March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fairy Question

So I know it's been confirmed that fairies will be familiars instead of a life state but with the way magic is being handled, I feel like you could still make a fairy pretty easily anyways, maybe even without mods. "Untamed" magic sounds like some chaotic energy to me and that's the kind of magic I think of when I think of fae folk already.

My point being, I think the people upset about the fairies might not need to be because of the different schools of magic. Ofc, we'll need to see actual gameplay before making a final call.

Comments

• IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I'll probably use the fairy costume and choose spells that fit. I think it will be possible based on what they give us.
  • SimeterySimetery Posts: 66 Member
    I plan on eventually making a couple Fae sims that are more like elves instead of typical winged faeries. I think with the way magic looks in this new pack there will tons of ways you can play!
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    im not particularly interested in fairies anyways but it would be neat to have a gamepack for them and a world that is "tiny" to regular sims but normal size for them. like instead of trees its blades of grass and giant mushrooms, if you know what i mean.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I am still hoping we will be able to play as 'Fair Folk' in a future pack. I don't mean cute little people with wings or anything like the familiars in RoM, but something more versatile like vampires and (hopefully) spellcasters are. Of course we haven't seen just how versatile spellcasters are yet, but I'm not sure it will be enough to cover fairies for me in an entirely satisfying way. I want mischievous tricksters and changelings with a beautiful fairy world. There are so many different and interesting interpretations of fairies/elves etc. too and I think it would be a real shame to leave fairies out.
  • linkinsenpailinkinsenpai Posts: 25 Member
    I really would like a proper pack for fae, as they're the lifestate I was most excited for after witches. And I think there are so many possibilities of what to do with them!

I do not have a lot of hope at this point, though. I'm not sure why they did it this way, because right now, it just seems like they're adding faeries in a disappointing fashion. And if they haven't even fixed plantsims, what hope is there for faeries, you know?
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    One of the speculations for RoM (that, of course, seems not to be true as far as we know) was that unlocking the magic would unlock a kind of playable overlay for magic sims that other sims can't see (they way only the child could see their imaginary friend in TS3, or only toddlers see the cool animations on their playset in TS4). I do think that would be a really fun idea to transfer over to a fairy pack, as "fairy sight" or "fairy ointment" is a part of so much lore.

So the pack could include a small new world with everything looking really big, like suggested above, but more importantly have a really in-depth playable overlay for all the existing worlds. Maybe objects would look different to fairies (like, idk, all bars now have a clickable "fairy bar" on them for ordering fairy drinks) and fairies could see other fairies as fairies, and maybe also see like auras/overlays for other occults or for sims moods or something, but you click over to a regular sim and everything looks normal.

I think this would also allow the pack to "invade" the world without invading the world for players who don't want it to, because if you don't play a fairy none of that stuff is there.

But I do like the idea of a magic pack where the magic just kind of layers over the worlds we already have. Probably unlikely, as I imagine it would be a lot of work to go through every world like that, but it sounds fun to play. Especially playing a combination home, where someone is "playing Fairy Bride" (marrying an unknowing mortal) and trying to keep the secret.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    Unless I can be an actual tiny fairy flying around, I'm not interested. As far as it is now, if they're just sims with wings and magic, that's too similar to spellcasters to warrant an entire different pack just for them.

We have fairy costumes with the Halloween pack, and we have a whole branch of mischief magic. I think it stands that with the natural versatility of spellcasters and different types of magic, this pack works well as a catch-all. Sorcerer? Sure! Witch? Sure! Fairy? Absolutely! A fairy is a type of magic user, so jump all over that with this pack. Personally, I'd find a separate fairy pack very redundant.

a63ftuN.png
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    Monday wrote: »
    Unless I can be an actual tiny fairy flying around, I'm not interested. As far as it is now, if they're just sims with wings and magic, that's too similar to spellcasters to warrant an entire different pack just for them.

We have fairy costumes with the Halloween pack, and we have a whole branch of mischief magic. I think it stands that with the natural versatility of spellcasters and different types of magic, this pack works well as a catch-all. Sorcerer? Sure! Witch? Sure! Fairy? Absolutely! A fairy is a type of magic user, so jump all over that with this pack. Personally, I'd find a separate fairy pack very redundant.

this is what i want, the ability to actually fly as a sim. not turn into a little floating light ball, actually fly.
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,668 Member
    I think this fairy isn't that fairy. Don't know if anyone noticed that in the hidden world tree in Willow Creek, there's some white light floating around the shrubs, if zoom in can heard laughing and there's a figure with wings in the light.

I think in TS there's two kinds of fairies: small fairies and humanoid fairies
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited August 2019
    I think this fairy isn't that fairy. Don't know if anyone noticed that in the hidden world tree in Willow Creek, there's some white light floating around the shrubs, if zoom in can heard laughing and there's a figure with wings in the light.

I think in TS there's two kinds of fairies: small fairies and humanoid fairies

@Shadow_Assassin In RL its believed that fairies is a whole world of many kinds of creatures, like in the Maleficent movie where there humanoid ones, animal looking ones, werid looking ones, etc... Its like a beehive where there are different types of fairies to take care of their realm and all of that.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited August 2019
    I would like it if we got faeries in TS4, provided they would be like the Fae and not like Tinkerbell. (These were my favourite lifestate in TS3). They could come as part of an EP like mermaids did, as their magic (while powerful) wouldn’t have to be complex or spell-derived like that of spellcasters. Their magic would be more nature-based and centred on the natural world anyway. If we do get another supernatural creature next, though, in fairness it ought to be something very different and without magic, like werewolves or robots. Or perhaps we could get decent zombies this time, and have a pack like Strangerville where we play out the Sims version of a zombie apocalypse storyline. As for plantsims, since they are in the basegame and a temporary affliction, I hope they get a revamp and improvements in the future as part of a patch.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,347 Member
    edited August 2019
    Having not played previous itterations of Faerie in Sims, but knowing a not-insignificant amount about the folklore (mostly English/European, sadly) IRL, my ideal Faerie pack would have a fairly simple magic structure (maybe 2-3 new interactions each on Mean and Friendly, 4-5 new ones on Mischief, and a handful under a "faerie" category), but a very, very extensive CAS for the Occult form. New body types, new facial features, new skincolors... maybe even new hand and foot shapes. And the human glamour would work more or less like the Alien disguise.

But I'm good on magical sims for a while, and am hoping for Werewolves next... and before 2021.
    Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • AvianatorAvianator Posts: 188 Member
    I'm also desperately hoping for a fairy lifestate.

A fairy themed pack could also be our only chance to ever get a proper fantasy themed world...a world that our sims can actually live in.
    RoM's magical realm is gorgeous but sadly it's "just" a secret lot making it very limited for story telling, customizing and setting up our own population to live there.

The idea of magical floating islands however is something I would love to see more fleshed out in a potential fairy pack. They just should allow our sims to actually live on these islands by offering a few lots on each.

There could be a "bright" island with rolling hills full of flowers, rainbows and beautiful magical architecture for those joyful kind of fairies and there could be a "gloomy" island with a demonic atmosphere, a dark sky, dead trees and derelict ancient ruins for those dark and maybe even evil kind of fairies.

That would offer so much potential for creating our own fantasy stories.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,104 Member
    I want in lifestates in order of importance:
    1. Werewolves
    2. Fairies
    3. Genies
    4. Hinds
    5. Sphynx
    6. Cat People
  • DaphneyyyDaphneyyy Posts: 70 Member
    Hopefully fairies come in ROM.
    OldfashionedDearKestrel-max-1mb.gif
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    edited September 2019
    Daphneyyy wrote: »
    Hopefully fairies come in ROM.

Fairies are familars in RoM. Basically, just balls of light with wings that protect your Sim.

I'd like to see real Fae added.

*I remember what they remind me of now - "Fairies" from the Bubble Witch game.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif