Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I think Muslim inspired clothing was either made or introduced wrong

This is not meant as an inflammatory post, I just think that the tweet that was delivered on Twitter was done rather wrongly.

Islam is a religion. "Muslim inspired clothing" is religious clothing, not cultural clothing. I don't think that it is fair to keep your fans from asking for "Christian clothing" when the tweet implies that it is religious clothing that you are adding. As if you are choosing to represent religion, I want Judaism, Christianity and Buddhism represented too.

Culture is more country based. It is what everyone wears and not just the believers of specific religion in a specific region. I think that it would have been more fair if you introduced the new items as "Middle Eastern themed", unless they're used specifically only by the religious (in which case, once again, it's not cultural). Even better, I would have loved to see items and clothing inspired by country to country. It doesn't group up a diverse group of people into one coherent culture, but rather advertises each country's culture individually. Such as "Saudi Arabia based clothing", etc. I think if you introduced items by country and made them more country specific, it would feel a lot more interesting and a lot less inflammatory.

https://youtu.be/EaUw4ZhK8As

TLDR: I think the choice of words in the tweet advertising upcomming clothing was wrong, or if it wasn't, then it is valid to ask for other religious garbs too.

Comments

• LimorzLimorz Posts: 77 Member
    why wouldnt it be fair to ask I dont understand why they keep closing those threats, its a legit request if they did muslim clothes
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I'm very sure that you won't find the word "muslim" in game.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

thing is, I don't understand the advertised branding. There are beautiful outfits in Middle East worn by religious and non religious alike that are more to do with the countries that they came from than the religion. Some countries enforce the religion by law, but there are Middle Eastern countries that do not. 🐸🐸🐸🐸 it specifically as "religion X inspired clothing" makes me think that we are going to get very extreme looking clothing that are worn only by the members of the religion. So it feels like they mislabeled it.

they literally said muslim in the stream
    Aine wrote: »
    It's cultural clothing. Get over it.

But Jewish attire is not? If pleading for other religious clothing is blocked on the ground that it is religious, then they failed to brand the current update right if they think that it is not religious.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I thought it was neat. I have a few female sims that I wanted wearing proper hijabs.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I think that if they promoted it as "middle eastern" clothing and architecture people wouldn't have a problem with it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    But Jewish attire is not? If pleading for other religious clothing is blocked on the ground that it is religious, then they failed to brand the current update right if they think that it is not religious.
    Is it ? Didn't we get a tichel with City Living ??

I'd love some Jewish stuff - we already have the menora and stuff. And A LOT of Christmas stuff. So I don't know why you're whining.

Christmas stuff is actually in a separate pack, so that you can avoid downloading it. Other topics asking for religion based outfits in this whole general forum have been closed left and right today, which is my precise issue.

- other outfits can not be asked for as they are religious

- Muslim outfits are considered cultural, therefore can be added

For the 2nd statement there to be true and not clash with the first statement, they have to mean more area based clothing and less religion based clothing, in which case they branded it wrong.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    My British dentist wears a hijab. So....
    the people keep saying remove the christmas tree
    the diffrence is for me at least I dont mind holiday build buy
    as for "modesty religion clothes" (sorry for my english but you get it) thats too much, dont want to see hijab burqa or nun outfits for that matter in the game
    wouldnt mind eid build and buy, wouldnt say a thing about that tbh
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    The other threads weren't shut down because they were asking for other outfits. They were shut down because they turned into religious arguments and people attacking EA for this addition. Also, there ARE other cultural outfits. Some outfits are associated with both religion and culture.
    Now I feel like I have to add definitions of words:

"hijab
    /hɪˈdʒɑːb/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    a head covering worn in public by some Muslim women.
    the religious code which governs the wearing of the hijab.""

It is very much a religious item.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member

I'd love some Jewish stuff - we already have the menora and stuff. And A LOT of Christmas stuff. So I don't know why you're whining.

Christmas stuff is actually in a separate pack, so that you can avoid downloading it. Other topics asking for religion based outfits in this whole general forum have been closed left and right today, which is my precise issue.

- other outfits can not be asked for as they are religious

- Muslim outfits are considered cultural, therefore can be added

For the 2nd statement there to be true and not clash with the first statement, they have to mean more area based clothing and less religion based clothing, in which case they branded it wrong.

The hijab can represent other cultures aswell, it's just a head scarf-wrap thingy. You can do whatever you want with it. You're really trying to be upset over something that is really nothing. I don't see the problem.

Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Now I feel like I have to add definitions of words:

"hijab
    /hɪˈdʒɑːb/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    a head covering worn in public by some Muslim women.
    the religious code which governs the wearing of the hijab.""

It is very much a religious item.

Yes. My British Muslim dentist wears a hijab.
    The other threads weren't shut down because they were asking for other outfits. They were shut down because they turned into religious arguments and people attacking EA for this addition. Also, there ARE other cultural outfits. Some outfits are associated with both religion and culture.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/965467/where-is-the-christian-content/p3

"Hi everyone,

I'm locking this discussion here. As you know, we have a rule on the forums against discussing religion because, as it's already happening here, things don't tend to remain respectful and polite.

As it has been commented here already, we've created content inspired by other cultures in the past. We decided to bring Muslim-inspired content to The Sims 4 because we are upholding our values of belonging and inclusivity, and want to provide players with opportunities to accurate represent themselves in game and play with life."

Pardon my English, but this gives me a feeling that we do not have the right to ask for other religious inspired clothing due to it being religious?
    leo3487 wrote: »

However this thread is not against content in its entirety. This thread is confused how the content is branded and treated. Your thread advocates for not including said content.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I think that if they promoted it as "middle eastern" clothing and architecture people wouldn't have a problem with it.
    Headscarves aren't even specifically Muslim -- some older Jewish women wear them, especially those in Orthodox or Hasidic traditions. People could adopt them for plenty of uses in their game.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited September 2019
    I get what they want to do is add diversity and culture as there are simmers from all over the world, I think they went about it the wrong way this time as they are now crossing over to beliefs we are not even allowed to discuss on here instead of just adding unique items that are just worn by everyone in those countries. Not all clothing and holidays have to do with one's faith or have be strictly so, so staying more neutral is better for the game and players. Nobody feels left out that why or cause problems. There are some beautiful traditional outfits that they could of added instead to avoid controversy while still adding different cultures into the game.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top