Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has "family play" fallen back to the wayside? (Now with New OP)

Comments

• Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I have a very large vampire family and they all interact, go to each other's houses' which they have all the houses in FH, which I think is very cool. I love family play almost as much as anyone, but criminy folks, most of the packs have been about families. I don't care a whit if tots and kids can do spells until they're teens, besides that's a lot of hand movement for kids.

The things I want in future packs are about families, but they will probably be families who are either vamps or casters. B)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2019
    I agree that there needs to be a refocus on deepening the mechanics of the day-to-day family life that should be the game’s bread and butter.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I have to say, as an occult player, I'm a little taken aback by some of the hostility here. Occult players have been just as denied our play style as family players. Before Realm of Magic, the last major game pack we got was Vampires back in 2017. We don't consider Strangerville to be occult as the possessed Sims weren't a new life state. Mermaids were part of a bigger pack.

Not to mention, we were constantly put down by the realism players who would scream "THIS IS A LIFE SIMULATOR!!!! GO PLAY SOMETHING ELSE IF YOU WANT WITCHES!!!"

I don’t see any “hostility” in the posts above this one. All I see are folks expressing their desires for a certain kind of gameplay that appeals to them.

Unless by “here” you’re referring to the forums as a whole, and in that case disregard this comment. I’m not really tracking that situation.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    The good old breaking down of the family/domestic lifestyle. EA surely promotes certain types of living.
    I just wrote a whole thread about how there is no togetherness in this series anymore. And the fact that they mainly focused on YA, the clubscene, going to bars, throwing parties in the very beginning and stretched this out a VERY long time and it still pops up here and there, is just another proof to me that The sims 4 was only ment for this type if gameplay and lifestyle promotion.
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    sunblond wrote: »
    There does seem to have been a lot of focus on occult gameplay for a long time now with the packs released.

Lol, this is news to me. We only have four lifestates added in packs, compared a lifestate in most packs in ts2 and ts3.

The game could use an update to family play (especially elders and teens), though, be it in a generations type pack or an update.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I would love some more focus on family play even though I do play some occults now and then.
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member

While I can agree that occult players are getting so little content - I also believe that family play so far has been very shallow. I don't think parenthood was a good pack at all to be considered the end all be all for family players.

The Sims 3 Generations was one of my favorite packs - something like that would be great ( something that expands activities and gameplay for all ages)

So while it may seem like Family players have gotten a lot, I feel as if most of it is shallow and it's going to take a lot more before it becomes more wholesome.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    There does seem to have been a lot of focus on occult gameplay for a long time now with the packs released.

Lol, this is news to me. We only have four lifestates added in packs, compared a lifestate in most packs in ts2 and ts3.

The game could use an update to family play (especially elders and teens), though, be it in a generations type pack or an update.

I agree on elders and teens needing more love.

And there seems to be a prevailing notion among certain occult fans (and I’m not saying you’re a part of this group) that we need to approach a 1:1 ratio between these two types of content. I don’t see that as being the case. I think the balance should skew heavily in favour of the family play that I believe should form the foundation of the series. I’m not sure that’s the case in the game’s current state.

With that said, I certainly don’t think these two types of content are mutually exclusive. EA just needs to find a way to satisfy both camps with quality content.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I would love to have Sims 2 babies brought back and improved upon for the Sims 4 and I admit I did like some of the Sims 3 store content for toddlers like the playpen.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Yeah, I do not see any kind of opposition between occult and familyplay because that is what I do. Occult familyplay.

Agreed. My main family is a bunch of regular people, most of whom just happen to be mermaids.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited September 2019
    As an occult family play, if I have to choose I would totally pick more family updates rather than another occults. I already have my favorite occult in the game (vampire) so other occult is not my priority.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    As an occult family play, if I have to choose I would totally pick more family updates rather than another occults. I already have my favorite occult in the game (vampire) so other occult is not my priority.
    I'm an occult family player too. I like having both because occults is apart of my family play.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,672 Member
    edited September 2019
    I actually like the fact that some packs are not going too well with my style. Packs come quite often, I don't need them all. I like the idea of occults, but they would not fit well with my current game, and there is no way I would start a different save. Because I play so many families (50+ houses) the time progress is slow and I need months to implement a new pack with all houses. So, I'm leaving to others to enjoy vampires, mermaids and witches, and because I don't want a lagging game I see it as a welcome skip-this-pack. I will probably add 1 or 2 more packs.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    edited September 2019
    There's nothing I want more than a Generations pack. It was my favorite pack after Late Night in Sims 3.

Honestly I'm 100% okay with babies, toddlers and children. I just really think teens and elders need an overhaul.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member

omg, really?! Stop blaming the occults, we were lacking that type of gameplay since Vampires GP came out.

@Chazzzy I was hoping to see a new after-school activity, but... meh... Also, they never add new clothing for kids and toddlers, as well as hairstyles. They seem to focus on adding young adult female stuff tin this game. Male sims have half the number of hairstyles than females do, and most of them as too similar to me.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Hm...

I feel like I have lots to do with my families. They visit relatives, have fun at the park, pool or going on vacation. For me I guess that I just want to see things added in a pack that families can do together. Does not have to be every pack but fun little extra things that fits the theme would be good.

OHh.... gardening for kids!! That is my major disappointment actually, not having a little backyard garden to tend with your kids. My kiddo loves taking care of plants and they do it at his preschool as well. I would really enjoy that a lot. Oki if they cannot reach lvl 10 gardening, just cut it of earlier or something. Or they don't lvl until teens. Just being able to play with a wateringcan, over-water a plant. Stuff like that.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

What occult play have you got that the rest of us have missed out on? Cos we're really missing a heck of a lot of occult play!

TS3 had 16 different permanent other lifestates
    TS2 had 10
    TS4 has 5.

I miss how occults used to be added with pretty much ever EP.
    Some of us like occult family play. We like out kooky and spooky families.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Sims 3 had both family & supernaturals. I remember having a supernatural family. A wolfman married to a fairy & a male genie married to a beautiful vampire. The guys were brothers & the ladies were sisters. The married couples each had a child, one a boy, the other a girl. Their hybrid mix was hilarious. When the boy turned into a child he had a fairy glow & acted like a puppy scratching furniture & the girl could conjure up plasma juice. I don't think Sims 4 can do that.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited September 2019
    I have to say, as an occult player, I'm a little taken aback by some of the hostility here. Occult players have been just as denied our play style as family players. Before Realm of Magic, the last major game pack we got was Vampires back in 2017. We don't consider Strangerville to be occult as the possessed Sims weren't a new life state. Mermaids were part of a bigger pack.

Not to mention, we were constantly put down by the realism players who would scream "THIS IS A LIFE SIMULATOR!!!! GO PLAY SOMETHING ELSE IF YOU WANT WITCHES!!!"

I also like both occults and family play. One of the biggest downsides of the latest packs for me personally is the lack of child and toddler occults. I really wish child mermaids had an occult form like aliens. And I know I am not the only one who has expressed disappointment about the fact that children didn't get anything in RoM. I like occult sims and their families.

To give an example for those who think occult players don't care about families : Just look at the magic bloodline trait in the new pack. You can only get this trait by a having a child born ingame. But this child with magic literally running through his veins can't wave a wand, not even just for practice without actual magic. They can't play with magical toys or even dress in the style of their magical parents. And don't you dare to ask for a toddler bed to match the beautiful new art deco furniture. Occult players are hit just as hard by the lack of child and toddler gameplay as realistic players.

The problem is not the occults. The problem is the developers are currently treating this game as a millennial simulator with over 90% of the content designed for young adults, with the main focus on single sim activities or activities tied to technology. The rebranded game cover sums it up nicely, only young trendy millennial are allowed. No hint of the existence of pregnancy, toddlers, children, teens or elders. They put so much energy in being inclusive for the gay community and other cultures but it is a shame that at the same time they exclude everyone one who is not a young adult. I don't know who at EA decided that only young adults matter, but I disagree. Sims 4 is a life simulator and children and toddlers are a big part of a lot of people's lives for occult and realistic players alike!
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited September 2019
    Double post, please delete
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

And occult players also play families. Our occults do have children and families and we feel the things that are lacking too.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    vikinglexi wrote: »
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801025/ea-silence-on-family-play-and-family-play-fans
    This thread is a continuation of the above link.
    I believe that family play has again fallen by the wayside. This thread isn't about EA and Maxis' current focus (occults and builders) but on the lack of good domestic type play in general since Seasons. I myself play all types of styles so no hate on other types of gameplay.
    Examples of what I'm talking about
    Toddler are petty much the same as children below with the addition of lack of any new traits.
    Children can't show visible occult status, have had the same 4 aspirations since launch, it's a flip of the coin if they get clothes and hair in a new pack.
    Teens are basically restricted adults.
    Elders, They exist?
    This thread isn't exactly a complaint but an observation. Please no hate towards other types of play/players. Also no posts on the speculation of preteens (and other mid-stages) as I believe that they're basically confirmed to never be in sims 4 and are basically a mashup of ways that children and teens can be improved.
    I've also played every Sims game since 2000, so I know how play was in other games. This thread isn't about what made family play in the other games better or worse, the issue is sims 4 domestic play.
    Would love to hear about ways you all believe family play can be improved :) .

Only started playing a few months back, over 900 hours in, from what i've played, there is a signifcant lack of options towards child and teen phases, more child phase due to how anonymous they are as when they come out of toddler stage where you spend a lot of time looking out for them then suddenly on age up they are a lot less demanding, more independent and can more or less take care of themselves with exception to a few things like paying bills, repairing stuff and getting a paying job.

However with that said, it still seems like the bases are covered on what children get up to, so there isn't a lot to find in such a phase. adding more hairstyles and clothes doesn't really bring anything because on age up to teenager, it suddenly doesn't matter all that much.

aside from aspirations the problem we face is a lack of trait slots to make a difference and even when children get two trait slots it should open up to child traits that convert to regular traits on age up to teens. however certain adult skills should be allowed for children to help them build towards their basic skills and when those complete they can learn a few more adult skills. kids are taught cookery classes in school as they learn at home as well, being independent means learning to cook to survive, in the same way kids can learn to weight lift or run around on a treadmill or punch the punching bag. stuff like that can help out creativity and active skills and later cooking and fitness skills.

Aspirations could give a leg up, but i'd like to see a lot more of those from basically learning how to cook, to writing, math and other types of activities which can help build new skills that were teen/adult/elder only and contribute towards regular aspirations when children do age up. An example would be: completining social butterfly aspiration completes the first stage aspiration of friends of the world. same goes for the other aspirations. so if the math aspiration was added and completed? it would contribute towards nerd brain, as writing would to bestselling author and so on.

Elders? i don't pay much mind to elders. The problem with elders is that they have no useful purpose on the game other than taking up resources. I've seen some elders in real life being as fit as a fiddle, running around easily, enjoying such activity. while others enjoy a nice life being able to continue their usual activities without much issue, from gardening to other things. only in specific cases should elders become dangerously tired as 5 minutes on a treadmill is just such a massive penalty it isn't worth wasting time on unfortunately. if the tiredness penalty was raised a bit, there might be an option to get some activities in with the elders. only thing i can get out of elders is to mentor others and that is it, at least they will have a use before they pass on and this game doesn't do them any justice.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I'm not a family player, yet even I think TS4 is lacking a bit in that regard. On the one hand, nothing annoys me more than people screaming "I hate this pack because it has nothing for children and toddlers!!!" even when the theme of the pack is clearly geared torwards adult sims (like... what were you planning to do with a toddler in the jungle anyway, sacrifice it to the temple gods?), and such packs should have a right to exist as well - just because something isn't suitable for kids, doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the game at all. But on the other hand, there have been many packs that could have included something for children at least, but didn't, Island Living and Realm of Magic being the most recent prime examples. I mean, would it really have been that hard to make a smaller version of the mermaid tail for children, or a few animations so that witch children can use magic (they do have one in CAS after all)? I really hope someone will make a mod to enable this.

The problem is not that occult and family play aren't compatible, let alone mutually exclusive, and several people in this thread have said that they enjoy both play styles. The problem is that most packs seem to be designed to be either one or the other, when they could easily be both. And I'm only using occults to make this point because it has been the most cited other play style in this thread, but there are other examples too, even in the base game. There is absolutely no reason for children not to be able to do some basic gardening and start building the corresponding skill while they're still young, and it's the same with many other base game skills that are unavailable for children even though real children can definitely learn them (Painting, Guitar, Comedy, Writing, etc).
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    edited September 2019
    Movotti wrote: »

What occult play have you got that the rest of us have missed out on? Cos we're really missing a heck of a lot of occult play!

TS3 had 16 different permanent other lifestates
    TS2 had 10
    TS4 has 5.

I miss how occults used to be added with pretty much ever EP.
    Some of us like occult family play. We like out kooky and spooky families.

This is what I found on Sims 3

Ghosts=check
    Mummy= Sims 4 has a servant
    skeleton with Jungle Adventure
    Simbot= nope
    Vampire= check
    Imaginary Friend= nope
    Genie=nope
    Fairies=nope
    Werewolf=nope
    Witch= check
    Zombie= nope
    Alien=check
    Plantsim= check
    Mermaid= check
    Grim reaper=check

In Sims 4 you also get, Father Christmas & Patchy

For Sims 2:

Ghost(not playable)= ghosts (fully
    playable)
    Alien= check
    Mannequin (hidden)=nope
    Zombie= nope
    Vampire= check
    Werewolf= nope
    Servo= nope
    Plantsim = check
    Bigfoot= costume only
    Genie= nope
    Witch= check
    Grim Reaper= check

Sims 4 has mermaids, father winter and patchy

I haven't covered other elements here, Sims 4 has a magic wishing well, alien planet and rocket ship, a whole neighborhood that is essentially the plot of a 1950's B movie. Plus, mad scientists with a ray guns and cloning machines. The whole Jungle Adventure career that's right out of Indiana Jones with a servant skeleton. Oh, and Nessie.

Let me just add, Sims 4 isn't finished, there are more packs planned, could be more stuff for the sci-fi/fantasy lovers yet to come.
    Post edited by sunblond on
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    Yeah, I do not see any kind of opposition between occult and familyplay because that is what I do. Occult familyplay.

For me any kind of pack that gets me inspired is going to playing and I love occult sims so that really gets me into familyplay if that is what I am in the mood for. When Vampires came out I was still really missing playing MMO's and doing raids with my guildmates so there where a lot of vampires sparring for some weeks there. StrangerVille, Sulani and ROM actually made start playing families again. I tried to get a family going for a story about a armybrat that escapes the nowhere-ville with creepy neighbors but my main sim never found a guy that she clicked with. Oh well, she found him when Sulani came out and now everything is golden because I finally got magic!

The thing that we did get especially for familyplay in ROM, the different bloodlines and the ability to pass on magical talent in some way is pretty cool. It is just that we did not get any specific object outside the awesome bassinet and no animations. However, that does not mean that ROM does not make me feel like familyplay. I will play spellcaster-families for a long long time.

You see, that is the point. I, personally, wanted a family of functioning spellcasters. I do not see a bloodline trait as anything family-related, more min-max related. They could have easily given us both. There is no logical reason as to why children were neglected for this pack. Not just object/clothing-wise, either.

There was so much potential they had for this pack and they did not even tap into it in the slightest. They could have mixed occult with family with ease, but they chose to focus solely on occults for adults.