March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm starting to think it's not gonna get better.

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    LilSimsie doesn't like occult content. She has made this very clear in the past. As much as I like her and her channel, I don't think I'd trust her to review an occult pack and not be biased against it.
    Good thing not everyone is a LilSimsie then despite that some of the Gurus thinking we are. Honestly that is what I love about the Sims community is how we are all different and like different things. I like occult content, but I wouldn't mind toggles for it for storytelling purposes.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    The Sims 4 has been out for five years now. If you don't like it by now, you probably won't start enjoying it in the future. I honestly doubt they'll change major things in the gameplay anytime soon. (Still hoping for an attraction system and zodiac signs, though. Loved that stuff.)

Personally, although I agree it's flawed, I love Sims 4 a lot. So I'm wondering what could be added to the game which would make you appreciate it again? Or have you reached the point where it's pretty much ruined for you and you just want to give your frustration a voice? (Please don't get my last sentence wrong. It might sound a bit provoking, but it isn't meant that way at all. I'm sorry the game disappointed you so much. I know how it is to get your hopes slowly crushed over time, and a lot of money being involved makes it even worse.)
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
    The Sims 4 has been out for five years now. If you don't like it by now, you probably won't start enjoying it in the future. I honestly doubt they'll change major things in the gameplay anytime soon. (Still hoping for an attraction system and zodiac signs, though. Loved that stuff.)

Personally, although I agree it's flawed, I love Sims 4 a lot. So I'm wondering what could be added to the game which would make you appreciate it again? Or have you reached the point where it's pretty much ruined for you and you just want to give your frustration a voice? (Please don't get my last sentence wrong. It might sound a bit provoking, but it isn't meant that way at all. I'm sorry the game disappointed you so much. I know how it is to get your hopes slowly crushed over time, and a lot of money being involved makes it even worse.)
    I think when it comes down to it, it is tweaking the base game how the Sims behave less robotic. Right now they feel no different from the Simbots from Into the Future. I want them to simulate humans rather than robots in the game that feel like Stepford Wives. So between that and the scary babies, the Sims right now scare me a lot rather than make me feel relatable. So it is the Sims themselves that need fixing and no amount of DLC is going to fix the AI programmed into the base game itself. Plus the story progression how it is coded is messy and causing a lot of issues for people with the forced townies being generated into the game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    @Scobre I agree, they really come off as robotic sometimes. I was an avid Sims 2 player and am missing several features from it. Unrequited love, sims holding grudges, bootlickers (I don't know how they're called in English). Mostly tiny features, but they still added a lot to the gameplay in my opinion.
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    edited September 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    LilSimsie doesn't like occult content. She has made this very clear in the past. As much as I like her and her channel, I don't think I'd trust her to review an occult pack and not be biased against it.

So you need to like it to review it? Doesn't that make the person also biased?

Maybe, but the issue I was getting at was that Lilsimsie doesn't like the content, so she doesn't play it. How can she properly (and unbiasedly) review a pack whose content she's never going to use outside of the review? In order to review RoM, she'd have to play it, and she's stated in the past she doesn't like occult gameplay, so she's automatically not going to enjoy whatever she tests, which is going to show in her review. Someone who enjoys playing occults might be more inclined to positively review the pack, but at least I would know that if they did say something negative about the gameplay, it's not solely because they don't like occult gameplay.
    Post edited by floridameerkat on
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    There's a thread over in the feedback forum called The Comparison Thread. It's a big read, but it covers a lot of the issues of why TS4 is lacking what the previous games had as far as the sims having real, unique, in-depth personalities. If they could just rework traits to have more of an impact that's not just emotions, I think we could have something pretty good.
    Maybe, but the issue I was getting at was that Lilsimsie doesn't like the content, so she doesn't play it. How can she properly (and unbiasedly) review a pack whose content she's never going to use outside of the review? In order to review RoM, she'd have to play it, and she's stated in the past she doesn't like occult gameplay, so she's automatically not going to enjoy whatever she tests, which is going to show in her review. Someone who enjoys playing occults might be more inclined to positively review the pack, but at least I would know that if they did say something negative about the gameplay, it's not solely because they don't like occult gameplay.
    Sorry if I missed a part of the conversation, but I wanted to pop in to say that I think because she's a builder, she'd focus on the build mode and what's good and bad about it. Which, in her video, she mostly (if not fully, it's been a while since I watched it) talked about build mode. Disliking occult gameplay wouldn't affect her review of that.

So, I’m seeing posts that are still missing the big point that everyone's trying to make. This is The Sims 4, the 4th iteration of a big franchise that’s been going for years, and fans have expectations that it should be and play as such, especially compared to the previous games. Of course, the game has come a long way from where it began, but 5 years in, the base game still feels incomplete. And not only that, but some of the features are just lackluster and disappointing, like mermaids and emotions. Or whims that I guess they couldn’t figure out how to fix, so they just decided to hide them. Teens essentially being Young Adults who go to school and the Adult life stage being useless. Etc., etc. It's okay if you like the game for what it is, but I think there are some very valid concerns and frustrations we're trying to bring to light.
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    BreeNilla wrote: »
    There's a thread over in the feedback forum called The Comparison Thread. It's a big read, but it covers a lot of the issues of why TS4 is lacking what the previous games had as far as the sims having real, unique, in-depth personalities. If they could just rework traits to have more of an impact that's not just emotions, I think we could have something pretty good.

Sorry if I missed a part of the conversation, but I wanted to pop in to say that I think because she's a builder, she'd focus on the build mode and what's good and bad about it. Which, in her video, she mostly (if not fully, it's been a while since I watched it) talked about build mode. Disliking occult gameplay wouldn't affect her review of that.

You can't review half a pack and then conclude it's not a good pack. She hadn't looked into the gameplay at the time of her review and based her opinion of everything entirely on the build quality.

Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
    edited September 2019
    You can't review half a pack and then conclude it's not a good pack. She hadn't looked into the gameplay at the time of her review and based her opinion of everything entirely on the build quality.
    I dont think she concluded it was not a good pack, but she was annoyed about the sloppy quality we’ve been getting. Which, she’s not wrong. Plus, she prefaced everything saying she’s a builder and she doesn’t like occults. If she never made it known that she’s not a fan of supernaturals and had a bad review, then I’d see the problem.

She also never gave an opinion on the gameplay. So if someone was actually watching her, a builder, which she states she is, for a review of gameplay, they’re in the wrong place. Again, her dislike of supernaturals has nothing to do with her review of the builds.

And to tie it all back in to the topic and the points she was making in her video, it’s sloppy mistakes that would have been caught during play testing and we’re being given lower quality than expected. And not just in RoM, but in many packs. The recent annoyance that she and James are showing is a buildup, not a sudden opinion. And they’re not the only two that show it.

I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I dont think she concluded it was not a good pack, but she was annoyed about the sloppy quality we’ve been getting. Which, she’s not wrong. Plus, she prefaced everything saying she’s a builder and she doesn’t like occults. If she never made it known that she’s not a fan of supernaturals and had a bad review, then I’d see the problem.

She also never gave an opinion on the gameplay. So if someone was actually watching her, a builder, which she states she is, for a review of gameplay, they’re in the wrong place. Again, her dislike of supernaturals has nothing to do with her review of the builds.

And to tie it all back in to the topic and the points she was making in her video, it’s sloppy mistakes that would have been caught during play testing and we’re being given lower quality than expected. And not just in RoM, but in many packs. The recent annoyance that she and James are showing is a buildup, not a sudden opinion. And they’re not the only two that show it.

Agree so much.
  • StilettoBlackStilettoBlack Posts: 3,844 Member
    I saw this thread a few days ago, and this is what made me decide to get this pack. I thought if they don't like it this much, I'll see for myself and then just wait for ts5. Not spend another penny on this bad game.
    But just the opposite happened. I absolutely love this game pack. I've had so much fun with it!
    And now, knowing that children born of witches will have a weak, strong & ancient bloodline, I need to buy all the stuff for kids. I never bought Parenthood or anything for toddlers or kids. Now I will. I'm going to freakin raise some kids now! WOO!
    edited September 2019
    Haha, that's cool, I'm glad you like it. I'm personally waiting for a sale to get it myself.

However, none of the game changers from the videos on the front page ever said they didn't like the pack or it was a bad pack. They were just bringing up the issues with the level of quality in recent packs. James' video wasn't even about RoM. Plumbella said the pack itself is great. Kayla criticized the in-game builds (not the whole game pack, just the builds) and Carl criticized the easiness, but acknowledged that people like easy.
    Haha, that's cool, I'm glad you like it. I'm personally waiting for a sale to get it myself.

However, none of the game changers from the videos on the front page ever said they didn't like the pack or it was a bad pack. They were just bringing up the issues with the level of quality in recent packs. James' video wasn't even about RoM. Plumbella said the pack itself is great. Kayla criticized the in-game builds (not the whole game pack, just the builds) and Carl criticized the easiness, but acknowledged that people like easy.
    It is actually more challenging than Dine Out or Jungle Adventures is. I just barely dived into the pack and still not bored with it yet. So yes I am enjoying the pack a lot, especially with the crashing of my game getting fixed with the recent patch.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2019

I can agree with that but that was a poor choice on her part. Even when someone doesn't like a theme of a pack you'd have to play through a lot of it in order to properly review it, if you want to actually review it and not put up a video as quickly as possible just so that you can get that youtube ad revenue.

Personally I don't like to watch her videos, she can be very annoying to me. Sometimes her opinions make sense, other times not so much.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    I've moved this over to the feedback section as it's more fitting. Carry on.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I just wish they'd listen to us TOO! Seems like you need to be a face in the simming community to get simgurus to listen to your complaints. Just think about the more important things that interrupt game play that could have had a fix rushed out, but instead a very slightly color difference in counter tops sent james turner over the edge and lo and behold a few days later... patch to fix them :|

Yeah, that is sort of annoying isn't it. When I would hope they would listen to the outrage about bugs more. And not just an oversight of a flag and or a swatch for counters which brought down the house and needed an immediate fix like omg, get out there and fix that stuff! When DO and some others remain broken.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    The part that bothers me the most is, to use poker parlance, I’m pot-committed at this point. I’ve sunk enough money into this thing since 2014 that I can’t bring myself to walk away now even though I haven’t played in months.

Well, good thing we aren’t running a business here. We can freely walk away and then return when all of the packs are cheaper.

Island Paradise hit a whopping 50% off on Bestbuy just a month or two after the game’s release. Other expansions frequently dip below $20.

I just don’t see why anyone would purchase into poor quality packs with that mindset. You are only supporting something you don’t even want, and enabling things to continue.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,902 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    The part that bothers me the most is, to use poker parlance, I’m pot-committed at this point. I’ve sunk enough money into this thing since 2014 that I can’t bring myself to walk away now even though I haven’t played in months.

Well, good thing we aren’t running a business here. We can freely walk away and then return when all of the packs are cheaper.

Island Paradise hit a whopping 50% off on Bestbuy just a month or two after the game’s release. Other expansions frequently dip below $20.

I just don’t see why anyone would purchase into poor quality packs with that mindset. You are only supporting something you don’t even want, and enabling things to continue.

You get that feeling, get everything before it ends and then add all the mods and cc you wouldn't use before because it messed up your game. :D I still like building and decorating with it and it is more to my taste than any of the others. I'm more interested in Will Wright's dollhouse than gameplay. I'll complete the set until Maxis give up. Sorry.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2019
    Scobre wrote: »
    This is interesting too on how Simmers really feel about the game:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RisemHUmYWE

Those are the types of surveys that Maxis should be doing, no joke. Some of the developers seem really out of touch.

I just wish they'd listen to us TOO! Seems like you need to be a face in the simming community to get simgurus to listen to your complaints. Just think about the more important things that interrupt game play that could have had a fix rushed out, but instead a very slightly color difference in counter tops sent james turner over the edge and lo and behold a few days later... patch to fix them :|

It's better to take that first step than to never move at all.

There was a time that the Game Changers were unceasing cheerleaders, in love with absolutely everything. Finally, some are admitting that there are problems with the game.

Granted, the stuff that a couple of them are choosing to focus on are superficial, at best. Yet, those things are important to them and that's where they have decided to begin. In any case, the flood gates have opened even though it has started with a trickle. Game Changers are beginning to change the game in ways that are positive for consumers in general. They're taking their title seriously and I'm grateful.

Perhaps, the more in-depth critiques of Youtubers such as LGR and Carl will finally be taken into account as well. Although, I won't be holding my breath. It's much easier to fix swatches and mesh issues than it is to tackle the issues that are present in the very core of the game engine.

It's been my experience that, in some instances, I have to practically fight the game in order to use it in the ways that I want to. It stands to reason that the developers may be having similar and ongoing battles of their own. The engine is obviously difficult to work with. If it weren't so poor many of the things that were possible in decades-old versions of the game wouldn't be impossible in this one.

Quoted for truth. You outlined a lot of the salient points that so many others have missed. Nicely done.
    Post edited by Cynna on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I'm amazed and disappointed at the amount of people willing to brush such laziness aside, and then everyone wonders why this team cut so many corners and leave so much out.

I am too. I don't know why I'm surprised, honestly. This has been happening since before The Sims 4 was released so it really shouldn't shock me as much as it does but I'm still surprised that there are simmers who do not see that these little things that players and those youtubers are so-called "nitpicking" at are syptoms of bigger issues. And some of us have been pointing out some of those issues, and other little issues that would probably be considered nitpicking as well, from the start.

We don't criticize this game for fun. We want to love it, and myself, I don't want The Sims 5 traveling this same path. I want better for it than all the previous games so stuff like what the game changers mentioned and issues that we "complainers" have been speaking up about from the start, things people have been saying since The Sims 3 and even The Sims 2, yeah, they need to step up. Mods and work arounds shouldn't be needed because they never bother to fix things. And just because Sims 3 had problems doesn't mean Sims 4's problems are excused. I've said it before and I'll say it again, that makes it worse, because they haven't changed at all. It's still part of a bad pattern and a bad habit that needs to change. Mistakes happen, that's understandable, but how one handles mistakes is what's telling and how they handle mistakes (unless pointed out by a game changer) says a lot. And how many times, as a company releasing a product in exchange for cash, can they or should they keep making the same mistakes over and over again and how many times should we excuse it?

What also saddens me, but this one doesn't shock me too much, is how players don't realize how connected the different groups of players are. We rely on each other whether we realize it or not. Let's say, builders just stopped purchasing the game, stopped playing, and abandoned it for some reason. How much of a hit would the series take in pocketbook? What about the gallery? Players who can't or don't build? Let's say modders stopped modding and abandoned the game, took all their mods offline for some reason. What happens to the series with no one but EA to fix it? If family players left how different would all the lifestages be? They're already lacking right now in part because they believe family gameplay like Parenthood and Generations is risky and what they add to the games is just stuff generally experienced in life.

Those groups suddenly up and leaving is likely not going to happen but there's too much reliance on each other to keep writing groups off or even asking why someone who doesn't dabble in that area should care. It doesn't affect you until it affects you. At the very least having these different groups of players helps keep the game up and going still. We should be sticking together but I feel like this game in particular and the way the gurus have handled things has us more divided now than ever.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    Phew I am glad I never watch any reviews by sponsors in youtube.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited September 2019

I think we have already talked and talked, the thing is they do not care what we want, Why, because sales are doing well. So as long as we are buying the packs, us, not being happy is just, so what they are always complaining.
    All Simmers know what's wrong we see all the problems while we play the game, or build on Sims 4. The EA team do not play the game, I do not believe that at all. Sure they like to make silly with the game, that's one reason I do not watch them because they play Sims Party, and I do not have that pack. I do not play with 7 or more friends being silly, with none of our needs going down because they just keep their needs in green while being silly.

We need one thing to fix the problem with EA/Maxis not giving a care and hastily giving us packs that they obviously have not checked it in- gameplay. We Need Pack refunds. How dare they tell us, we bought the base game in 2014, so from now on we can give you sloppy made and junk packs and you can not do anything about it. Because you can only get a refund on packs you bought with the base game,? seriously its 2019 and we can not get refunds because we bought the base game in 2014,? duh: 2019 packs were not out yet, we did not know that the quality would drop this much so that's not a good argument for senseless unreasonable rules. If we can not get Pack refunds I will just ignore them as they ignore us. It's not a big deal 7days to 2 weeks pack refunds.
    So when we start giving them back their untested junk packs, for a full refund ;) then they will stop giving us broken untested junk packs.

Now , what James said about the kitchen counter with the drawers on the wrong side, well I did not quite understand, not until I ask a sim to remove the plate from the counter, of course I had a barstool under the counter, but Sims still refused to clean it up, so I move it to the back of the counter and sent the Sim behind it to clean up the plate, nope still could not pick it up and its right next to them, Are they playing jokes on us Simmers, Its true they do not in-game test before they haphazardly throw us these untested packs.
    Good thing for us simmers because EA/Maxis Sims 4 would have been in the trash if not for the Simmers keeping the quality up by complaining and not allowing them to keep making a mess.

No Refunds is the reason for poor quality products.

we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,169 Member
    *yawn*

Why should I care about lilsimsie since I'm not a builder?

Because this is a game you pay for,and you should expect it to be complete.
    Actually some of the people who incessantly complain about sims 4 don't play the other games. All the while, insisting that they are the better games. So it's silly to act like all who complain do @Trashmagic

You have proof of this.People still play because they love this franchise.
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

So you need to like it to review it? Doesn't that make the person also biased?

I saw her vidio. She was reviewing the houses .She has some fair points how the houses in the game are not finish.I love Realm of magic.The houses should been complete.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited September 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

You get that feeling, get everything before it ends and then add all the mods and cc you wouldn't use before because it messed up your game. :D I still like building and decorating with it and it is more to my taste than any of the others. I'm more interested in Will Wright's dollhouse than gameplay. I'll complete the set until Maxis give up. Sorry.

Hey, it's your money and you are 100% in charge of where it goes -- no need to apologize to anyone for it.

I just personally grew tired of dropping $20 on a pack and then running back to TS2/TS3 for my Simming fix. Even though I'm in a position where I could continue purchasing packs (and I would love to once The Sims gets it together again), nothing beats putting that money towards a game I feel fully immersed and happy with.