November 12 - Everyone ready for November Maxis Monthly? Details here
November 8 - Click here for this week's Friday Highlight!

What's the problem with Island counters and kitchens in general EA?

«1
This video explains it all.

That's a really poor job EA/Maxis, why? Why adding the island counters when they don't even match, it's mainly obvious when you use the black one. Just fix it and please stop putting trash in the game without even testing it! I'm so sick of it.
Lu4ERme.gif

Comments

  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,024 Member
    I would like to ask him where has he been? There are dozens and dozens of things wrong like the things he pointed out since day one. But by the fifth year I guess more people start to notice and stop gushing, eventually. Those of us who have eyes for details have often been called haters because we just couldn't live with stuff of low quality or missed glitches and or bugs but I guess it's good he finally is starting to see what some of us have been harping about for five years.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,413 Member
    edited September 9
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I would like to ask him where has he been? There are dozens and dozens of things wrong like the things he pointed out since day one. But by the fifth year I guess more people start to notice and stop gushing, eventually. Those of us who have eyes for details have often been called haters because we just couldn't live with stuff of low quality or missed glitches and or bugs but I guess it's good he finally is starting to see what some of us have been harping about for five years.

    Exactly, plus it's ''him'' so more people are gonna be aware, usually it's only the little ones who complain. We are called haters cause we are true, and when we notice a problem we point it, not only for TS, and that's great that there's still people with a capacity of criticize in a biased world where we live. If a go to the restaurant I want my dish to be great looking and tasty, otherwise I cook myself, it's the same for this game. However I noticed objects and gameplay are becoming less and less good the more we advance through its life.
    Post edited by Jordan061102 on
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • reiureyareiureya Posts: 68 Member
    I just use what makes the most sense to me, when I'm building. There are a lot of objects I avoid like they are plagued. Mostly because of the green phase the developers went through >.> No I'm not a huge fan of green because neon green shades don't look green to me they look like vomit. -Is a little colorblind- That's just me though. Otherwise, I think what the developers have made is beautiful. It's really just a matter of personal taste.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,413 Member
    reiureya wrote: »
    I just use what makes the most sense to me, when I'm building. There are a lot of objects I avoid like they are plagued. Mostly because of the green phase the developers went through >.> No I'm not a huge fan of green because neon green shades don't look green to me they look like vomit. -Is a little colorblind- That's just me though. Otherwise, I think what the developers have made is beautiful. It's really just a matter of personal taste.

    It's the reason why some people never evolve. They keep making the same mistakes, and people keep praising them.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,695 Member
    @Cinebar
    Actually James has made similar videos in the past and he often points out things that don't work or he doesn't like in his videos. I'm not surprised to see this from him. I'm glad he made this video as well because he has an impact on the community and rapport with the team.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 4,179 Member
    I'm not usually one to criticize this game, but after watching that I'm mad. I haven't used the Island Counters yet, and as soon as I noticed they didn't match my OCD brain blew up into a bajillion pieces :angry:
    Like supernatural stories? Like drama? Like SimLits? Check out my blog here!
  • Meegie1977Meegie1977 Posts: 222 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I would like to ask him where has he been? There are dozens and dozens of things wrong like the things he pointed out since day one. But by the fifth year I guess more people start to notice and stop gushing, eventually. Those of us who have eyes for details have often been called haters because we just couldn't live with stuff of low quality or missed glitches and or bugs but I guess it's good he finally is starting to see what some of us have been harping about for five years.

    James has made many similar videos criticising the Sims 4 in the past, and he will mention issues as they happen in his gameplay videos so this is not new or unusual for him. If he was whinging every week then that would be pretty boring and tedious too and I know I'd stop watching.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 18,197 Member
    edited September 8
    How did they even mess up the colors? Didn't they have the color codes written down in the object's concept art?

    From my understanding, Maxis outsources all or most of their objects.... Their art team does the concepts and someone else does the 3D objects, clothes and hair, so this might not directly be their fault but it's still pretty bad, and Maxis needs to fix this.
    vvT0gUf.jpg?1
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,413 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    How did they even mess up the colors? Didn't they have the color codes written down in the object's concept art?

    From my understanding, Maxis outsources all or most of their objects.... Their art team does the concepts and someone else does the 3D objects, clothes and hair, so this might not directly be their fault but it's still pretty bad, and Maxis needs to fix this.

    Sure they need to fix it but they won't as always, they count on modders to do it!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 4,459 Member
    Makes an ambiguous baiting title to vent just about counters and briefly over column glitch.

    Yes, significant minor pet peeve worth addressing, that it alone leaves u to think "wuts wreng wit Ts4). I disdain those youtubers. Please use specific titles next time in a video other than akin to "TS4 DYING???! Not Clickbait" that covers up ONLY low-polygon squirls and ugh TS4 werst evah. I'm tempted to leave a dislike vote on it for that reason.

    Based strictly on the title, I was like whoa, there’s something “wrong” with the game? Hmm...

    I play the video and he’s in a very ominous looking room, all black background. Hmm...

    A few minutes later he starts talking about the color of countertops and the fake drawers in the island. Seriously?
    Origin & Gallery : ChazzzyGOAT | Simblr : ChazzzyGOAT
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 169 Member
    Well, I saw the video more as a "this has been a compounding issue since the release of sims 4, five years ago, and many of these issues, and cutting corners, and lazy edits/additions, and incomplete sets for build/buy are showing an obvious trend in the game being rushed and not enough care taken with each update/game pack/expansion/etc."

    There are so many things missing or just wrong. It took how many years to get plain white doors? Why are we missing 1 or 2 tile versions of matching arch ways? Why are some windows set as 2 tile when there's no 1 tile version?

    Why are we missing matching swatches on the generic wood items? Why have half the new bathrooms been missing a toilet, or a tub?

    Why are things being released as very broken, and in many cases, game breaking? Where's the QA?

    Who is approving these items? Why weren't they noticed, and if they were noticed, why wasn't something done about it?

    Why has every update been half-done? When they released gender settings, none of the clothing really worked on opposite body frames - there's been and still continues to be, major clipping and shading issues. Why are toddlers so broken?. Why do I put a toddler in a high chair, get them food, then have the parent remove them from the chair while the toddler is hungry on the floor?

    Why were the stairs released with so many many bugs and things that, with a little testing, would not have been missed?

    Everything feels half-baked and lazy. And it feels like this since the team knows modders will step up and do their work for them, for free. And that's just not right. I'm not paying the modders for these game packs (though I do often leave tips for their work if I can), so why are the modders having to pick up the slack?
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 3,239 Member
    I'm glad James calls them out on poor quality objects other game changers will praise any and everything in a baby voice. If only he would call them out on even more important issues like useless traits and minimal animations that are always reused over and over.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 333 Member
    edited September 8
    Obviously, I never expect anything mind boggling, I always know there's gonna be mistakes made and corners cut. On the other hand though, things like the freelance photography career mail thingy not working properly (literally a key feature in the career, preventing you from advancing in said career) is crazy to me because if they had tested the game properly, they definitely should've noticed the bug. I get that they have a deadline and they have to get the pack done on set date but we shouldn't have to wait this long to get a fix for something that is essential to the pack.

    Kitchens in the Sims 4 have been a problem of mine since the beginning. I always go for the same things because there's not enough things I can match with the other stuff or there's not matching cabinets so I have to re-think the whole kitchen. I literally complained to my friend some time ago how much it annoys me that some of the counter cabinets are on the side where the sim sits. I know it's a little thing but still...

    One thing that has also bothered me is the bars. I never use bars because there's either no matching bar or the matching bar is gigantic and I can't fit it into my sims' house because I don't like having my sims live in gigantic mansions and usually opt for medium-sized suburban houses where a gigantic bar doesn't really fit unless you start building the kitchen around the bar. For example, if I wanna use the brown wooden counters (the cheaper ones) from base game, the matching bar is 4 squares long... Ugh... This definitely is just a personal problem of mine and not a priority by any means.

    The thing that bugs me though, is the lack of matching wall cabinets. Is it so hard to make a matching cabinets to the counters... At least matching swatches would be nice so I could somehow try to go around the fact that we don't have cabinets for said counters.

    I clearly needed to vent... Oof... :''D

    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    If only he would call them out on even more important issues like useless traits...

    The trait thing is annoying. I don't need a trait for my sim to call some island spirits to party at my house. I want traits that actually make it feel like my sims have a personality. In Sims 3, I liked that sims with conflicting traits didn't get along as easily. In Sims 4 no-one has a personality, everyone is literally the same and it's boring.
    rnDo5Pk.jpg
    Origin ID: Lottamelinaa
    WoL Family Tree

  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,327 Member
    edited September 9
    It looked the same as the other island counter in game to me?

    Also I disagree again with the no personality thing as they have more than in sims 3.

    Bugs happen, they get reported and they try to fix them when they can. Not really worth a video as it isn't anything new. As I said before. If you really want to make changes, actually report it to EA.
    Post edited by XxAirixX on
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 53 Member
    edited September 9
    Here's my take on it, and I follow James on twitter where he spoke on it a tiny bit more: Normally, I don't think he hesitates to call them out, but he does it in a joking or lighthearted way. I've heard him voice annoyances about the game before.

    However, James is a builder and I think these counters were a breaking point for him. He wasn't saying the game is just now terrible because of the counters and columns or anything like that, he said he's just trying to open up discussion about things that aren't at the quality they should be. He even asked for other examples on twitter and people have been bringing up some very good ones.

    It's like, we finally get this or that and in the end, it's kinda disappointing. That's why I'm not hyped or excited about anything else. Everyone wanting farms and university should have very tempered expectations. (Although, it seems like the team can do game packs very well...)
  • ThenyoukissmeThenyoukissme Posts: 269 Member
    thecatsred wrote: »
    Well, I saw the video more as a "this has been a compounding issue since the release of sims 4, five years ago, and many of these issues, and cutting corners, and lazy edits/additions, and incomplete sets for build/buy are showing an obvious trend in the game being rushed and not enough care taken with each update/game pack/expansion/etc."

    There are so many things missing or just wrong. It took how many years to get plain white doors? Why are we missing 1 or 2 tile versions of matching arch ways? Why are some windows set as 2 tile when there's no 1 tile version?

    Why are we missing matching swatches on the generic wood items? Why have half the new bathrooms been missing a toilet, or a tub?

    Why are things being released as very broken, and in many cases, game breaking? Where's the QA?

    Who is approving these items? Why weren't they noticed, and if they were noticed, why wasn't something done about it?

    Why has every update been half-done? When they released gender settings, none of the clothing really worked on opposite body frames - there's been and still continues to be, major clipping and shading issues. Why are toddlers so broken?. Why do I put a toddler in a high chair, get them food, then have the parent remove them from the chair while the toddler is hungry on the floor?

    Why were the stairs released with so many many bugs and things that, with a little testing, would not have been missed?

    Everything feels half-baked and lazy. And it feels like this since the team knows modders will step up and do their work for them, for free. And that's just not right. I'm not paying the modders for these game packs (though I do often leave tips for their work if I can), so why are the modders having to pick up the slack?



    Yesss. Whenever new content is coming I always feel really nervous because I know its going to introduce new bugs that just may never be addressed. The butler has been broken and unplayable since day 1. The off the grid feature I feel is something everyone can agree was extremely disappointing and lacklustre, even the patch that was supposed to fix it really didnt fix it at all. Toddlers havent been able to finish a full meal for months and it hasnt been addressed the last 2 patches. I dont want new content when I still have game breaking bugs. Im glad James spoke up because I agree, as someone that actively has to save for every pack it’s really disappointing and frustrating when you are always trying not to get your hopes up and are still let down at not only all the game breaking issues, but the lack of expected quality in gameplay/objects
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,024 Member
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    It looked the same as the other island counter in game to me?

    Also I disagree again with the no personality thing as they have more than in sims 3.

    Bugs happen, they get reported and they try to fix them when they can. Not really worth a video as it isn't anything new. As I said before. If you really want to make changes, actually report it to EA.

    You must have missed the problem with the island counter. Island counters are their own mesh. Not a clone of the cabinet with just an extended ledge. And island counters don't come with drawers in them (exactly like the cabinet/counter) when you are going to place a stool or counter in front of it. Island counters (many types) are used to sit and eat, unless they come with those vegetable sinks in them.

    The problem he pointed out was they didn't create a different mesh to accomodate a stool or chair but just extended a ledge and when trying to place those on the ends of the counters they don't fit together nor make sense like some of the basegame counters in all the games. It's just sad really some don't see it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,413 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    It looked the same as the other island counter in game to me?

    Also I disagree again with the no personality thing as they have more than in sims 3.

    Bugs happen, they get reported and they try to fix them when they can. Not really worth a video as it isn't anything new. As I said before. If you really want to make changes, actually report it to EA.

    You must have missed the problem with the island counter. Island counters are their own mesh. Not a clone of the cabinet with just an extended ledge. And island counters don't come with drawers in them (exactly like the cabinet/counter) when you are going to place a stool or counter in front of it. Island counters (many types) are used to sit and eat, unless they come with those vegetable sinks in them.

    The problem he pointed out was they didn't create a different mesh to accomodate a stool or chair but just extended a ledge and when trying to place those on the ends of the counters they don't fit together nor make sense like some of the basegame counters in all the games. It's just sad really some don't see it.

    Exactly, just a poor work. But at the end EA is not that weird. They built a trash game, people bought it. The recipe seems to work so why improving when you can do poor job and people are buying plus praising you for the 💩?
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,413 Member
    They are really smart, they distract us with stairs and they found a way to slide some messy island counters without anyone to complain cause there's stairs.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 1,197 Member
    To top it all, the counters In ROM don’t have matching cabinets. Why ? They could have made beautiful cabinets with stained glass.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,243 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I would like to ask him where has he been? There are dozens and dozens of things wrong like the things he pointed out since day one. But by the fifth year I guess more people start to notice and stop gushing, eventually. Those of us who have eyes for details have often been called haters because we just couldn't live with stuff of low quality or missed glitches and or bugs but I guess it's good he finally is starting to see what some of us have been harping about for five years.

    Lol... I’m so glad you said this, I thought the exact same.

    —T
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,358 Member
    Huh, he just released his Island Living impression video. Which was not flattering. He sat on it for a few months wondering if his first impression wasn't fair. Now that he's played it, he released it, and his first impressions were, if anything, generous.

    I don't know. I think the game changers have a fine line. If they're all positive they risk people saying they're biased and watching someone else who seems less biased. If they're too negative, they risk losing the fans of the game who just want to see what's coming in the next pack. So when a game changer releases two fairly negative (though he's an upbeat person) reviews in a row, I'm thinking he really does want to start a discussion of the problems of the game. He seems to love the game though I only watch his pack reviews so I could be wrong.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,818 Member
    https://www.lowes.com/projects/2018/2018-kitchen-trends-islands/project

    Maybe you all ought to go look at cabinets and islands - they look all different to me.

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 169 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    https://www.lowes.com/projects/2018/2018-kitchen-trends-islands/project

    Maybe you all ought to go look at cabinets and islands - they look all different to me.

    This makes me sad about our lack of kitchens...
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 262 Member
    I find it really funny how anyone who is a Game Changer is automatically considered an EA lacky around here. I am sorry, but a lot of the people I watch have been making Sims videos since Sims 2 and Sims 3 days or even earlier. They didn't start out as Game Changers. James didn't start making videos with Sims 4. He doesn't squeal like a kid over the packs, he hates CAS. He loves to build and most of his videos are rags to riches types, and if you have ever watched them, you would know that he points out a lot of mistakes and irritants in almost all of his videos. Some game changers are in fact exactly what you say they are, but not all and I think it unfair to lump them all together like that. I have two that I watch regularly, not for their reviews, but for their let's plays, because I find them entertaining, James happens to be one and I have never seen him be critical of a pack and then turn around and make an apology video to make up for it. Just to add, I don't think Sims 4 is a great game either, I love Sims 2 and Sims 3 more. Sims 4 is actually my least favorite. So I am not biased by loving this game, I just think people see the words Game Changer and automatically form critical opinions of the player, which is sad.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top