Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teen Sim's unusual devotion and crushing heartbreak

Nathaniel is an unusual young man, with a really beautiful personality and voice (and nice looking, too) who didn't involve himself in romantic pursuits, seemed to have a serious nature, but the only girl he fell for happened to be pretty, popular, and on the path to fame, though he was but one of a string of casual boyfriends, to her. I should have seen this coming, but I never saw it before in any teen situations.

So after a great date and a night of singing really beautifully together at karaoke, they were so natural together, and their friendship was so effortless, (in contrast to how much effort she had to put into some of her other relationships) that when the option to exchange Promise Rings came up, he took it...but shocked the heck out of me when he gulped, steadied his pounding heart, and dropped to one knee!

Uh...what?! I have had teens exchange promise rings before and it was never like a proposal! Weird...and then...
It all went bad.
She gave a hard no with a little shove of "Getawayfrommeyoufreak!" and he recoiled in horror and extreme embarrassment, and I got a message that I never saw before, something about "It is a rare thing for a Sim to be ready to make such a strong commitment at such a young age!" which may have been a standard consolation message, but I never saw it before when other teen Sims got the no on a Promise Ring exchange, which happened rarely (the no) but didn't seem to happen so traumatically.

I felt so bad for him, because he was taking it so hard and she wasn't. Apparently he doesn't give his heart lightly, and this was far more to him than it could be, to her.

It felt like he needed to be alone, to get away. I moved him out of the place in Del Sol he was splitting bills with 7 other teens with (including her!) and set him up building himself a little cabin in Sylvan Glade, where he could fish, be alone, and reflect. And maybe, recover. He didn't wallow in self-pity, but got on with the business of life despite a lingering hurt.

He just seems different from most other teen Sims, as if he were an adult walking around in a teen body, just waiting to be able to take life to the next level. But he seems to have decided that romance is best avoided until he can deal with someone ready for it, who knows what she wants in life. I was just so surprised at how differently this played out, than it ever has with any of my other teen romances. He's a Sim to watch, now, for me.
Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    That's interesting. I've never had that happen either, although, I haven't played a lot with the exchange promise rings interaction. It makes for a good story though. I love it when little surprises like that pop up in this game.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Nathaniel is an unusual young man, with a really beautiful personality and voice (and nice looking, too) who didn't involve himself in romantic pursuits, seemed to have a serious nature, but the only girl he fell for happened to be pretty, popular, and on the path to fame, though he was but one of a string of casual boyfriends, to her. I should have seen this coming, but I never saw it before in any teen situations.

So after a great date and a night of singing really beautifully together at karaoke, they were so natural together, and their friendship was so effortless, (in contrast to how much effort she had to put into some of her other relationships) that when the option to exchange Promise Rings came up, he took it...but shocked the heck out of me when he gulped, steadied his pounding heart, and dropped to one knee!

Uh...what?! I have had teens exchange promise rings before and it was never like a proposal! Weird...and then...
    It all went bad.
    She gave a hard no with a little shove of "Getawayfrommeyoufreak!" and he recoiled in horror and extreme embarrassment, and I got a message that I never saw before, something about "It is a rare thing for a Sim to be ready to make such a strong commitment at such a young age!" which may have been a standard consolation message, but I never saw it before when other teen Sims got the no on a Promise Ring exchange, which happened rarely (the no) but didn't seem to happen so traumatically.

I felt so bad for him, because he was taking it so hard and she wasn't. Apparently he doesn't give his heart lightly, and this was far more to him than it could be, to her.

It felt like he needed to be alone, to get away. I moved him out of the place in Del Sol he was splitting bills with 7 other teens with (including her!) and set him up building himself a little cabin in Sylvan Glade, where he could fish, be alone, and reflect. And maybe, recover. He didn't wallow in self-pity, but got on with the business of life despite a lingering hurt.

He just seems different from most other teen Sims, as if he were an adult walking around in a teen body, just waiting to be able to take life to the next level. But he seems to have decided that romance is best avoided until he can deal with someone ready for it, who knows what she wants in life. I was just so surprised at how differently this played out, than it ever has with any of my other teen romances. He's a Sim to watch, now, for me.

its probably a mod feature.
  • Options
    If it's a mod feature I would love to know which mod and how to do it! That would make a great storyline.
    "Don't wish...Don't start.
    Wishing only wounds the heart."

feca3b79-16b1-4d90-b2f5-1df8ce10c536_zps37cfddca.png?t=1422482021
    Origin ID: Simintoxication
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    @Nushnushganay That is quite a story you've got going! What fun — for you, not really for your young Sim. I feel so badly for him. He may just be a more mature teen. My 6th great-grandfather was rather mature for his young age. He married my 6th great-grandmother when he was just sixteen in 1761. While love wasn't really a criteria for marriage during this time period, biographers have said "he was singularly devoted" to Sarah. Sarah was close to nine months his junior. They were quite the pair and had ten children together before her untimely demise. It is said he carried her close to his heart for the remainder of his days on earth. If that isn't love, I don't know what is. Seems your Sim might have to try again with this gal, perhaps, when she gets a tad older and discovers that she isn't a bee that needs to flit from Sim to Sim to Sim. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    If it's a mod feature I would love to know which mod and how to do it! That would make a great storyline.

If it's a mod, it's news to me. I would love some insight as to how and why this happened. The only mods I have are things like windows and hairstyles. Not even MCCC or anything.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    Karon wrote: »
    its probably a mod feature.

but I don't have MCCC or WW or MC Woohoo or anything! All I have are a few custom content items like draperies and hairstyles, but that couldn't be it, come to think of it, because the last update turned those off, and I had only gone in and turned them back on after this happened. Custom content for objects like hairstyles doesn't affect the rules of gameplay though, right?

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    Since I didn't have any mods such as WW or MCCC to explain this, this makes me really want to see if I can duplicate it. I once noticed to my complete shock that two married Sims were already related (she was his niece) despite no mods and I wasn't able to duplicate that with any other Sims...romance interactions didn't even come up. My only guess was that somehow it happened because one of his parents was deleted, and so somehow the program missed the relationship enough to let romance happen, yet still had that he was her uncle, right there along with spouse? I don't get it but it was my only guess. Couldn't make it happen again. Hoping this won't be like that..it was so momentous. Gonna have to try again, either with other Sims or possibly these two if I take her age down again (she accidentally tasted frosting at someone else's party and aged up to adult before her time, so she and he need to both be teens to try it again.

Will be really disappointed if I can't reproduce it.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    @Nushnushganay That is quite a story you've got going! What fun — for you, not really for your young Sim. I feel so badly for him. He may just be a more mature teen. My 6th great-grandfather was rather mature for his young age. He married my 6th great-grandmother when he was just sixteen in 1761. While love wasn't really a criteria for marriage during this time period, biographers have said "he was singularly devoted" to Sarah. Sarah was close to nine months his junior. They were quite the pair and had ten children together before her untimely demise. It is said he carried her close to his heart for the remainder of his days on earth. If that isn't love, I don't know what is. Seems your Sim might have to try again with this gal, perhaps, when she gets a tad older and discovers that she isn't a bee that needs to flit from Sim to Sim to Sim. ;)

Out of curiosity, was this 6th great-grandfather in real life, or in game? Really cool story either way, but far more fascinating if it were real.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I feel bad for him
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Has the bug with promise rings been fixed yet? I haven't used it in so long because it stopped the sims from getting married when they grew up to young adult.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I have had a teen sim propose autonomously. Her proposal was accepted. I was shocked, because they were in high school and she was unflirty! But I guess she just wanted to lock him down early... I do have mods, but nothing like that has ever happened in my game since. I also didn't let them marry until they became adults.
  • Options
    Has the bug with promise rings been fixed yet? I haven't used it in so long because it stopped the sims from getting married when they grew up to young adult.

It must have been fixed because I have had teens who exchanged rings get married as adults, no problem.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    izecson wrote: »
    I feel bad for him

Thanks. I did too, but was determined to turn things around for him. He became a celebrity and then the next time he saw her, she fell on her face in a swoon as Sims often do when they spot a celebrity. I don't like the idea of him trying again with her, but he seems to have wanted to, and gave her a rose with a message about every day together being a fairy tale, and that he couldn't wait for the happy ever after with her. I had mixed emotions. I mean, he seems to really want HER, but if he wasn't good enough for her before he hit it big...?

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I feel bad for him

Thanks. I did too, but was determined to turn things around for him. He became a celebrity and then the next time he saw her, she fell on her face in a swoon as Sims often do when they spot a celebrity. I don't like the idea of him trying again with her, but he seems to have wanted to, and gave her a rose with a message about every day together being a fairy tale, and that he couldn't wait for the happy ever after with her. I had mixed emotions. I mean, he seems to really want HER, but if he wasn't good enough for her before he hit it big...?
    He gave her a message which said that? I’ve never seen that before
  • Options
    I feel bad for him

Yes! I am really excited now, thinking I stumbled onto something I didn't realize existed, some sort of deeper thing teens can do without mods, that I never saw them do before? I never saw these messages but then again, never had gift-giving options before Seasons, so maybe it's a Seasons thing? I love how the game keeps us guessing!

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member

It must have been fixed because I have had teens who exchanged rings get married as adults, no problem.

Great. I'll try it at some point.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    edited September 2019
    I feel bad for him

@MaggieMarley It's part of the "give romantic gift" interaction, I think.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    AyKooChao wrote: »
    I feel bad for him

@MaggieMarley It's part of the "give romantic gift" interaction, I think.
    Thanks @AyKooChao I guess my sims don’t give romantic gifts very often because I’m cheap :D and I don’t pay much attention to most of the notifications I get