Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I am not feeling the Charm Family.

Comments

• chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    I'm sorry but the Charm household are terrible! It's not even about being shallow, there are plenty of Pre-Made Sims who aren't lookers but are actually well made (Gladys Morse and Hugo Villreal to name just a couple). They look like the designer clicked the randomise button, went with it and added the other Sims via genetics! Don't even get me started on the 'not Morgyn' sages. They've done a gameplay trailer with decent designed sages....why not just use those??
    The houses in Glimmerbrook are appalingly built, not just intentionally sparse because of item limitations I don't buy that argument when it comes to the Magic HQ....it's *literally* the one lot which can't be edited without cheats. Why not at least put the effort into that?

The content of Realm of Magic is decent....it's just a massive shame that the Pre-Made stuff is awfully presented.
  • ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    I don't know what it is about this household, but when I took a look at them I was like meh. I'm just not feeling this household, and this is a first for me in this game. The household consist of an old lady, and her two grown children, and the son's girlfriend. I've taken a closer look at this household of spell casters in CAS but I'm just not really anything for this household.

69695186_1358241114326180_3828232151971659776_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQnHKwNftTeLrnz_ImClJ_-ERJjLqmV-aBOKsvEnt2Cj-QoTotYD4Ra1_qIGy4an4vVBkw0fNp14tkIzuqyOTALX&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=ef3300326997bdcd59a020f98145cda5&oe=5DF158AE

I'm seriously thinking about giving this household a boot to the homeless section or just deleting them altogether. Before I do, does anyone know if they play a part in anything with this pack other than being spell casters?

Their clothes are weird, and they look like randomly generated townies.
    logion wrote: »
    I started playing The Amicable Acolytes Household (the other premade household) and Tomax dislikes Darrel from the Charm family while he seems to be pretty friendly with Darrels fiancee Emilia...

@logion really? That would be the first time in Sims 4 that the devs add any relationships between households. This makes them more interesting to me.
    Sheepiling wrote: »
    Lemon405 wrote: »
    Also console players can't use the gallery. Easy replacement isn't an option for everyone. :c

As a console player, I’ve become quite adept (not to mention swift) with CAS full edit mode and the nuke button. I’ll spend as long as it takes to obliterate the plum, characterless garbage that gets foisted off on me. 😉

My point is that you shouldn't have to :c

Editing lots should be something someone does for fun, but the version EA gives us shouldn't feel like they NEED to be fixed to enjoy playing in them.

Yes, we shouldn't have to... That's the point. I don't care if lilsimsie wants and ugly house to renovate, i don't like using unofficial stuff, even If its from the gallery. I like playing with EA houses and households and I don't want to feel unmotivated to play with them because their house is broken or they look like rushed townies without character, background, relationships and meaningful personalities. Cool If you like to play with something you created, i just don't like that. You have the option to nuke the town and start from scratch, I don't have the option to have good premade sims and houses to play with. That's why i'm always playing Sims 2/3. Sims 4 hasn't been appeling since they announced it was going to be on an alternate universe.
    @Sheepiling Morgyn looks more like Newt Scamander to me than to Sabrina. His personality, on the other side, is more Sabrina than Newt.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I haven't really looked intently at the household yet. They are just kinda doing their own thing. My legacy founder is the girlfriend of the guy in the other magic household though. He might get a makeover once they get married but I don't feel compelled to alter the other premades...yet.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I look at premade Sims like I look at premade houses or lots - they are fine as something to start from. But if it is someone or somewhere I am going to be spending a fair amount of time (with), then I tinker. I gave Darrell a makeover, tweaked his traits, and adjusted some of his features. The rest I have left alone.

Houses need tuning, intentionally, I honestly believe. Premades are the same way.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    edited September 2019
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Houses need tuning, intentionally, I honestly believe. Premades are the same way.
    I can't wrap my head around EAxis giving us zero effort houses and premades and people going "ah yes it's intentional, it's for our enjoyment".
    No it's really not. I am not enjoying myself at all, the bad houses and unengaging premades actively sap my enjoyment of the pack. We pay for a polished product and we get ... not that.

And I say this as a premade lover. I play all of them and still use most lots from base game and earlier packs.
  • AbraKadabraAbraKadabra Posts: 304 Member
    They're perfect for the breed-out-the-ugly challenge
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    Forgeron wrote: »
    @Sheepiling Morgyn looks more like Newt Scamander to me than to Sabrina. His personality, on the other side, is more Sabrina than Newt.

His outfit + hair is what makes me think of the new Sabrina, there's also the weird sisters' dress in the game too, so I'm just seeing references to that show all around. :D
    happyopi wrote: »
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I can't wrap my head around EAxis giving us zero effort houses and premades and people going "ah yes it's intentional, it's for our enjoyment".
    No it's really not. I am not enjoying myself at all, the bad houses and unengaging premades actively sap my enjoyment of the pack. We pay for a polished product and we get ... not that.

And I say this as a premade lover. I play all of them and still use most lots from base game and earlier packs.

I love using pre-made stuff too. I also don't like replacing houses because of the decoration houses in the background. I like for the the houses and venues a town has to match the background well. And I've been playing with pre-made townies ever since Sims 2, I love them. Realm of Magic was the pack I was anticipating the most, and there was so much potential to add a ton of sims that I would love! Well, not a ton 'cuz it's a game pack and not an expansion, but I loved all the vampire pre-mades AND the poster vampire sims from the trailers too. It should have been so easy for me to just love everyone that came with Realm of Magic! But they seem to just be rushed out with no effort.
    Forgeron wrote: »
    Lemon405 wrote: »
    Also console players can't use the gallery. Easy replacement isn't an option for everyone. :c

As a console player, I’ve become quite adept (not to mention swift) with CAS full edit mode and the nuke button. I’ll spend as long as it takes to obliterate the plum, characterless garbage that gets foisted off on me. 😉

My point is that you shouldn't have to :c

Editing lots should be something someone does for fun, but the version EA gives us shouldn't feel like they NEED to be fixed to enjoy playing in them.

Yes, we shouldn't have to... That's the point. I don't care if lilsimsie wants and ugly house to renovate, i don't like using unofficial stuff, even If its from the gallery. I like playing with EA houses and households and I don't want to feel unmotivated to play with them because their house is broken or they look like rushed townies without character, background, relationships and meaningful personalities. Cool If you like to play with something you created, i just don't like that. You have the option to nuke the town and start from scratch, I don't have the option to have good premade sims and houses to play with. That's why i'm always playing Sims 2/3. Sims 4 hasn't been appeling since they announced it was going to be on an alternate universe.

Lilsimsie does NOT want EA to be making ugly houses for her to renovate. Her fixer upper series is supposed to be her fixing her subscribers' houses, not EA's houses. She does renovate everything in her save file that she ships out, but she doesn't enjoy that Maxis is putting out bad builds. She recently made a whole rant video about that too. This is all EA's fault, not lilsimsie's. :|
  • FrieaFriea Posts: 54 Member
    The only sims that were worth anything really were the ones meant to be sages. The rest of them are underwhelming and just strange... the houses can be lit on fire and claimed for insurance purposes honestly. They all look tragic... Like someone sincerely had 5 minutes to make a house and that is what they come up with.

I generally hate all the houses though so I usually renovate them myself or just place new ones. I cant stand how bland things look when I start a new game. Make new families with their own stories, make new houses, you wont regret it.
    fT4P3EZ.jpg
    ♥ Learn to Love Yourself
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I didn't say "zero effort" - I think they are playable... but that you're meant to want to tweak them. I noticed this with TS3, originally, but it carries over. That said, I interact with premades, rather than play them (unless or until they marry into my household). I don't know what kind of chemistry or interactions the Charms have with each other, and so far Darrell is the only one I've had much to do with. He still has distinctive features, but I cured his chipmunk cheeks, toned his nose a bit, did something about that hair-don't, and changed his outfit:

BFIgb51.png

Their house is a bit weid... like, someone reaching for Victorian, and trying to fit all the Art Nouveau in and just missing the mark in both directions. But I love the little starter cottage. I am tempted not to let my Caster have kids just so I don't outgrow it.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    People wanting to tweak a maxis house will always be able to do that, no matter how hypothetically gorgeous the house. People not interested in b&b and wanting to play in a finished house are forced to live with what they've been given.

Paying a game and being expected to polish the assets is complete madness.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    People wanting to tweak a maxis house will always be able to do that, no matter how hypothetically gorgeous the house. People not interested in b&b and wanting to play in a finished house are forced to live with what they've been given.

I don't believe any Sims games set out to provide beautiful homes from 'The Sims' on. They just provided the basic and one original Maxis person said the the best way to start off is just a toilet, shower and bed. You built up your money faster to add objects, quite a difficult game to play. It's always been a dolls' house for decorators and builders. Gameplayers get to sharpen their skills but those who like to build and decorate get something to work on.

I have to learn the gameplay maybe others could try some decorating?
  • ToyGunGunToyGunGun Posts: 9 New Member
    I like the son, but otherwise it is pretty meh for me as well.
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

I don't believe any Sims games set out to provide beautiful homes from 'The Sims' on. They just provided the basic and one original Maxis person said the the best way to start off is just a toilet, shower and bed. You built up your money faster to add objects, quite a difficult game to play. It's always been a dolls' house for decorators and builders. Gameplayers get to sharpen their skills but those who like to build and decorate get something to work on.

Decorating an empty room is one thing, fixing the awful shells of these builds is another. Not everyone wants to learn architecture just so they can finally enjoy using Magic HQ.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited September 2019

Aw come on, HQ especially isn't just "a sims house". It's a building with a very specific intent provided by Maxis, and it was their job to make it look a lot better than it does - especially on the inside.

And they actually used to do that. Just look at how the houses in GF are built and furnished - they actually look decent, or at the very least give you that "cabin in the woods"-feeling. You can edit them to your taste, sure, but you don't necessarily have to. And it should be the same for HQ. The rest of the lots I don't care about, but that one I do.

Because a) you need a cheat to edit it at all. And b) they said that if you change certain things, the Sages might no longer be confined to their parts of the building, so there is coding tying it together that you as a player cannot see or edit or, in case you do end up breaking it a little, fix. That alone says enough for me. And I say this as someone who really loves the pack.

See, this is how I made HQ look:
    pwRFGwM.png
    mPgf1BQ.png
    RMp99f3.png

It's not the most beautiful thing ever, no, but it's miles better than what we did get. And they could've done this very easily too, especially because not everyone will be in the mood to spend time beautifying their stuff. And quite frankly, with such a huge building, it takes more time than just furnishing a starter home. I don't mind those being ugly or sparse at all. But HQ, yes I do mind.

So no, as much as I adore the pack, I disagree that it's on the player to finish this part of their job for them. They've said in interviews that they don't have to crunch a lot. Well, maybe someone should've made an exception for this ;)

• gothiclandgrabbsgothiclandgrabbs Posts: 94 Member
    their mean to my sim and they are ugly
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member

Decorating an empty room is one thing, fixing the awful shells of these builds is another. Not everyone wants to learn architecture just so they can finally enjoy using Magic HQ.

I always try to keep Will Wrights words in my mind when I start a new game and realise that the houses are basic. I agree, though that the ones in Glimmerbrook aren't my idea of good design. I just move the walls about.

"Wright: Yeah, in some sense. The longer you play the game, the more you come to realize it's not united the way you originally thought. In the initial gameplay, it's about buying stuff.
    You know, I want a better TV. I want a better kitchen. And when I get them, they will make my life better. But as you start playing the game for much longer with that same family, you realize that every object has a built-in failure. It can break, or it can start a flood, or it can catch on fire. So as you start buying more and more of these things and filling your house up, it's like all these potential time bombs. So if you play the game in a very materialistic direction, you start realizing that all these things that you bought are sucking up the time that they were supposed to save you. And as you build a bigger and bigger house, you realize the routing time is becoming a bigger and bigger. So really, the long-term thing that a lot of people are hitting in this is that the materialism is sort of a false promise.....

Wayback machine original.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    :D I think the disgust is the point of the family. I rarely play premades but it'll be a hoot having them in game once I get to play. Vlad is a hunk compared to them. :joy:
    WOW they must be butt ugly
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    edited September 2019
    Gordy wrote: »
    I'll just outright delete them and their ugly house. They're so unpleasant to look at, I don't even want them in the background.

I’m giving them a beautiful makeover!
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    I deleted them
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    They look unique, and I like that, but they don't look like what the main spellcaster family should look like. Vlad looks powerful, rich and influential, besides being ugly.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I really didn't like the feel of them and don't get why they're even there, and they also occupy the largest lot in the world; not anymore they do! I kicked them to the curb, placed a better house on the lot, and am moving my own magical dynasty in.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    They look unique, and I like that, but they don't look like what the main spellcaster family should look like. Vlad looks powerful, rich and influential, besides being ugly.
    The devs were probably going for the Malfoy family from Harry Potter, instead got the Spuckler family from The Simpsons.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top