Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has "family play" fallen back to the wayside? (Now with New OP)

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I do think they need to make elders a lot less fragile than the game makes them. I know a lot of real life elders having been previously in the field as a Geriatric Dietician and Cook at a Healthcare facility for many years - and believe me they are a lot stronger than people think when they are otherwise healthy. Anyone can be sickly - even 20 year olds - so life stages need some tuning up if you ask me. But then no one asked me. LOL.

I like how Sims 2 handle elders - it goes by how healthy a life style they lived as it should be to be a stronger healthier elder.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I do think they need to make elders a lot less fragile than the game makes them. I know a lot of real life elders having been previously in the field as a Geriatric Dietician and Cook at a Healthcare facility for many years - and believe me they are a lot stronger than people think when they are otherwise healthy. Anyone can be sickly - even 20 year olds - so life stages need some tuning up if you ask me. But then no one asked me. LOL.

I like how Sims 2 handle elders - it goes by how healthy a life style they lived as it should be to be a stronger healthier elder.
    I wish so too. I did physical therapy classes with elders and honestly found a lot of them more fit than a lot of young adults I knew. They can be like fun teenagers sometimes to talk to and I loved playing water volleyball with them.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • PositivibeePositivibee Posts: 52 Member
    I too hate how the game handles elders. My great-grandmother's 97 and still very active. My great grandfather got winded crossing the room (hyperbole).
    I also hate how there's so few clothing and interactions for elders as well. My grandmother thinks two unmarried unrelated people holding hands is a scandal, I don't think she'd walk around in a crop top and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 shorts.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited October 2019
    Children in previous iterations could easily max out skills like (the old form of) Creativity, for example, which covered a multitude of things and I found that extremely unrealistic. I like how the skill building works now: Creativity is maxed and then they are able to refine specific creative skills, but that only includes violin, piano, photography and singing if you have the City Living pack. Why not painting? Why not the guitar? That freezer bunny guitar looks childish to me. So I like the changes that TS4 has brought to children, but see many missed opportunities. I recently added up all the adult skills that children are able to build, and there’s only 10 (maybe there are more in packs I don’t have):
    Bowling
    Charisma
    Fishing
    Logic
    Mischief
    Photography
    Piano
    Singing
    Video Gaming
    Violin

They can play basketball, but for some reason that’s a hidden skill where bowling is not. They can skate, but that’s also a hidden skill. Why? That seems lazy to me.

Lately I have assigned hobbies to my kids and teens, I feel like it gives them more personality, so I put a shelf in their room with an object that represents their hobby so I don’t forget (I rotate families and they all kind of run together in my memory). This has helped!

I also like forming clubs and find that they meet other kids this way, it’s been great. But a lot of their activities don’t build relationships. They play that llama game and they’re silent and their relationships are not getting anywhere. They have lots of socials available but they’re short ones and it’s high maintenance to keep their convos going. If a kid comes over after school and my kid invites them to watch a movie, the kid starts to watch but then goes to empty the fridge of spoiled food, rejoins my sim after doing this inexplicable chore. Huh???

I just see a lot of missed opportunities and out-of-character actions.

If their whims were better (and all of them WORKED) I might find them more interesting.
  • nucleonidenucleonide Posts: 216 Member
    Whenever I see a topic like this, I always wonder if EA sees the player demand for it. My impression of EA is that they are a very traditional, numbers-focused company. If they don't see the numbers, they will not put their resources to develop it.

One quick look at the Gallery and Elders very rarely come up. Toddlers are less rare but still much fewer than the households that are Young Adult/Adult-only. I don't have all the data--the Gallery is PC/Mac-only and not everyone uploads to the Gallery--but if I were to guess why the focus on YA/A, it's probably simply because it gets the most numbers. Of course, the catch-22 is Toddlers and Elders get fewer gameplay features than YA/As, which also explains the lack of numbers. So... it's a complicated cycle, to say the least.

To be fair, I am also guilty of focusing too much on YA/A. That's why I've been consciously trying to add more Elders and Toddlers, even Elder-only households. I should also probably upload them to the Gallery... if and when I finish my world rebuilding project :sweat_smile:
    Owns: (EPs) GTW, GT, CL, S, CD, GF, IL, EL / (GPs) SD, PH, JA, DO / (SPs) MHSP, BYSP, VGSP, BNSP, LDSP, MSP
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    This thread needed to be posted and Im glad it did. OP is right, again Family play is being pushed to the side. Parenthood was a decent pack that added so many features I use every time I play. Teenagers need to be improved by making them a how they were in The Sims 2, you could spot a teen sim right away (without even having the writing above their head). There should be more voice pitches for all sims but especially teens. I think, the best fix for this would be adding a preteen life stage. Children sims basically look like they turn right into adults, not cool. Toddlers should be able to interact with more objects, and babies should be able to be taken outside of their bassinet and washed in a sink at least. I wish they would take notice of what the majority of players crave. Family Play. The Sims is a life simulator! To me, family is life, not going to clubs and partying, we have enough of that already. Im not excited for the Uni pack at all, it looks like Get Together with bikes... children won't be able to ride, smh.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

This thread needed to be posted and Im glad it did. OP is right, again Family play is being pushed to the side. Parenthood was a decent pack that added so many features I use every time I play. Teenagers need to be improved by making them a how they were in The Sims 2, you could spot a teen sim right away (without even having the writing above their head). There should be more voice pitches for all sims but especially teens. I think, the best fix for this would be adding a preteen life stage. Children sims basically look like they turn right into adults, not cool. Toddlers should be able to interact with more objects, and babies should be able to be taken outside of their bassinet and washed in a sink at least. I wish they would take notice of what the majority of players crave. Family Play. The Sims is a life simulator! To me, family is life, not going to clubs and partying, we have enough of that already. Im not excited for the Uni pack at all, it looks like Get Together with bikes... children won't be able to ride, smh.

I'm glad for your post but you didn't see in my OP that I do not want discussions/posts about preteens and other inbetweens. I do not think that they are needed in sims 4 and that they will never be added. The rest of your post I agree with.
    Kinda disappointed in what I'm hearing for domestic play in Discover University. Especially after considering Sims 2&3 University packs essential for domestic play in those iterations. I can't say for myself as I haven't bought the pack yet, because my rl family has gift priority over getting things for myself. However, I like that the stuff pack poll had lots of options for more domestic play (except for the option of another fitness/wellness pack). I see elders becoming slightly more rounded with the winning Arts & Crafts pack. I was kinda split between that and the science pack.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2019
    vikinglexi wrote: »
    Kinda disappointed in what I'm hearing for domestic play in Discover University. Especially after considering Sims 2&3 University packs essential for domestic play in those iterations. I can't say for myself as I haven't bought the pack yet, because my rl family has gift priority over getting things for myself. However, I like that the stuff pack poll had lots of options for more domestic play (except for the option of another fitness/wellness pack). I see elders becoming slightly more rounded with the winning Arts & Crafts pack. I was kinda split between that and the science pack.

What's wrong with more fitness stuff? It was one of the packs I really wanted even though nobody liked it. I love the idea of my sims carrying a watch that checks their fitness level and keeps track of their health, of what they eat per week and how much muscle mass they have. In TS2 sims had a weight "tracker" in the simology panel and having an improved version of it as a means to keep track of a sim's health would be really neat, something I'd probably always use. The herbal teas/smoothies would be also amazing to have, it could have included a juicer and some new harvestables. But I guess people never really think about these things with head and feet.

I guess we had the "Fitness Stuff" but that was really poor, and I wish they did something that includes gameplay that I can use in any instance in regards to fitness. I for one, barely place the humongous wall treadmill on the gyms.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited December 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

What's wrong with more fitness stuff? It was one of the packs I really wanted even though nobody liked it. I love the idea of my sims carrying a watch that checks their fitness level and keeps track of their health. In TS2 they had a weight "tracker" in the simology panel and having an improved version of it as a means to keep track of a sim's health would be really neat, something I'd probably always use. The herbal teas/smoothies would be also amazing to have, it could have included a lot of new recipes and some new harvestables. But I guess people never really think about these things with head and feet.
    I just felt that the features they gave us kinda ran into My First Pets territory because everything listed could have gone into either Spa day or the recent Fitness stuff pack.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2019

What's wrong with more fitness stuff? It was one of the packs I really wanted even though nobody liked it. I love the idea of my sims carrying a watch that checks their fitness level and keeps track of their health. In TS2 they had a weight "tracker" in the simology panel and having an improved version of it as a means to keep track of a sim's health would be really neat, something I'd probably always use. The herbal teas/smoothies would be also amazing to have, it could have included a lot of new recipes and some new harvestables. But I guess people never really think about these things with head and feet.
    I just felt that the features they have us kinda ran into My First Pets territory because everything listed could have gone into either Spa day or the recent Fitness stuff pack.

I get that, but in my point of view they were still very cool features. Better than one or two simple objects that people very easily forget like a microscope or a virtual golf machine.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited December 2019

I just felt that the features they have us kinda ran into My First Pets territory because everything listed could have gone into either Spa day or the recent Fitness stuff pack.

I get that, but in my point of view they were still very cool features. Better than one or two simple objects that people very easily forget like a microscope or a virtual golf machine.

I get what you're saying too. But I don't see the fitness stuff pack being inclusive to the specific topic of this thread, which is about more domestic/family play. Please don't get me wrong, as features they listed did sound cool (fitbit and a true vegan trait), it's just not conducive to domestic play.
    If they listed something like dance classes for children or water aerobics for elders, I'd be more on board.
    Finally!! A major simmer agrees! Preteens would ruin instead of help TS4!!#
    https://youtu.be/qoIapUS_yH8
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited February 2020
    What about making preteen a phase child Sims go through in the last couple days before becoming teens? Rather than diverting attention from existing life stages, it would actually enhance one.
    What about making preteen a phase child Sims go through in the last couple days before becoming teens? Rather than diverting attention from existing life stages, it would actually enhance one.

I can see that. What I personally hate is the whole make it a new life stage like toddlers.
    That's where adding preteens would be ruinous imho.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member

Now this idea I like. The last ... let's go with 15-20% (so that it's roughly equal across life spans, but 2-4 days in normal) of time as a child is a "Pre-teen" phase, where they can get some of the interactions that people want for Pre-teens. And maybe it lasts 1-2 days on normal into being a teen. And the exact time would be variable. While "pre-teen" is only 2 years long in real life, the amount of "pre-teen drama" varies by kid. My daughter had almost none in her life, while some of her friends had rather considerable amounts.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    https://youtu.be/qoIapUS_yH8

I agree
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I really like that idea.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited February 2020

I'm glad for your post but you didn't see in my OP that I do not want discussions/posts about preteens and other inbetweens. I do not think that they are needed in sims 4 and that they will never be added. The rest of your post I agree with.

Well, but just because you don't think they are needed, doesn't give you the right to tell everyone else who likes family play that these stages aren't needed. If you want to discuss your topic with others, you need to accept that they might not share your opinion. Otherwise you don't need to open up a thread and can discuss the topic alone by yourself.

I would love preteens. I really hate how children turn into YA (teens are like 16-18 in game so they basically almost are YA).
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I really want preteens, and preschoolers, haha! And for that matter, I also want middle agers.. retired Sims who aren't ready to drop dead and can go enjoy their vacations and grandkids without worrying about dying of exhaustion and achy backs. may as well add in free babies to my wish list too.

edited February 2020
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Now this idea I like. The last ... let's go with 15-20% (so that it's roughly equal across life spans, but 2-4 days in normal) of time as a child is a "Pre-teen" phase, where they can get some of the interactions that people want for Pre-teens. And maybe it lasts 1-2 days on normal into being a teen. And the exact time would be variable. While "pre-teen" is only 2 years long in real life, the amount of "pre-teen drama" varies by kid. My daughter had almost none in her life, while some of her friends had rather considerable amounts.

The problem with this is that people want preteens because the jump from 8 to 18 is so bad in this game. Your suggestion wouldn't fill this big gap, the children would just behave differently being children and that's it. It's also the physical appearance in between that we miss. It's not like you become adult height overnight, you know.

I hate that the teens are as tall as the adults in TS4. Well not hate, I do think it's okay, and I would be cool with it if we had a life stage in between children and teens. Then I'd be happy about the additional teen-almost-adult-lifestage. But like that? I really don't like it. So I need preteens to fill that gap. Nothing else can fill that gap, even if teenagers get more gameplay, they still stay 16-18 for me and we're missing out on age 11-15.

And yes, I would like preschoolers too, but I'd prefer preteens and updated babies that work like the babies in TS Freeplay at this stage.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

The problem with this is that people want preteens because the jump from 8 to 18 is so bad in this game. Your suggestion wouldn't fill this big gap, the children would just behave differently being children and that's it. It's also the physical appearance in between that we miss. It's not like you become adult height overnight, you know.

I'm not so sure about that. I know a couple of young men who went from slightly shorter than my admittedly short self to nearly a head taller within the space of a single school year. Yes, they grew 6-8 inches in 9 months. That year also happened to be their eighth grade year in both counts... the year they became teenagers. Yes, they continued to grow afterwards, but they did have a significant growth spurt relatively at once.

And Sims don't grow the way humans do, because making them grow naturally is an animator and clothing modeler's nightmare - at least for game production. I've dabbled with both for CG figures in Daz Studio. Making something that scales well and smoothly is a pain, and Daz Studio is miles above the engine used by the Sims for such things.

Maybe it's because I'm short, and my daughter is short, but the children in the game look to me like they could fit anywhere from 8 to 12, because I've known kids that short at 12. I was the kid that short at 12.

And I always told the kids at Church that I wouldn't believe they were teenagers until they were taller than me, so again, the height doesn't bother me at all, because most of them did end up taller than me. And again, see the kids who grew swiftly in the course of a year.

Really, I just see it as a lot of sturm und drang for a 4 day life stage that will get zero, or close to zero, asset support after creation. Not from Maxis, and probably not from CC creators either. I feel that energy is better spent trying to convince Maxis to make teens shorter again for Sims 5 and/or height sliders along with improved animation and clothing morphing support so that having different height character models doesn't require a whole new wardrobe and set of animations for each one. And there is no reason for the Pre-teen period to last longer than 4 days on normal.

But you do you. I'm out.
    edited February 2020
    I simply don't see your point. Just because SOME teenagers are taller than you and just because SOME couple of boys you know had a growth spurt that made them look like adults overnight, doesn't mean that it works like this for everybody and that everyone wants to play like that. I don't. For a life simulation game I want a stage in between children and teens because they didn't give us shorter teens or at least height sliders. So yeah, I simply don't see your point.

You don't have to play with preteens and get the GP they come with IF they come (they were once mentioned in a survey, so I think there is a chance we might get them as lots of people requested active school play and in that survey preteens were mentioned to come with that). But others will be happy that they come.

----

Some other thing, I didn't know the german expression "Sturm und Drang" was a phrase to express what you're expressing in the US ^^ - never heard it, I am fascinated. Here in Germany we don't use it like that at all, I just know it as a literature movement. ^^
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2020
    nucleonide wrote: »
    Whenever I see a topic like this, I always wonder if EA sees the player demand for it. My impression of EA is that they are a very traditional, numbers-focused company. If they don't see the numbers, they will not put their resources to develop it.

One quick look at the Gallery and Elders very rarely come up. Toddlers are less rare but still much fewer than the households that are Young Adult/Adult-only. I don't have all the data--the Gallery is PC/Mac-only and not everyone uploads to the Gallery--but if I were to guess why the focus on YA/A, it's probably simply because it gets the most numbers. Of course, the catch-22 is Toddlers and Elders get fewer gameplay features than YA/As, which also explains the lack of numbers. So... it's a complicated cycle, to say the least.

To be fair, I am also guilty of focusing too much on YA/A. That's why I've been consciously trying to add more Elders and Toddlers, even Elder-only households. I should also probably upload them to the Gallery... if and when I finish my world rebuilding project :sweat_smile:
    Uploading to the Gallery ≠ playing and enjoying a life stage. I also prefer to play young adults by the way (I’m middle aged myself), but that doesn’t mean the other stages are unimportant to me. It means I like playing a life stage where people explore things, find love, travel, go out, have adventures. But the other life stages are so important to give my sims’ lives more depth. One of the reasons I don’t play them as much, is because there’s nothing unique about them. If they’d be more fun in their own way, I’d definitely play with them. Fleshed out other life stages make the YA life stage more fun as well.
    We’re all major simmers.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    nucleonide wrote: »

Uploading to the Gallery ≠ playing and enjoying a life stage. I also prefer to play young adults by the way (I’m middle aged myself), but that doesn’t mean the other stages are unimportant to me. It means I like playing a life stage where people explore things, find love, travel, go out, have adventures. But the other life stages are so important to give my sims’ lives more depth. One of the reasons I don’t play them as much, is because there’s nothing unique about them. If they’d be more fun in their own way, I’d definitely play with them. Fleshed out other life stages make the YA life stage more fun as well.

so true
    more for sim kids and more drama please