may never see Sims don't get waited on, or old returning bugs like Sims out on a the roof, etc. or even care or know about a stump seat in the game can cause the Sim to run there to feed a toddler when the toddler is in the house sitting in it's highchair, or they may not care the game wiped a person's saves out of existance, and or with their mods installed they may never see Sims switch partners, on the fly, on a dime, in the middle of dinner at a restuarant, suddenly they become gay or straight or bi and switch. And or lots become defective and may not be playable anymore an switch to a hidden generic lot and never be used as a business lot again for some odd reasons if in bin during a patch and or new installment, and I could go on forever.

It's time to end this sad case and start a new sad case, lol, bring on TS5 already. This isn't even a drop in the bucket of TS4's problems and I don't even won't to go through more of it, with the packs I know are broken already on day of release according to bug reports and wait another five years for perhaps one day getting something small fixed in them. Why on earth would I do that. The things I have listed didn't eve mention some job features don't even work or dozens of other things and buy more of the same or add more problems? I won't install mods to 'fix' anything. It shouldn't be my responsibilty.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    I actually installed the Sims4 Legacy on an older 32bit PC I had hiding in a closet. I transferred my Sims4 folder over to the older PC so I could play my favorite saves in an update free environment. Since I will probably pick up RoM and DU after the first of the year, should Origin have a good sale, that means I will be forced to update the game on my laptop and on my gaming PC. Hopefully all my mods and the new mods for DU will be ready to go and I shouldn't have any down time. But if a problem does pop up, I'll still have the Legacy edition to play. I went so far as to save all the zip and rar files for the mods I use in the Legacy edition because some modders might not keep older versions of their mods on their sites since Sims4 is no longer supporting 32bit. It'll be interesting to see if any of the modders will continue supporting or creating mods for older systems. I'm sure there are many players hoping for more fixes and I hope some of the modders will make their older versions available as well as fix the bugs EA and the teams didn't fix before the switch was made. Which still ticks me off whenever I think about it. A lot of those players are against using mods, but if they want the worst of those bugs to get fixed, it'll have to be with a mod, or many mods, because the teams are not planning to do it.

The amount of time and effort I put into just making sure I have back ups of every mod I use, is crazy. The fact I have two versions of the game is also a bit nuts. But sometime this year, around the middle of June in fact, EA threw me for a loop, and I'm determined to get my money's worth out of this game any way I can. That's about the time my game mods folder doubled in size. And it has grown even more in the past few weeks. That latest update fixed a lot of bugs and made room for a few newer mods in that game mods folder. This game can be manipulated into something close to what we saw in past iterations. Not an exact match, but close. The next group of mods I will be installing in a couple days allows kids to do and learn things like cooking, fitness and gardening, along with a few more. The animations aren't perfect, but Sims4 also has its moments of weird animations so it's something I can overlook. I just want the new gameplay, and the ability to create new storylines.

I'm bored of waiting for the teams to enhance the game with what I feel is new gameplay. I was bored with the game overall. Now I am exploring the modding community. And my fun level has gone up several notches as i find new ways to change the game in a way that makes me happy. And it all started with just one mod. :)
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited December 2019
    I find it so simple. If I get bored with the game, I stop playing. There is no way I'm gonna keep playing and build up frustration enough to make a thread like this. Waste of good time :/

Shouldn't this thread be in General Discussion?

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    I find it so simple. If I get bored with the game, I stop playing. There is no way I'm gonna keep playing and build up frustration enough to make a thread like this. Waste of good time :/

This thread has been here for around 3 months so the moderators would have moved it by now?

Also, boredom is feedback. The reasons for the boredom could be fixed, depending on the reason and plenty of reasons have been stated.

A lot of the posters in this thread have mentioned that they have stopped playing (as you have suggested that they do), others giving suggestions to help relieve that boredom. I don't understand what your comment is adding to the conversation other than to try make them feel bad for having an opinion? How people spend their time is their business isn't it, and they should be able to do as they please without being preached at? *shrugs*
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited December 2019
    Theres now a mod that fixes simple basic features like sims choosing to eat in dining tables first than in any other avaylable spot. Seriously! It is really sad and at the same time hilarious to think about the fact of the need of creating a mod like this. But who cares right? No matter how many players think about it, theres always the biggest number that buy, don't care as much about these details, thinks the little effort that this game translates compared to the older versions its totally fine, being excessivily positive about a thing that have 5 years and still receive the same complaints, the extreme passive attitude of the fanbase, etc, etc... It makes me feel like The Sims franchise once I respected and admire so much, the high quality interesting game that will have 20 years next February, ended up being a joke in this latest years.
    Post edited by Renato10 on

You know what's sad? When someone like me is jumping up and down on the days they added a flea market table, and or the ability to set the table so Sims would possibly eat together at the dinner table like in TS2 and then watch those two features fail over time. I think it's been a least three years since those two features, and here I sit waiting and waiting on something that might make me not so bored anymore, but wait, there might be a few more things that would be interesting to me, only to find out they are broken, too.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

You know what's sad? When someone like me is jumping up and down on the days they added a flea market table, and or the ability to set the table so Sims would possibly eat together at the dinner table like in TS2 and then watch those two features fail over time. I think it's been a least three years since those two features, and here I sit waiting and waiting on something that might make me not so bored anymore, but wait, there might be a few more things that would be interesting to me, only to find out they are broken, too.

I feel the same way. I remember when the game, at one point, worked awesome for me. When my sims were able to dine out and not get up to dance to the music or go rudely chat with another diner they don't know or not even sit down and eat. I was very excited about the features in a lot of the packs thus why I have almost all except like 5. Then over time things just got messy or I ended up disappointed. Now it's tedious for me to get through JUST one sim day.

"Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I went from preordering blindly to not buying.

Lmao same.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    And just as the modding community gets all mods updated, we get the news we're in for yet another update later this month?!? Come on! Unless this update fixes every glitch and bug in the game, there is no way I am going to install it. Every month they give us an update that borks updated mods, breaks previous fixes or adds another batch of CAS or B/B assets. The only announcement I want to hear is the game is finally fixed, and the next update will be for a totally new EP that adds something unique. Oh well, looks as if I will be playing off line for a couple more months. :(