Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A sims 4 fan trying out the sims 3 and wow

BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
Hi all. I am in no way bashing the sims 4 in this thread because I love that game and will never stop playing it. So the last time I played the sims 3 I was pretty young so I dont remember much about it, plus I didn't have a good pc and I couldn't play without crashing so I eventually gave up until sims 4 came out.

Now fast forward years later. After reading so many threads about how amazing the sims 3 gameplay is and watching a werewolf video from supernatural, and the trailer for generations on youtube I was sold, and so decided to try it for myself to see what all the fuss is about. I still had the uninstalled base game and pets in origin from years ago so I installed it.

Apart from the graphics and ugly sims that I could not make look good even if somebody paid me,I was thoroughly impressed. And I was surprised how many features are already in the base game that I waited years for to have in sims 4. We literally get a whole city with a beach and everything. I waited so long for island living just to get a beach (and sims can not even ride a boat together ) :'( and we had to wait for city living to get a taste of city life. lol pretty sad. Sims were protesting outside of the school and other sims having picnics at the park. Not at a table but on the ground which I thought was pretty cool. Always wanted to do that in sims 4. It felt lively.
When you cancel an action it actually cancels everytime. I fight with my sims on 4 to cancel an action. A taxi drove me around! Wow!
It goes without saying that the open world is fun of couse.

It was so weird but so cool controlling pets. So many kinds too!! And horses are amazing!! So many little details like form a group which didnt come with the sims 4 at first. ( I forget if they added it as a patch or with get together.) anyway, I only played for about two hours so I'm sure there are so many more things I will be wowed with. I feel like I have so much already and I only have one expansion.

Oh and there were so many traits I didnt know what to choose! A trait randomizer was already there, the color swatch people talk about. I really liked the way relationships are set up.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how sims personalies are because I was never a fan of the emotions system that changes every second yet gives them no personality or reactions.

What I plan to do now is buy all of the sims 3 expansions on steam and rotate between 3 and 4. I'm excited to see what family play offers because it really lacks in sims 4 which was always my biggest disappointment.
I can honestly say the only thing better about sims 4 is the graphics, art style, and my ability to play with gender to create beautiful sims that are pleasant to look at and photograph.
However,I now better understand what you guys complain about here. :D:D:D
Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Nice to see Simmers try out more than one iteration. I think some of the best Sims ideas come from playing more than one Sims main game. I really appreciate you being open minded trying the game out and oh if you love the horse you must try the unicorns. I told a friend about them and she squealed. I actually tried a five trait mod out for the Sims 4 and it actually does help round out Sims more because there are more spaces for both positive and negative traits to fit. Anyway happy Simming.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    Just FYI, the sims3 site is still up there for downloading great player made things free from the exchange. Sims, worlds, lots and misc. and you can specify no cc.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    TS3 surpasses TS4 in many fronts.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    I find it interesting to read your opinion on TS3 because I also bought it a few days ago (I had only played TS4 before) and even though there are a lot of things to do I did not like it.
    I don't really know why but I couldn't really get attached to my Sims. So after a session of a couple hours I didn't really want to play again and I haven't...
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
  • cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    edited August 2019
    There are a lot of us who never moved on from TS3 because it has everything we need. Open worlds, stunning scenery, unique traits and personalities, the colour wheel and patterns mean you can customise almost everything and textures look more realistic. With the amount of content we got from every EP, SP and the Store you can truly play out any story you wish.

I have played the same family since 2010 and it's still going. If you have a good processor and graphics card, the game looks really nice on ultra settings. Feel free to post about your gameplay over on the Sims 3 General Discussion :)
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    akaniki0 wrote: »
    Just FYI, the sims3 site is still up there for downloading great player made things free from the exchange. Sims, worlds, lots and misc. and you can specify no cc.

Thanks I'll definitely check it out!!
    coco wrote: »
    There are a lot of us who never moved on from TS3 because it has everything we need. Open worlds, stunning scenery, unique traits and personalities, the colour wheel and patterns mean you can customise almost everything and textures look more realistic. With the amount of content we got from every EP, SP and the Store you can truly play out any story you wish.

I have played the same family since 2010 and it's still going. If you have a good processor and graphics card, the game looks really nice on ultra settings. Feel free to post about your gameplay over on the Sims 3 General Discussion :)

That's great to hear! I will do thanks. I got a pretty good gaming pc so hopefully I dont have any issues.
    edited August 2019
    That's great to hear! I will do thanks. I got a pretty good gaming pc so hopefully I dont have any issues.
    I will admit that the game isn't without its fault. Unfortunately it's 32-bit which means that it can only use around 3.5gb of RAM without crashing or throwing save errors. But if you're willing to use mods, they can really help with some of the optimisation. If you need any help, or want someone to check your computer specs there are some great people in the Help Centre. For example; the game won't recognise newer graphics cards so that's something we need to manually edit in the game files. I hope you have fun with it :)
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2019
    I never liked the Sims 3 but I like Sims 4. I pretty much hated the graphics, the store and how badly TS3 ran on my PC. Sims 2 and 4 are far better in my opinion. I like the more cartoon style graphics though. I don't want realistic looking sims.
    @sharonia This thread isn't about bashing other games. I'm sorry that you seem to hate TS3 so much. I feel the opposite way and can't stand cartoony graphics and prefer having more detail. I'm only here to give some useful tips to Babykittiejade.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    coco wrote: »
    @sharonia This thread isn't about bashing other games. I'm sorry that you seem to hate TS3 so much. I feel the opposite way and can't stand cartoony graphics and prefer having more detail. I'm only here to give some useful tips to Babykittiejade.

Giving an opinion isn't bashing but you can take it that way if you want.
  • SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
    Sims 4 is the perfect Sims game for me. I just need more hobbies for my sims and i'll be great.
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Simmify wrote: »
    Sims 4 is the perfect Sims game for me. I just need more hobbies for my sims and i'll be great.
    More athletics group activities would be a nice change. One of the reasons why I love Sims vacation is because of all the family activities it had especially the volleyball.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    Awesome!!

As for "the graphics and ugly sims" you will eventually work that out! It took me a while but I did it. <3 There's "no bloom," skins and sliders - they really help a lot. I'm someone who edits almost everyone (in 3 and 4) to at least size their heads down and make 'em look realistic (or a little closer to unique in TS3) because I'm obsessive about visuals and overly persnickety, so if I'm happy with the look and effort I put in, anyone who loves the gameplay should be ok. :D;)

And Sunset Valley isn't a city but it has that cute little downtown and there's a second base game town you can download (with another cute little downtown). So that's two base game cute little town square areas, yes.

https://store.thesims3.com/
    https://store.thesims3.com/riverview.html

Obviously you have more than the base game though, as you have pets, but yeah; it's a great base game, I remember.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • TwicelikeyTwicelikey Posts: 176 Member
    Good that you enjoy TS3 more. I wish I could say the same but my multiple attempts to get back into TS3 has failed miserably. I just overall enjoy 4 more than 3 regardless of its flaws. The last time I tried to play 3 I could only play it for like..10 mins and I found myself going back to 4. Maybe someday I will get that excitement I had for 3 back but at this current moment, I prefer 4.

It's not perfect and I surely won't pretend it is. But there's just something about it that draws me into it. Maybe it's just how the sims look. I can't really enjoy something if I'm not pleased with what i'm seeing. Now that I think about it, when I started to enjoy 3 years ago, it was after I grabbed a bunch of mods to make the sims look better. Anyways, the point is. Have fun, at the end of the day, it's truly about what you enjoy playing most.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited August 2019
    The personalities from past iterations easily defeats what we have now in The Sims 4.

In terms of beauty, CAS, multitasking and environment eye candy, I do love TS4 more than what we had before. That’s it though.

Gives me SimCity (2013) vibes. ;)
    Post edited by Hestia on
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2019
    Amandèle wrote: »
    I find it interesting to read your opinion on TS3 because I also bought it a few days ago (I had only played TS4 before) and even though there are a lot of things to do I did not like it.
    I don't really know why but I couldn't really get attached to my Sims. So after a session of a couple hours I didn't really want to play again and I haven't...

For some it is an older game and therefore some do not like playing an older game. When I play Sims 3 I always wish that Sims 4 have more to play with but the state it is in I do not have that joy. I cannot enjoy it like the older versions because it lacks expandability and many features that can bring out Sims 4 more.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    Amandèle wrote: »

Let us know what you think of it! ;)
    Twicelikey wrote: »
    Good that you enjoy TS3 more. I wish I could say the same but my multiple attempts to get back into TS3 has failed miserably. I just overall enjoy 4 more than 3 regardless of its flaws. The last time I tried to play 3 I could only play it for like..10 mins and I found myself going back to 4. Maybe someday I will get that excitement I had for 3 back but at this current moment, I prefer 4.

It's not perfect and I surely won't pretend it is. But there's just something about it that draws me into it. Maybe it's just how the sims look. I can't really enjoy something if I'm not pleased with what i'm seeing. Now that I think about it, when I started to enjoy 3 years ago, it was after I grabbed a bunch of mods to make the sims look better. Anyways, the point is. Have fun, at the end of the day, it's truly about what you enjoy playing most.

I know what you mean about the looks I cant let go of sims 4 for that reason. After I played with gender and downloaded all kinda of cc and makeup for them they look amazing. And I love watching their different face expressions on ultra graphics Haha.
    That's why I decided to just play both.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,833 Member
    I love them all. Unfortunately I only have time for one version. Also when I tried rotating between 3 and 4 I found myself missing features from the game I wasn't playing and getting confused about what features were in which game. I do hope to get back to 3 one day.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    If you can afford it, do it. I bought the packs for 3 and 4 as they came out and dare not think of what I spent overall but it was definitely easier that way. Rather like a mortgage!

I'm sticking to Sims 4 though as it suits my game style and I like a game in development more. I sometimes wish one could donate one's old games to those that want them more as you can with books and toys.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    Ah, yes, but have you tried Sims2? Glad you're enjoying Sims3, but personally, I had to install about 20+ of NRaas mods, just to keep the dang game from crashing. I play on a gaming rig, too. :o But, if it does something for you, that's great. I just recently uninstalled it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    TS3 surpasses TS4 in many fronts.

I agree. I love both Sims 2 and Sims 3 better than Sims 4 and I like playing all the Sims games. i go back and forth between 3 and 4 mostly but still play Sims 2 occasionally. Sims 4 is easier to create in build mode and modify body type in CAS.

@Simburian I bought all the backs when they first came out too.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    @GalacticGal I also have a dedicated gaming PC and TS3 is too unstable. I can’t play it with everything without a lot of mods installed.

——

I do always commend on how fantastic the developers have put in so much depth to past iterations. I think TS3 would have more of a positive reception from the player-base if it was more stable as vanilla with all EPs/SPs.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    @GalacticGal I also have a dedicated gaming PC and TS3 is too unstable. I can’t play it with everything without a lot of mods installed.

——

I do always commend on how fantastic the developers have put in so much depth to past iterations. I think TS3 would have more of a positive reception from the player-base if it was more stable as vanilla with all EPs/SPs.

I agree. I loved the open world. I loved the Trait system. I also loved the ability to create swatches in build/buy mode so that the furniture would match, particularly the color of the wood. But all of this simply clogged up the system and lent itself to the instability of the game, itself. Pity, that. In the end there was no room to focus on the Sims, themselves. I found them boring. They couldn't even sit and converse at a table by themselves. I loved that from Sims2. In fact, left on their own (full autonomy) they were hilarious. That was my litmus-test for Sims4.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/