Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do your sims stay in touch with relatives?

I've been working on my online Residents Registry where I keep track on my sims, and I noticed that quite often my sims don't stay in touch with relatives, at least not if they move to different worlds. It's kind of strange that twins don't see each other after growing up, or a household never invites grandparents over to see their grandkids. I'm now just feeling bad about this all because I'd rather like my families to keep contact.

When sims in my game marry and wants to throw a huge wedding party, it normally turnms out that their siblings and opther close family is not even listed in their contacts. So I often end up throwing a small wedding event instead, because it would be too much hazzle establish all those contacts before the event.

How about you? Do you remember to visit relatives, or invite them over? Do your sims stay in touch even after moving out of sight?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I make groups for families (with a mod for unlimited members). This way it's easier to know where everyone stands at first glance and to organize family gatherings.

I only have a few extended families not living together, so the number of groups is manageable.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I try, but it's sometimes hard to fit it in. The main thing is that if my adult sims have an extra 30 minutes or so in the evening, especially if their socials are low, I'll have them call mom or dad or a sibling. Usually they manage it not every day, but a few times a week. That's usually enough to keep the relationship from disappearing completely. It's easier now with Seasons; I usually invite family members over for the premade fall and winter holidays, and maybe Parents Day.

Parents Day is a holiday I added that is similar to Mothers Day, but obviously for both parents. It's on a Monday in late spring (after Flower Bunny Fest). There's a grand feast (usually breakfast), they attend holiday ceremonies together, and the family members give flowers, give gifts, and tell stories. I usually have the kids give their parents and grandparents daisies, as a nod to Mothers Day carnations.

Beyond that, it depends on the story I have in mind for the individual sims. Sometimes young adult siblings who are super-close, especially if they live in the same neighborhood, will hang out and play cards together in the evening, hang out at city festivals, etc.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    My Sims all on their own forge strong family ties, especially my Cantrell family while living under the same roof. Since I have played them starting from scratch more than a few times, I have had the siblings move out, in the past. They do stay in touch via phone and invitation to various ongoing events. "Hey, I hear there's something going on down at the ruins, want to come check it out?" Even in my other save. the two young marrieds are often called by either parents' household to do thus and so.

Sorry to hear it's not happening so much in your game. :'(
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    When my heir aged up to YA and married, I moved him and his spouse to another world. His parents, siblings, parents-in-law and sister-in-law all visit frequently. My Sims get calls to chat, to visit, and to meet up elsewhere from family all the time. My Sims frequently "think of family member" while doing day-to-day tasks. All this without prompting from me. While I do work to build relationship myself, I find that my Sims pull their own weight in keeping in touch independently.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I often make clubs for families to maintain relationships. I shut off relationship culling in MCCC (except when I forget to switch it back on after updating mods!) so if family relationships have become strong by the time someone moves out, they usually stay that way.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    When my sims relatives move out they always get a key to the family home so they can visit anytime they like. I try to keep my families close.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    When my sims relatives move out they always get a key to the family home so they can visit anytime they like. I try to keep my families close.

I never thought of giving out keys, that a great idea, thanx!
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,847 Member
    I keep forgetting to give out keys but usually, I'll keep up with calls and texts, accept some invitations out, put everyone in groups then call them out, and throw parties for special occasions to keep families close. When I use mccc I'll do the same but quickly cheat everyone's relationship as the family grows.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Now and then. I play a lot of unrelated Sims so it takes a long tie for my Sims to be related to other Sims in my game - especially seeing I control aging. But eventually my sims had grandparents and other relatives I would be sure to gather and invite to dinner at maybe Christmas and birthdays, etc. I do make a point when my sims do have grandparents for the kids to visit the grandparents now and then or for the grandparents to visit them. Some vacations to OR I have invited grandparents a few times in a different save than I am playing now when I had more generations. But right now there are no grandparents in my game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    My sims house keep receiving group of 3 guests that are actually his father, and two brothers, also his late sister. they do keep in touch autonomously without me forcing them to.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    Recently I've mainly been playing a Sim who moved out after getting married. Her dad, sister, and brother-in-law constantly ask to visit. I don't think her mother ever has. She saw her once nearby on the sidewalk, but Mom couldn't talk because she had to get to work.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I make sure they have high relationships before moving out, and get to know the new in-laws before the wedding. I like to add in holidays on the calendar, and make sure to invite family for a meal those days to keep in touch.
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    @Sharonia how do the Sims give out keys?
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Definitely! I moved one of the young adult children out to her new home, then moved her back in for a while for a visit. I created two clubs, family youngsters and family elders, so they can come over all the time. The grandfather lived with the family for a while when grandmother was off travelling.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    CaprianaB wrote: »

It's in one of the "Friendly" interactions, something like "Give residence key"
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2019
    jooxis wrote: »

Yeah it usually comes up as an option when the sim you want to give the key to comes to visit you or you go on an outing with them.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Of course! Family relationships are a very important part of my gameplay. My main household all live together so they have no problem maintaining close relationships. In my second save though I plan for my vampire sim's bloodline to go on and on and spread across the worlds. Being immortal means he will get to know many of his relatives, which is nice. Immediate family members will know each other and remain close unless it is part of the story that they don't or they drift apart. So it depends really on the story and the characters, but generally I like family members to keep in touch.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    The minute a baby is born in my game, I cheat their relationship with everyone in the family line. In my Westbrook rotation, they all get together for holidays and such. For generation 2 of that family, the sisters got together for lunch or dinner every week. The family is huge now so it's a little harder but everyone knows the remaining generation 2 elder, Eliza (not Pancakes). She's sort of taken on the role of matriarch, even though the majority of family members are her nieces/nephews and great-neices/nephews.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Yes and thanx to get together it is pretty easy, I just make family clubs, 1 or 2 clubs per family depending on how big the fam is.
    If it's 2 clubs I got the two clubpresidents in the same household and just have them both call a clubgathering at the same time.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member

Yeah it usually comes up as an option when the sim you want to give the key to comes to visit you or you go on an outing with them.

Just wondering if give out key was a City Living feature? Not sure if that pack is needed.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Yes. This is the main focus in my gameplay. I only play one household but the majority of actions center around interacting with other households composed of relatives.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited August 2019
    No, because my favorite sims are all orphans.

Edit:

Just wondering if give out key was a City Living feature? Not sure if that pack is needed.

City Living for apartments, Get Famous for houses in general.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    I’m a sucker for planning out family trees when I start a game. I’ll often create grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. I have an extended family I play with twins that just aged up to children. They are very close with their cousins and family always come knocking at their door. I especially love when winter fest rolls around and every “year” one of the family households hosts the rest. It’s chaotic but a true representation lol! Summer is great too because I create summer fest holiday on the calendar and everyone comes for bbq, music, swimming, and sliding. Again chaos abounds and some times there’s drama but it makes me laugh!
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I usually have family clubs, with a mod for over 50 members...though so far, I haven't needed that many! I usually have them all meet at one park (usually the one in Willow Creek) and bring any toddlers along for the ride. I give out residence keys to any family member who would logically have one, basically anyone who grew up in the house. It can definitely get a little hectic, but it sure is fun!
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Depends on my save. Many do keep in touch