Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will we ever have drivable cars in TS4?

Comments

• Reallysoawkward23Reallysoawkward23 Posts: 175 Member
    I think they will add cars, just because it is a major thing that is still missing that many in the community are interested in. We have now gotten a lot of the things that were originally missing in the base game- ghosts, family trees, toddlers, and pools to name a few. Yes we still don’t have open words or CAS, but those are things I think they’ve explicitly said they can’t do. Personally I want cars if only because houses look weird without proper garages and for storytelling purposes. I want my sims to be able to fix up cars and drive fancy cars if they’re rich and cheap cars if they are poor.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    Would it even work? I know TS2 had cars, but how did they work exactly? A lot of the lots in TS4 don't have roads, so wouldn't they look a bit out of place?
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited November 2019
    Would it even work? I know TS2 had cars, but how did they work exactly? A lot of the lots in TS4 don't have roads, so wouldn't they look a bit out of place?

I mentioned this before; they can go for a ''hybrid'' system between the Sims 2 and the Sims 3 cars.

Sims 2: Have animations to get in/out of the car, listen to music in the car, woohoo in the car etc.
    Sims 3: Teleport onto the (nearest) road and drive away.

Neighborhoods without proper roads they can also just teleport away into the loadingscreen.

This is honestly the only thing I can see cars being happening in The Sims 4 (unfortunately).
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited November 2019
    rudy8292 wrote: »

I mentioned this before; they can go for a ''hybrid'' system between the Sims 2 and the Sims 3 cars.

Sims 2: Have animations to get in/out of the car, listen to music in the car, woohoo in the car etc.

Neighborhoods without proper roads they can also just teleport away into the loadingscreen.

This is honestly the only thing I can see cars being happening in The Sims 4 (unfortunately).

I'd be fine if they just had the animation of them getting in to the car (TS2 style) and then the car teleports out of the driveway. Still adds more realism than them walking out to the grass and teleporting lol And now that we have brooms I really want the helicopter back because all that did was go up and down to land and take off.

And neighborhoods without proper roads are easily dealt with. Some regions just dont support certain travel. It could be similar to climate where you'll find different transport options in different places. Sulani would be primarily dependent on boats, offroad vehicles and bikes.
    I'd love a Venice type world where everyone walks or takes bikes or takes gondolas
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

I'd be fine if they just had the animation of them getting in to the car (TS2 style) and then the car teleports out of the driveway. Still adds more realism than them walking out to the grass and teleporting lol And now that we have brooms I really want the helicopter back because all that did was go up and down to land and take off.

And neighborhoods without proper roads are easily dealt with. Some regions just dont support certain travel. It could be similar to climate where you'll find different transport options in different places. Sulani would be primarily dependent on boats, offroad vehicles and bikes.
    I'd love a Venice type world where everyone walks or takes bikes or takes gondolas

A Venice type world would be amazing
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    edited November 2019
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

Yeah and at least in a Venice type world walking and biking everywhere would make actual realistic sense lol I wouldnt mind the lack of cars in the game so much if it werent for the fake roads and fake cars making walking everywhere look even more ridiculous. Had they given us worlds were driving just isnt much of a thing we'd have probably given them less slack about it. And there are plenty of places like that. Theres a couple of handfuls of towns and cities in the US that are completely or almost completely car free.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    edited November 2019
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

Yeah and at least in a Venice type world walking and biking everywhere would make actual realistic sense lol I wouldnt mind the lack of cars in the game so much if it werent for the fake roads and fake cars making walking everywhere look even more ridiculous. Had they given us worlds were driving just isnt much of a thing we'd have probably given them less slack about it. And there are plenty of places like that. Theres a couple of handfuls of towns and cities in the US that are completely or almost completely car free.

I know that car-free places are a thing and that not everyone owns a private vehicle, but it still boggles me that other forms of transportation (other than the ones in IL and DU) don't exist in their world. No buses, carpools, and I think the subways are only implied to exist in San Myshuno, but otherwise have no gameplay impact. Kind of weird for a modern-day life sim
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    I think cars are coming for 3 reasons

Because we now have boats and bikes

Cause we now have a Transportation Catagory

Cause starting with Get Famous and then Strangerville there is a lot of fake cars in various places.
    edited November 2019
    I think cars are coming for 3 reasons

Because we now have boats and bikes

Cause we now have a Transportation Catagory

Cause starting with Get Famous and then Strangerville there is a lot of fake cars in various places.

Also the improved roadways. Sulani aside (which makes sense to be boat dependent) they've made sure not to have any Brindleton-esque homes with no driveways.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • FreechheitFreechheit Posts: 128 Member
    Also, I noticed that there are more (fake) cars driving by. My Sims live in Newcrest and it was always a quiet neighborhood, now it is quite loud with all the cars driving by... Or maybe the cars are just louder now, I have no idea what happened.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    edited November 2019
    I believe there will be actual drivable car sometime in 2020 because we now have transportation in build mode. Also, there probably be at least an open neighborhood in the near future.
    Post edited by SERVERFRA on
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    It would be really cool to see but I feel like at this stage it would be hard to implement or only be achievable if they created a new world dedicated to just cars.
    p6tqefj
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I believe there will be actual durable car sometime in 2020 because we now have transportation in build mode. Also, there probably be at least an open neighborhood in the near future.

Probably sooner then later. The 20th Annivesary of The Sims is in February. Perfect timing to bring back cars.
    alexandrea wrote: »
    It would be really cool to see but I feel like at this stage it would be hard to implement or only be achievable if they created a new world dedicated to just cars.

They could use the teleport method but you'd see them driving till they hit a load screen.
  • meraikameraika Posts: 16 Member
    I wouldn't even mind if the cars were more aesthetic than functional, like they would just get in their car and disappear off the lot when they go to work, or when they travel and it changes to a loading screen.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    For this installment of S4 I jsut don't see them being implemented correctly considering there's a majority of lots that don't even have a road next to their home, which I don't see working. I like how they were in S2 (considerng there were animations of sims getting in and out of the car and sims sitting in the car with the music on as well). But this iteration?

I don't expect to see them compared to smaller modes of transport sims can just ride around on in one area.

@LadyKyn msot houses don't have waterfront, but we still got boats in IL.

meraika wrote: »
    I wouldn't even mind if the cars were more aesthetic than functional, like they would just get in their car and disappear off the lot when they go to work, or when they travel and it changes to a loading screen.

I want them functional especially regarding woohoo and making out.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I think yes it may be like Sims 2 but at least we have them. Also I want vechiles like the mail truck, maids/delivery truck, plumber, school bus, trash and recycle collector. I also want to see the cars get dirty and wash them. Either by hand or go to car wash. (The car wash is just me talking that probably won't happen but yeah lol.) Car freshener like you pick cherry, strawberry, lemon to freshen the car. also car accident and car jobs like Uber/Lyft. Or delivery.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Yes and no. I feel the engine, mechanics, and setup of TS4 is a little too limiting to allow it. Worlds are smaller, have nothing in them to really travel to, and you teleport everywhere. But if it's being currently worked on (and I can see the current mechanics used for bicycles improved upon to allow them) by EA, I'm excited to see what becomes of it.

On another note, I was messing around with the liveeditobjects cheat, and was surprised to see the Vorn P238 truck in TS4. Using the environment objects revealed by that cheat, I can still add vehicles to a lot's driveway, but that still isn't really enough.
  • IlkavelleIlkavelle Posts: 41 Member
    I agree with previous comments, now when we have bikes and boats, cars seem to be more possible then before. And also as aleady mentioned the new transport category. I think this will happen. The question is what is their idea for cars. They could work exactly like bikes. But maybe they will add something to surprise us? I wish we could have options to build car or fix it (building was in TS2, right?)
    My site: SimsQuest | Twitter
  • simsgames2324simsgames2324 Posts: 20 Member
    I hope so, but i doubt it.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I believe there will be actual durable car sometime in 2020 because we now have transportation in build mode. Also, there probably be at least an open neighborhood in the near future.

Probably sooner then later. The 20th Annivesary of The Sims is in February. Perfect timing to bring back cars.

I sort of doubt it. TS4's fifth ann. got rebrand. I can't imagine what they were thinking, how did that build upon the game for the player? It didn't. So, with that in mind, I don't think the 20th ann. for The Sims is going to be anything players wanted but some facial dressing up of the game, yet again. More inline with something like the rebrand. Probably something as silly as yet again a new plumbbob.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    I think yes it may be like Sims 2 but at least we have them. Also I want vechiles like the mail truck, maids/delivery truck, plumber, school bus, trash and recycle collector. I also want to see the cars get dirty and wash them. Either by hand or go to car wash. (The car wash is just me talking that probably won't happen but yeah lol.) Car freshener like you pick cherry, strawberry, lemon to freshen the car. also car accident and car jobs like Uber/Lyft. Or delivery.

I too want car washes.
  • AoifeAoife Posts: 3 New Member
    I honestly want cars for the sole purpose of adding more variety/realism.

My boyfriend loves working on cars and that's his hobby. So even just to add cars as a hobby would be perfect, as well as being able to have a garage (right now I use the garage murals to imitate having a garage but can't connect the garage to the house due to foundation issues, of course unless I don't use foundation).

My 2 cents -

Car functionality/uses:

- Be able to own a car, fix it, work on it, grow "handy" skill, etc.
    - Can have your own auto shop business, people bring in their cars to fix tires, change oil, do paint jobs/custom wraps, other customizations.
    - Can purchase super old beat up cars (or even just find them in the world i.e. treasure hunting/exploring) and fix them up to pristine condition and sell them.
    - Some cars can be collectible?
    - Additional interactions for sims and car.

My thoughts are, you don't necessarily have to drive the cars, but just having them available as a hobby since that is a real thing in the world.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    No I don't think they are going to put cars in Sims 4 Sims still walk around like they are stupid even in Sims 2 if I remember they got into a car and then disappeared who ever thought of the idea of Sims walk home or from place to place must be a real morn.