❄️ The official gameplay trailer for Snowy Escape just dropped! ❄️ You can watch it here.
October 23 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here.

Unpopular Opinions (The Sims 3)

Comments

  • DeafSimmerDeafSimmer Posts: 2,795 Member
    I don't use tons of CC, except for a custom skin for my Sims.
    Just so you know, my story blog is on hiatus. It might be permanent. Only time will tell. At the moment, I'll be playing Sims 3.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,111 Member
    Is it unpopular to like square houses? I do. I like just the basic square house. I don't build them because it seems it's called boring but to me - give me an easy to play square box house and I like it. But... there's always a but, I don't like huge nor over stuffed rooms. Weird? Noo. :lol:
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,027 Member
    I like simple squared houses as well. I do build them or I renovate the ones which come with the game to a more interesting interior layout. I don't care too much for houses with 2,3, or 4 levels to them (unless an apartment building). Nor do I like large lots (30x30 is big enough for me).

    I take a lot of screenshots, so I do love rooms with filler clutter added as accents. Dish soap & sponge on the kitchen sink. Files and letters on the office desk. However, I'd rather my Sims environment be filled with items they can interact with beyond 'view'.
    In times of Darkness, Turn on you Light of Love and Let it Shine!
  • SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 524 Member
    I don't like houses that very decorated, as in lots of clutter. I prefer the tastefully but sparsely decorated ones so my sims can move around easily.
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • ingridmfingridmf Posts: 65 Member
    Unpopular opinion : I never really understood the appeal of Legacy-type gameplay. I usually play 2 generations max, mostly because I use a long lifespan, and sometimes even turn aging off to max everything with my sim.
    But as soon as I re-install TS3, I'm giving it a chance and starting my first Legacy :D
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 6,694 Member
    I don't like houses that very decorated, as in lots of clutter. I prefer the tastefully but sparsely decorated ones so my sims can move around easily.
    ingridmf wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion : I never really understood the appeal of Legacy-type gameplay. I usually play 2 generations max, mostly because I use a long lifespan, and sometimes even turn aging off to max everything with my sim.
    But as soon as I re-install TS3, I'm giving it a chance and starting my first Legacy :D

    ^I feel the same to both. :)

    And lol @ingridmf :lol:
    49824480951_0fc6391d25.jpg
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,027 Member
    I can see the appeal in doing a legacy challenge. Starting with a single Sim and watching as the family tree grows and branches out. Knowing the history behind every limb of that tree. Personally, I lack the discipline to do one myself and @ingridmf I wish you success with yours.

    In the same vein, I don't understand what is actually accomplished by having 100 babies, fouls, cats, dogs whatever. Nor, the 'Breed out the Ugly' challenges. But those seem to be highly popular.
    In times of Darkness, Turn on you Light of Love and Let it Shine!
  • SimsxZelda_fanSimsxZelda_fan Posts: 170 Member
    Call me old fashioned, but I think there is too much skimpy/revealing womens' clothes and not enough tame/modest clothing for females. I mean, I get that partying and woohooing in sims is fun, and I do like to partake from time to time, but I'm boring and like to do family oriented playthroughs. Lol

    I also never saw the appeal in the mods that allow one to dress their children like adults, especially the girls. Kids are meant to be kids, and that's how I like my sims. I don't really have that many mods. Only ones I can remember downloading are one for the ability to build simbots in Bridgeport and one for a hijab for women lol
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,398 Member
    @SimsxZelda_fan I said something similiar about clothes on page 2 of this thread.
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    I know I am oldish so my opinion on the lack of "respectable clothing" might not be popular ;) I see my female sims age up in short shorts or mini skirts/dresses and I cringe :confounded: and my first thought is "trash" (apologies to anyone who reads this and dresses this way) :p It's all well and good when they are teens or YA but I know I would have been appalled if my mother had dressed like that and I certainly wouldn't embarrass my son by doing it either. Sure, there are some outfits of a decent length but mostly in themed sets from a different era.

    I can't say I have ever seen kids dressed as adults so the simmers I know mustn't be into that ;)
  • SimsxZelda_fanSimsxZelda_fan Posts: 170 Member
    @Mikezumi Well, it isn't just clothes, its like hair and those weird face mods. Maybe it's just the mod itself but to me it makes it look like one of those poor kids irl that's made to dress like a supermodel at age 7. I've even seen makeup and perm hair on toddler sims. Idk ig I'm just not with the times but I just don't see the appeal in it lol
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,398 Member
    @SimsxZelda_fan I haven't seen those weird face mods but I know what you mean about hair! I am very picky about the adult hairs converted for toddler and child use in my game so they still look like kids.
  • SimsxZelda_fanSimsxZelda_fan Posts: 170 Member
    @Mikezumi Well, ik for adults there's face mods to make faces look more "realistic", a lot of them look like real life super models. But I'm sure I've seen the same kinda mod for kids (unless the mod does it to all faces or something) and toddlers too.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,398 Member
    edited October 2019
    @SimsxZelda_fan I will definitely keep away from mods like that! :D
    Here's a recent toddler of mine and she is wearing an adult hair converted to toddler. I tend to go for the short, simple bobs for my sim kids.
    48549832027_3f3dca20de_o.jpg
  • Choco446Choco446 Posts: 25 Member
    Don't know if this unpopular or not but...

    I hate making sims in this game! I have one decent looking sim I made and just use them every single time with different traits, aspirations, and slightly different looks (hair, clothes, eye color, etc). I just find it really annoying and quite difficult to make a sim that doesn't look like a deformed potato.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,699 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @SimsxZelda_fan I said something similiar about clothes on page 2 of this thread.
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    I know I am oldish so my opinion on the lack of "respectable clothing" might not be popular ;) I see my female sims age up in short shorts or mini skirts/dresses and I cringe :confounded: and my first thought is "trash" (apologies to anyone who reads this and dresses this way) :p It's all well and good when they are teens or YA but I know I would have been appalled if my mother had dressed like that and I certainly wouldn't embarrass my son by doing it either. Sure, there are some outfits of a decent length but mostly in themed sets from a different era.

    I can't say I have ever seen kids dressed as adults so the simmers I know mustn't be into that ;)

    I agree about the too short clothing.
    I dress my sims according to their personalities, so I DO have a couple of sims that wear mini skirts with their huge stompy boots, because that's their style, and I'm absolutely okay with skimpy, low cut clothing being in the game, as long as there is an equal range of elegant clothing alongside it, but there really isn't.

    The skimpy clothing really outweighs anything more modest by a great deal, which I find rather annoying. Not all my sims want to dress like ladies of the evening.
    Oh and the SCARVES. OMG why EA have stuck scarves around many a neck of nice male shirts, I will never know. Males don't get enough clothing as it is, but to ruin a lot of what they do have with stupid scarves or other neck pieces infuriates me.

    :rage:
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,398 Member
    @Pary Like you, I don't mind that the short stuff is there, I just wish there were more elegant clothing.
    So true! Those scarves and other built-in accessories on male (and female) clothing drive me insane!
  • ingridmfingridmf Posts: 65 Member
    @mw1525 Thanks, I feel like a lack of discipline on my part might be part of the reason why as well lol I'll try and see how it goes :D
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,338 Member
    I like the shorts and minidresses specifically to fill the void of not having an immodest femme wife. But the scarves everywhere for men (as well as bracelets and wrist-pieces on some tops too) and the necklaces everywhere for women! I may never know peace.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 6,694 Member
    Pary wrote: »

    I agree about the too short clothing.
    I dress my sims according to their personalities, so I DO have a couple of sims that wear mini skirts with their huge stompy boots, because that's their style, and I'm absolutely okay with skimpy, low cut clothing being in the game, as long as there is an equal range of elegant clothing alongside it, but there really isn't.

    The skimpy clothing really outweighs anything more modest by a great deal, which I find rather annoying. Not all my sims want to dress like ladies of the evening.
    Oh and the SCARVES. OMG why EA have stuck scarves around many a neck of nice male shirts, I will never know. Males don't get enough clothing as it is, but to ruin a lot of what they do have with stupid scarves or other neck pieces infuriates me.

    :rage:

    ^Word! 🙌
    49824480951_0fc6391d25.jpg
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 2,694 Member
    Unpopular opinion: Building houses, to me, is very boring. I actually don't like to build, even though I do try.
    Origin ID
    Hillybeth29
    Sims 3 Username
    Morganvil225
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • ilikethesims30ilikethesims30 Posts: 513 Member
    Unpopular activity: I hate when Sims raise their skills. It happens too fast. My Sims gain skills I don't want them to, like writing and music and more. SO I deliberately lower their skills, just to make it more real.

    Same with the Careers. They move way too quickly. I lower the ranking on purpose. Is there a mod to slow that down?

    I rarely use violence in my games. My Sims are like family to me, and I don't want to hurt any of them. Except maybe the evil ones once in a while. That's why the Disasters and Embarrassment type mods exist right?

    I like having peaceful relationships in games. I guess it's because that's the kind of relationship I want--you're best friends in love who rarely fight and always solve their problems as they come. But you need some drama, and cheating and dying are just too easy.

    I'm not even bothered by the faulty attraction system anymore. It's fine. It happens every time a group of Sims are in the same room together. Look but don't touch. And I make sure they don't touch. No cheating allowed.
  • ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,199 Member
    emorrill wrote: »


    I'll start: Sunset Valley is not the best town to play in. :p

    :mrgreen:

    I agree.
    Up until a couple of years ago I had barely set foot in Sunset Valley. Everyone knows it like the back of their hand, I don´t.

    - Toddlers annoy the c*ap out of me. Once I have toddlers in a household, I´ll go play another household for a while, probably why my legacies never seem to get anywhere. Aside for my Raggington legacy. I got to gen 6. I don´t know how.
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 747 Member
    Sure, why not.

    Mine: It's way too easy to make money. The only way to be poor is to have no job and pursue no skills, pretty much forever. There's no way at all to be middle-class unless you manufacture one with cheats and/or artificially calibrated mod settings. It's pretty annoying, to be honest.

    Playing the Pinstar 10 gen legacy, I was able to start out with barely 1000SS to first Sim's name. When the family started getting super rich, I used 3/4 of their SS to rebuild their house. Then when they started getting super rich again, I bought expensive cars, started purchasing all the property in the city and yet after 5 generations, they are still pretty rich.

    BUT, I don't consider that a problem. I don't care that they are super rich. It's nice to worry about other things instead of money. So I agree with you it's easy to make money but I disagree that it's annoying. :D
    My unpopular opinion: I find sims being with just one other sim in their lifetime boring. My Sims almost never marry their first boyfriend or girlfriend. They usually get married two or three times, too.

    My play style is exactly the opposite. I hate it when I've paired up my Sims and for whatever reason, it doesn't work out and I have to choose another one for them. Once in TS2, I was TRYING to let my Sims be who they wanted to be. My super jock kissed another woman in the front yard of his house while his wife was standing there. She was furious. I let my Sims divorce (first time I have EVER done that before or since). He lived alone for a long time and eventually, many years later, the wife stopped by. I let them interact and she ended up moving back in with him and they live happily ever after until their deaths.
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion: Whenever my female sims have a baby and are raising their toddlers, I usually have them stay home while their spouses go to work.

    Truthfully, I'm the same way. I'm older and when I was a small kid, that's usually the way it was. It had just started changing a bit as I was growing up and my mom did work from the time I was around 3. In TS (all of them) I lean towards having the mom stay home and have a career doing something at home to make money and send dad off to work. But I try to play against that sometimes, especially playing legacy where I have a houseful of people who can care for the kids. I once had a mom be a private detective which was interesting, and the grandparents basically raised the kids.
    mw1525 wrote: »
    I don't dislike the paparazzi either. I have my celebrity Sims talk with them (after all, they're just doing their job). I do absolutely hate the part of the celebrity system which creates slanderous rumors. The friendship loss penalty is too high for the event no matter what was said.

    I agree with this. In fact, one of my current Sims is TRYING to be a celebrity. But her husband was rumored to have been cheating, which totally wasn't true. I didn't think that was fair due to relationship hits.
    ItsJanier wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion #3
    I love those so called "bad traits" (grumpy, evil, hates outdoor, loser, clumsy, absent-minded, coward, hot-headed etc). I think those add extra challenge and character to the Sims. Most of my Sims have at least one "bad trait" so they don't seem too perfect. I mean even Bree Van De Kamp has her flaws.

    I tend to agree with this mainly because when I played TS2 and create each and every Sim in my custom city, my Sims all ended up being exactly the same. I would choose traits that I liked. Pinstars 10 gen challenge has forced me to let go of that and randomize the traits. The result is hilarious things I would have never seen before. I'm not a fan of a grandmother stealing the baby's candy but the first time it happened I was like "grandma! What the heck are you doing?!". I do have to keep an eye on my romantic Sims because they tend to flirt with the help and I just won't have that. It's amusing that they try.
    Unpopular Opinion #1
    I hardly ever have a maid service. That does not mean that I always have my sims clean up after themselves, especially food, either. Most of the time I just drag and drop those items for them, be it back into the fridge for leftovers or into the garbage. All plumbing is upgraded to self cleaning rather than unbreakable (I usually buy the unbreakable ones anyway and if not any plumbing that is repaired by a sim that's repaired 10 or more plumbing objects that thing will never break again anyway.)

    It's one of the very first things I do (same with TS2). And as soon as the family can afford it, I get them a live-in butler. I hate cleaning in RL so maybe that has something to do with it.
    thebriamon wrote: »
    1. I hate building. I hate it. Sometimes I download lots for my sims, but when pressed to actually make something, my houses are the most boring, square little things. I decided to just go with this recently when populating a custom world that needed more low end housing, and just made a very boring home, and set up a whole street of them and decided I'd call it government housing. Boom! now I have 16 more cheap 10 x 15 lots for my sims to live in.

    2. It actually seems to me that most of the people I talk to like to have epic age spans on no aging at all, and I'm so bored by that. Even when I make my own simself and my husband, we are on a normal lifespan. I play rotationally, thanks to NRAAS mods, and so I feel like I get pleeeeenty of time with each sim. Part of the fun for me is watching my whole neighborhood grow and age. I usually populate with my own sims and I like to see who marries whom and whatnot.

    I totally agree on building. I totally suck at it SO bad. My houses from the beginning of the series was always square boxes. Then I asked for help here as I needed a proper huge house for my generation family that was at 5 gens. Someone sent me a link to a page that has incredible houses with pictures taken looking down at the actual floor plan. It took me literally RL months to do it but I built an incredible house for my family. It's always an on-going process - last time I played they finally got a pool - but It's a house I will likely keep for the duration that I play this challenge.

    I'm not a fan at all of epic life spans. I like regular similar to RL life spans. I keep track of their age at death and even engrave it on their tombstone.
    ingridmf wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion : I never really understood the appeal of Legacy-type gameplay. I usually play 2 generations max, mostly because I use a long lifespan, and sometimes even turn aging off to max everything with my sim.
    But as soon as I re-install TS3, I'm giving it a chance and starting my first Legacy :D

    The legacy challenge is what got me playing TS3. It has added so much variety to my game and given me something to achieve. I use a spreadsheet I found to keep track of everyone and "the points". Because I am forced to randomize my Sims' traits, it's shown me things I would never have seen. I encourage you to give it a try. And definitely use normal aging so you aren't overloaded with Sims quickly. Plus the mourning is part of it. I created a graveyard for all my legacy Sims to eventually end up in.

    Unpopular opinion about TS3: I really don't like that I can't control the other families in the neighborhood. I mean I LIKE the "open world" concept and it's fun to be able to follow my Sims around when they do their thing. But I'm a HUGE fan of TS2 and when I first got TS3 and found out I had no control, I quit playing it almost immediately. I really didn't pick it up again until a couple of years ago. The legacy challenge helped me find a reason to play.

    Unpopular opinion about TS3 #2: I think the vanilla game is just fine without mods. In fact, I'm an anti-modder for many reasons but respect that others won't play UNLESS they mod the game. I have exactly one mod on my TS2 game: I fixed it so friends aren't required to progress in a career. But I am considering looking into the mod to be able to play rotationally. Feeling nervous about the complexity but eager to enjoy TS3 for the same reason I love TS2.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,188 Member
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion about TS3: I really don't like that I can't control the other families in the neighborhood. I mean I LIKE the "open world" concept and it's fun to be able to follow my Sims around when they do their thing...

    Unpopular opinion about TS3 #2: I think the vanilla game is just fine without mods. In fact, I'm an anti-modder for many reasons...
    Getting over #2 would easily solve #1. Just saying.
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 747 Member
    I know @Turjan. In fact, I have created another post on that for just that reason. I'm trying. I'm really trying!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top