August 7 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here!
Are you ready for the The Sims Spark'd? Discuss the final episode here! Don't forget to use spoiler tags! Need a refresher? Click here!

They're never going to add full actual religion into the game, and that's okay. But what if they did

Comments

  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 1,496 Member
    I also have an old thread about this that may be worth taking a look at. Idk if i linked it already but here it is:

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/888914/religion-spirituality-in-sims-4#latest
    The Sims has currently lost its identity.

    FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

    Please bring it back.Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,630 Member
    @Ivyeyed I do not "feel" threatened by your theoretical idea nor did I wish to be dismissive. Merely to highlight how unlikely the idea is to become reality and how best to help those who are desperate to have religious objects and clothing in their game. I note also that you raised the thread for fun and that you are not keen on the idea of mods or cc.

    With that in mind perhaps a pack would be the best solution if you could persuade the developers to include religion. For the depth of gameplay some in this thread want then I would suggest an EP. This could include all the religious objects and clothing anyone might possibly want,as well as fulfilling religious wishes or aspirations.

    How to get round the thorny question of which religions or cults to pick I do not know. Perhaps a poll because it would be impossible to include all variants. Just thinking of the Christian sects in the UK alone is mind boggling. The use of the pack would obviate the need for toggles or option menus in the base game. It would also permit EA to go on selling the base game but not necessarily the pack in more conservative countries where the pack and, therefore, possibly, the game might be otherwise banned.

    One last point. It would be good to think that the subject matter for such an EP would be handled sympathetically by the developers. I am not completely convinced this would be the case.

    I do not expect a reply as you say this is theoretical and much has already been covered by others.

    I have taken the liberty of including two religious builds which are in the worlds I am creating. As these are based on English towns I would love some religious decor to make them realistic but they do show what can be achieved using just packs and store content.

    XLZadoD.png

    pKcxGhO.png
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

    Sim enim est vita
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 1,496 Member
    edited July 4
    Also taken from this kotaku article (https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/08/exposing-the-dark-underbelly-of-the-sims-lore/):

    The Kine Society, lead by Sinjin Balani, is featured heavily in the handheld adaptation of The Sims 2 for PSP, but it also shows up briefly in the Nintendo DS version, under the guidance of everybody’s favourite goth girlfriend, Ava Cadavra. The members of this delightfully cooky group worship the great cow Beelzebeef, also know as the Prime Heifer — a force of great evil in the Sims universe. The Bovinomicon, the great cow’s religious book states that:

    Screen-Shot-2019-08-01-at-2.05.17-pm.png


    – The great cow Beelzebeef slumbers beneath the surface of the earth.

    – When Beelzebeef rises again, she will awaken the Elder Herd.

    – The Elder Herd will trample all those who stray from the teachings of the Kine.

    – Once the earth is cleansed, there will be a new era of peace and delicious grass.

    We can only assume what “once the earth is cleansed” implies, but it’s probably murder. Maybe.

    Given that the Sims 2 handheld games share characters with the mainline PC titles, it’s safe to assume that they’re canon to the main story. So when you’re setting up your family for life in Strangetown, watch out — there might just be an ancient cow cult growing beneath your feet.


    I also just came across this youtuber who played this chapter in the game. At the 25 min mark for the action. Take a look. It's absolutely WILD


    I've played with this personally in TS2 DS. This is how he appears there:
    400?cb=20140917023947

    Post edited by StrawberryYogurt on
    The Sims has currently lost its identity.

    FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

    Please bring it back.Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 16,696 Member
    Lol at the Prime Heifer. 😄 Thanks for sharing.
    One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,177 Member
    edited July 4
    I think if they added religion, they can let the player set it freely like club from GT. Players can configure the religion or even cult in game from reality or other fictional, or they can create a religion(or cult) by themselves, such as “Shadowism” "Cutie Cult" “Valentin Vicious Worship”
    C8cd0K.jpg
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 18,640 Member
    edited July 6
    ThunderNeb wrote: »
    They would enrage every religious fanatic out there with opposing critisms like:not enough like mine, too much like mine, it's a cult. People are very touchy about religion. The safest way is to have an upgrade for Get Together where you can customize your club to practice religieous rites at the "clubhouse". Club members could be priests and invite a club following.
    Yeah I asked the Gurus to have it more customizable like clubs. Because even in different parts of the world, they same religion can wear or celebrate different holidays from each other. So having it more freeform would be more inclusive towards all practices and beliefs. Cults did come with Discover University and Realm of Magic brings the wicca religion to the Sims.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 1,401 Member
    edited July 6
    Creating religion in the game like this is creating opportunity for those religion haters kind of person to make any kind of mocking and blasphemies for the intended religion that they hate. I dont want it if someone disparaging mine.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 1,159 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    Creating religion in the game like this is creating opportunity for those religion haters kind of person to make any kind of mocking and blasphemies for the intended religion that they hate. I dont want it if someone disparaging mine.

    That's why you need faith, so you can withstand the trolls.
  • Sakia90Sakia90 Posts: 39 Member
    edited July 6
    leo3487 wrote: »
    a definitive answer why not want religion and why gurus never will add it:
    Religions ban LGBT relationship
    The Sims is LGBT friendly
    End of discussion

    Not all real world religions do, there are many more religions than Abrahamic ones, you know. Also there are a lot and I mean A LOT of LGBT people who have a religion.

    That being said, I don't want real world religions in the game. They can do fictional religions. I like the ones that are in Sims Medieval. I think they should bring back the Peteran and the Jacoban religions to the next Sims game.

    Edit: I just realized this a few months old. Oh well.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 18,640 Member
    edited July 7
    izecson wrote: »
    Creating religion in the game like this is creating opportunity for those religion haters kind of person to make any kind of mocking and blasphemies for the intended religion that they hate. I dont want it if someone disparaging mine.
    Eh not going to let the trolls prevent content from getting created whether it is different faiths, cultures, disabilities, or LGBTQIA+ content. If we did that, than everything in the Sims would be offensive to someone and nothing would be created. Making gameplay that is more freeform like clubs I think would help. I have come across people who hate me who are religious too bringing political nonsense of why things can't be made. I get tired of people trying to trump over everything with their negativity of preventing content from being made. Thus why I play Sims to escape the haters of the world. I am all for constructive feedback, but saying something should never be made isn't constructive.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 279 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    Creating religion in the game like this is creating opportunity for those religion haters kind of person to make any kind of mocking and blasphemies for the intended religion that they hate. I dont want it if someone disparaging mine.

    I see this brought up whenever anyone wants any kind of diversity in the game, and it feels like it’s an argument against sims simulating people at all.

    Like, they can’t have human skin tones or someone might be racist with them. They can’t have gender, someone might do something sexist in their game.

    If someone does something terrible with their game, that’s on them. No reason to punish the whole class for one kid’s misbehaving.

    6MHlTGt.png

    This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    izecson wrote: »
    Creating religion in the game like this is creating opportunity for those religion haters kind of person to make any kind of mocking and blasphemies for the intended religion that they hate. I dont want it if someone disparaging mine.

    I see this brought up whenever anyone wants any kind of diversity in the game, and it feels like it’s an argument against sims simulating people at all.

    Like, they can’t have human skin tones or someone might be racist with them. They can’t have gender, someone might do something sexist in their game.

    If someone does something terrible with their game, that’s on them. No reason to punish the whole class for one kid’s misbehaving.

    Yah,this is a really dumb argument. Oeople are going to abuse systems always. It doesn't mean we should not have them
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 1,496 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah I asked the Gurus to have it more customizable like clubs. Because even in different parts of the world, they same religion can wear or celebrate different holidays from each other.

    Yeah using groups would work well, since not every faith is cookie cutter and may follow something like Jacobon or Peterson in Medieval. With the right tools and customization you could make a lot of things possible.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity.

    FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

    Please bring it back.Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 18,640 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah I asked the Gurus to have it more customizable like clubs. Because even in different parts of the world, they same religion can wear or celebrate different holidays from each other.

    Yeah using groups would work well, since not every faith is cookie cutter and may follow something like Jacobon or Peterson in Medieval. With the right tools and customization you could make a lot of things possible.
    Exactly. Storytelling would be more diverse too. I mean would allow DrGluon to make his clan of Jerry to an even more creative extent. I could make a Smurf storyline too with it.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 3,482 Member
    Hmm...

    Personally I would not like real world religions in the game. I would also severely dislike a spiritual need for every sim.

    However updating the club-system so that you can set it to have items that are important to them or a leader would be useful to me.

    I would take the important items, and leaders, and tailor them to my game. Lady Death could do with a cult of followers.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 3,785 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    izecson wrote: »
    Creating religion in the game like this is creating opportunity for those religion haters kind of person to make any kind of mocking and blasphemies for the intended religion that they hate. I dont want it if someone disparaging mine.

    I see this brought up whenever anyone wants any kind of diversity in the game, and it feels like it’s an argument against sims simulating people at all.

    Like, they can’t have human skin tones or someone might be racist with them. They can’t have gender, someone might do something sexist in their game.

    With the difference than be of one or other color, no ban other colors, also for genders
    a religion has rules than ban LGBTQ and threat women different than men
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 1,936 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    izecson wrote: »
    Creating religion in the game like this is creating opportunity for those religion haters kind of person to make any kind of mocking and blasphemies for the intended religion that they hate. I dont want it if someone disparaging mine.

    I see this brought up whenever anyone wants any kind of diversity in the game, and it feels like it’s an argument against sims simulating people at all.

    Like, they can’t have human skin tones or someone might be racist with them. They can’t have gender, someone might do something sexist in their game.

    With the difference than be of one or other color, no ban other colors, also for genders
    a religion has rules than ban LGBTQ and threat women different than men
    Correction every religion has there own rules.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 1,496 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    With the difference than be of one or other color, no ban other colors, also for genders
    a religion has rules than ban LGBTQ and threat women different than men

    There wont be discrimination or hate in the game just because religion is introduced. If there is no way to have horrors like racism, abuse, prejudice etc in the game now why would anything change with a religion feature? People who honestly are pursuing good dont engage in things like that and some are religious people. There are also hateful people who commit attrocities that arent religious, too. Dont paint everyone with a brush. Besides this is a game, and nothing like that has ever been a feature in The Sims.

    The Sims has currently lost its identity.

    FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

    Please bring it back.Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 3,785 Member
    edited July 8
    leo3487 wrote: »
    With the difference than be of one or other color, no ban other colors, also for genders
    a religion has rules than ban LGBTQ and threat women different than men

    There wont be discrimination or hate in the game just because religion is introduced. If there is no way to have horrors like racism, abuse, prejudice etc in the game now why would anything change with a religion feature? People who honestly are pursuing good dont engage in things like that and some are religious people. There are also hateful people who commit attrocities that arent religious, too. Dont paint everyone with a brush. Besides this is a game, and nothing like that has ever been a feature in The Sims.

    Because religion never was a feature in The Sims
    And now than the game is more inclusive than ever, religions is an incompatible feature

    using a phrase than some journalist say:
    "Realidad mata relato"
    something like:
    Reallity kills story
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 415 Member
    There's a mod with made up (so nobody is offended by the way theirs is displayed) simlish religions by Lumpinou on MTS. It's in Beta state. IMHO it's made with a lot of thought about how that kind of gameplay can be implemented.

    I wouldn't want any real religions more deeply implemented as is, because thats not what the sims franchise reflects for me.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 1,496 Member
    edited July 8
    leo3487 wrote: »
    Because religion never was a feature in The Sims
    And now than the game is more inclusive than ever, religions is an incompatible feature
    It has been in the game multiple times. Did you read any comments previous to this? Also how can you brag the game is inclusive when it excludes ways to practice religion (without mods or CC) a major part of millions of peoples lives?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity.

    FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

    Please bring it back.Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 284 Member
    edited July 8
    I think your detailing of how religions can be added to the game is close to how I envision it could work. I will state I am 100% against them pre-loading common religions like Christianity and Islam, but I am 100% in favor of them making up their own variations as pre-loaded religions like they did with Peterans and Jacobians in Medieval. Overall, I think religion can work in a very favorable way if it's given to us like the club systems where we can craft them how we want them to be. That way, if someone wants a religion that meets on Saturdays and doesn't eat pork, they can make that. If someone wants a religion that meets on Mondays and expects you to pay $1000 simoleons or else you'll have a bad work week, they can make that. If someone wants to make a religion that worships and consumes only Grilled Cheese, someone can do that. By making the system massively customizable without adding in real religions, no one loses out or feels like they're being made fun of and everyone can enjoy a fun system and either make their own cults or secret societies that worship octopus gods or literally whatever they want. All these people saying it can't be done are people who are limited by their own limited imagination and can't imagine religions outside of the major ones that pervade our world today.

    As a note, I'm a staunch atheist, but I've always been fascinated by religion, so I'm all for it in The Sims.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 18,640 Member
    edited July 10
    leo3487 wrote: »
    leo3487 wrote: »
    With the difference than be of one or other color, no ban other colors, also for genders
    a religion has rules than ban LGBTQ and threat women different than men

    There wont be discrimination or hate in the game just because religion is introduced. If there is no way to have horrors like racism, abuse, prejudice etc in the game now why would anything change with a religion feature? People who honestly are pursuing good dont engage in things like that and some are religious people. There are also hateful people who commit attrocities that arent religious, too. Dont paint everyone with a brush. Besides this is a game, and nothing like that has ever been a feature in The Sims.

    Because religion never was a feature in The Sims
    And now than the game is more inclusive than ever, religions is an incompatible feature

    using a phrase than some journalist say:
    "Realidad mata relato"
    something like:
    Reallity kills story
    Not true. Sims from its inception has been a god game and asked the questions in this video of what kind of god would you be?


    So you are your own god in the game and your Sims are essentially your followers in which you control the rules.

    So yes I am all for using a club system type to make freeform beliefs in which the player has the controls instead of the game controlling the story like majority of packs do force the player to play only a single way.

    Also I would recommend watching the show Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist which I think you would like the character Mo a lot.

    Also fun interview with Will Wright and he talks about what kind of god he would be and how the game was designed to control characters and he has it like you are a gardener nurturing plants. http://www.gamestudies.org/0102/pearce/

    I do understand how there is toxicity with some communities and where you are coming from. I mod for a LGBTQIA+ advocate who works with people experiencing oppression. I am religious, but my religion did experience oppression in concentration camps along with LGBTQIA+ communities and continues to today with some countries. Not all religions teach to be oppressive to other people. Mine doesn't, but teaches people the golden rule. I am sorry that you have been hurt by people, but know that I will not be one of those people. I also love Katy Perry Calm Down video. Anyways I'll stop myself there because I probably have broken too many rules as it is now. So hard to talk about content like this with how the rules are set up on forums. I am pro human rights.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 3,785 Member
    edited July 11
    You see why cant talk about religion and The Sims 4 never will bring religions. It can be offensive for several groups than was opressed due religion rules
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 18,640 Member
    edited July 11
    leo3487 wrote: »
    You see why cant talk about religion and The Sims 4 never will bring religions. It can be offensive for several groups than was opressed due religion rules
    Eh I wouldn't let that prevent things from getting done though because if that was the case we would never have gotten LGBTQIA+ premades even with it being offensive to some. I couldn't care less what the PC people think trying to prevent any content from being made because it being offensive to someone. Different churches have different religious rules. Some churches accept minorities while others don't. It is like saying that the Sims 4 only sells to Gen X players which people have been saying for years. Can't let prejudice people prevent from content from being made. Again watch the show, it is great. People have been oppressing any negative feedback regarding the Sims 4 for years. Has it stopped anyone? Nope. I just won't accept that something can't be done. Also Sims 4 still doesn't have non-binary gender in the game while games like Temtem do, so even with the Sims 4 it is still stuck in the 1950s in several ways. Sims 4 has brought religions in the game already, so that ship has sailed. For example Sims 4 Seasons, Sims 4 Realm of Magic, Sims 4 Strangeville, Sims 4 Jungle Adventures, Sims 4 Discover University, Sims 4 Island Living, and base game additions such as the Lunar New Year: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/lunar-new-year-2019 and Muslim content: https://vulcanpost.com/674605/sims-4-hijab-muslim-clothing-update-september-2019/

    Governments tend to oppress their rules upon LGBTQIA+ people too and like talking with my friend I mod for who did a charity stream to help refugees escape those oppressive countries which was also oppressing religions not of their churches too and stealing property from them. So yes I understand how oppression is deeply affecting the country where I live now which is also where the Sims is made. I have had people threaten my life before. So yes I understand where you are coming from. Oppression and bullying is real. I have experienced it. I am just so sorry you have had to experience it too. Anyways it is why I joined forums because of oppression happening to my religion. There are still people of it that are beaten and tortured taken away from their home countries to other countries where LGBTQIA+ people are experiencing that treatment too just for choosing how they want to be. It isn't right and I am not for anyone taking human rights from another human being. Why Sims is nice, it takes away those barriers and allows Simmers from everywhere to play the same game. It is very international and what I love most about it. People don't have to hide who they are playing the Sims. Sims never did have sides so I don't understand why it started to get PC with the Sims 4. Making a group of people come together who are LGBTQIA+ who want to practice magic or religion or science together I think would improve the game for everyone. It needs to be open ended and not restrictive with rules which I think you are afraid of happening and honestly I am too whenever a new pack comes out is it restricting rules on its players of being able to play only the rich 1950s Suburbian way.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top