Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FPS drops and lag since ROM

13...Next

Comments

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    If there's an issue with the game like a memory leak or whatever, a good rig is not going to help. It's weird. When Sims 4 first came out, the loading screens after a few packs were unbearable though my machine was pretty high end at the time. There were people trying to write it off as me playing on a potato, down to one guy answering me and deleting my system specs in his answer. Turns out there were optimization issues that they were able to address.

Hopefully they fix this one soon, but this is the type of thing that can be hard to track down. Modders ended up having to fix Sims 3 to make it playable for most people. Even customer support would recommend NRaas or Awesome. Hopefully Maxis doesn't do that again.
  • LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    rjssim wrote: »
    Have you guys checked your CPU temperatures? Between the latest patch and RoM, I noticed that my CPU core temperatures have reached 87c at the highest! They are averaging out at 70c-81c. It wasn't like this before the latest patch to RoM. Skyrim on max settings maxes out at 50c!

I checked during one of the lag spikes and my temperatures were normal (50c), but my CPU usage just from the Sims alone was over 40%, way higher than usual. I don't know what triggers this because it comes and goes in my game. It was way worse some days ago, then it got better, but now it comes back randomly. There's definitely something going on, I never experienced this until recently.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2019
    Happens to me when going into Build mode. Drops down to like 12 fps.

If I open up the Options Menu and then close it, it goes back to normal.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited September 2019
    @Livinity Yup, there is something definitely going on with the recent update or RoM that the devs really need to fix.

Anyways, after hours of messing around with settings and testing, I have found a solution for (Nividia card users) for the meantime that gets rid of about 90% of the stutter on community lots that have a lot of Sims or large lots like Realm of Magic. It works for me anyways.

In TS4 settings, use the High Graphic settings and then change objects settings to medium. Also, make sure you are not using uncompressed Sim textures. I am also using the Borderless Window setting rather than full screen.

My Nividia control panel setting match that in the below screenshot.

71062187_2374922599286992_6549619298682273792_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQlMDjfMI25ET4DnVnGsx5wiW6IfoJB6d_WBXNVRtJY7ni51gccVbcS-EhC5dS-GJRw&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc2-1.fna&oh=89279d2219f2bc8dd21e04251fa2430c&oe=5DF1345F

After all of the adjustments I made, the game runs a lot more smooth and with minimal or next to nothing for camera stutter on community lots with lots of sims etc. Also, disabling turbo mode on my CPU fixed the problem with high CPU core temperatures. I am back at between 50c-60c.

As a recap, I never had to do any of these adjustments including turning off turbo mode for my CPU to get the performance back and the CPU core temperatures down. Before the latest patch or RoM, I had everything maxed out on TS4 including using uncompressed Sim textures and everything ran smooth and with low CPU temperatures. Even with these settings, I still can't use max settings anymore. So, the devs really need to look into this new issue that is affecting the performance of TS4 before it gets even worst.

As a reminder, my computer specs include: GTX 970, i7-6700, 32GB RAM, SSD, Windows 10 64-bit. For those with lower CPUs or lower Nividia graphic cards, you may need to adjust the in-game settings more.
    Post edited by rjssim on
  • Blink182loverzzzBlink182loverzzz Posts: 1 New Member
    I've been having major fps drops since the October patch, it'll drop to 30's,40's and sometimes even as low as 18! I didn't notice a fps drop when ROM came out because the world runs smoothly without lag, but since I finished that gameplay, and made a new family in any another world (in a new save), I get reallly low fps, my fps is fine on some community lots but as soon as they go to their residential lot, it is very laggy and stuttery... super annoying, haven't been able to play in weeks!