Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 Discovering University CONFIRMED Coming on November 15th!

Comments

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm...

Personally Sulani is my favorite place in Sims 4. I have been really lucky as far as packs are concerned lately. Strangerville, ROM and Island Living are just my thing and I haven’t even had time to explore magic yet.

I am unsure how university will fit my sims. Will it be a flexible experience and I am not interested in the frat-scene so I am curious how big a part that will be.

At the moment I am just enjoying my newest two packs and chilling. Time will tell if University will be for me.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Irdiwen wrote: »
    I can’t help but feel there are but few people excited about this expansion. How come? Is it me, as this is the pack I’ve been waiting for for 5 years? Or are we all burnt out by the bugs and issues in the latest packs? I get that, by the way. I do. I’m just terribly excited about University finally coming.
    Not to mention all the recent packs have no replay value and a lot of reusing content we already had but repackaging it. University will also reuse systems and give us some CAS items and a small world its expected at this point. I'd actually be shocked if they set a dorm system that was not City Living apartments.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited October 2019
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    no it
    Simburian wrote: »
    All these new packs appear to be very rushed through. No wonder we are getting so many bugs. If the rumour is true I expect we will get that and then a large Patch before Christmas.

I remember when the complaint was that content wasn't coming out fast enough. Now its too much :D This "community" is forever unsatisfied.

simply because we were spoiled by loads of content and gameplay which the previous games had to offer and have now been getting lesser, short-lived, no replay value, recycled and lazily done DLCs that are not just worth the agonizing pain of waiting in TS4 apparently.

that explains the discontent and dissatisfaction. :D

No, like I said, this "community" keeps going back and forth. One moment, the packs weren't coming out fast enough and now they are being released too often. It's the flipping back and forth.

If the other game has the better content to this day, to you, then just play [/b]that game.

It still amazes me the other games actually do have better content pack vs pack, quality vs quality, and gameplay mechanics vs gameplay mechanics. When I bought an EP in those games I actually got EP quality and content/gameplay. These days I'm sold a GP at an EP price. Or a GP with reused assets from the base game. Or a stuff pack with content I can't use unless I buy an EP to make it work/use. Odd. And those games are twenty, fifteen and ten years old. Some so old the pcs won't play them since Windows 10 blocks SafeDisk from being able to load a cd or dvd. Not without finding ways around MS' push to make us all buy online and manipulate a consumer to have to download anything and everything from online service rather than to use a disc. I sit and wonder who all was in those meetings the day MS decided discs are dead and we all need to be on line all the time. I'm sure some big game companies were in those meetings, too.

It was TS4 players complaining about the dry spells that lasted months at a time, and the lack of communication. It's still the TS4 players who are complaining the packs are lack luster and rushed this past year (and I can see why) when fifteen bugs appear after installing a patch to add some free content and one bug fix.
    It's not the players of the older games doing so much complaining but those who buy everything for TS4 that seem to be having all the problems, since gamers who play the other games left a long time ago. Those of us still here complaining actually play it now and then. Go figure the community that buys everything are actually the ones complaining and not those who have left to go back to older games for good.

I mean this is all subjective, but packs like The Sims 2 University reused about 80% of the base game.

There was very little new content actually added, and EA just merged High School and Adult Careers.

But sure, it was “an Expansion” packs worth of content.

The difference between the amount of content found in Sims 2 Uni vs Sims 3 Uni was light years apart, and EA could do the bare minimum for Sims 4 Uni and would probably offer more than Sims 2 Uni did.

Bon Voyage is pretty much the only Sims 2 Expansion that added the level of content found in Sims 3 Expansions.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited October 2019
    I noticed the website states that 64-bit is required. Then again, it doesn't list Mac as an option.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    SweetieChan1010SweetieChan1010 Posts: 1 New Member
    I hope it's at least better than My First Pet. I don't have very high hopes because it's being pumped out right after Realm Of Magic. And Realm Of Magic itself was a bit of a 'Play it once' type pack. Hopefully they do better? :/
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited October 2019
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    no it
    All these new packs appear to be very rushed through. No wonder we are getting so many bugs. If the rumour is true I expect we will get that and then a large Patch before Christmas.

I remember when the complaint was that content wasn't coming out fast enough. Now its too much :D This "community" is forever unsatisfied.

simply because we were spoiled by loads of content and gameplay which the previous games had to offer and have now been getting lesser, short-lived, no replay value, recycled and lazily done DLCs that are not just worth the agonizing pain of waiting in TS4 apparently.

No, like I said, this "community" keeps going back and forth. One moment, the packs weren't coming out fast enough and now they are being released too often. It's the flipping back and forth.

If the other game has the better content to this day, to you, then just play [/b]that game.

It still amazes me the other games actually do have better content pack vs pack, quality vs quality, and gameplay mechanics vs gameplay mechanics. When I bought an EP in those games I actually got EP quality and content/gameplay. These days I'm sold a GP at an EP price. Or a GP with reused assets from the base game. Or a stuff pack with content I can't use unless I buy an EP to make it work/use. Odd. And those games are twenty, fifteen and ten years old. Some so old the pcs won't play them since Windows 10 blocks SafeDisk from being able to load a cd or dvd. Not without finding ways around MS' push to make us all buy online and manipulate a consumer to have to download anything and everything from online service rather than to use a disc. I sit and wonder who all was in those meetings the day MS decided discs are dead and we all need to be on line all the time. I'm sure some big game companies were in those meetings, too.

It was TS4 players complaining about the dry spells that lasted months at a time, and the lack of communication. It's still the TS4 players who are complaining the packs are lack luster and rushed this past year (and I can see why) when fifteen bugs appear after installing a patch to add some free content and one bug fix.
    It's not the players of the older games doing so much complaining but those who buy everything for TS4 that seem to be having all the problems, since gamers who play the other games left a long time ago. Those of us still here complaining actually play it now and then. Go figure the community that buys everything are actually the ones complaining and not those who have left to go back to older games for good.

I mean this is all subjective, but packs like The Sims 2 University reused about 80% of the base game.

There was very little new content actually added, and EA just merged High School and Adult Careers.

The difference between the amount of content found in Sims 2 Uni vs Sims 3 Uni was light years apart, and EA could do the bare minimum for Sims 4 Uni and would probably offer more than Sims 2 Uni did.

Bon Voyage is pretty much the only Sims 2 Expansion that added the level of content found in Sims 3 Expansions.

How can you say that? This is university, the same university pack that added:

The influence system
    17 new socials
    Career outfits
    Life time wants
    New foods (Chinese and ramen)
    New party types - sports
    New objects
    New build and buy
    Jobs like being a barista or barman

And that was for everyone. For college we got:
    A new life state (young adults)
    New want and fear slot and locks
    Four new careers
    Student jobs
    Three college campuses with three lot types: dorms, Greek house or student houses
    The ability to build your own college campus
    The ability to build your own dorms
    12 majors your sims could participate in
    Secret society
    A new super natural (zombies)
    College got toga and graduation parties

I don’t see how any of that is re using 80% of the base game. In fact I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the sims 4 university won’t have even half of the above. It’s hilarious to me that a defence of the worst sims game for recycling in the history of the franchise, is to criticise the sims 2. Let’s talk when discover university is a re hash of the magic system and is 99% decor items😂. Again.

This isn’t nostalgia talking, this is a game I play daily. To compare the sims 4 to the sims 2 In terms of recycling... oh dear.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited October 2019
    I noticed the website states that 64-bit is required. Then again, it doesn't list Mac as an option.

That could change. This is a leak, not an actual confirmation so it's all place holder stuff really. ;) I wouldn't even be surprised if it was called something else entirely and had nothing to do with university just to throw us all off after IL was leaked... (jk)
    I hope it's at least better than My First Pet. I don't have very high hopes because it's being pumped out right after Realm Of Magic. And Realm Of Magic itself was a bit of a 'Play it once' type pack. Hopefully they do better? :/

Apples to oranges. My first pet was a stuff pack. This will be an expansion pack. ROM was a game pack, again, not as much as an EP. However... that all said, after IL, sounds like GP's have more changes and things in them than actual EP's... :/ both have always and still do have a lot more than a stuff pack though. They absolutely do have to do better though. They really have been slipping lately.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    no it

How can you say that? This is university, the same university pack that added:

The influence system
    17 new socials
    Career outfits
    Life time wants
    New foods (Chinese and ramen)
    New party types - sports
    New objects
    New build and buy
    Jobs like being a barista or barman

And that was for everyone. For college we got:
    A new life state (young adults)
    New want and fear slot and locks
    Four new careers
    Student jobs
    Three college campuses with three lot types: dorms, Greek house or student houses
    The ability to build your own college campus
    The ability to build your own dorms
    12 majors your sims could participate in
    Secret society
    A new super natural (zombies)
    College got toga and graduation parties

I don’t see how any of that is re using 80% of the base game. In fact I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the sims 4 university won’t have even half of the above. It’s hilarious to me that a defence of the worst sims game for recycling in the history of the franchise, is to criticise the sims 2. Let’s talk when discover university is a re hash of the magic system and is 99% decor items😂. Again.

This isn’t nostalgia talking, this is a game I play daily. To compare the sims 4 to the sims 2 In terms of recycling... oh dear.

Yeah, it’s pretty easy to write a list like that and not look at the finer detail;

- Influence System just is basically just telling other people to do something already in-game. Hardly anything to write home about, and is just refusing base game interactions.

- Career outfits - Yeah, that’s just additional stuff the base game already does.

- Lifetime wants were a base game update.

- New foods....okay. It’s food. Food is a base game thing, just more dishes.

- Party types - Sports (literally all it is, is Sims will watch the Sports channel on TV...lmao) Basically the base game party with one minor difference).

- New Objects/New Build & Buy - Expected. But so far the only thing that’s not the base game being reused.

- Barista was new, yes. Barman was the base game NPC unlocked and patched into the base game.

- Young Adults are simply Adults with a different walk style, and Teen voices. So 95% of what makes them up is from...you guessed it! The base game.

- New Socials - Yep, good!

- New Wants & Fears, again just taking something from the base game and adding more. Hardly gameplay though.

- Four new careers, which again, reuse the base game careers with a different name, and unlock different objects as the career reward. So far there’s actually very little about this EP that’s not taken from the base game!

- Student Jobs - last time I checked, apart from barista, these were all base game interactions, you just now get paid.

- Dorms were good, but also attention to detail was missing, like the fact Dorms have a normal mailbox and you have to pay bills for everyone. Student Housing is the same as normal housing, and Greek Houses have some cool quirks but again, all the gameplay for these are reused from the base game except one or two interactions.

- The ability to build your own Campus and Dorms, this was to be expected imo and while it doesn’t take away from the game, it would be weird if the game didn’t allow you.

- The secret society is completely ripped from the game game, they reuse the police animations, the whole thing! Another example of how most of this pack is just base game stuff repurposed.

- Toga parties - are normal parties with a toga outfit. Otherwise 100% base game parties.

- Zombies are one of the new lifestates yes.

- Also you forgot it, but the cow plant was a new addition.

But as you can see, HOW MUCH of University was entirely new and didn’t just reuse the base game stuff and add one or two cosmetic differences or slight AI differences.

Yes there are new gameplay objects not mentioned here, but University as a whole mostly reuses systems and gameplay found in the base game.

Compare this to Sims 3 University, where there were whole new systems put in place, like classes, actual parties with huge differences, new venues types, actual coffee houses etc.

If you were to rewrite this list and exclude anything that didn’t just take a base game system or gameplay and make some minor changes, it would be a very VERY short list.

I imagine that Sims 4 Uni will be less new gameplay than Sims 3 Uni Life and will reuse some aspects from other DLC/Base Game, but I can be certain it won’t be nearly every new feature minus the gameplay objects like Sims 2 was.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

I find that not listing Macs is the norm rather than an indicator of anything at all. They seem to fall under PC for a lot of retailers and in specifications they're mostly an afterthought and the PC/Mac label isn't used as much as a few years back.
    Also, the general requirement for TS4 on Macs is 64bit anyway, now that the newest OS no longer supports anything else.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    no it

Wow that couldn't be further from the truth.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    HCSauHCSau Posts: 506 Member
    @Irdiwen I am so glad you put up that link, and followed it up. It has made my day. I've have been waiting for a university expansion since the first expansion. Thank you for this! :)
    HSau :)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I hope it wasn't rushed and went through a long (several months) beta test.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

*Spits water all the keyboard*
  • Options
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    no it

Then rebut what I said above then.

I went through every feature of Uni listed to me and advised how much of it reused or just added stuff to the Sims 2 base game.

Correct me if you think I’m incorrect :)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »

*Spits water all the
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    no it

I went through every feature of Uni listed to me and advised how much of it reused or just added stuff to the Sims 2 base game.

It added careers that only University Sims could get. (Unless a cheat or mod). I can't remember exactly what you said but something about careers and the same things already in base game. Bubble blower is not a basegame object. That added social and built relationships if you joined the other Sim. A particular action. Unlike TS4's bubble blower that does neither. Like bowling doesn't build social nor builds any relationship as an activity. Heck, they couldn't even talk to each other until some griped.

Influence is a new bar on the Sim panel, earning influence points could make life easier for your Sim or turn your Sim into a tyrant by making others do all their work and or influence others to stir up some trouble or get other Sims together by influncing others to do romantic actions with the right Sim (other Sim willing). All Sims get the influnce bar. Expands gameplay of entire game.

It added gameplay to the entire game, by allowing players to build any dublex and or apartment long before AL because of the Myne door. Base game world could now have retirement homes as long as you marked the rooms for the elder for that elder or a dublex where you could control two households in a dublex by adding a Myne door to the building. That door inparticular added gameplay in ways people can't do in the base alone.

It changed CAS by no longer being able to shorten skirts/pants etc. It changed the entire concept of how to create custom clothes. And what could be altered. Good or bad it totally changed CAS/bodyshop custom clothes creations.

Adding another life state that can and does enter home worlds and subhoods, you can play that Sim or leave as a townie.

It added a way (entire game) to save a Sim from death. There wasn't a way to get back a dead Sim in TS2. That's a big deal, fully restored with all memories (huge coding to get that right) and all skills and status. Huge deal to be able to resurrect a dead Sim buried in the graveyard or setting on a shelf in an Urn from year before.

It added new objects as career rewards as I said but those rewards are owned by the lot, not the family and that is huge (unlike TS4) if a family moved out you could keep the object on the lot for anyone to use. Any Sim could go to jail and or burn up or get rich by using one of them. Or call Grim Reaper or some other things. That expands gameplay for entire game. Not just a family who sent someone to college and got a particular job. Expanded sandbox in that way.

Later in a later EP move out code changed, and you had to sell furniture etc. but when Uni was released that wasn't the case. You could duplicate the lot as much as you wanted and keep all furniture in a used lot, including career objects.

It added for the first time ever, being able to move one Sim out of a home and move them into a different home (add to family) from neighborhood view. This is the standard today, and it's becaue of University in TS2 this is carried over to all future games.

New animations and interactions not in the basegame. Yes, they all should do that, however, University expands those interactions and animations to all parts of the game.

I could list several more things but unless you dive into how an EP changes gameplay and adds to it and all future packs and past then game mechanics don't really matter but University EP is just as much a game changer as OFB was with it's game mechanics. Some things are under the hood and an average casual or new player may not remember them and or realise why some things are the way they are now in all later games.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    no it

I'm not going to "correct you" because your logic sense is clearly out of orbit. Many people have already pointed out to you what TS2 University actually included, on other threads because you keep on repeating yourself. And it had quite a lot. The sole fact that it had 3 different neighborhoods destroys the argument that it had nothing when compared to TS4, since an EP right now could never even do that. At this stage you're just trolling.

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    no it

I'm not going to "correct you" because your logic sense is clearly out of orbit. Many people have already pointed out to you what TS2 University actually included, on other threads because you keep on repeating yourself. And it had quite a lot. The sole fact that it had 3 different neighborhoods destroys the argument that it had nothing when compared to TS4, since an EP right now could never even do that. At this stage you're just trolling.

but she said that sims 3 was better not sims 4 also I never like uni that much in sims 2 0r 3
    I'm hoping 4 will be the one I enjoy
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    no it

but she said that sims 3 was better not sims 4 also I never like uni that much in sims 2 0r 3
    I'm hoping 4 will be the one I enjoy

Yes but this thread is discussing TS4. I liked University for both iterations. TS3 included a bit more focus on the academic part compared to TS2 even though there were less majors. I did not like however that the study/knowledge bar on TS3 lowered with time. It was like taking care of a whole other need whereas in TS2 it was a done deal. There was more time to party on TS2 I felt because of this.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimsStarfishSimsStarfish Posts: 147 Member
    I think the comment that the University Pack does re-use alot of content is fairly true across all sims games and with other packs as well.
    Like the things they need for Uni in terms of gameplay will be new careers, going to classes, grades, school clubs, parties, social groups/frats and dorms.
    So for the new careers they just use the old career framework, change the name, times , pay and write new notification text.
    For the classes if they are rabbit hole they just disappear and go to class the same way they go to work
    As someone mentioned grades can work like the freelancer system
    There are already a few clubs for children I think, so they can just change the names to add more and its rabbit hole too.
    Parties are already in the game, just add new tasks and maybe objects
    Social groups/frats can use the celebrity/vampire system with perks and quirks
    Dorms will be the only really new type of gameplay and maybe a new student building but that will just be a building with options

That is why I hope they actually introduce some more new game play like having multiple jobs for one career so a sim in the business career could choose between different jobs for different companies, each with their own perks and bad things, kind of like actor gig choices and have CV's and higher levels of jobs are easy to get if you a University degree but if you dont you struggle from level 6 up.

Revamp the schooling systems as well maybe add in tests or exams or something other than doing some homework and getting and A,B,C
    Maybe kids have like 3 subjects and doing skills improves those subjects and they write an exam for each subject and have a study book for it.

In terms of objects they generally provide a few new game play objects with packs which is nice

I know we will probably get the bare bones that we always get so just hoping for new game play features,

• Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    Just checked out that dutch link and those sims are not from sims 4. They look more like sims 3 sims.
    Someone is playing with us.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    Frn0731 wrote: »
    Just checked out that dutch link and those sims are not from sims 4. They look more like sims 3 sims.
    Someone is playing with us.

The images are placeholders. They do not reflect anything.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    Oh phew , had me worried there for a moment.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    Frn0731 wrote: »
    Oh phew , had me worried there for a moment.

They did the same with IL.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1