The purpose of this post is to rewrite the Asylum Challenge that I (Nick) posted back in 2014 as an edit hasn’t been made since 2017. There has been no edits because of my studies at university and working at my job, but during this time I have been actively playing The Sims but just not active on the forums.
The Sims 4 has turned 5 years old recently, and the original Asylum Challenge forum post is almost 5 years old! This makes the original post very out of date since then The Sims 4 has had many expansion packs and game packs released. Simmers from around the world have also commented on the original forum post with their own suggestions for the challenge, which we will take on board of course.
The amazing @EuphorialQueen
has been very active on the original Asylum Challenge forum post, answering questions and helping Simmers to the best of her ability. Her help has not gone unnoticed, hence why I asked her to help me out the rewrite the challenge for 2019.
It has been so cool reading and watching people play the challenge, please keep it up! Let us know how it’s going for you!
This challenge was originally created by for The Sims 2, then revamped for The Sims 3 by . Also, credit to the other Simmers that have rewritten their own versions of the challenge for The Sims 4 as well.
For those who do not know the Asylum Challenge, here is the backstory:
“You have been committed to a run down mental health facility against your will. In order to prove that you are fit to rejoin society and earn your freedom, you must achieve the goals your psychiatrist has set for you – your aspiration. The catch? You need to achieve your goals as quickly as possible, while keeping 7 other patients, who you don't know and are out of your control, alive and as happy as possible. Add to that budget cutbacks leading to a lack of decent furniture and limited supplies, and your task gets harder.”
To change things up, there will be three levels of difficulty for the challenge. This is for Simmers who want to be a little bit relaxed while playing the challenge or hardcore Simmers who love a challenge.
I've created a Google Doc which I've formatted to my liking and has a table of contents. It also give you the option to download it as a PDF. Here's the link:
If there is anything you're unsure of, comment on this post or even send me a tweet. ()
Create your main Sim in CAS. They must be a young adult. You can choose whatever you want for looks, clothing, voice and walk styles. They must have the erratic trait and the other two traits can be anything except for modded traits.
You can also choose any aspiration except for the following:
- Successful Lineage
- Big Happy Family
- Super Parent
- Fabulously Wealthy
- Mansion Baron
- City Native
- Friend of the Animals
- Master Actor
The main reason behind not allowing these aspirations is because they will either take too long (fortune aspirations) or they require having an empty household (Big Happy Family, Friend of the Animals etc.)
After finishing your main Sim, create seven other Sims. They all must be young adults and they must all have the erratic trait. The other two traits and their aspirations can be whatever you want. I recommend having a few evil, mean and romantic Sims, just to make things interesting. None of the eight Sims are allowed to be related.
Next step is to build the asylum on a residential lot. The Asylum can be in any world from any expansion pack or game pack. The size of the lot does not matter. You can build the asylum yourself, download an asylum from the Gallery using the hashtag #AsylumChallenge or modify an existing house in one of the worlds.. Money cheats are allowed when building or placing your asylum. Depending on your mode of difficulty depends on what objects are allowed in your asylum, but all objects must be the cheapest at the beginning (Cheap counters, cheap beds, cheap couches etc.). You cannot have objects in the asylum which affects Sim’s emotions (unless the object was obtained through a career reward) or which prevents fires. Lot traits depend on your level of difficulty. When you have finished building the asylum you cannot modify further, unless Sims get stuck in a certain area or your asylum saves up enough money for a new skill building item or when you can purchase an upgraded item (more on that later).
When you have finished creating your asylum, your family funds must be at the required amount for your difficulty. To change the family funds you must first type into the cheat box “testingcheats true” (without quotations), then type into the cheat box “money (amount required). For example, for easy mode you would put "testingcheats true" followed by "money 1000" followed by "testingcheats false".
Gameplay Rules and Tips
Difficulty Modes and Rules
- You must only be selected on your main Sim, you are not allowed to click on the other Sims at all to check their needs. If they die, they die.
- If you want to, at 12am, you can click on the other Sims to check their inventory if they have books, food etc. When doing this your game must be paused.
- Cheats/mods/hacks which boost Sim’s needs or skills are not allowed.
- High free will must be turned on, so the other Sims in the asylum will do things by themselves.
- You can not use your inventory to reserve items for yourself. For example, you can't put a book or guitar in your inventory just so no one else can put it in theirs.
- The age settings can either be on normal or long, it’s your choice.
- No rearranging of furniture to reserve or use something for yourself. For example, you can not move the TV into a bedroom and turn it on just to get an uncontrollable Sim out of bed so you can sleep in the bed. Nor can you remove a door so others can't gain access to the bathroom so you can use it when you come home from work.
- If a Sim dies you must keep the grave on the lot.
- Putting toilets and showers/baths in separate rooms is OK in all difficulties, as dying from embarrassment tends to occur too much. (Though I do recommend keeping them in the same room, just for drama)
- Making your Sim “work hard” in their career is ok, you cannot make the other patients “work hard” in their careers.
There are 3 different modes of difficulty for this challenge.
- Starting funds: §1,000
- Complete two aspirations, then you are free!
- Can have the TV and the computer at the same time.
- Two sinks, two toilets and two showers/bathtubs.
- No more than 6 ‘bed spots’. For example you can have 6 single beds, or 3 double beds, 1 double and 4 single beds etc.
- There can only be total seating for 8. That includes couches, lounges and chairs. If you have a dining table with 6 chairs then you may not use a couch that seats 3.
- You may only have a total of 5 Skill Building items in the house, so choose wisely at the start. Computers, stoves, bookcases, mirrors, planter boxes/pots and TVs don't count as skill items. It is highly recommended to have skill items which make money, for example the easel. (When you earn more money you can buy more skill building items)
- You must have at least 1 negative lot trait.
- Everyone in the asylum is allowed a job, but the non-controllable Sims must be in the Criminal Career as it is the lowest paying job. You are not allowed to level them up in their career. If they lose their job, they have lost it forever. Your main Sim can have whatever job they like. (It is recommended that their job is related to their aspiration. For example a Sim with the Master Chef aspiration should be in the Culinary Career)
- You can purchase lifetime rewards
- Hiring services is allowed (maid, repairman, pizza etc.)
- Curfew: Can leave the lot to go fishing and collecting at anytime. Can only travel to other people’s houses and community lots during the hours of 9:00am-3:00pm. (When travelling to another lot you must bring everyone from the asylum along with you)
- If a Sim dies, no objects have to be deleted.
- Starting funds: §500
- Complete three aspirations, then you are free!
- You cannot have a TV and a computer at the same time. It is recommended that if your Sim has the Computer Whiz aspiration for example, that you should have a computer.
- One sink, one toilet and one shower/bathtub.
- No more than 5 ‘bed spots’. For example, you can have 5 single beds, or 2 doubles and 1 single bed etc.
- There can only be total seating for 6. That includes couches, lounges and chairs. If you have a dining table with 4 chairs then you may not use a couch that seats 3.
- You may only have a total of 4 Skill Building items in the house, so choose wisely at the start. Computers, stoves, bookcases, mirrors, planter boxes/pots and TVs don't count as skill items. It is highly recommended to have skill items which make money, for example the easel. (When you earn more money you can buy more skill building items)
- You must have at least 2 negative lot traits.
- Only 2 non-controllable Sims are allowed jobs, both must be in the criminal career. Your main Sim can have whatever job they like. (It is recommended that their job is related to their aspiration. For example a Sim with the Master Chef aspiration should be in the Culinary Career)
- You can purchase lifetime rewards
- Hiring services is not allowed.
- Curfew: Can leave the lot to go fishing and collecting between the hours or 7:00am-5:00pm. Can only travel to other people’s houses and community lots during the hours of 9:00am-3:00pm. (When travelling to another lot you must bring everyone from the asylum along with you)
- If a Sim dies, 1 seat must be deleted until there is 1 seat remaining.
The Handiness Skill and Upgrading Objects
- Starting funds: §100
- Complete four aspirations, then you are free!
- You cannot have a TV and a computer at the same time. It is recommended that if your Sim has the Computer Whiz aspiration for example, that you should have a computer
- One sink, one toilet and one shower/bathtub.
- No more than 4 ‘bed spots’. For example, you can have 4 single beds, or 2 double beds, 1 double bed and 2 singles
- There can only be total seating for 4. That includes couches, lounges and chairs. If you have a dining table with 2 chairs then you may not use a couch that seats 3.
- You may only have a total of 3 Skill Building items in the house, so choose wisely at the start. Computers, stoves, bookcases, mirrors, planter boxes/pots and TVs don't count as skill items. It is highly recommended to have skill items which make money, for example the easel. (When you earn more money you can buy more skill building items)
- All your lot traits must be negative.
- Non-controllable Sims are not allowed jobs. You main Sim can only have a job if their aspiration requires it. For example the Master Chef aspiration requires your Sim to be in the Culinary Career.
- You cannot purchase lifetime rewards
- Hiring services are not allowed.
- Curfew: Can leave the lot to go fishing and collecting between the hours or 12:00am-5:00am. Travelling to other lots is banned, unless your Sim’s aspiration requires them to (e.g. Realm of Magic). If that is the case, you can travel to other lots between 6:00pm-11:00pm. (When travelling to another lot you must bring everyone from the asylum along with you)
- If a Sim dies, 1 bed and 1 seat must be deleted until there is only 1 bed and 1 seat remaining.
Using the handiness skill to upgrade objects (self cleaning, unbreakable etc.) is allowed in all difficulty modes. You can also use the skill to craft objects on the woodworking bench. These items can be added to the asylum.
When the asylum saves up a bit of money you can start replacing the cheap furniture and appliances with high quality furniture and appliances. You can only replace items, you cannot buy extra items. For example, you can replace the fridge but you can’t have two fridges. You cannot buy upgraded objects in hard mode.
In the difficulties it states that a number of aspirations must be completed. This refers to aspirations such as the Computer Whiz aspiration. It does NOT refer to groups of aspirations such as the all of the aspirations in the Creativity category.
What do you do when your Sim is at work?
Fast forward or just do some people watching with the other patients! Sims on freewill are interesting.
I need to buy a skill object for my Sim to complete their aspiration, is that ok?
Yes! If your asylum has enough money.
What happens if my main Sim dies?
You have two options, it’s game over and you gotta start again or you can continue with another Sim in the household.
Other Sims are inviting my Sims out via the cell phone, can I accept their invitations?
Unfortunately no, your Sims outside friends will have to wait till your Sim is out of the asylum for them to eat out at a restaurant or dance at a club.
Can I get Sims from the gallery to be my other patients?
Yes! But make sure they have no careers as some Sims on the gallery have careers and skills already. If they have a career, make them quit when the game starts up. If they have skills and you’re keeping score, you can’t count those skills towards your skill.
I have a chest table with two chairs, do they count towards the chair count?
No! That also includes other skill items that require a chair to use them.
Expansion Pack Changes
Get To Work
- Alien patients are allowed.
- Active careers are not allowed as they require leaving the lot.
- Your Sim cannot own a retail business
- If a member of the Asylum is abducted by aliens and comes back pregnant, when they give birth you can send the baby back to Sixam or if you have room in the household an added challenge could be raising the child.
- Giving other patients medicine is optional, either let the sickness go away naturally or you can buy medicine and make them take it.
- You can create an Asylum club for the patients, you cannot add outside Sims to the club.
- Club perks are allowed for all levels of difficulties.
- Groups are allowed.
Cats & Dogs
- Apartments and Penthouse lots cannot be asylums.
- Going to festivals is allowed but must be within curfew times.
- The City Native aspiration is not allowed because it requires owning an apartment.
- In easy mode you can turn off temperature effects for Sims if you like but you must keep them on for medium and hard mode.
- Celebrating holidays is allowed, you can even decorate the asylum if you like (if you have the money).
- Custom holidays are allowed.
- An asylum can come with a thermostat in easy and medium mode but a hard mode asylum has to purchase one with their own money
- Fame and reputation is allowed but can be turned off if you like.
- The Acting active career is not allowed.
Game Pack Changes
- Living on a beach lot is allowed.
- Having a mermaid Sim is allowed.
- Outdoor Enthusiast aspiration is allowed.
- You can only travel to Granite Falls when you need to complete certain goals in the Outdoor Enthusiast aspiration.
- When travelling to Granite Falls you must bring all of your fellow patients with you and choose the campground as your destination.
- Yoga mats and other wellness skill boosting items of course count as a skill building items.
- Your Sim cannot own a restaurant.
- Your household cannot visit a restaurant.
- Vampire patients are allowed.
- Vampire aspirations are allowed.
- Super Parent aspiration is not allowed
- Jungle related aspirations are allowed.
- You can only travel to Selvadorada when you need to complete certain goals in the jungle related aspirations.
- When travelling to Selvadorada you must bring all of your fellow patients, it is recommended to make a campground of some kind (similar to the Granite Falls campground for example).
Realm of Magic
- You’re allowed to build an asylum in Strangerville.
- The Strangerville Mystery aspiration is allowed, but remember when you’re allowed to leave the asylum!
- For more interesting gameplay, you’re allowed to use the bb.showhiddenobjects cheat to make the 7 other patients eat some Bizarre Fruit. Your Sim won’t be allowed to eat it as it boosts their needs. When you complete the Strangerville Mystery aspiration you should cure your fellow patients.
Stuff Pack Changes
- Spellcasters are allowed
- The cauldron counts as a skill object
- Travelling to the Realm of Magic is allowed, but you must follow the curfew rules.
- The bowling alley does not count as a skill building object. But to get one your Asylum must save up the money for one.
My First Pet
- Laundry is optional, but you must start off with the washing tub and the outdoor clothesline. In Easy and Medium mode you can upgrade them to a washing machine and dryer if you have enough money.
- In Hard mode you are only allowed the washing tub and outdoor clothesline.
- The pet in the pet cage is the only pet the asylum is allowed to have. If it isn’t taken care of, maybe someone will get bit!
- Pools are allowed but they are classified as a skill building item.
- You can build your asylum in Newcrest.
- A dishwasher can only be purchased if the asylum has enough money.
- The tragic clown painting is allowed, and he is allowed to be summoned.
- Lot traits are allowed
- Freelance careers are allowed, but since they don’t contribute to any aspirations currently they are not recommended
- Creating a Sim using the story tool in CAS is not allowed.
- Part Time jobs (Retail, Fast Food etc.) are allowed
+50: per aspiration completed.
+1: per skill point any of the 8 Sims have at the end. Only living Sims count.
+1: per 1000 Satisfaction points every Sim has. Only living Sims count.
-20: per Sim that died.
-20: per fire which has occurred.
-10: per day when the power and water is shut off. (E.g. Power and Water shut off for 2 days =-20 points)