Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University being next is surprising

I'm really looking forward to university, but it also makes me wonder what we're getting the next few years. The re-brand makes me think that we've got at least 3 years before they announce sims 5. It feels a bit unnecassary to do a re-brand otherwise, if they're going to shift their marketing focus in just a year or two. BUT, university is the last proper big-ticket pack. I know there are others that are popular, but pets, seasons and university always seem to be the ones that are hugely popular, and once all of them were released in 3, we were just a few months away from the sims 4 being announced.

It's not that I can't think of packs they could do, we could have occults, destination packs, more family play and so on, it's just that I expected them to want to wait with university, to have something to keep people's interest in the new packs. If one of the things a lot of people are looking forward to and that we "know" will be released at some point, people are going to pay more attention to new releases. If everything they really want is out, I don't people will keep up with the news as much. Or, are they wrapping up soon, even with the re-brand? What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    edited September 2019
    Honestly, I don't think it's surprising. Literally every announcement of anything new (from packs to patches... up to the point of the Gurus personal tweets) was always littered with "is university coming?". I'd imagine they know how cranky some of the players who want Uni get when the pack is NOT Uni.

There are still themes that a lot of other people want - more occults (we only have two fleshed out and at least werewolves and fairies are still on multiple wishlists), farming/country living, more detailed family play or generations packs, vacation worlds of different types...

The University crowd is loud, sure. But a lot of them want MORE than only University and a lot more yet want things other than that.
    Perhaps now that we're getting it, we'll actually get a decent look at what the community wants (since it won't be automatically taken over by that one request).
    Post edited by SimmyFroggy on
  • Options
    Elegantblkchina1Elegantblkchina1 Posts: 103 Member
    edited September 2019
    I became reserved with the thought that University might not be released for a while for the same reason OP. So this is a nice surprise. I felt like the reason they weren't releasing University was to keep Simmers around and buying other packs, because quite frankly after University, I can't imagine any other pack I'd be interested in. Unlike Sims 2 where University was like the first or second pack, I stayed interested in all of the following packs because well Sims 2 packs were all great gameplay. And I didn't really get too much into Sims 3 for reasons.

Sims 4 has been lacking since release with the exception of a few packs and this has resulted in players feverishly pining for the next pack. I'm sure this tactic has been a gold mine for EA's greedy pockets. So the fact they are actually releasing it when supposedly they have a few years left, is quite interesting to say the least.

One thing I'm wondering though is if this iteration will be worth the long wait. Hopefully, but I'll keep my expectations down for now to protect my mental health.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Um, no it isn't. It's been blatantly obvious for a while that University would be the next pack, from all of the hints. Not only that, but the most vocal fans have been literally demanding it since Get Famous. It would have been surprising if the University pack wasn't next.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited September 2019
    Rebbilina wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to university, but it also makes me wonder what we're getting the next few years. The re-brand makes me think that we've got at least 3 years before they announce sims 5. It feels a bit unnecassary to do a re-brand otherwise, if they're going to shift their marketing focus in just a year or two. BUT, university is the last proper big-ticket pack. I know there are others that are popular, but pets, seasons and university always seem to be the ones that are hugely popular, and once all of them were released in 3, we were just a few months away from the sims 4 being announced.

It's not that I can't think of packs they could do, we could have occults, destination packs, more family play and so on, it's just that I expected them to want to wait with university, to have something to keep people's interest in the new packs. If one of the things a lot of people are looking forward to and that we "know" will be released at some point, people are going to pay more attention to new releases. If everything they really want is out, I don't people will keep up with the news as much. Or, are they wrapping up soon, even with the re-brand? What do you think?

There are lots of packs after Universites that could release and are missing from TS4

Farming-Horses were spotted in the gamefiles of the latest patch so this will probably be the first EP of 2020.

Romantic Based Pack-Could bring back slowdancing,an attraction system,online dating,honeymoons,romantic interactions in bed,giving boxes of chocolates,perfumes and other stuff. This will probably come as a Gamepack.

Theme Parks-We kind of had theme parks in TS3 with the Sims 3 Store but we've never had a whole expansion dedicated to them.

An Alpine Vacation-Sims would go on a vacation in a world similar to Alaska that always has snow on the ground and mountains. Could include skiing,igloos,cruises,sled rides,cabins and inns,ice fishing,look out points with small telescopes etc etc. Would probalby come in a Gamepack.

A Generations Pack for all ages with family activities,board games,prom,better weddings,graduations,anniversary's and mid life crisis.

A Space Pack with trips to alien planets and to a space station above the Sim Earth.

More occult related packs Werewolves,Fairies,Bigfoot,Yeti etc.
  • Options
    LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    Farming, an Alpine world (not necessarily holiday), generations, space, the future, the past, more occults, hobbies, hotels - there are so many things we could still get. And of course many people really want cars, despite the loading screens, and perhaps other forms of travel, eg. bicycles, horses.

I think there are lots of things we can still have in the game. I'd love to see more things for other age groups than just young adults and adults. And lots more gameplay, with depth.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    LMcGE wrote: »
    Farming, an Alpine world (not necessarily holiday), generations, space, the future, the past, more occults, hobbies, hotels - there are so many things we could still get. And of course many people really want cars, despite the loading screens, and perhaps other forms of travel, eg. bicycles, horses.

I think there are lots of things we can still have in the game. I'd love to see more things for other age groups than just young adults and adults. And lots more gameplay, with depth.

And swimming in other worlds.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Really? I don’t think it’s surprising at all. In fact, I feel it’s come a little later than I anticipated
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    interesting

i'm the complete opposite of surprised
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    I'm absolutely not surprised in the slightest. I just didn't expect it to be leaked so soon after ROM!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Rebbilina wrote: »

There are plenty of other pack ideas out there. A Farming/Rural pack has been mentioned by a lot of people-- depending on scope, that would pretty much need an EP time and budget. Other people have requested things like amusement parks (building off the rides in Sims Makin' Magic, and the roller coaster and carousel from The Sims 3 Store). Or a vacation pack involving a cruise ship. Maybe even a Sims 4 version of Generations -- yes, we got Parenthood but that only focused on one aspect of Generations; teens and elders really need some attention, along with moredistinction between YA and Adult.

I think there are still a lot of ideas out there and it's too soon to predict The End Of Sims 4.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    EA is going to be more focused now on creating packs that we've never had before in the series. So for simmers who want something new and different, I think they'll be pleasantly suprised within the next few years.
  • Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    As I said, it's not that I don't think that they can come up with new packs. Heck, I can think of like 10 packs off the top of my head that would be awesome. Also, I'm not surprised with all the hints. I'm surprised that they're releasing the last big fan favourite with what must be at least a few years left. Other than some occults and some popular features that could go in a number of packs (like cars), I think we have all the really popular packs that are released in every iteration now.
  • Options
    akasevenakaseven Posts: 279 Member
    edited September 2019

I'm curious to know about future packages as we are almost done with the remake cycle, which in theory only lacks into the future as the island theme has already been used, (and maybe something showtime style). packages that are something innovative and particularly different, are Get Together and Strangerville the others we have seen somehow in the previous ones, I hope to see new things, farm packages, time travel in general we will see what is still around. And in fact I understood your point was even natural for her to keep the university for a while, but I imagine the hate wave would be big since everyone asks for this package.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I don't think its surprising at all. It's been a staple of the series since Sims 2, really the only pack type left i think that has shown up in both Sims 2 and 3 (I'm sort of counting Late Night as Get Together and City Living). Every time what people want out of EPs come up, it's probably dominated a good 80% of the replies. It had to be coming at some point, or at least a theme like it. And except for Seasons, they've been doing the big sellers right at holiday/sales time.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Not surprising at all, most everyone expected this
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    It seemed like the most logical pack to come next to me.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    im not surprised, it was a toss up between this and the country living pack people want too.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm going to agree with you. But I'm not surprised by it. It should have come out the first year in my opinion. Dragging their feet with it is what is odd to me. But you are right long time players of this series may say they want new ideas and new packs (and we do) however, we sort of expect since it's a life simulator, to add in packs the others had and the three big ones are Pets, Seasons and University. Other stuff is always fluff to us. Appreciated but still fluff. And I don't see anyone who has been waiting on the three biggies to sit around and finally get cars after five to eight years. Or really looking forward to anymore fluff after they got their ocean swimming (even though only in one world) toddlers, family packs (Parenthood and Toddler Stuff and Kids Room Stuff) and or really expect anymore to be done about family (though they may wish for it) but don't really expect or wait to find out.

And cult players have their aliens, vampires, mermaids,plantSims, and now witches etc. (But of course never enough for some of us).

Once you have the three biggies, (and of course a night life for single Sims) interest starts to turn to new engine, new innovation, new animations not possible in this game, new activities not possible, and new building features not possible, so it seems to me this coming at the five year mark is more of a signal everything else is just fluf from here on out. (Other than maybe a new vacation world or some car pack) I really can't think of what they could add this late in the game that would knock people's socks off and five years seems to me to be the right time to start showing off new innovation and engine, rather than dragging out time for more fluff. ETA: TS3 offered Into the Future and Roaring Heights world to introduce rides etc. However, that is all fluff and not a necessity when building life simulators, so the three biggies out of the way just says to me, more fluff down the road that may not be worth it at the end of the day. Even farming won't be so fanstatic since we have gardening and TS3 store offered farming equipment and some limited animals that the Sims didn't even care for, like the familars in ROM. Fluff can't really carry a game five more years can it?

ETA: A GP about 'farming' but we have gardening and they supposedly already improved it in patches and ROM. So...not really necessary other than some animals or ranches etc.

GP about rides, more fluff. Not necessary and not everyone would buy.

What else would there be we have never seen before in all four games? Not much.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    I expected it, knowing how highly requested it is. Also, loving the pack ideas from people! I agree, there are still more ideas out there to develop, and I want to see them done well.
    My personal wishlist
    Fairies, werewolves, perhaps more new occult (cyclops, wings, grilled cheese sim, Llama sim, etc), then
    Farming with cows, chickens, alpacas/llamas, sheep, etc.,
    cruise ship with underwater diving (give mermaids their plum homes already #justiceformermaids),
    romance pack with slow dancing, better engagements/weddings/prom, attraction system, horoscopes, new traits, etc,
    Generation play with more activities, animations, family interactions, group games (marco polo, "cops and robbers", tag, etc) for more aliveness to it,
    I like winter vacation world idea as well,
    And last idea, to have bands and singing back as skill and to play together for gigs and get famous this way. Cant believe they didnt include it with Get Famous, like most famous peeps we know are Singers.

And patches to make water in all worlds swimmable (brindleton bay, windenburg are top priorities, and that gravity Falls camping area so we can canoe and swim in the lake)
    Spiral staircases
    Better babies (maybe in Generational EP, so it's more sims 2 style and actually HAS PARENTS FEATURES plum those things are ugly right now).
    Update mermaids to give them tombstone and baby crib

• Options
    Fallenxroses7Fallenxroses7 Posts: 92 Member
    was University a popular pack? it might've just been because I was quite young at the time and wasn't on forums... but I don't remember university being any kind of special thing. to me at least it was boring and I just don't remember any hype for it. and I spent a lot of time on sims youtube. I swear we only started getting hype for Sims 4 Uni around when Island living came out?
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    was University a popular pack? it might've just been because I was quite young at the time and wasn't on forums... but I don't remember university being any kind of special thing. to me at least it was boring and I just don't remember any hype for it. and I spent a lot of time on sims youtube. I swear we only started getting hype for Sims 4 Uni around when Island living came out?

People have been wanting University since the game has come out....it started getting super hype right before Get Famous came out.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think there is lots left to do after University but I do agree it's one of the last major ones that are standard for the series. I still can see something like Generations coming and they have polled about Farming so I see that being a big one also. They might do something along the lines of Back to the Future or some time related one. I'm hoping for a dancing pack and a romance pack for sure. I still see bands coming in some pack or on their own.. I want a pack related to the afterlife/Grimmy and since Ghosts are base game it wouldn't need to cross pack. I also need robots!
    Naw they are no where near out of ideas.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    My apologies for speaking as one who deserves no voice, and I am aware that the gatekeepers will fall upon me for this utterance, but it should be stated that nothing has been confirmed. I would advise, as much as an un-simmer may do so, that expectations be kept in check until official confirmation. This may be true, but until stated as such, it may be advisable to keep calm.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    It makes me excited to see what they're going to bring for the next couple years. There is still so much more to be included and more they can do in this game as previously said.

As far as a Sims5 I wouldn't expect it until until a year or two after the next gen console players are released, so if there is to be a Sims5 at best Sims4 may have 2 years left as new gaming capabilities will be possible and thus it just makes sense for a Sims5 then. But it's EA so I could be wrong.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    edited September 2019
    I feel like they're really stepping up their game with this rebrand, releasing 2 long waited EP's, 1 long waited GP and, well, Moschino, in the same year.

I really hope they keep this pace next year, but honestly, I don't think Sims 4 will reach 2022. My guess is they're releasing 3 or 4 EPs before they wrap it up (2 next year and 1 or 2 in 2021) - Kinda like what we had in Sims 3 if I remember correctly. We got Uni, then Island Paradis and Into the Future.

Indeed University (I refuse to say Discover University) is the last big pack, but I think it's the moment for it. People have been ranting about this since god knows when. Also, I don't think people will lose interest after Uni, specially cause there's a lot more content being requested, like Farms and bands.

I just feel that, taking these big waited packs out of the way, they will have more space to listen to what the community wants and hopefully make us happy in the final 2 years (according to me) of Sims 4.