Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Closed.

SkeilahSkeilah Posts: 1,762 Member
Closed.
koppTCP.pngSubscribe to my WordPress blog to stay updated!
Post edited by Skeilah on

Comments

• TitaniaDioxideTitaniaDioxide Posts: 1 New Member
    This seems like fun! I've read through the instructions, but haven't started/tried the challenge yet, so let me see what questions I have so far.

Sitting on the couch - do you add 1 block and a living room-related item *every* time they sit on the couch? That seems like it's gonna be overpowered, but I haven't tried it yet.

Handiness skill - Above, you say that we must force the sim to repair broken objects. How would the sim ever learn handiness independently? Will they read skill books by free will?

Music skill - can we earn blocks for more than one music skill? I.E., if the sim learns violin first, can they also gain blocks from each level of guitar they learn?

What happens if a sim's area gets blocked off to the point where they can't expand without encroaching on another sim's space? For example, left middle sim expands to the left and up a bit, middle top sim expands down. Their spaces touch and block off the area around the top left sim's room, and they can no longer expand. Do they lose? Does their room get deleted?

What happens if a sim dies? If they catch on fire or are electrocuted or doesn't feed themselves?

Thanks so much for this challenge suggestion!
  • SkeilahSkeilah Posts: 1,762 Member
    Thanks for the questions! I’ll try to answer them as good as I can!

Sitting on the couch - Yes, you add 1 block and a living room-related item EVERY time they go sit on the couch. In my testgames I replaced the couches when I could for beds, and I only added a couch when there was a next oppurtunity again. I know everyone is going to play it different and maybe it will be overpowered, but now I could not say. The few contestants of mine who had a couch, only got on it to nap a bit and that doesn’t count. If you have requests for changing something in it, I’m always open for it :)

Handiness skill - You can learn the handiness skill by placing a woodworking table in your house. I’ve had some contestants who tried it by free will!

Music skill - Oh, that’s a good one. I would say yes, but you only get a radio with your first learning music skill instrument.

When there’s no space for someone to expand anymore, it’s over for that contestant. You count the blocks of that contestant and that’s his final score. It’s your task to see where there is place or not. If there’s no place, you can’t expand. Life is hard, so is this game :P

For catching fire I can change the rules a bit when you may buy your kitchen. Maybe I’ll add an item you can place: the utility panel. Does that sound like an option? Let’s just hope they won’t die from electrocution, because I don’t have a solution for that hahahahaha. We as the ‘Gods’ of this game can’t let them just die in their house. When they don’t feed theirselves (which did not happen in my playtests) and you really see they are going to die soon, you are going to feed them by force, but then they will get a punishment like when they need to do a forced repair: something else will dissapear.

Does this make everything clear?

• lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
    First off, great challenge. Very well thought out and organized. I attempted it. I failed. Just not for me.

Five minutes in...

I completely disregarded the whole light and wallpaper/flooring thing. I like to see things and I like them to look clean cut. I just did plain white walls and some light wood flooring so everything is airy and bright and the sim is the main focus and put a subtle saucer light in. I foresee other players doing the same. I also switched the couches out with chairs. That's all they need: a chair. I don't care if they never sleep.

Thirty minutes later.... (Sim time maybe ten minutes)

Holy fuzzballs I hate this challenge. It takes forever. Eight sims is too many. Four, maybe, but eight is impossible. I'm thirty minutes in and all the sims have gotten their video game skill so they got the desk, the computer and the chair. Two others got fitness so they got a treadmill. This is painful. Challenges with sims locked in a room are great but this going and in and out of build mode and keeping score on paper and switching between tabs to see what I do next is arduous. This is work, not fun.

This took you a lot of time and effort to set up. In theory, I could see this being a great challenge. Certainly there are people out there who would enjoy challenges like this, but I am not one of those people. I think the big thing is that when you're not constantly checking skills and actions, you're going in and out of build mode and sometimes I just want to let my sims drive completely and not have to check their status. I love challenges, but I definitely prefer them less structured. The Black Widow and Runaway Teen are my favorite. I failed the 100 Baby after three kids. I am not cut out for the rules but I think simmers who enjoy building and rigorous challenges would like this.

Might come back and try to do more tomorrow because I'd really like to see how the building of the room willy nilly will turn out.
    Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls
    @lzbthnndgls No problem for disregarding the wallpaper/floor thing. Maybe I'll delete it later because the thing with plain white walls and light wood flooring also sounds interesting. Some of my rooms are a little dark, hehe. I've also been thinking to delete the wall-lamp thing and just put a bright ceiling light. Well, I'm gonna update my building lot someday and then re-upload it in the Gallery. First, I'm just noting things. Thanks for thinking with me!

You are going hard with just giving them a chair xD But then, almost all my sims could switch the couch with a bed before evening fell, so maybe... It's also something to think about.

You also gave me another idea! I think I'm also going to make the little variation of this challenge with four contestants and then maybe a 25x25 building lot? I must agree that eight contestants to begin with is really hard and for people who like to try this but don't want to go hard mode, this will be a good second option!

I also must agree with the hard work there's in this challenge. I just printed the important gameplay list to put it next to my score paper. But I warned beforehand that you would be switching and pausing and stuff continuously. Sorry if this challenge made you a little stressed or something, but I'm glad you thought along with me. You gave me some great ideas!
    Skeilah wrote: »
    You also gave me another idea! I think I'm also going to make the little variation of this challenge with four contestants and then maybe a 25x25 building lot? I must agree that eight contestants to begin with is really hard and for people who like to try this but don't want to go hard mode, this will be a good second option!

I also must agree with the hard work there's in this challenge. I just printed the important gameplay list to put it next to my score paper. But I warned beforehand that you would be switching and pausing and stuff continuously. Sorry if this challenge made you a little stressed or something, but I'm glad you thought along with me. You gave me some great ideas!

I'd love to try that "Easy mode" challenge. Sounds a lot less moving around. I know you warned about it, but in my head, I was like, hey I'll give it a shot. Maybe it'll be easy. Boy was I wrong. But hey, it's a challenge. I picked it up and played it for about another ten minutes and still haven't gotten much further. I think narrowing it down to just four sims and starting off in the 3x3 rooms would be easier. There would be more watching and less doing.

I'd love to try that "Easy mode" challenge. Sounds a lot less moving around. I know you warned about it, but in my head, I was like, hey I'll give it a shot. Maybe it'll be easy. Boy was I wrong. But hey, it's a challenge. I picked it up and played it for about another ten minutes and still haven't gotten much further. I think narrowing it down to just four sims and starting off in the 3x3 rooms would be easier. There would be more watching and less doing.

I'll update you when I made the Easy mode! I don't have much time to do it right now, but maybe in a couple of hours, hehe.

I'll update you when I made the Easy mode! I don't have much time to do it right now, but maybe in a couple of hours, hehe.

Lol, a couple of hours. Sure, I'll only stay awake a few more hours...now it's 5 am.
    edited September 2019

Lol, a couple of hours. Sure, I'll only stay awake a few more hours...now it's 5 am.

Oh yeah, forgot about time differences. Right here it's noon. So yeah, I still have a couple of hours :P

Just to be curious, why are you up at 5am??? :o
    edited September 2019
    The easy-mode building lot is downloadable right here.
    - 4 contestants
    - Building lot 20x15

I'll also add it in my website.