Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

They're never going to add full actual religion into the game, and that's okay. But what if they did

Comments

• AmTk86AmTk86 Posts: 80 Member
    [quote=Please don’t say “religions” when you mean “very specific sects of some Abrahamic religions”. There are plenty of beliefs and traditions that either accommodate or even reverence queer identities. Regardless, building a system for going to a weekly sermon or following a personal dress code or something doesn’t mean they have to do the extra ridiculous work of building an entire prejudice system that has never existed in-game. That’s wild and unnecessary and would be easier to not include than include.

[/quote]

Thank you!!! I hate when people make definitive statements of all religions when they’re just talking about the Abrahamic ones.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    There's no reason to insult difference cultures & beliefs, that's just rude & mean.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Thank you @SERVERFRA and yeah why I think making religion open concept would be better because even with Abrahamic religions beliefs and traditions differ I have noticed depending on each church. I was raised with the golden rule myself where people of all racial backgrounds and ages meet together in the same space, so we are all treated equally. Honestly if it wasn't for my faith, I would be lost during this pandemic and they have been there for me and my family making sure we are ok and everything with my dad dealing with cancer and my mom and her health problems too. I bonded with a LGBTQIA+ advocate because we both related on a persecution events going on now and in the past and we both love music. Life isn't all black and white and Sims community has always been inclusive towards all people where no borders exist, so makes me sad how concentration camps try to be set within the Sims community. I am tired of politics plaguing my Sims games and I want the game to be inclusive towards everyone. I am far from perfect myself and always learning every day. Anyway keep safe everyone and so thankful technology is there to help me during this time to connect me with communities.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    They can include religion. And it would not be a bad thing either.

More people who want it need to bubble it up to the gurus who make those decisions
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2020
    troshalom wrote: »
    They can include religion. And it would not be a bad thing either.

More people who want it need to bubble it up to the gurus who make those decisions
    I did. They loved the idea. :) I mean just with the ideas shared in this thread have been very helpful. It should be sandbox rather than confined rules like how clubs work or events work with Get Together and Seasons. Even suggested it would be easier for a streamer I mod for to make a witch coven with it. That's the thing about the Sims being a life simulator and fantasy simulator initially is being able to set our own rules and be our own god in the game. I always thought it was funny in the Sims how Will Wright made himself the god.
    MTS_simsample-1309241-WillWrightBean.jpg
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    I do doubt we'd get any actual religions but perhaps something similar to what the Sims Medieval did like introducing competing systems of belief. I do think the inclusions (the menorah object & attend holiday ceromony) we've gotten so far are well implemented features that allow us to hint at a sims religious background without delving too deep into a specific viewpoint.

I think a pack centered around general values/beliefs/spirituality for our sims would greatly benefit the game and perhaps be a way to reintroduce whims or as a more fleshed out way to do a wants/fears system that allows us to shape our sims personalities beyond their easily manipulated "emotions". This system would be a more long-term behavioral pattern of the sim that would shape how they behaved autonomously as well as how they reacted to certain situations forced on them by the player.

For example: we could have a romantic, family oriented sim that would rather wait for marriage to woohoo for the first time or have a ambitious, outgoing sim that get a significant boost when sharing their beliefs or encouraging others to join them. Perhaps a Lonor sim would be more interested in simply observing their spirtuality with themselves in a quiet room for hours on end. Maybe theirs a value for outdoors sims that simply makes them want to get out in nature more

In such a pack, the pool of beliefs/values would be pulled from several sources (both monotheistic and polytheistic). I think theres a way to do it tastefully in a way that would still make it interesting in game but not insulting to any belief.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    I would love the idea of the sims feeding & clothing the poor, healing the sick, giving moral support & have a belief of hope, joy & compassion.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    The new EP, Eco Lifestyle has 2 lesbian couples
    Really need more cue than gurus no want include religion?
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'd have no issue if they did, just don't forget us Pagans, I have many friends that are Christian and we support each other with our differences and I have no issues with any religion they'd add, just as long as they don't forget Paganism too please

I already change seasonal holidays to match the Sabbats we have, Samhain, Ostera, Beltane and the others. I wish there were a few more options without a mod to add more things they can do, if they'd allow all the rings you can do with clubs to what you can do for holiday that would help too and be great.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited May 2020
    @leo3487 wrote: »
    a definitive answer why not want religion and why gurus never will add it:
    Religions ban LGBT relationship
    The Sims is LGBT friendly
    End of discussion

Muslim content ... LGBT friendly ... I doubt about that.
    Russia or China aren't LGBT friendly, should The Sims Studio never add Russian and Chinese content ?

Nothing is black or white.

If you look at Eco Lifestyle, The Sims Studio don't blame the players who are not eco-friendly, pollution-friendly is also a positive gameplay !

Just they give us the choice in a positive way for everybody.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited May 2020
    @leo3487 Maybe it's time to create our own LGBT religion who support/encourage same sex marriage, don't you think ?

Or Create-A-Mythology with gods and goddesses ! The Greek Mythology was LGBT friendly.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    I've found that most of the religions I know of that have existed have always treated women as second class citizens so not for me I'm afraid.

If Maxis made the religion equal opportunity for all I wouldn't mind it. Even Sims Medieval was sexist wasn't it? Was there a woman priest in it? I can't remember, if so maybe someone could remind me.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    As was mentioned, you can basically simulate it now. I do that in a way, but it isn't heavy handed and if you make assumptions about me from that, they're probably incorrect. I just have various characters, some are religious and some aren't. Off the top of my head, I have characters in the following religions: Christian - Catholic, Christian - Protestant - Modern, Christian - Protestant - Traditional, Christian - Orthodox, mainstream Mormon, "Fringe" Mormon, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu - more and less traditional, agnostic, hippies, Island spiritual beliefs, sims with no moral code. Those are all I can think of right now, but others could join the list. I don't yet have Buddhists or traditional Chinese or Japanese households but they could certainly be added.

I have downloaded several very nicely done churches of different styles from the gallery. If they want to incorporate religion in some open-ended way, I'd be fine with that. They could add features. Currently, I use the club system and just send them to gather with certain activities such as being friendly and playing or listening to music. They can all sit together in a group. Other townies tend to show up so it looks somewhat realistic. You can basically simulate religious practice though it may not line up exactly with real life.

I'd actually be interested in having them introduce therapy/psychology for sims in some way. I'm sure some people would complain that the game is already too happy. I'd be interested in seeing couples counseling, life coaching, general therapy ("Let's talk about it"), etc, maybe while adding some more intense gameplay of some sort, such as more opportunities for complications. I don't think that needs to be its own pack, it could be part of a larger concept. Add more intense reactions but also the ability to work things out for those wanting to do so.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I've found that most of the religions I know of that have existed have always treated women as second class citizens so not for me I'm afraid.

If Maxis made the religion equal opportunity for all I wouldn't mind it. Even Sims Medieval was sexist wasn't it? Was there a woman priest in it? I can't remember, if so maybe someone could remind me.

Dianic Witchcraft is a feminist and most often only females that are involved with this type
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    smurfy77 wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »

Dianic Witchcraft is a feminist and most often only females that are involved with this type

Not 'equal opportunity' though is it? o:)>:)<3
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    anywat I insist in it
    The Sims 4 accept LGTBQ+ people
    Religions no
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    anywat I insist in it
    The Sims 4 accept LGTBQ+ people
    Religions no

Traditionally, many religions have been against LGBTQ+, this is true. But many sects and branches are changing on that.

American Baptist Churches of Metro Chicago has a married gay pastor as their executive minister, for example. American Baptists are generally Mainline Protestant, as opposed to Southern Baptists, which are traditionally Evangelical.

So an Equal opportunity LGBTQ+ fictional religion is perfectly viable for the Sims - but I can understand why they wouldn't want to do that and don't ever expect one to be added officially.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I wish they could add spirituality like a need motive if you have a 'religiously inclined' trait, and you could do things that fill it up. That'd be great! Reading a holy book, spending time in nature etc things like that to fill the need.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    I wish they could add spirituality like a need motive if you have a 'religiously inclined' trait, and you could do things that fill it up. That'd be great! Reading a holy book, spending time in nature etc things like that to fill the need.

Ohh! I love this idea. Maybe a need like “contemplation” or “reflection”, and optional religious/not religious traits. All sims need to fill the need. Sims that are neutral on religion can fill it any which way. Sims with the traits fill it faster in either religious or secular contexts. And maybe religious sims get tense if they haven’t done something related to their faith in a while, while not religious sims get tense when being preached to or while at religious services.

And you can have the things like reading a holy book, attending a service, prayer, etc that fill it.

And secular things like being in nature, thinking by the fire, floating in the pool, listening to certain music stations, that fill the need too.

And also you could add a gospel radio station. This has nothing to do with adding a contemplation need. I just realized just now how much my atheist self would absolutely LOVE a gospel music station in Simlish.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • ThunderNebThunderNeb Posts: 55 Member
    They would enrage every religious fanatic out there with opposing critisms like:not enough like mine, too much like mine, it's a cult. People are very touchy about religion. The safest way is to have an upgrade for Get Together where you can customize your club to practice religieous rites at the "clubhouse". Club members could be priests and invite a club following.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Can't we just keep The Sims franchise neutral and make it easy to mod in any religion or cult that people want? Why is this still an issue?

• RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    In case anyone is interested, I created a Pastor career for one of my Sims:
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/38541182
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Can't we just keep The Sims franchise neutral and make it easy to mod in any religion or cult that people want? Why is this still an issue?

You’ll note the entire thread’s title acknowledges this isn’t going to happen. No need to feel threatened by people speculating and imagining how it COULD work for fun.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Personally I am happy there is no "religion" in the game. I hope it remains that way for TS5 and beyond. That might sound harsh, and it does not necessarily reflect my personal beliefs, so please read on.

Many players get round this by celebrating their special festivals and creating their own religious buildings in the privacy of their own game. That way no one is offended by being left out or misrepresented which would certainly happen if religion became a component of the game. Even the idea of a global sims religion might be a sticking point for all those agnostic and non believers who play; organised religion in any form might well be unacceptable to them.

Also the thought of religion being used as entertainment might cause offence in some quarters. So IMO all of these things played into the original decision not to include religion and might well explain why the idea has not been muted by EA.

As for religious objects and articles of clothing perhaps this could be left to the cc makers. That way those that want to use them can.

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited July 2020
    Urg my answer deleted.
    Anyways
    In ts2 there was a podium career unlock. It built your charisma skill and sims would come listen to you and either respond positively or negatively depending on your skill level. It would only draw about 3-5 sims though.

If there was like a super podium you can create a large hall and have many people listening all at once. You could even add an animation where the sim pulls out a holy book to follow along!

Even a proselytizing interaction and another sim can respond postively or negatively depending on their trait or motive level? If you could pick in CAS a sims spiritual leaning if they are a nonbelieving sim from the get go they are not interested. But if they are neutral they may or may not. If they are religiously inclined they may be.

In Civ 6 there is proselytizing with any religion or custom religion. Your successfulness depends on the level of your unit and other factors. But i think it works as a different function in Civ 6 because it is a score/domination game. There is a score win, culture win, religion win, science win or domination win. I always do science because the rest are too difficult OTL

If they had a history pack it would be so cool to see clothing, objects, actions etc from ancient history. The romans, assyrians, egyptians etc clothing. With other games I like to do bible study projects and recreate events in them as special projects and theyre really fun and can get detailed. For example in Age of empires 3 i was able to recreate the land around ancient Jericho by researching maps and using encylopedias and recreate the fall of Jericho. I used my units to do the horns and seven marches and everything.

If I could dress up an assyrian king in the sims that woul be amazing. There are so many stories to recreate. Also for history buffs in general itd be cool. Build the pantheon, the gates of babylon, the sphynix and more. I like watching tours through a youtuber who uses assaisins creed to teach about ancient greek and roman culture. And have the tools to storyplay. But that may be best suited to historic games? Which I already like a lot and play.

This is really wishful thinking coz its something the sims team would never add 😂 but i can dream. If they were more openminded about gameplay instead of guided play for things itd be possible. But its just not that kins of game. Like in the guild 2 you can be farmer, robber king, mayor, church leader etc and everything. You could be peaceful or extort everyone lol. Its kind of how Kenshi is, you can literally go off and do anything in the game.
    Or could look for CC because i have 0 skills in making anything...

Itd also be nice to have more skirts, dresses and suits im general. Especially wedding attire. We really need more!
    Post edited by StrawberryYogurt on
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.