Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Regular townies turning into spellcasters?

Comments

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Nope started playing 4 last year and didn't hang out with community again till this pack

I will fill you in:

Alien visits
    Fires
    Vampire visits/attacks
    Weather related deaths

I think there’s more but, I get so frustrated when I talk about this stuff I forget. But yes, they give a feature to introduce random happenstance into the game. A vocal minority complains loudly and then quietly in a patch unannounced in the patch notes they drop the occurrences of these features to the point where the barely exist. Features that were in fact advertised elements of the game/pack that people paid money for because they wanted those features. So now the only time something “random” ever happens in your game is if you work very very hard to absolutely force it to happen.

Even some of the original traits you could acquire were changed. They nerfed never weary which was NEVER weary...and made it SORTA never weary where it just slowed how fast your sim got tired.

Remember when that was a big complaint on the forum?

Yes, now that you mention it...and they changed the insane trait to “erratic”. In fact I think that was in the same patch, those were announced, but when they decreased the chances of fires starting and the rest on my list it was done quietly and people just noticed over time that it wasn’t happening hardly at all anymore.

I guess they announced the nerfing of the weather deaths too. To smooth the ruffled feathers of those who spun out about it.

Sad. For us. I recall in my serial townie/premade killer save I had a sim that just wouldn't die. I gated her in a pool for days....weeks. She gasped, cried, glubbed and stayed alive. I put her in a very small room with a fire. She didn't die. I couldn't get rid of her! I've no idea why!

This game just wants happy, happy, sunshiny days. Pfft.

She must be immortal because I just killed a Sim in a pool a week ago once his needs were all in the red.

I don't know what she was. She was an elder that never died. Of drowning, hunger, fire, sleep deprivation, etc. I ended up deleting her from my sim's dungeon and then deleting her from that save.
  • VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    I feel like they should stop with the occults being forced into the shadows and just add an OFF button already like in Sims 3.
    Boom, both sides satisfied
    graventhe wrote: »
    Vampires knocking down on all my played sims doors every day..and sometimes bites my sims in their sleep and the played households never interacted with them in anyway or searched for them on the PC
    Dude, I understand your complaint about wanting to be able to play other ways in other saves cause only playing one way is boring, but that is a ludicrous exaggeration. I had Vampires for awhile and I mean awhile and I only got two attacks, both of which I had to go out of my way to get. Like setting vampire nexus as a lot trait, going to bed early, mastering lore skill, and talking about vampires all the time like some kind of freak. It took (ingame) months to have an attack. The worst thing they do is knock on your door and then leave even though it's unlocked.

No idea where people get these everyday vampire attacks, but you mind sending them to the occult lovers side? We would very much appreciate seeing these features
    EMrBkJP.png
  • robjoneskidrobjoneskid Posts: 90 Member
    I don't know what she was. She was an elder that never died. Of drowning, hunger, fire, sleep deprivation, etc. I ended up deleting her from my sim's dungeon and then deleting her from that save. [/quote]

I can never get npcs to die in my game! They never starve to death or anything!

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited September 2019
    I’m just a little frustrated because I don’t want there to be a Spellcaster in every family. I really want it to be a unique thing or a every now and then generated sim. I will be playing with Spellcaster’s quite a bit and I would like it to be a unique bloodline type thing where they’re hidden and slowly integrate over time.

That is why I am making my own spellcasters before going to the realm, hope that will give me more control over the population. There has to be sims working there and walking around, the the game a pool of sims that you like.

Those who want to be unique can drag the tomes and vendors to their lots. That will give them access to magic without visiting the realm.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    UGH, this is exactly what I was afraid of!! I watched UrbanSims' video yesterday and I wanted to scream when I saw Luna Villareal, Gavin Richards and so many others wandering around the magic realm!! I thought they said that wasn't supposed to happen??

🐸🐸🐸🐸. Guess I'm going mod hunting to stop that from happening.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I was watching the Sims Community YouTube livestream of RoM and it looks like it’s turning normal sims into spellcasters. Anyone have any further information on this? I just don’t want people accidentally ruining their saves tomorrow if it’s actually a bug. Sorry if this has been discussed already!

It happened to English Simmer as well.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I'm thinking of starting up my game before I get it, go into families and delete anyone I don't want to see as a spellcaster from what I have read here. Goodbye to the Landgraabs and the Pancakes and......... :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    This is disappointing. And they wonder why we are always fighting each other. A toggle would work for everyone. And we all know deleting all the Sims from the bin who might have this ability just makes the game generate more. I understand why some people didn't want any vamps in their game and the point was to never study vampirism and that would keep townie vamps at bay but at some point that no longer worked for them and they still saw vamps (and if they failed to not open the door) and here we are again, with townies being able to do this, too. Or if you just want one and enter the portal that opens up the game (from my understanding) to make townies into spellcastors, too. I get both sides of the argument, I really do, and why Maxis why can't you just start adding toggles for townie generation or not...let players have their one vamp or their one spellcastor and turn off townies. I hope they study from TS3 how to do this, one day. ETA: stuff like this is why I didn't buy C&D I didn't want strays, but a toggle could have worked and let me have my one dog or cat.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I'm sure Maxis will fix this with a patch. The question is when. There are other bugs too. The dueling area is glitched. Sims have a hard time getting there. When they do they leave then pop back to it.
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    From what others reported they just appear there and do the motions but don’t ACTUALLY take on occult status.

I’m just imagining that they are other mages practicing disguise spells #shrug

I wonder if just making a batch of spellcaster sims to plop in world will let the game draw from them instead if you want to avoid it?
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I don't know why they dont just have new Spellcaster sims randomized instead of turning regular townies into them. I hope they dont turn my vampires into spellcasters.
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    From what others reported they just appear there and do the motions but don’t ACTUALLY take on occult status.

I’m just imagining that they are other mages practicing disguise spells #shrug

I wonder if just making a batch of spellcaster sims to plop in world will let the game draw from them instead if you want to avoid it?

So quoting myself because in another thread this is shown to be not true.

As excited as I am for this pack, whooo boy 😬 not excited about having to constantly remove spellcaster status on sims I don’t want to have it. And I don’t want to favorite the entire neighborhood either.
  • miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    Question: (I'm not super knowledgeable on how the townie system works in TS4) If I went through and marked any sim I don't want in the Magic Realm as played (for example, I'd have no problem if the Goth family was walking around but no thank you Nancy Landgraab, you can't be here) will they be safe from showing up there? If the game generates new, probably ugly, townies to hang out in the realm that's fine with me. I can fix them.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    If it's true that your favorited Sims and those they interact with are not going to be targeted as spellcasters to fill whatever quota the game requires, then it would follow that saves with a lot of households and a lot of relationships would be more insulated from having familiar sims become spellcasters without the player's control. As someone pointed out above, if you start a new save then you (or your sim) won't have those relationships in place. This happened with Get Famous as well; I started a new save with a test sim to try out the features and Marcus Flex and Eliza Pancakes were assigned as bouncers. (I actually found it hilarious but there's no denying it was a bit out of place). In one of my larger, established saves where I have a ton of played sims and they've interacted all over the place, I never see a townie get assigned randomly (or at least I've never noticed it) but then the game DOES generate a random to fill the role.
  • miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    If it's true that your favorited Sims and those they interact with are not going to be targeted as spellcasters to fill whatever quota the game requires, then it would follow that saves with a lot of households and a lot of relationships would be more insulated from having familiar sims become spellcasters without the player's control. As someone pointed out above, if you start a new save then you (or your sim) won't have those relationships in place. This happened with Get Famous as well; I started a new save with a test sim to try out the features and Marcus Flex and Eliza Pancakes were assigned as bouncers. (I actually found it hilarious but there's no denying it was a bit out of place). In one of my larger, established saves where I have a ton of played sims and they've interacted all over the place, I never see a townie get assigned randomly (or at least I've never noticed it) but then the game DOES generate a random to fill the role.

I've always thought that "favorite" sims were only to prevent their households from being culled, but I'm not sure. Maybe I'll try starting with a Simsie Save instead since that is technically an established save with lots of families and relationships. I really don't mind if Marcus Flex or Eliza Pancakes are hanging out in the Magic Realm as if its a fresh new save, my brand new sim has no idea who they are. Who's to say they aren't secretly spellcasters? I'm mostly concerned with maintaining the "look" - meaning I would like the townies in the realm to look like they belong there.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    @fullspiral People are... Odd and want the pack for build mode content and whine about fantasy plaguing them when they bought a fantasy dlc

Some simmers: "I better not see one occult sim doing any occult things in this occult pack I bought!"

Me: ?????????????????

I see it as ordering a hamburger rare and getting upset that's its pink inside.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    @fullspiral People are... Odd and want the pack for build mode content and whine about fantasy plaguing them when they bought a fantasy dlc

Some simmers: "I better not see one occult sim doing any occult things in this occult pack I bought!"

Me: ?????????????????

I see it as ordering a hamburger rare and getting upset that's its pink inside.

...Or ordering a burger just to eat the bun and getting upset that it's flavored with meat.
    #Team Occult
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I noticed Darlene Darling (or whatever her name is) from San Myshuno in the new world flying a mop.
  • JurnéEndsJurnéEnds Posts: 59 Member
    Its interesting when I read complaints regarding a pack having too much of the thing it’s advertised to have. Logically it doesn’t make sense although I sorta understand. I think because I play the sims more to build and prefer fantasy elements, I don’t really notice the random townies. I mean there are some like Belle Goth who you can’t help but to know but mostly, I wouldn’t know if one stayed in Glimmerbrook or Sulani. I like when sims are random and surprises pop up in my game -it’s that quirkiness that makes sims so special imo. I haven’t had a chance to play the game since rl doesn’t allow it but I’m looking forward to random townies to zap with magic (...it’s a pity I can’t rip out hearts and make the evil queen Regina 😂)
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited September 2019
    I haven't got the pack yet, but from what I understand, the townies only appear to do magic in the magic realm; and secondly, townies/npcs your sims have a relationship will not become spellcasters.

I can see they made it this way because it would be odd to go to the magic realm and have nobody else there doing magic - it would be a ghost town, not a spellcaster town. So instead of generating new sims for this, and increasing the population (which apparently can be an issue after a long time), they pull from the pool of "unplayed/uninteracted with" existing sims.

This makes sense, except most people have a preset story/idea in their mind about the premades, so having Bob Pancakes or Nancy Landgraab become a sorcerer seems off. (Not to me personally, but it sounds like this is the main issue to other people?).

One possible way around it might be to simply "favorite" all of the premades you want exempt from spellcaster status. Again, I don't have the pack yet, but maybe this would work?
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I was not expecting for pre-made Sims to suddenly become spellcasters. That certainly is disappointing.

The game already cheats up skills of the premades it uses to stalk your Sims from lot to lot - like Singing, Programming, and Painting. So now it's making them Spell Casters too. I guess the game is making them Super Sims.
  • Dglbr1969Dglbr1969 Posts: 854 Member
    I am currently play a new save and so far there are a lot of townies that are in the Magic Realm spellcasters, but will they be spellcasters when I return home? This is confusing. It doesn't matter, as I plan to save him in CAS and put him into another game of mine, but if we do have to add our own, so the game doesn't take the townies, about how many do we have to add? and do we make them currently "Not in World" ? Just so I don't wreck my other saves.
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1