Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How about attics/usable space under the roof ?

DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
edited September 2019 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Well, as ROM is coming I decided to try building the Halliwell Manor from Charmed, which wouldn’t be the Halliwell Manor without it’s attic. Except.....we don’t have attics. The only way to build one is to make a room which never fits under the roof....or to use a half roof with windows and it’s also very annoying camera wise.

So how about giving us attics or making the space under the roof available like in TS3 ?

(Also ladders would be nice for attics)
Post edited by Dianesims on

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Yes, please! I've always wanted attics.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    This would be SO cool. I've always wanted attics in The Sims.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited September 2019
    Yes please! My sim's house is also based on a house from a series with an attic (and L shaped stairs to make it even more difficult). I have had to improvise and build the third floor inside the roof. The position isn't quite right as I had to avoid the walls peeking out of the roof. The roof also cuts into the walls in build mode which looks awful, but thankfully the roof disappears in live mode so it's playable. It would be nice not to have to pretend though.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Yes please (honestly, just give me the ability to lower a roof when I'm in cutaway walls mode so I can see the 'room' on that floor).
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Right ? This is so annoying !
    Yes please (honestly, just give me the ability to lower a roof when I'm in cutaway walls mode so I can see the 'room' on that floor).

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I also vote for Attics.
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Attics for President 2019
  • bubbajoe621bubbajoe621 Posts: 86 Member
    > @darrenfroggy said:
    > Yes please (honestly, just give me the ability to lower a roof when I'm in cutaway walls mode so I can see the 'room' on that floor).

This. I play exclusively in cutaway mode so I'm never going to use a true attic room. Peering in amongst whatever roofing surrounds it is just too irritating. Being able to fine-tune the eaves helped some. I'm trying to visualize how this could work and I think they could put a 4th setting on the UI where walls are still up/cutaway but roofs are down.
    I think in TS3 that was possible, I remember the space under my sims house roof was visible (and usable, either for an attic or extra rooms).

But in TS4 unless you manage to fit a room you can’t use it. And still, you have to have the walls completely down so the roof disapears and you can see.

They made basements possible so why not attics ? I guess somehow the roof would have to be a floor as well.
    > @darrenfroggy said:
    > Yes please (honestly, just give me the ability to lower a roof when I'm in cutaway walls mode so I can see the 'room' on that floor).

This. I play exclusively in cutaway mode so I'm never going to use a true attic room. Peering in amongst whatever roofing surrounds it is just too irritating. Being able to fine-tune the eaves helped some. I'm trying to visualize how this could work and I think they could put a 4th setting on the UI where walls are still up/cutaway but roofs are down.

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Is there anything ts3 didnt have? :D:D yes to attics!!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    Here's one I made but of course it doesn't look like a real attic :(

R1Flqbl.png
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2019
    There are attics on TS4....your sim can go inside a roof as long as there's enough height for the sim to be there.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Where ?
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    There are attics on TS4....your sim can go inside a roof as long as there's enough height for the sim to be there.

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Where ?

The Base Game.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

And unless you have walls completely down, you can't see what your Sim is doing in there (not without weird acrobatics with the camera angles or using glass roofs). Plus, trying to access interactive items within the roof space frequently requires lowering the roof first.
    I'd love that space usable as it is now but with the ability for the roof to be half-down when I'm in cutaway mode. Aka making the roof space a room as long as it's tall enough to accommodate a full-height Sim.
  • MochiMommaMochiMomma Posts: 41 Member
    Personally, I think roofs in general are the most frustrating thing when it comes to building! I constantly have them clip in to rooms (apparently using fencing as banisters to have an open view to the first floor really screws with the game in recognizing the space as a room). I've made a few attics, there are mods you can download with objects that make a slanted wall for that low-ceiling, attic-feel. But I agree, then the camera does that weird-bouncy, jilting around nonsense if you try to zoom in.
  • NADYSOPHIENADYSOPHIE Posts: 356 Member
    edited September 2019
    I would love attics I did make an attic kinda, by following a tutorial video.

*Its so annoying that I don't know how to upload pics in here but well*
    You just need to host your picture on a picture hosting website (I use Imgur now that tinypic closed) then copy the sharing link and paste it in your post (on imgur you click “get share links” and copy the one for forums). There’s also a tutorial on this forum that’s much clearer than my explanations :)
    NADYSOPHIE wrote: »
    I would love attics I did make an attic kinda, by following a tutorial video.

*Its so annoying that I don't know how to upload pics in here but well*

edited September 2019
    Ok so here is my attic. it was the best I could do. I'm not that great at this.
    The house I downloaded from somewhere I don't remember where. The only thing I made was the attic. This house only had 2 floors and I made an 3rd floor.

S9BdJPJ.png
    http:RFUiH2c.jpg//
    XT0QQ7U.jpg
    C2MHJbV.png
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    @NADYSOPHIE Wow hey that attic is beautiful! Is it functional too? It looks amazing either way.
    ---

But yeah, I would love an actual non-cheaty way to create functional attics.
    Being able to raise the base of the roof would be great as well; like, having some sort of half-wall on the attic floor before the roof begins. Am I making sense?
    This would make it a lot more easier to place furniture there, as well as being realistic. My parents' house irl has an attic like that.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    Yes please! I have so many houses I'd love to add attic spaces to. It doesn't quite feel right that all these big houses don't have attics to explore.
    Nice!! See, you made it a bedroom, that's something I'd like to be able to do as well, use the space under the roofs for extra bedrooms.
    The house I downloaded from somewhere I don't remember where. The only thing I made was the attic. This house only had 2 floors and I made an 3rd floor.

S9BdJPJ.png
    XT0QQ7U.jpg
    C2MHJbV.png
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

S9BdJPJ.png
    XT0QQ7U.jpg
    C2MHJbV.png

This is awesome!! Do you have the link to that tutorial? :D
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited September 2019
    Yes please. i remember when Graham in the very beginning said that attics were possible and that he has seen it, but a square box under a roof is NOT an attic. An attic is when the roof goes off in the roof design and where you can add wooden panels on the ceiling. Otherwise its just like building another floor.

So, get that promise ready, cause we sure are.
    edited September 2019
    SimTrippy wrote: »

This is awesome!! Do you have the link to that tutorial? :D

Yes I used this tutorial.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JgRb6Rf64o

Also you should see this amazing build to have inspiration for your attics. I really liked the attic of this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF6kDJ2Mvyo

Ah the attics made are functional the sims really go there and use the stuff without any problems.