March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm starting to think it's not gonna get better.

Comments

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Simmify wrote: »
    Actually some of the people who incessantly complain about sims 4 don't play the other games. All the while, insisting that they are the better games. So it's silly to act like all who complain do @Trashmagic

I play 2 , 3 and 4 thank you very much?
    Barbie430 wrote: »

There's still sims 3 and sims 2 though, and according to sims 4's critics, those are better games, so why not just play those instead? its not like sims 4 is the only sims game or the first.... @So_Money

I just reread this thread and no one has brought up the previous games. They are talking about Sims 4 and it’s quality in their opinion. Not sure why you’d try to dismiss them by saying they should play earlier versions when that wasn’t the discussion.

People are allowed to praise or criticize whatever they choose about the game, even if it may seem inconsequential to you. But telling them their opinion doesn’t matter, or that they should get over it, or commenting on a YouTuber’s personality rather than what they said to discredit them isn’t cool.

Personally, on its own these smaller things don’t bother me too much, but when you couple it with some of the larger concerns some simmers (and game changers) have been voicing for the past few months it adds up and I can understand why they feel frustrated.

If Maxis wants to continue the Sims 4 for several more years then maintaining quality is a big deal, and if simmers believe that there is a drop in it then they should speak out about it, as I hope anyone having problems would. But that’s just me.

THANK YOU <3
  • Simmify wrote: »
    Actually some of the people who incessantly complain about sims 4 don't play the other games. All the while, insisting that they are the better games. So it's silly to act like all who complain do @Trashmagic

I play 2 , 3 and 4 thank you very much?

Is there a reason you shared this to general and not feedback? I mean, when people have said negative things about sims 3 in their general discussion, there is the same response. Thats why there is a feedback area .
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member

Have you bothered to ask or is this an assumption? Really you don't even need to ask. Many people who critique Sims 4 have stated they play older games and even some play Sims 4. I won't say all, but most on this forum who do critique 4 have also stated they play the older games or 4 or all of them.
    Allow me to testify that I think Sims 4 needs major improvements and I play Sims 2, 3, & 4. I also think Sims 2 is the best of them all. 😊
  • SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
    edited September 2019
    I did ask SoMoney, does he play 2 or 3 and he doesn't. So there are obviously players who do complain/trash sims 4 and yet don't play the others for reasons unknown @Trashmagic . I thought Sims 3 wasn't that great either, but I just left the game and I didn't constantly trash it to those who like it.

i think its valid not to like something. but sims 4 is constantly being attacked for nitpicky stuff. not saying all complaints are.

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2019
    I did ask SoMoney, does he play 2 or 3 and he doesn't. So there are obviously players who do complain/trash sims 4 and yet don't play the others for reasons unknown

Actually, I gave reasons. So the reasons aren’t unknown.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    So... Yeah I agree overall with the critique's about the lack of in the packs recently. I have yet to get Island Living and ROM. Though there are aspects in each pack I really do love and can't wait to have in my game. Island Living i'm just waiting on it to go on sale even though the hype on it was very pleasing until it actually came out, I came to this decision because a lot of what I was seeing didn't seem cross pack compatible. The majority gameplay and items are restricted to the world of Sulani. And while it is a beautiful world it isn't a place I would have my main gameplay, only a place I would visit from time to time. The only wait on ROM is because I just don't have the money for it right now. I didn't expect much from the world since we haven't been getting much anyways when it comes to lots in worlds, and I always make adjustments on the lots so fixing problems with them aren't that big of a deal to me. I've been wanting witches (spellcasters) in my game for a long time and I look forward to having this feature. And though I know gameplay can get boring quick with Sims 4, I only ever play with witches once and then just enjoy the items that come with it. I've been playing Sims since 2000 and making magic was the funnest. That doesn't mean I'm discarding or gonna tear at ROM in Sims 4. I've come to realize with recent releases, debates, and even guru statements that the Sims is taking a new direction from previous games so I don't expect the same kind of play anymore in Sims 4. With that said I still like to play Sims 4 and will continue to get content I want in my game. For instance I will never buy my first pet stuff and unless they add some kind of model career to the game I won't be getting the moschino stuff pack either.

I will say this in agreement with these game changers, at this level of gaming development it is ridiculous that things like missing toilets and missing doors are left out of lots. I also agreed with lilsimsie (hope I got that right) the builds are very lacking. Builds in base game were of better design than what I've seen thus far in ROM. With that said I don't think it would hurt to have a small team of trust worthy game changers play through the game a month or two in advance of release to address these small issues and even bugs that may arise.
    WbUrFQm.png
    BreeNilla wrote: »
    musteni wrote: »
    A missing door and wrong coloured roof don't ruin a pack. Whatever.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So James was complaining about islands not matching counters and this girl is complaining about a roof?

I’d like to know who is avoiding buying the pack based on the reasons mentioned above?
    simm621 wrote: »
    A missing door, a roof not completed and missing cupboards. It would be sad to judge an entire pack on those few things.

I think y'all are missing the big picture here. James even said he wanted to open up conversation about the issue in his video, and while he only focused on a few, he knows there are way wayyy more problems with the game.

James and lilsimsie are both builders and they care a lot about what they do. They care about the quality of the game and they want it to be good. But it’s not. This isn’t a new game, it’s 5 years old. This isn’t a small company, it’s EA/Maxis. Sure, bugs and mistakes are going to happen. But a house without any toilets (GF), a misplaced fruit bowl rendering the counter unusable (Strangerville), stairs that lead to nowhere (RoM), island counters that are made incorrectly after waiting 3 months for them when a modder made one days after release (IL), no special animation for mermaids (IL), no matching cabinets with new counters (GF), another missing island counter (JA), etc., it’s like lilsimsie said. Sloppy. Mistakes that would be caught during playtesting and features with the quality intentionally lowered.

Not once did they say the pack/game is bad because of the things they pointed out. Not once did they say not to buy or play it. They’re just bringing up reoccurring problems that are really annoying to see in such a big name game, and one they love to play. You may have a different play style and therefore don’t care about their gripes. I’m not a builder, I get my houses from the gallery and I never would’ve noticed the columns or counter problem, but the fact still stands that the quality we’ve been getting is low.

I still haven't gotten RoM. I was so disappointed by Island Living that I refuse to buy another pack at full price. At least until they fix/update/overhaul the base game.

PREACH! Thank you SO much!
  • fullspiral wrote: »

Case in point..
    we need to start looking at how this series is going downhill.

It went downhill with the 3rd series. It was the beginning of the fall from the greatness that was 1 and 2.

they took a lot of quirkiness and cool stuff out, but that didn't start with sims 4. and yet some pretend that it did. which version people prefer is on them, but if we're going to talk about what changed, it didn't just start changing for the worse (in some ways) with sims 4. Sims 2 had the most heart and the best child hood stage. Ever since they moved on from Sims 2 , they treat children like they don't matter.

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    LGR...eh, not sure why anyone would just wait on his review if not for the humor as you can already tell he's burnt out on Sims related content in general already. Not to mention he's definitely not a fan of occult related sims or features. If anyone actually takes a deep look at the features in sim related packs, skills and more it'd be Carl's Sims 4 guide.

People make it sound like this is a new problem all of a sudden. It's not. GC's definitely have a bigger platform to work to guru's in their complaints and what's needed for the game (though it seems some of them are pretty cosmetic).

The base game just indefinitely needs some more long lasting gameplay to it. I enjoy the Sims 4, BUT there's definitely more I see that is needed to the base game. An attraction system, more likes and dislikes for sims, more substance to early life stages (babies toddlers, and children) and significant moments in a sims life (having a baby shower and sims being able to share the news with their family). Getting married is pretty drab and I'd like to see some different ceremonies , engagements parties, honeymoons and more to it). Then the NPC sims that have been still M.I.A though they been present in other series. More consequences I feel are still missing.

None of the other sim installments are perfect of course and have their problems, but S4 definitely needs more and I'd be completely fine with not having any packs just for them to work on more of the base game.

I would be fine if those thing were in packs not even base game
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Prink34320V2Prink34320V2 Posts: 156 Member
    I mean, I understand people's problems with the latest packs being rather poor in the builds department, and the devs definitely deserve criticism as we pay them for quality content, but I also can't help but feel like it is a bit nitpicky to focus on a few small mistakes when the vast majority of stuff we've been getting is pretty good, at least in my opinion.
  • ceinwynieceinwynie Posts: 162 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

Case in point..
    we need to start looking at how this series is going downhill.

It went downhill with the 3rd series. It was the beginning of the fall from the greatness that was 1 and 2.

they took a lot of quirkiness and cool stuff out, but that didn't start with sims 4. and yet some pretend that it did. which version people prefer is on them, but if we're going to talk about what changed, it didn't just start changing for the worse (in some ways) with sims 4. Sims 2 had the most heart and the best child hood stage. Ever since they moved on from Sims 2 , they treat children like they don't matter.

Exactly, for me it all started with the sims 3, I really think that TS4 is better than 3 because at least we have cute sims and it runs better, but they removed a lot of quirkiness from TS1 and TS2. So for me TS2 was the best one, TS3 I hated it and TS4 I learned to love.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    But having cute sims is fine and dandy but there’s nothing to do with them that has any real depth. The cute sims are just clones of each other. Sims 3 changed a lot and definitely not all good but sims 4 has made this game franchise a shadow of it former self. The sims 4 has a huge focus on being a safe space where we can all learn and grow according to their CM and that’s half the problem. It wants to be a tool not a game.

Sims 4 running better is subjective. I have a friend with a nvidia 2070 graphics card, for her the game hasn’t stopped crashing since she was given RoM. On the contrary she runs sims 3 beautifully. Sims 4 is full of bugs and that will only get worse.

I for one, am glad to see that others are starting to talk about this game in a more frank way.
    https://youtu.be/RisemHUmYWE
  • ceinwynieceinwynie Posts: 162 Member
    edited September 2019
    I just wish they would give us some cool stuff like zodiac signs, I know it’s not that important, but it give us more gameplay depth, I want the hobbies feature of the sims 2, how cool it was when a sim tried something and we discovered that now she has a new hobby and that she likes to dance more than anything? I want them to bring back the attraction tool, the possibility to send our kids to private school, prom and so on, that’s what I miss the most so for me, I think if they add these features then Ts4 will be perfect for me, but I don’t know if they ever will bring those things back :( so I get when I see a builder complaining because they forgot to put a stair into a building but for me that’s okay because we can just build a better house, the gameplay will be always more important to me, and in this case, speaking only about ROM, I think they did a good job with the witches
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    So James was complaining about islands not matching counters and this girl is complaining about a roof?

I’d like to know who is avoiding buying the pack based on the reasons mentioned above?
    A missing door, a roof not completed and missing cupboards. It would be sad to judge an entire pack on those few things.

I think y'all are missing the big picture here. James even said he wanted to open up conversation about the issue in his video, and while he only focused on a few, he knows there are way wayyy more problems with the game.

..//

This.
    One of the first times I began wondering about quality control was when Seasons broke festivals in San Myshuno.
    That to me was a clear indication that things were either being rushed or there was no money to cross test new packs. Or perhaps even that the project management for the different packs are so separate that they never interact with each other.
    I used to love playing the game, making Sims and families and intricate storylines. But these days I mostly just log in to build something, get frustrated by the lack of matching items (from the same pack sometimes!), try to play a little with some Sims and then get bored or annoyed because it's so buggy (hello, strange shadows on Mac that has been there for years now).
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    I'm one of the ones (still) hoping it gets better, but this year hasn't been promising for me, in regards to both gameplay and bugs.

BB seems to be the only thing that is continually improving. S4 BB is infinitely more stable on my rig, and while there are things I miss (spiral stairs) I find the tools, when they update (eg. terrain), are much more in-depth. I would love to go back to s2/3 for the gameplay (unless S4 has a trait overhaul), but I love S4's art style too much.

Re pickiness, lilsimie brought up a good point for console players who don't have the gallery. I don't know how good those controls are, but if building is as awkward as it looks, a missing toilet/door might be a less easy fix than it seems.
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    edited September 2019
    *yawn*

Why should I care about lilsimsie since I'm not a builder?

[Removed inappropriate comment, let's leave it out with unnecessary insults please ~Rtas]

You don't have to be a builder to realise that this is just another example of the severe lack of testing and quality control. And guess what....builder's are allowed an opinion about the game too, and it's just as valid as the opinion of 'gameplay' players. So why shouldn't we voice it?

Post edited by EA_Rtas on
  • ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    edited September 2019
    First of all, thank you OP for making this post.

James and lilsimsie are both builders and they care a lot about what they do. They care about the quality of the game and they want it to be good. But it’s not. This isn’t a new game, it’s 5 years old. This isn’t a small company, it’s EA/Maxis. Sure, bugs and mistakes are going to happen. But a house without any toilets (GF), a misplaced fruit bowl rendering the counter unusable (Strangerville), stairs that lead to nowhere (RoM), island counters that are made incorrectly after waiting 3 months for them when a modder made one days after release (IL), no special animation for mermaids (IL), no matching cabinets with new counters (GF), another missing island counter (JA), etc., it’s like lilsimsie said. Sloppy. Mistakes that would be caught during playtesting and features with the quality intentionally lowered.

Not once did they say the pack/game is bad because of the things they pointed out. Not once did they say not to buy or play it. They’re just bringing up reoccurring problems that are really annoying to see in such a big name game, and one they love to play. You may have a different play style and therefore don’t care about their gripes. I’m not a builder, I get my houses from the gallery and I never would’ve noticed the columns or counter problem, but the fact still stands that the quality we’ve been getting is low.

I still haven't gotten RoM. I was so disappointed by Island Living that I refuse to buy another pack at full price. At least until they fix/update/overhaul the base game.

&
    But having cute sims is fine and dandy but there’s nothing to do with them that has any real depth. The cute sims are just clones of each other. Sims 3 changed a lot and definitely not all good but sims 4 has made this game franchise a shadow of it former self. The sims 4 has a huge focus on being a safe space where we can all learn and grow according to their CM and that’s half the problem. It wants to be a tool not a game.

Sims 4 running better is subjective. I have a friend with a nvidia 2070 graphics card, for her the game hasn’t stopped crashing since she was given RoM. On the contrary she runs sims 3 beautifully. Sims 4 is full of bugs and that will only get worse.

I for one, am glad to see that others are starting to talk about this game in a more frank way.
    https://youtu.be/RisemHUmYWE

I agree with you two @BreeNilla and @MidnightAura so much. Your comments are great!

I have been playing The Sims games from the beginning. It's one of my favourite game franchises and for me TS4 is the worst entry yet. It's just boring, too easy and safe. It's pretty for sure but fresh paint doesn't really cover the biggest things that this game is lacking. Depth.

TS4 is good for people who wants to control every little detail, who doesn't want anything bad to happen and who are looking for a "safe space". But to me that isn't what a life simulation game is supposed to be. Life isn't all Disney. There are things you can't control in real life and that just makes The Sims 4 too shallow for me.
    I only play The Sims 4 when I want to build houses because that's something this game does well. When I actually wanna play The Sims I play TS2 or TS3.

I get it that some people really want to micromanage everything when it comes to games and TS4 is perfect game for players like that. And yes there are also players who just happens to like TS4. But then there are those people who defend The Sims 4 because they have invested so much time and money on it. It's understandable because that's how humans work. We try to defend our actions and don't want to admit that we may have done not so smart choises.. That's why criticizing and pointing out the "little" and not so little mistakes that devs have done is needed so the devs/maxis/ea knows what players want and why the players aren't happy.

There will always be people who disagree with you because taste is subjective. We should still respect their opinions.
    Post edited by ItsJanier on
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2019

I'm 100% sure it's opposite actually.

But even if you didn't you can't be oblivious at the fact that as of late they keep on recycling content from past packs and BG..... which is really off putting.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • NakkihevariNakkihevari Posts: 22 Member
    > @Lady_Ballora said:
    > Hopefully Farming and University packs will be 100 times better than Realm of Magic. I'm REALLY looking forward to Farming and University,and I hope they come pretty soon.

Wait, what? There will be a farming pack coming? I've been living under a rock apparently.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    > @Lady_Ballora said:
    > Hopefully Farming and University packs will be 100 times better than Realm of Magic. I'm REALLY looking forward to Farming and University,and I hope they come pretty soon.

Wait, what? There will be a farming pack coming? I've been living under a rock apparently.

It's not even confirmed, just a rumor for now
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    You should post Carl's video review, too. He's pretty bummed with this pack (gameplay) and if anyone cares to watch all of his review it becomes crystal clear what some of us see as the problem with it, and why we are skipping yet again, another pack. :/ It turned out exactly like I thought it would, and I don't always enjoy being right.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.