Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Computer Question

Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
Hello everybody,
I have a quick computer question. I’ve been looking into upgrading my RAM. Currently I have 8GB which seems a little on the lower side as far as gaming goes. My computer itself has a Ryzen 7 2700x CPU, a Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB.

My question is would you recommend at this point in time upgrading to 32GB? I’d like to future proof my computer not just for sims but for other games I might be interested in as well. I just don’t want to only do 16 and then have to upgrade it again in a year or so. I know 16 is the current standard for gaming so I thought about going up to 32GB instead of just 16. What would any tech savvy people recommend?

Part of my issue is I also know my graphics card will most likely need updating in a couple years as well. My CPU I believe will last a good while so I’m not thinking about that yet. I just don’t want to have to do more RAM upgrades in the future and my computer can have up to 64GB. Also where would you recommend ordering from? I’m a big amazon user but not sure if I should order computer parts from there. And do I need static proof bands to install it like it says in most instructions I have seen about installing RAM?

Thanks guys. I didn’t know where to post this so I hope here is good.

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,576 Member
    I don't think most games would need 32GB and since I think you won't be running like 3 games at once, 16GB is more than enough.

32GB is more like if you're someone doing a lot of video processing or rendering animation or 3D stuff (like literal rendering of your work, and not like a game loading the world or something).
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Thank you @DeKay for your input. I have a quick question if you can answer. Would more memory speed up my load times at all? They aren’t slow but I’m curious as to what more RAM will do for my game besides let me multitask in the background. Currently I’m using over 6GB with sims loaded in a bigger save file with nothing but sims running. So I'm using a large chunk of what I have available doing nothing but playing sims. I just want to know if it will do anything for my gameplay?
  • LadyPenguinLadyPenguin Posts: 21 Member
    I need help with my account and I have no idea where to post this. It is extremely frustrating not being able to start my own threads. If a support member sees this, please respond.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited August 2019
    If you've gotten along with 8 GB thus far, then chances are you aren't the type of person who needs 32 GB. 16 GB is fine and will most likely be fine for the foreseeable future for most people. The exception would be people doing things like rendering videos or streaming while playing their games. If you go and buy another 8GB stick, try to make sure it's identical to the one you currently have. If your motherboard has more than 2 slots for memory, make sure you place the memory in the correct slots. I wouldn't recommend anyone to go inside their computer without an anti-static band but between you and me, you'll probably be alright if you're just popping a ram stick in there. But, if you plan on upgrading again down the line anyway, then you might as well pick one up now. Amazon is fine. Newegg is another one, but their prices are usually pretty similar to Amazon's anyway.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,576 Member
    edited August 2019
    Akl500P wrote: »
    Thank you DeKay for your input. I have a quick question if you can answer. Would more memory speed up my load times at all? They aren’t slow but I’m curious as to what more RAM will do for my game besides let me multitask in the background. Currently I’m using over 6GB with sims loaded in a bigger save file with nothing but sims running. So I'm using a large chunk of what I have available doing nothing but playing sims. I just want to know if it will do anything for my gameplay?

Hello! Like what Cupid said, I think if you are not experiencing any slowness in your game, I think your RAM is fine and adding way more won't make much of a difference in that aspect.
    RAM is more for the amount of multitasking it allows the computer to handle effectively but it doesn't speed up things the more you add the RAM, unless of course you are already multi tasking a lot and are already experiencing lags. You need a better processor or an SSD if you want to speed up times. However SSDs don't really affect the load times in TS4 except the first initial booting up of the game.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif